Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
The delights of indie are pretty new to me, but so far I am in to:
The National
The Antlers
Bon Iver
Arcade Fire
Lost in the Trees
Laura Marling

and then more "classic" stuff like The Pixies and The Smiths. Artists in bold are my current favourites, I can't get enough of The National at the moment. I mined last.fm's related artists, but recommendations from actual people are generally more useful. Looking for any recommendations similar to this stuff, or anything "folk indie" or "indie folk" which isn't loving Mumford and Sons.

(Before someone recommends them I am indeed aware of Neutral Milk Hotel, just haven't listened yet)

e: I don't know how I managed to forget this but I absolutely adore The Mountain Goats All Eternals Deck was one of my favourite albums of 2011.

nomapple fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Try Modest Mouse, Local Natives, The Dodos, Iron and Wine, and Wolf Parade for some more big-name indie rock and folk artists.

Any albums in particular? Thanks

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

MelancholyMark posted:

You should also check out the Gaslight Anthem. Haven't disappointed me with anything they've done yet, and I'm seeing them tomorrow woo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2Lk5NU0XQw

Already on my radar and I rather enjoy them, thanks :)

Davincie posted:

You sound really new to, well music...

Not really. I spend most of my time listening to various shades of metal and would consider myself pretty well versed in that side of music. New to indie, yes, new to music, no. Finding your way in a genre that you're largely unfamiliar with is daunting. Thank you for the recommendations though.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I have about 10 hours of indie to work my way through in a Spotify playlist now. I'll report back once I've given a few of these recommendations my time.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
NEW THE MOUNTAIN GOATS COMING IN OCTOBER!!!

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

MelancholyMark posted:

I dunno, all of their albums have been growers on me. It was probably a year after the 59 Sound came out that I even started to like them and it took me a really long time to like American Slang but now they're like one of my favorite bands.

Definitely gonna check out The Menzingers now though. Thanks for the mention.

+1 for The Menzingers love in this thread, On the Impossible Past is amazing. Looking forward to giving Handwritten a listen a bit later.

e: Mullholland Drive (track 4) is amazing.

nomapple fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 17, 2012

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Twin Cinema posted:

I didn't see the new "The XX" song posted, so here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nW5AF0m9Zw

I am a little mixed on this song. The song is fairly comparable to some of the stuff on their first album, but it just feels as if the song doesn't have the hook that, say VCR, has. But, there is still something appealing about it.

You can tell I am not a music critic.

I hadn't listened to the XX before this, but I love it. I will definitely check out their s/t now. Really looking forward to this all of a sudden.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

thehoodie posted:

Are you me? I had the exact same reaction when I first heard it. And have listened to the album about 4 times in 2 days. It's really really good. How have I not heard of this before!?

I finally got round to checking out their s/t last night and it really is excellent. I shall be spinning it a lot, but I still think Angels is their best song, on first impressions anyway.

I am listening to On the Impossible Past, again. I really think The Menzingers might've released my AOTY. Every time I listen to it, it gets better. I don't know how I can express enough love for it in one forum post, but most of you seem to know how awesome it is anyway. I don't know whether it's fair to compare them, but Handwritten really doesn't stand a chance at the moment! I'm so gutted that their London date on their Euro tour stops here the same night as Nasum's farewell show, as I really can't miss that. I might have to travel to the next nearest date, or visit a friend up north who is also a fan to go see them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
OK so maybe my comment about Handwritten not standing a chance was a bit short sighted. SInce it went up on Spotify on Monday, I've listened to it every day this week, and made the vinyl purchase after work today :) The vinyl itself is beautifully presented, if you're wondering, but I'll probably bore people with the details of that in the vinyl thread instead. The music itself gets better every time. I really love the 1st half of the album now, and there is still a lot for me to get into on the 2nd half. 45, Mulholland Drive and Keepsake are the standouts for me so far, although National Anthem is also really good. It's kind of like a slightly more muted accompaniment to OTIP, and means that I am now listening to something other than The Menzingers. This will most likely feature somewhere in my top 20 of the year, possibly even my top 10. I'll live with it a little longer before I make that sort of call though.

E: I didn't see any posts for it, but I may have missed them... Either way, A new Mountain Goats track is available for streaming RIGHT FRIGGING NOW and it is, as predicted, wonderful. On a sidenote, I need that artwork on an LP sleeve, in my hands, right now.

nomapple fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 28, 2012