Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

callmehyde
Apr 28, 2010

nomapple posted:

I finally got round to checking out their s/t last night and it really is excellent. I shall be spinning it a lot, but I still think Angels is their best song, on first impressions anyway.

I am listening to On the Impossible Past, again. I really think The Menzingers might've released my AOTY. Every time I listen to it, it gets better. I don't know how I can express enough love for it in one forum post, but most of you seem to know how awesome it is anyway. I don't know whether it's fair to compare them, but Handwritten really doesn't stand a chance at the moment! I'm so gutted that their London date on their Euro tour stops here the same night as Nasum's farewell show, as I really can't miss that. I might have to travel to the next nearest date, or visit a friend up north who is also a fan to go see them.

Just got On the Impossible Past the other day and I've listened to the entire album every day since. Besides The Gaslight Anthem, do you have any recommendations that might be in the same ballpark?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

callmehyde
Apr 28, 2010

Count Chocula posted:

Sadly enough, this is all I listen to basically. I kinda talked about them in my Springsteen thread, since they're all influenced by him: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3472716
You can also try the punk thread.

I'd start with The Hold Steady (bit more literate), Titus Andronicus (bit punkier), and The Smith Street Band (bit more Australian). Frank Turner's another good bet; he's a bit more of a folk singer but he draws from the same well as The Menzingers. The Mountain Goats aren't punk but they are just as literary. Hot Water Music, Descendents, and Bad Religion are probably the forefathers of what The Menzingers do.

The Mountain Goats have some of the same lyrical themes, but are a bit more low-fi. Getting farther afield there's fellow Philly band The Loved Ones; their lead singer Dave Hause also has a few solo albums. Blacklist Royals are another Jersey band that sound just like Gaslight. Sharks are touring with Menzingers and sound a bit like them too.

I'll add more as I find them.
Thank you, thank you, thank you. This was great not only because you gave me some new music to look into but because I've been trying to remember the artist and title of Frank Turner's "JetLag" for a few years now. So that was cool too.

In It For The Tank posted:

I'll second Frank Turner (obviously) and The Smith Street Band. Both are absolutely ace.

Also, I'll throw Jim Lockey and the Solemn Sun in as a recommendation because he completes my triumvirate of folk/punk/thing bands.
I'll check these out as well. Woohoo new music!