Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'll never understand the angsty hatred for other's musical tastes that some have.

It's not very angsty to say a song is boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Tias posted:

Is this the only folk thread?

There's this one http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3502828

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Nazareth posted:

Who here just loves synthwave?

I'm serious, I can't get enough of this genre. It steeps itself in '80s nostalgia, science fiction, and is unapologetic about the cheesy nature of its aesthetic. It's not pretentious nor is it too silly.

Trevor Something, Gunship, Lazerhawk, Robots with Rayguns, Macross 82-99, Perturbator, Mitch Murder, this is just one good genre.

That stuff all sounds stupid

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Nazareth posted:

Hey, to each their own. What's your type of music, good person?

Ideally it should be good, and also shouldn't rely entirely on obnoxious 80s nostalgia references. Like it's fairly obvious that none of these synthwave dudes care about actual 80s synth music, it's just empty signifiers.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

They're Canadians born long after the Vietnam War ended. I don't think most young people get what the VC actually did.

What did they do, apart from defend their country against the vast tendrils of US imperialism?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Noise rock is a lot cooler than Americana

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

If noise is your thing that's cool, but the Low Anthem now sounds like four people who didn't even tune up for sound check and everything is washed out in reverb.

Sounds like a lot of fun

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

I tried on my phone/earbuds as well, and it's the same. You should probably consider changing that because it's completely unlistenable (is that a word), but hey it's your ~*~artistic choice~*~ I guess

It's not really unlistenable unless you want to know exactly what he's saying all the time.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

It's fine for lyrics to be unintelligible, they're not that important.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

the hell kind of info do you even leak about a gorillaz album. like in this song the cartoon man does this thing

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CRINDY posted:

counterpoint: an arcade fire song intended to prevent teen suicide is pretty obviously going to be as blatant and direct as possible. i really like the song, especially the second verse and the "it's not painless / she was a friend of mine" bridge. it's clear the band lost someone close to them along the way and while it's not a perfect song, it has an impact on people struggling with depression and who may have overcome suicidal thoughts at one point (such as myself)

if you really wanted to prevent teen suicide then having them listen to arcade fire sounds like a terrible idea

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

ricecult posted:

Self-promotion warning (and Goon-music warning...):

I recently finished an album of electro-acoustic, definitely more on the experimental/psychedelic side. It's not "officially" released (whatever that means in 2017), I want to see if an experimental or small label would want to pick it up, but I'm looking for some ears/reactions. It was recorded at a new studio using lots of analog gear, nice mics, and unusual techniques.

http://notsounds.bandcamp.com

This isn't really what comes to mind when I hear the phrase 'electro-acoustic', what do you mean by that?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

ricecult posted:

Sorry, I think that phrase has more connotations than I assumed, I just meant that it has a lot of both electronic (synths, drum machines, recording manipulation) and acoustic (acoustic guitar, drums, live performance).

yeah i think you should use a different word, because I assumed it was like super academic music(e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroacoustic_music) and was wondering what it was doing in the indie thread.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Those don't seem like very good indie rock lyrics to me

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

lmao this just showed up in my Facebook notifications

I think you should respond to her message, it's not everyday that indie superstar grimes contacts you

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Thanks for letting me know, have a good day and hope you listen to some nice music.

ahaha this passive aggressive posting style is so cool

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

There's plenty of contemporary prog bands, they just have nothing to do with indie rock.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

bows1 posted:

Animal Collective is my fav band but I walked out of their show last night. One hour of droning and screaming, didn’t ever play a song. And it wasn’t even like Spirit They’ve fine style drone it was just bad. Really sucked and pissed me off

That sounds way cooler than if they had played songs, to me

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

cptn_dr posted:

(Opening for French For Rabbits was the singular Finn Johannson, who has a ridiculous and impressive mustache, is one of the hardest working guitarists in Wellington, and sounds somehow exactly like you'd expect him to)

Not much of a singer songwriter guy myself but I know Finn and he's a good dude.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

its hosed up that theres a band of presumably young people who decide to play music like led zeppelin instead of something cool

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

BonoMan posted:

What point did you think you were making here? Yes artists have been ripped off through the ages. Doesn't somehow miraculously validate these guys and their 1:1 ripoff of Zep.

didn't led zeppelin famously rip off a bunch of guys too

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

ThatsMyBoye posted:

One thing I'm learning as I get to be old and boring is that ragging on things other people like is just the least productive thing we can do. The only thing I've ever accomplished from saying "I don't like this thing other people like" unsolicited is annoying the people who do like it.

I say this as a big Baker stan but the concept leaks out to other things. Feel like we just need to let each other live and enjoy what we enjoy

Baker, Bridgers, and Dacus rule apart and together

Actually, annoying people is cool

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

turnip kid posted:

If you’re into very good songwriting and music deeply indebted to the 60s British psych-folk greats, you can’t do better than Hollow Hand’s Star Chamber. For my own taste, it’s the best album of the year. It’s not just an album of unoriginal pastiche; it sounds like the genuine document. I am in love with this band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0Ro3CHtILY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIEKmPL7ArM

Sorry, I'm only into very bad songwriting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

turnip kid posted:

I’m sorry my post didn’t meet the exacting standards of the thread’s editorial board.

it was a joke