Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nateron
Mar 9, 2009

What spit?

Lblitzer posted:

This Oneohtrix Point Never is strangely amazing to listen to. I listened to it on a late night drive home this past weekend and it created such a weird atmosphere, basically giving me tunnel vision as I listened to it.

At first I really hated it, thought it was pretentious glitchy nonsense but after giving it 2 more tries I'm actually really liking it. I felt the same way about James Blake's album last year but it grew on me and now I love it.

Anyone else gave it a listen? The wikipedia page on how it was made is kinda interesting, and every reviewer gave it high marks.

I put this album on my ten best last year just for the atmosphere it creates. It is a great album but like any other sample heavy modified "IDM" it needs a place, it's a great night album and a great Google maps album (throw it on while you browse the world, it works great). While driving to it can really throw you for a loop blending the lights of the outside world with the auditory chamber you're riding in.

I do have a few criticisms though, it's way to short and his other albums are nowhere near as composed as Replica. If you brushed it off before definitely give it a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nateron
Mar 9, 2009

What spit?

CLAM DOWN posted:

Deerhunter fuckin rules

Real Name Grover posted:

Another new (and really good IMO) Deerhunter song: "Breakers"

Awesome.looking forward to this album. Loved Halcyon but could not get into Mono. So far so good.

Also if you get a chance to see Lord Huron do so. They put on a great show.

Nateron
Mar 9, 2009

What spit?

gentle pete posted:

The new Deerhunter album is insanely bad. This track in particular sounds like something you'd hear in a car commercial. Well, that's my indie rock opinion. Thanks for reading.

This is a correct opinion. Snakeskin or whatever is really good. The rest of the album is just boring. I was excited after hearing that track and so let down.

Nateron
Mar 9, 2009

What spit?

BonoMan posted:

I went to see U2 in 2000 and PJ Harvey was to be the opener. She got sick and instead we got Nelly Furtado. I still haven't forgiven the universe for that one.

Don't feel bad, in 97 I saw U2 and Smashmouth opened.

Nateron
Mar 9, 2009

What spit?
Man after the new Shins and Real Estate albums being so mediocre I need some cheering up. I was hoping with a lot of my favorite artists releasing this year that it was gonna be great but man, so far it's 3 strikes.

Really wish Lord Huron had another I. The tubes. Recommend me something fun.

Nateron
Mar 9, 2009

What spit?

Still better than most releases this year.

Thanks for The suggestions all ya'll

Nateron
Mar 9, 2009

What spit?

Polo-Rican posted:

So far I like Lost in the Dream slightly more than A Deeper Understanding, but jesus does this guy know how to produce an album. It sounds so good.

I agree with this, but when ADU hits, it wails. There's some real phenomenal tracks here, but its saddled with lackluster songs towards the end.

Nateron
Mar 9, 2009

What spit?

resident posted:

Hot take: Congratulations is their best song.

It was a real good album but it didn't survive
A summer of gypsy hippies in the NP. It was weird but like those cats were headed west.

Nateron
Mar 9, 2009

What spit?

resident posted:

I loving love the energy in all their songs. It's like 90s grunge capitalism fueled hate but without all the self loathing & depression. I grabbed tickets to see them on a Sunday, but now looked at their tour and realized they are playing 3 hrs away on a Saturday night so I might have to do back to back nights so I can at least be appropriately intoxicated for one of them.

God drat. Digging into this album just made my night.

Thank you.

Nateron
Mar 9, 2009

What spit?

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

New Tycho:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-SHHwAJDY8

I'm not digging this one as much as his previous work, which was mostly instrumental. But maybe y'all will dig it more. It's basically synthpop instead of the electro-ambient chillout stuff he used to make.

He hasn't completely lost that style though, as evidenced by his last single:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9G3WPq2744

He's just incorporating vocals in a larger way for the first time on this new album, I suppose.

This is the most “not Tycho” sound I’ve heard him produce and yet, it still sounds like Tycho. Dunno if thats good or bad so far but his catalogue had been getting awfully stale.

Nateron
Mar 9, 2009

What spit?

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

IMO Funeral, Neon Bible and Suburbs is among the best first 3 full length album releases in indie history

Other contenders:
Modest Mouse
LCD Soundsystem

Close but not quite:
Built to Spill (UAW not up to snuff)
Radiohead (PH not up to snuff)
Fiona Apple (too long a gap between WTP and EM, and also I think EM not up to snuff but honestly would need to listen more to really assess)
Phoenix (United not up to snuff)
TV on the Radio (DYBTB and DS both just a little too inconsistent)

This is just off the top of my head, who’s missing?

Interpol? Or is that more turn of the century dad rock?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nateron
Mar 9, 2009

What spit?

Imhotep posted:

The new Fleet Foxes is so good, which isn’t surprising but I think he just keeps getting better and better or at least as I get older and listen to indie music less, I appreciate the style of arrangements he’s been gravitating towards and the like modern classical and art pop influences. The sort of unexpectedly overt Steve Reich style strings on ‘Cradling Mother, Cradling Woman’ are so good and that track also samples an unused Brian Wilson vocal take I guess, but it still sounds very Fleet Foxes.

Idk where to post about the new Oneohtrix Point Never, but it’s real good and more ‘indie’ than most of his other stuff, I guess aside from Black Snow, but that was a very poppy single on an album of weird and unpoppy music. https://youtu.be/MYr5MypHAhQ
I actually like this track more, but I love all three tracks he put out, one is like 22 seconds long though. But this one is more like R plus 7 or something with the lo fi tape warble that the other track has https://youtu.be/EH0pcBZMfEg

Oh poo poo. Didn’t know he’s got new stuff out. Replica may be one my favorite albums of all time. Thanks