Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I enjoyed the poo poo out of Sleigh Bells' last album, Treats, and their new one, Reign of Terror is set to hit on Tuesday.

It feels like they're taking it in a new direction compared to their first album, and so far I really like it despite some apprehension by other fans. Two singles released so far are Born to Lose, which I felt was kind of meh, and Comeback Kid which is really energetic and more akin to the feel of their first album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiwcUdX7XMw

Wanted to post that Reign of Terror's a week away from store shelves, and the NY Times has it streaming before release for this week. Also has a really great article explaining how the band formed and some of the inspiration behind their music.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/19/arts/music/the-indie-band-sleigh-bells-new-album-reign-of-terror.html?pagewanted=all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

Slandible posted:

I'm seeing Matt and Kim this week and a bit worried what it might be. Their new album was pretty disappointing, and some of the banter you guys are talking about sounds pretty cringey. Is their set list pretty balanced out, or just loaded with the new album?

Most of the setlists available from this latest tour indicate 6 songs from Lightning and 5 from New Glow out of about 17-18, so you're probably out of luck.

Relevant to recent discussion: Matt and Kim were dope when I saw them live, but that was nearly 5 years ago at this point. I was probably second or third from the rail at Metric's NYC Synthetica album release show and they loving ruled, even though the majority of the show was stuff I hadn't heard more than two or three times at that point. They did "Empty" and "Dead Disco" and the place loving erupted.

New music discussion: the new Hot Chip record drops Tuesday and it's really great, probably right under "In Our Heads" for their second-best record so far. The album closer slays, it just keeps building.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

Mt. Modular posted:

Agreed. It's good, but in a world where The Warning and Made in the Dark exist, I'm surprised to hear anyone call that one their best.

i'm a fan of the late-era stuff more than the early (and it's very possible i'm on the wrong side), but Joe Goddard himself said "In Our Heads" was his favorite so far. http://noisey.vice.com/blog/rank-your-records-hot-chip-joe-goddard

I mean, if you like any Hot Chip, you'll like Why Make Sense. It's an expansion of the computerization they used on "IOH", pushing it further into different styles. The rap on Love Is The Future is probably the low point, but even that kinda fits. The live drums on the title track also blew me away. It's fun and detailed - basic Hot Chip but good Hot Chip.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

I'm a huge synth guy, and yeah, it's one of the more pervasive trends in music today, but if you're going to use Currents as your argument against it, that's a huge oversight. The thing is massive. Beautiful.

It's a shame the new Ratatat is going to get overshadowed by it due to the same release date. That thing's a lot of fun, too. Not a giant success, but it's definitely another Ratatat album, and that's not a bad thing.

I'll also stump for the new Metric singles while I'm here. Same focus on synth, also fairly successful. The Shade is great, Cascades is more of a grower but still very good.

The new Beach House is a tad disappointing. Doesn't really go anywhere. They're kinda falling into the samey shoegaze pit Silversun Pickups fell into, though I eventually came around to Neck of the Woods, so hopefully the same will happen for Depression Cherry.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

fits posted:

more new metric today - fortunes

still like a month until the album comes out :negative:

i'm coming around to what i've heard of pagans in vegas. took me a while to wrap my head around some of where they were trying to go, but it's looking better and better. i'm actually a big fan of too bad, so sad. hopefully they come somewhat near me when they're not opening for imagine dragons. saw them... wow, three years ago at a synthetica release party up close, and they put on a hell of a show.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

I'll toss my hat onto the wave of posters lauding CHVRCHES' live show. Saw them last night at Boston Calling and they blew me away with already-high expectations. The new stuff sounded great, light show was phenomenal, Make Them Gold and Clearest Blue worked perfectly and Martin danced like an adorable chode on Under the Tide.

Other bands yesterday:

Skylar Spence is still getting used to the whole band and performance thing, but Prom King (their new record) is great and translate well to a live setting. Found it hilarious that they have a MacBook on stage to play the electronic parts.

Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks kind of bled one song into the next but were very enjoyable.

Wasn't too into Sturgill Simpson but he sounded fine, probably just a personal taste thing.

Papa John Misty slayed, as he is wont to do. No banter, sadly, just a rundown of 12 tracks back to back.

Skipped Walk the Moon for burgers, don't regret it at all.

Chromeo sounded good but the whole two white Canadian dudes co-opting black funk as much as they did disco in general rubbed me the wrong way slightly. Not that they're bad, they're just not for me.

Alt-J was really quiet at the outset and I was stuck in the middle of a crush near the stage, which made for an unbecoming start to their set. When things eased up/the sound mix was fixed, they got a lot better. I'd still never see them at a fest again, all the drunk frat bros who inexplicably knew all the lyrics and needed to scream them out were a big turnoff.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

Action Serious posted:

Neither guy in Chromeo is white. They're great.

I will put it on the record that I am dumb and have bad opinions based off incorrect information.

Chromeo still doesn't do anything for me, though.

Edit: OK, I'll give them "Jealous," that's catchy.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

abraham linksys posted:

why do bros like Alt-J

I actually am a big defender of Alt-J and never got why so many people seemed to despise them (Pitchfork) but if they have a secret huge bro cult following I guess that explains the hatred

I love the experimental nature of Alt-J's stuff but I think they fall into that "different but still approachable" mindset that led to the cult of personality around Pink Floyd. That's not a dig against Floyd, it's just that every douchebag stoner I knew in high school and college loved waxing philosophic about Dark Side. I didn't even know about the bro-ey nature of their fanbase until Saturday night, and while it doesn't taint the music for me, it does prevent me from seeing them live in the future.

Although the whole bro-ey part might have been exacerbated by the festival setting, which many people consider an excuse to get shitfaced. The extreme irony of seeing Father John Misty play "The Night Josh Tillman Came To Our Apartment," a song about how pretentious, narcissistic and obnoxious millennials can be, while the five people immediately in front of me were fall-down drunk and screaming over the music, completely fulfilling his point, turned me off festivals something fierce. At least festivals in cities where college is currently in session.

How can I make this post less whiney? Um... the new Wavves record loving kicks rear end, and I'd go see them Saturday night if I haven't been feeling under the weather recently. Not in the mood to get my rear end kicked if I end up in the pit. And man, the Arcade Fire Reflektor b-sides are so goddamn disappointing. "Get Right" has the right atmosphere, but everything else is just so loving derivative of Reflektor's thesis, which is already imprinted all over the entire record in the first place.

Still haven't dipped into the new The World is a Beautiful Place and I Am No Longer Afraid to Die record, guess I'll do that tonight. I saw them open for Real Estate, Math the Band and Vivian Girls (man the end of that slate is so late-00s it hurts) back in 2009, so it's really pleasing to see them getting high marks. I guess if you manage to survive Willimantic, CT, everything else is gravy.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

Man, this TWIABP is at once pretty great and exactly what would trigger a quarter-life crisis in me right now.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

abraham linksys posted:

e: also while we're on this topic Tonight is an extremely underrated record, though it took me a literal year after it was released to start appreciating it. I was mainly mad they ruined the single version of Lucid Dreams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__p_MbzZ6LE

#literally the biggest travesty in rock music i've ever encountered. i mean, i get why they redid it in the album's theme, but the single version of Lucid Dreams is by far the best FF song since the self-titled.

their last album's actually pretty solid. Stand on the Horizon is probably their Bowiest song? as mentioned before, Bullet also is very good.

I will say their live show was unspectacular, though that was as much because it was the Orpheum as anything else. protip: if you want people to dance, don't book a place that's seated-only. alex ruined Evil Eye by yelling at people, over and over, to put their phones away during the entire second verse

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

I've been saying since LCD first "broke up" that they'd wait the 5-year unwritten rule for breakups before reuniting. Their last show was April 2, 2011, which IMO means anything after 4/2/16 is fair game.

With the explosion of people catching on to LCD after the breakup/pretending they cared before the breakup (I was late to the party and I caught on when Sound of Silver came out, you loving kids! I'm losing my edge!) I can totally see them getting back together, especially if it meant launching that new Coachella East festival thing in the works. (Which, hopefully, drives Gov Ball's tickets down.) Especially since James' navel-gazing I Shouldn't Have Broken Up My Band - sorry, I mean Shut Up And Play The Hits - showed he missed LCD the moment they left the MSG stage.

I couldn't get to the LCD/Hot Chip show in Boston in 2010 and couldn't swing the Terminal 5 shows or afford tickets to the Long Goodbye, so I need this. I remember sitting on Ticketmaster all morning the day tickets went on sale, then seeing them go from on-sale to sold-out in the moment I clicked "Get Tickets." It was not a fun morning.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

Fuckin' VEGA Intl., man. It should be illegal for something to be that good. I thought the single for Slumlord banged, but then Slumlord's Re-Lease had me yelling out loud at how good it was. Then Thank Your Lucky Stars blows Depression Cherry out of the water, and the new Majical Cloudz and Deerhunter records too? This year's been so good for music it's unfair.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

BonoMan posted:

Man, I gotta say I was really let down by the El Vy record.

No Time to Crank the Sun is great, but otherwise I feel like it just totally missed the mark.

For me it's I'm The Man To Be and then a lot of disappointment. It's not terrible but not something I'll likely come back to in the future.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

Ratatat was great last night. Laser/video show was excellent, and the set ended with Abrasive -> Neckbrace -> Wildcat -> Nightclub Amnesia -> Seventeen Years, so things got wild. Really impressed with their musicianship, they jumped from guitar to keys to melodica without pause. I especially liked the chopped-and-screwed Predator clips in the background during Party With Children. I'd recommend seeing them, though it looks like they play the same set every night so there's not too much tour variation.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

Dr Tran posted:

Is this the right thread for Metric? Saw them tonight and it was magic.

Schpyder posted:

Yes, and Metric absolutely owns.

Happy to hear it, managed to get the latest record on white vinyl for cheap and a $20 ticket to the show on the same day last week. Excited to see them again. Was Joywave any good?

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

Anaranjado posted:

Joywave is so much better live. Their album is weirdly flat but their show is very energetic. The frontman worked the crowd like nothing when I saw them open for the kooks

I like about half of their latest record (Tongues, Now, Nice House) so that's a very good thing to hear.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

Just finished "iii" and I gotta say I'm a fan. Genghis Khan and Heart of Me are some stellar loving singles, but the rest of it is varied and fun indie-pop. The Charli XCX is really nice (turns out "Sucker" flopping was a good thing, since it led to the SOPHIE collab and now this), and it seems like they've fully settled into a nice niche. My real takeaway? They now have just enough ammunition to have the perfect festival set. I've been dying to see them since I first heard the self-titled, and seven years later I know it'll be a good time. Hopefully they cross paths with RTJ here and there - Heart is Full is pretty boring, tbh, and Mike's verse really livens up the remix.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

Man, Metric/Joywave was a fun show. Joywave, especially, seems to be on their way to blowing up. They played a new song they said was written for Alice Through The Looking Glass. It was cute, though - the show maybe sold half of the venue's capacity, so they were only playing to about two hundred people as the opener, and were awkward and unhappy about it. Then the bassist saw me singing along to Nice House and he suddenly started beaming. Once the crowd got into it (in other words when Joywave played Somebody New) things got really fun.

Metric's light show is stunning, and while Pagans remains in the second tier of their discography, some of the songs really stood out live. My only issue is that they'd jump from electronic jams into acoustic bits of longer songs like Raw Sugar and the energy would just get sucked out of the room. And whoever did the mixing did not earn their paycheck, as vocals (especially high notes) got drowned out by the instruments on louder songs. But on the other hand, I finally heard Black Sheep live, and that was legitimately on my bucket list, so I can't complain too much.

CRINDY fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 17, 2016

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

My friend just hooked me up with free tickets to see Cage the Elephant/Silversun Pickups/Foals/Bear Hands on Wednesday night. I'm planning on skipping Bear Hands, catching Foals and SSPU, and bouncing before Cage (I've seen them twice already, didn't dig either of their last two records and have work early Thursday morning). Can anyone vouch for Bear Hands? I'm willing to go early and check out an opener.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

The best part is when I was still a little baby show-goer in 2009, I saw a tour where Cage opened for Silversun, with An Horse opening (they were assholes when I bought their CD, so I'm kinda spitefully happy they never broke it big). Matt Shultz pretended to have a seizure and shook sweat all over me in the front row, then Brian Aubert shook my hand during the guitar solo on Lazy Eye and it didn't affect the song because they had so much reverb in the mix. The setlist was right after Swoon, so the setlist was absolutely killer: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/silversun-pickups/2009/lupos-heartbreak-hotel-providence-ri-33d46ca1.html

Somehow I weigh less at 25 than I did at 18, so the SSPU shirt I got that night still fits. I wear it to the gym sometimes. This show is going to be kind of a cool complement to that one.

CRINDY fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 29, 2016

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

I wanted to love the new M83 record, but it's too self-indulgent. At some points I was loving the 80s throwback theme, but too much of the record fails to justify its existence.

Goddamn, though, some of those high points are high as HELL. "Go!" is a loving jam, making it at least the third song called "Go!" that I love. I warmed up to "Do It, Try It" and "Solitude" pretty quickly. "Lazer Gun" and "Moon Crystal" are fun as hell. Overall it's disappointing, but I think it came out a lot better than if Anthony and co. tried to make a carbon copy of "Hurry Up, We're Dreaming." At the very least, I think the door's wide open for whatever their next tone shift will be, there's a lot of creativity on this record.

I'm going to give Parquet Courts another try now, but other than "Uncast Shadow" they've never caught my ear.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

New Strokes last week, new Beck tomorrow (check his Instagram for some samples https://www.instagram.com/beck/?hl=en , sounds loopy and wild), impending Two Door Cinema Club in the immediate future

I regret regretting purchasing my Governors Ball pass, this is going to be a great weekend

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

interpunct posted:

Yeah, I was only able to attend the first night of Boston Calling but I had a blast. I went straight to the barricade in front of Sufjan's stage once doors opened and didn't regret my decision.

I hope for your sake that the weekend weather forecast changes in the next few days:

National Weather Service says 30% chance of rain Friday and 50% on Sunday. I'll take those odds. Only poor weather I've had at a GovBall was the aftermath of the tropical storm. Wasn't there for the monsoon, but I did lose a pair of Chucks to the mud. I've already grabbed a beater pair of sneakers from the thrift store just in case.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

Saw a lot of artists at Gov Ball, skipping out today due to exhaustion and a worrying weather forecast. Too bad I'm missing Courtney Barnett and Two Door, but it's better to not die.

Stood in the front center row in the pouring rain for 3 hours in total to see Miike Snow and they loving killed it. I'd been waiting to see them since 2009. A bunch of the iii stuff popped, Cult Logic and Paddling Out were huge highlights, and an ending of Black and Blue / Animal as the rain ended was phenomenal. Some dude outmaneuvered me for the setlist, but I did get a signed copy of iii.

Thought Beck's set was stellar as well. Paper Tiger -> Lost Cause -> a massive Blue Moon into a cover of Raspberry Beret and a story about Prince awarding him the Grammy in 2015. He didn't play Wow, but Dreams sounds even better live than on single.

M83 was short (they had 1.45 hours to play and filled 1.05 of it) but also sounded excellent. Their new keyboard/vocalist definitely upstaged Anthony, her voice is gorgeous. I cried during Oblivion, which was the point when I realized how exhausted I was and left for the night.

Only caught 20 min of Bloc Party. I will continue to argue that The Love Within and the rest of the new stuff blows, but This Modern Love, Helicopter and a cover of I Will Die 4 U won me over to end the set.

Strokes sounded fine but the new stuff lost my interest. Electricityscape sounded stellar, though, they fuzzed up the lead riff and it added another dimension to the song.

Killers sounded fine but I checked them out during Day and Age stuff so I was pretty eh about the whole thing. They covered Obstacle 1 so that was cool.

Thundercat was loving awesome. So was Jamie xx. Robyn was fun. It was a good time.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

It's like every time I click this thread I need to add four albums to my to-listen list. Y'all have impeccable taste.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

Yeah I skipped Panorama for several reasons despite Arcade Fire/Sufy/National/Kendrick/Anderson .paak/RTJ/LCD being extremely my poo poo. Price + Goldenvoice + The Verge + middle of July heat in NYC + potential for severe weather (god that Gov Ball cancellation sucked) + top-heavy lineup was just too much to make it worthwhile.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

Seeds is par for the course for TVOTR which makes it pale in comparison to their earlier work. There's still a lot to love and it's on the higher end of quality as far as the modern alternative market goes, though. Careful You, the title track, Lazerray and Test Pilot are all really solid jams. There's a theme of loss that runs throughout it, which makes sense as it's the first LP they made after Gerald Smith passed away - it kinda walks a tightrope between love and loss with some melancholy effects. I love the production on it, everything sounds crisp and some of the choruses just soar. TVOTR doesn't get enough praise for their later work - it's hard to follow up two records as strong as Cookie and Science, but that's only because "really good" isn't "goddamn good."

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

Y'all listened to I Had A Dream That You Were Mine by Hamilton Leithauser + Rostam, right? I listened to it front-back once on Spotify on Friday and made a trip to the record store to buy a copy on Saturday. It's that good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMB400o-1J0 is my personal favorite but the whole thing is great. It's the best parts of Walkmen and Vampire Weekend fitting together perfectly.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

I'm fairly pedestrian but my AOTY is caught between Wildflower and Moon Shaped Pool. I think I'm leaning toward Wildflower. Car Seat Headrest, Hamilton Leithauser + Rostam and maybe How To Be A Human Being by Glass Animals would fill out my top 5, though I'm sure there's a ton of poo poo I'm forgetting.

Personal favs that aren't AOTY quality include Miike Snow's iii, Phantogram's Three and M83's Junk

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

In Colour was my favorite record from last year so I'm perfectly fine with as much Jamie bullshit they can possibly toss at me.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

Assuming my surgery this week goes well I'm going to see Tokyo Police Club in Brooklyn in a few weeks. Checked out the opener, Charly Bliss, and they're pretty fun! I'll def check them out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZPKkvNY23g

Also, somehow I only just found out Holy Ghost! and Classixx are playing MHOW next weekend, of course it's already sold out. What a loving show that'd be.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

🎼I'd rather play mortal kombat anyway
I'm all about that Johnny Cage🎼

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

Heartworms is an OK album that I would like more if I didn't know Mercer was capable of work leagues ahead of it. If it was by buzz band of the week it would be gathering a lot of attention, it is extremely well made even if it didn't entirely capture my attention. I thought a 7.6 for it when Wincing got a 7 was a bit much.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

Charly Bliss is releasing "Glitter" next week and also right now on NPR. It's great. Seen it described as 90s-esque woman-led alternative, reminds me some of the Breeders, so that's how I'll describe it.

http://www.npr.org/2017/04/13/523437524/first-listen-charly-bliss-guppy

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

skooma512 posted:

Waxahatchee is touring this summer

They were great opening for the New Pornographers but the new music is slow. Like, I was getting lulled to sleep after a long day. It's still lovely though!

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

saw Papa John's Misty last night and came away very, very impressed. i'd seen him at a few festivals, but man, the Pure Comedy stuff works really well in the live setting, especially one as intimate as Brooklyn Steel (which is the most Bowery concert hall I've ever seen, but honestly a good venue). only Magic Mountain was kind of exhausting, everything else was pretty incredible. i wasn't planning on complaining because i got my favorite two Misty tracks, Ideal Husband and I'm Writing A Novel, but it was a legitimately great show in retrospect.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I'm tempted to try and see him in Nashville this fall after going to see him both times he was in Tennessee for the ILYHB tour. Sad to hear Magic Mountain was tedious live, it's my favorite song on the album just about so far but I can see how it could get tiring listening to it live. Does he do the full version of Leaving LA live?

According to Setlist.FM, he's only played it six times this year and once since Pure Comedy came out. Here's the show I saw, which seems to be his standard setlist for the rest of the tour (barring venues with curfews, he went 15 minutes past expected curtain time in Brooklyn) http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/father-john-misty/2017/brooklyn-steel-brooklyn-ny-6be7a276.html The entire stretch from Smiling And Astride Me to Ideal Husband was fantastic, his light show brought new life to a few of the songs (I was blown away during True Affection, there was a flickering heart and fast-tempo color changes behind him during the song).

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

I spent way too much money but I'm going to see The National with three big Nationalhead friends in October.

(I actually managed to roll floor seats in the presale... then gave them up because they were exorbitantly expensive instead of just really expensive. Shame.)

I love High Violet, Trouble Will Find Me and float around on Boxer and Alligator. Are there any prominent songs they're likely to play outside of those records and Sleep Well Beast?

Also, yes, that new Mountain Goats is excellent. John Darnielle could probably write a compelling album about phone books or paint drying.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

BonoMan posted:

Man I still think Alligator is far and away their best album.

As for songs outside of those albums - maybe About Today from Cherry Tree? I've only heard the live version on the The Virginia EP but it's stellar.

Also how much were floor tickets?

Floor was $85 each before fees, the final bill was roughly $400 in the shopping cart compared to $300 when I bought the bowl seats. I just HAD to buy those new tires last month, didn't I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

I'm a gigantic stan for Arcade Fire, I've seen them four times and once I was in the front row and Win took my phone during Flashbulb Eyes (because Flashbulb Eyes sucks and I was taking photos then so I could enjoy the rest of the show). I met him, he was cool and nice.

Everything Now is really solid, it doesn't fully click but it does the Arcade Fire thing where they're wholly pretentious and unsubtle but they're also really sincere about what they're saying so I'm into it. It is very ABBA-esque, it's kinda U2-esque in the size of its sound, the pan flute makes me sing "Send Me On My Way" (on mah way) during the bridges and it also really reminds me of a Guster song from like seven years ago.

Based off Everything Now and Creature Comfort, the second song they've been playing live the last few nights (which has some dark lyrics!), my feelings about this record are that I bought club seats instead of GA seats to the tour at one date because it's always worth being in the building for Wake Up and Here Comes The Night Time but it's not worth a hundred bucks to stand for five hours and be up close. Also they're playing NYC on Tuesday, Boston on Friday and D.C. on Saturday, so I can't hit multiple shows on this tour unlike the Reflektor tour when I saw them on a Tuesday then that Saturday.