Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Hey thanks for posting that Male Bonding video. I am a big Wavves fan (their last two albums + EP) and that reminded me of them.

Built to Spill is my favorite band, I wish their were more bands exactly like them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
That's super weird! I don't think I've heard of anyone with that opinion, so nice to meet you :)

I like a couple songs on the last album (Pat, Life's a Dream) and a couple songs from You In Reverse (Goin') but I was super disappointed with There is No Enemy. There are a couple reggae b-sides from that era that are waaaaay better. I also think they should get Phil Ek to produce their albums again. He's just super. I'm not a HUGE fleet foxes guy but the EP he produced for them is great.

It's going to be quite a while before the next BTS album, according to Doug. 2/5 of the band left right as they were finishing up an album and doug decided to scrap it all and start over. Right now they're just touring to show the new members the ropes and stuff.

Speaking of Modest Mouse, it has been SUPER long since their last album, which is supposed to come out soon. But there last EP was not really my cup of tea at all and their last album was only half good imo so I dunno!

This band isn't super similar but I feel like if you are a fan of either of those you might also like Margot and the Nuclear So & So's esp. Dust of Retreat.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I usually post a new mix every Friday. Here's today's. http://open.spotify.com/user/mattdonaher/playlist/7Ei3VPyaQkp11edARiEz8a

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
If you guys are talking about the hazards of love y'all are dead wrong that album loving rips. King is dead sucks tho.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Is it better than their last 3-4 albums? They haven't caught my attention for a full album since hissing fauna

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I can't believe they took so long to work on this album

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Other than the single on good news (which actually sounds a little reminiscent of karma payment type song) I think the rest of the songs sound just as modest mouse-y. Bukowski and poo poo and a bunch of others have a real modest mouse feel.

We were dead...while its a good album, that's where the band reaaaaalllly became too slick.

No ones next is trash other than whale song.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
The part in the new song where he talks about lawn mowers is cringeworthy

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Lol go take a nap in your autumn bed

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
No legit a lot of these songs are garbage and almost all of no ones next was junk. It's not a "better when I was young" it's a "these songs are boring and way over produced" and have no where near the amount of feeling or emotional depth coming off them. They aren't as interesting.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Yes. No ones next are literally we were dead b sides and everything since just sounds like we were dead b sides

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Building nothing out of something is one of my top favorite releases from them

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Yeah I don't think they're a punk band that album is straight BoH

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
That's a great song. Favorite band of all time. Last album was weak save a few songs. This one sounds good. Wish they would go back with Phil ek

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
It's loving tough to make it as an artist and it takes a lot to call it quits after all that time.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Sufjan album I dunno every song blends together kinda. I like some of his sad pop vocal melodies

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Why did they ever stop using Phil. That guy makes great records

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
IMO the new bts is the best thing they've done in a long time. While I liked tracks off of ancient melodies, you in reverse, and there is no enemy, none of them felt like complete thoughts to me. They didn't feel like albums as much as a collection of songs.

This new one though flows really well, dougs voice is mixed differently and it's interesting. Maybe it's a coincidence since the new members joined, but to me, this is the youngest they've sounded in years. Some really cool parts and the album sounds fresh, not just another collection of songs. It's def. the most similar to perfect from now on era trilogy of albums. Lots of churning. Lots of atmosphere that actually turns into something.

Very solid record. Of my three big ones this year (death cab, modest mouse, bts) I think this and modest mouse made me the most excited that they were actually solid. I have so much love for these bands and it makes me sad when they put something out that isn't compelling. Glad to see Doug and Isaac both still putting out music I enjoy. The death cab album was serviceable but I don't see myself returning to it, or excited to, which for me, is the real test.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Built to spill is my favorite band but I've seen them 12 times or so and their live show is so boring it's pretty much the same set all the time.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I dunno I mean when I see them headline sure I guess but last night I saw them open for brand new (lol) and it was 7 songs just the same stuff they always play.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Having never heard Sufjan before his last album has blown me away and I'm going through his catalog happily.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I am in such love with Sufjan !!!!!!!!!

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Have you heard the new Sufjan?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
IMO Matt and Kim are great openers but boring headliners.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
In our heads is considered their best? Good for them. I loved the albums before that but just never got into that one

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I have never listened to her. I have one friend who thinks her album Y or whatever is one of the best records ever made. what do you think her sctick is?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Yeah she's pretty contrived.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Yeah, 13 years ago.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
The new tame impala is dope

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Is this coming from the position of someone who just doesn't like JN or did you not like the direction? There's at least 6 or 7 uncontroversially amazing songs on there. Less obtuse, more beautiful, all sorts of thematic tangles - it's seriously amazing and dwarfs the first two records.

What are these 6-7 songs? I've got one of her albums, y's? I think? And it's just a loving complicated mess. I'd like to know what songs a fan thinks are amazing and check them out.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I was waiting for her to release the follow-ups A, W, N, S.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
But if you do get in, you will be pretty sleepy :-/

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Cool but maybe pick a less gender specific face...

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
jack white is a loving baby

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Starting? They've been slaying for about a decade

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
So aka ur basic af

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Lol grimes is loving garbage she wouldn't have even been on an oc soundtrack wth is wrong with you people

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Would be worse if Schreiber decided to hold a petty grudge in retaliation and not give one of the most polarizing and interesting people in modern music a lot of attention and (I know, I know) drive views to the site, probably

Grimes is not one of the most polarizing or interfering people in modern music hth

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I've just never heard anyone talk about her irl and I sincerely thought whichever one of you called polarizing and controversial were joking. Kanye has been, at times, a controversial artist. Not taylor swift. Kanye when he did that taylor swift poo poo, yes. Lady gaga sometimes. Miley Cyrus. No one is thinking about grimes. Pitchfork will give her next album below a 7 because they treat their darlings like poo poo after a good review or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

T Bowl posted:

She openly admits to loving Korn, Disturbed, poo poo like that when she was young.

These are just a few reasons why she is polarizing i'd say.

I can't tell if you're dumb or just boring. You're so polarizing.