Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

abraham linksys posted:

new lcd soundsystem song. merry loving christmas :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3kPH2MJzlg

This is a real good song. I wouldn't mind if they went back on their word and reunited for real, but if not, I do hope they put out a single every few years like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhC-7t_pa-U

New Portugal. the Man song that came out yesterday, really cool sampling of Richie Havens (after all, the album is called Woodstock). I like this even more than Feel It Still, and I thought that song was pretty awesome.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Portugal. the Man's new album is out in full now, and with it this really creative video starring Glenn Howerton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN-xVSlnWKQ

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Arcade Fire with another poo poo album. I guess they used up all of their musical talent on The Suburbs.

Like, I don't think you could even make a single good album out of the last two. An okay disco EP maybe.

edit: listening to Funeral to forget that. What the gently caress happened to this band? :(

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 28, 2017

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I don't care about different directions, I loved the Suburbs even though it's quite different than Funeral, but I just feel like the last two are just bad. Glad someone enjoys this one though!

I hope that I like their next album, because otherwise I'll have to stop seeing them live. I don't want this to be me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5jDWciH1Mw

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jul 28, 2017

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I got lucky enough to get tickets to see AF at the Metro next Saturday, I'll make an effort to enjoy the Everything Now tracks live at least.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

angrygodofjebus posted:

Tried and no luck. Going for literally $1500 on stubhub lol. Reminds me of LCD playing two shows there a bit ago. Enjoy, such a small/great venue.

I have a love/hate thing for Metro because if you ever go to the bar or bathroom you're probably ending up in a lovely spot when you come back, but if you're not stuck in the doorway next to the soundbooth it's fantastic!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

The Decemberists just announced a new album and tour. But you can't buy regular tickets yet you need to buy stupid packages because that's now the thing to do.

https://www.cidentertainment.com/events/the-decemberists-tour-2018/

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I can understand why some people hate them. To this day there are a lot of songs Decemberists fans love that just bore the poo poo out of me, like Los Angeles I'm Yours. There's a lot of songs I like though.

quote:

At least for Chicago there is a regular pre-sale starting tomorrow with the code OREGON

Looks like it must've gone onsale sometime overnight :( Here's hoping for the general onsale. They sell out quick in Chicago.

I could buy the dumb package tickets but gently caress spending $265 to see the Decemberists.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 18, 2018

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

angrygodofjebus posted:

Try again my man. I just checked and:

Yeah I got an email with a different offer code at 9:57 that it was happening at 10. Scored seats on the floor in the first row you don't need the silly package for.

The guy who said it's like NPR was a band is kind of right. Chicago Theater is kind of the perfect venue for them.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'm honestly surprised that anyone still cares about The Decemberists considering they were *the* band hipsters fawned over when I was in my teens when albums like Picaresque and The Crane Wife came out. I figured people would've moved on by now, but I guess not?

Actually they got way bigger than ever after the 2011 REM style album. It blew up big enough that they toured for a year and a half when they were planning to do a short tour then take a long break. I prefer the old stuff myself but people have different opinions, you know?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Real Name Grover posted:

Different opinions are great, y'all

Except Everything Now was objectively poo poo

Agreed on both counts

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

A lot of people seem to think there's 3-4 good songs off of both Reflektor and EN. But no one can agree on what they are.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'm just over here thinking "Where the gently caress's the Arcade Fire I loved up until recently?"

A bunch of fuckin weird photography/creative writing/art/music majors became rich as hell and now get to do exactly what they want.

Which is a lot of weird poo poo.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

DoubleCakes posted:

One of my biggest fears is that one day I will meet MGMT because they'll beat me up for pronouncing their name "MGMT" instead of "Management".

The first time I ever spoke it out loud I called them Management and I don't think the other person had any idea who I was talking about. Since then it's MGMT.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

ee oh tee oh

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWWFGQKPXbA

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

resident posted:

The only thing that bothers me about teens at shows is when local laws force the venue to segregate drinkers into a tiny corner with a lovely view. I assume all the kids are tripping on acid or molly anyway so let me enjoy a beer next to them what the gently caress.

They're usually getting shitfaced too, somehow they always get wristbands.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

angrygodofjebus posted:

I can't imagine seeing the Smashing Pumpkins at an arena show in 2018.

The thought of a pudgy, 50 year old Billy Corgan screaming the lyrics to Bodies is pretty sad.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

The Decemberists have been going downhill for quite some time now.

I'm seeing them next month and I'll basically go to the bathroom/get a beer when they play this lovely new stuff I guess.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Show I went to had them play Hazards of Love in its entirety and, maybe...5-6 songs from albums before that one? If it's any indicator, the new stuff is the majority of their shows these days.

Was that on the Hazards of Love tour? Because that was pretty much their setlist for that tour because it was a concept album.

I most recently saw them in 2015 and the setlist wasn't overly heavy on the new album from that year. Hazards of Love and The King is Dead at least had some good songs. https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-decemberists/2015/chicago-theatre-chicago-il-1bcb7d30.html

edit: well I guess it still was like nearly half songs from that newest album, I'd somehow blocked that out. gently caress.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 16, 2018

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Sir Lemming posted:

Jack White's hip-hop credibility is a roller coaster. First a collaboration with Insane Clown Posse, then contributions to A Tribe Called Quest's last album, and now this.

Also, "my hip-hop credibility is a roller coaster" could be one of his lyrics.

My hip hop credibility is a roller coaster
When you gonna ride it? When you gonna ride it?

I have a feeling this is one Third Man vault package I'm going to regret.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Here's an example
If Joe Blow says "Yo, you think like Avagio"
You'll respond "No, that's an insult, yo"
"I live in a vacuum, I ain't got but no one"
Listen up, son

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

whoops, this isn't the vinyl thread!

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 10, 2018

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Has anyone seen the Decemberists on this current tour (or any tour)? I have a ticket to see them tomorrow night, for the first time, and I am so psyched. I like their newest album better than the last one.

I saw them two nights ago in Chicago, it was a great show as always. I'm not a fan of the new album but nobody who likes at least half of their stuff will regret going.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I'm not sure which thread is the right one for it, but I haven't seen it posted yet anywhere: Tool's new album (still untitled) is coming out August 30th. But does anybody care anymore?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Yeah the songs made me a believer again, but it seems like most people just kind of gave up and moved on, I'm amazed at the internet's collective "meh"

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

emdash posted:

13 years is a lot of time, well into self-parody territory from a band that already took forever to make music.

When the album comes out, there will be kids starting their freshman year of college who were still in kindergarten when 10,000 Days comes out :drat:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Henchman of Santa posted:

The prog, metal, or even butt rock threads probably make more sense than this one.

This thread title has both indie rock and pop, it seems to cover a wide swath to me. Seems like a band with three Grammy's and two #1 albums could fairly be called "pop" in at least some sense?

They're definitely not metal, maybe prog rock, definitely not butt rock. They're pretty much just "mainstream rock." Of some kind.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 9, 2019

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I don't know if this is the right thread for them but the new TWRP album is excellent.

https://youtu.be/d4xfcSOmbuA

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

midge posted:

There are on tour with Protomen right now; playing in Chicago tonight (managed to snag a ticket).

Yep, going tonight as well, should be a great show especially as it's at one of the best-sounding venues in the city.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Solange in the top ten lol okay dude

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

:psyduck: I thought Sturgill Simpson was country? Holy gently caress this new album of his is anything but and is incredible.

...incidentally checked the score on Pitchfork and as I thought, scores lower than Haim and just about any R&B album.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Just watched the Sturgill anime and God drat it's pretty insane. Lots of great parts but as several mentioned in particular the dance scene was incredible, including the transition to it from a still.

...poor kitty though :(

Edit: cute cat burning alive aside, I find the existence of the anime really weird. Is there any backstory to this at all? It doesn't seem like it's available for purchase anywhere, just on Netflix. And the album's gatefold doesn't even have scenes from the anime or something (though I'm imagining that's going to be a super deluxe version someday)

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Oct 10, 2019

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Edit: gently caress wrong thread.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Oct 12, 2019

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Henchman of Santa posted:

Sir, the only El Camino appropriate for this thread is the Black Keys 2011 album

That's what I get for having several tabs open, gently caress.

On topic, I kind of like Gold on the Ceiling, even if it is overplayed. But it's got not much besides a catchy hook so I can see why it'd be disliked. It's designed to be a catchy single a la a lot of lovely pop songs.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 12, 2019

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Glad to see both Blackstar and an LCD Soundsystem album in the top 20. Obviously I don't agree with the whole list but it's a whole lot better than that other one.

...except Sprawl II as the best song off of The Suburbs? :psyduck: It's a good song but I personally wouldn't put it top five on that album.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 16, 2019

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Yeah except they gave the last arcade fire album a 5.6 so you are wrong.

That's way too high for Everything Now.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

And Drops of Jupiter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

For someone who kind of right now must fit multiple parts of Indie Rock/Pop/Folk/Electronic, I just scored tickets to Sturgill Simpson next April :hellyeah: He's playing *all* of Sound and Fury live, plus more. Can't loving wait.