Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Just saw Said the Whale last night, and what a show. I have no clue how popular outside of Canada they are, but here's a a pretty great song for people who don't know about them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4y67Gbz0GM

They just released a new album a couple months ago and I'm seriously digging it. It's way less folk-y from their last couple, but they can really make some great rock songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

NwahNerevar posted:

I thought feeling superior to everyone else was the only reason people listened to NMH? I mean it can't be the music surely?

Maybe some people don't have the same taste in music as you? rofl

Said the Whale dropped a new single called I Love You pretty recently. Huge departure from their old style, but it's very catchy. I'm not to sure on how I would compare it to their other material, but I'm excited to hear the upcoming EP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAyU_Fbr77Y

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

if Metric weren't so lovely, unimaginitive, and predictable, i might like them more.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Feist has a new album and it owns

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Mercury rev's first three of Yerself Is Steam/boces/see you on the other side were pretty great, SYOTOS being a little lesser imo, but holds a place in my heart for being the album i was listening to during my final dxm sesh, in which i Puked A Lot. Their first singer was way better tho.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

hughesta posted:

that avalanches record is extremely good btw

yeah

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Putting the Lumineers on track 1, side A in 2021 is kind of hilarious even if they are technically one of the biggest non-mumford folk bands of the past 15 years.

Hey!

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Blue Jeans and the Boy George cover of Video Games are good, imo

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Why would anyone care what pitchfork thinks

the jet review was funny

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

That was like ~20 years ago

yeah, idk anything else they did worthwhile. I'm assuming most of the people who actively used Pitchfork lived in cities without local alt weeklys and before bandcamp made it easy to find bands you like on your own.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

it totally passed me by, but Tokyo Police Club's Champ turned 10 last year and more than ever I'm feeling too aware of the flows of time

https://exclaim.ca/music/article/tokyo_police_club_champ_10th_anniversary_reissue_interview

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

I will never listen to a 2.5 hour long album, not even for Sufjan. Sorry

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

You won't even humor the thought of listening to it in 20-30 minute chunks?

Realistically I'll probably either listen to the first 30 minutes and forget to pick it back up, or I'll put it on as background noise while I clean or something and half pay attention to it. I guess it's more accurate to say that I don't really expect 49 ~3 minute instrumentals to be anything more than a collection of cool sounding stuff he was making but chose not to use in a more compact project that people could realistically digest in a single sitting and devote their attention to, which is fine.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

air- posted:

Autotune? :chloe:

lol

songs too slow for my taste though.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Slandible posted:

Ran through some Chvrches after the new single. The first two albums still hold up really well, but that third one is completely forgettable, maybe one track I like on it. New single is ok, hoping they haven't lost it.

yeah, Graffiti is one of my favourite songs by them, but I didn't really get into the rest of the album. probably had my hopes too high because the track titles make it seem like a dreary and mournful kind of record, but it didn't really dive into the dearths.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Rageaholic posted:

Modest Mouse announced their first new album in 6 years coming next month and put out the first single:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV_5-DKhAvI

I'm glad they're making money, but man is it disappointing to see modest mouse commit to abandoning sick drum and bass parts

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

the weather station listed a whole schwack of tour dates, and it hit me like a ton of bricks that it won't be too long before i can go to a live show again.

unbeatable feeling

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Buschmaki posted:

Just listened to the Love Tara album by Eric's Trip. It's super good!

it's so good. Full of cool interludes and the pacing of the album is incredible. Blinded is such a crazy climax.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

la luz put out a video for a song from their upcoming album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izA3BNWmbC4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Arctic Monkeys suck so loving bad how did they ever have any sort of career.

idk man, they suck so bad. I remember way back one of my friends who really liked them said something like "they're so cool, they always release the worst songs from their albums as singles" after Don't Sit Down or I'll Move Your Chair came out on the radio. Yeah it's so cool to make lovely songs dude.