Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glug_Glug
Feb 17, 2011

Akbar posted:

I haven't given it a listen at all yet, but which previous album would you say it's closest to, if any? I love Domestica, Such Blinding Stars, and Ugly Organ, but didn't really feel Happy Hollow after a couple of spins. It actually turned me off so much that I didn't pursue Mama, I'm Swollen at all. I'd be down to hop back on the bandwagon, though.

It's actually a very good mix of their whole discography. It definitively has some of the pop elements of the later stuff, but it also brings back the kickass guitars of the olden days. It's a very good album, especially if you read along to it. At first I wasn't feeling the story, but once I understood what was going on it was much better.

The only reason I stopped listening to that album is because of Fun. How I never listened to this band, I don't know. I also just realized that them and The Format share the same lead. Mind. Blown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glug_Glug
Feb 17, 2011

Akbar posted:

Yeah, fun. is some amazing pop music. Their first album (and specifically "All the Pretty Girls") was my summer jam last year. I'm really excited to see them in a few weeks in Chapel Hill.

Yeah , I went back and listened to the first album. I like Some Nights more, but there is some really good stuff on Aim and Ignite. Especially "Be Calm", that song is so addictive. I even started listening to The Format again, some really good pop music.

I want to listen to Steel Train. Does anyone know where to start with them?

Glug_Glug
Feb 17, 2011

Count Chocula posted:

The album of the year so far is the last Menzingers album, with the Smith Street Band, Mountain Goats, Murder By Death and Japandroids coming a close second. The new Mountain Goats album is streaming and it's fantastic, but Murder By Death might beat it. Titus Andronicus will probably beat them all.

The Mountain Goats never seem to disappoint. John Darnielle has an unlimited amount of good indie songs, it seems. I don't think Transcendental Youth is quite as good All Eternal Decks but still extremely solid. White Cedar and Transcendental Youth are some of my favorite songs he has ever done.

I don't know if this is the place to put this, but Tall Tales Vol. 1 by American Gospel is probably my album of the year. I gave it a pass when it first came out, but I've been really listening to it this past week and it's really amazing. standouts are I Know, Say, Hunting Boar, better Off, I'll Never Let You Go, and Geronimo. Really though, I love it all.

You can listen to the album on bandcamp:

http://americangospel.bandcamp.com

Glug_Glug
Feb 17, 2011
I might be going crazy, but that might be better then anything off of Gorilla Manor. I'm probably going crazy though. I hope it's not one of those singles that is way better then anything else on the album. Still, very impressed.

Glug_Glug
Feb 17, 2011

In It For The Tank posted:

I've been listening to Tall Ships a lot recently because they released their first album Everything Touching in early October. I fell in love with them when I first listened to their two EPs last year.

If you like rad guitars and layered music then these are the guys for you:

"Gallop":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa4Y8RO590A

"Snow":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt9gPK5ek2g

"Words Are Pegs Upon Which We Hang Ideas":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOip_dM59ac

Also listen to Vessels, Books and Murmurations.

Honestly, this is great. Thanks for this. One of the best new bands I've heard in a while.

Glug_Glug
Feb 17, 2011

Avocados posted:

State Hospital by Frightened Rabbit is really good. While it still doesn't top my favorite Frabbits song, this song and whole album is overall a lot nicer. Really cool video too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJb4uNi1VwU

What would be your favorite Frightened Rabbit song?

Glug_Glug
Feb 17, 2011
I've been listening to Sufjan Stevens new Christmas album. It's 59 songs, so there is alot of crap but some of this stuff is just excellent. I'd say mostly skip through the first 2 discs, and listen to the last 3. Christmas Unicorn is especially good, mostly for the amazing lyrics.

Glug_Glug
Feb 17, 2011

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

It's music, there aren't spoilers!

I've waited til after Christmas, too, just to keep from going crazy. I put on christmas music, but more and more of the playlist is Mr Stevens. I've got 2 discs of Vince Guaraldi, 1 of Oscar Peterson, 1 of comedy songs, and 10 of Sufjan. Dude's monopolizing my holiday cheer.

Nice collection there.

I wish The Sleigh In The Moon was longer. It's a beautiful song but way to short. I also really like his cover of Let It Snow. It sounds almost creepy.

Glug_Glug
Feb 17, 2011
Hummingbird is so much better with headphones. I listened to it yesterday, well I was cleaning my house, and it was alright. Last night, with a good pair of headphones? Stunning. I was going to fall asleep to it but I ended up listening to the whole thing.

Glug_Glug
Feb 17, 2011

-Atom- posted:

Portgual. the Man released the cover of their new album Evil Friends

Do yourself and a favor and listen to their entire discography from start to finish to get yourself ready, because holy poo poo is this band incredible.

I have no idea where they are going to take their music next, but I can't wait. In The Mountains was a fantastic album.

In other news, Frightened Rabbit's new album is still drat good. Possibly their best yet.

Glug_Glug
Feb 17, 2011

First impressions: Weird video, good song. I can definitely see the song growing on me. There is also a track listing on itunes:

1. Plastic Soldiers
2. Creep In a T-Shirt
3. Evil Friends
4. Modern Jesus
5. Hip Hop Kids
6. Atomic Man
7. Sea of Air
8. Waves
9. Holy Roller (Hallelujah)
10. Someday Believers
11. Purple Yellow Red and Blue
12. Smile

June 4th is the release date. Censored Colors is still my favorite album from them, but In the Mountains is a close second. I'm pretty excited about this.

Glug_Glug
Feb 17, 2011

-Atom- posted:

Portugal. the Man - Atomic Man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmUzdNLDLmI

At this rate I think we'll get the entire album in Video Form by the time Evil Friends actually releases.

Why do I always make the mistake of reading youtube comments? It's like I hate myself.

Good song though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glug_Glug
Feb 17, 2011

Creature posted:

of Montreal released the first track from their new album today. It's streaming on Soundcloud now. Soundwise, it's closer to Aldhils Arboretum than anything since.

This is really good.