Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Nadir posted:

New Sufjan Stevens album coming out in March:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vj9s0U2U2o

I'm excited!

This sounds great- like a mix between his classic stuff from early in his career to his Age Of Adz electronic stuff. Can't wait!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

ThatsMyBoye posted:

The Carrie & Lowell thread never really took off and is locked so I'll put this here. Sufjan remixed Blue Bucket of Gold:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36iHy42s1Y0

This is a good remix. It's cool how Sufjan is so good with both folk indie stuff and electronic stuff.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I'm really digging that new Grimes track. Yeah, its sound might be similar to Top 40 hits but Flesh Without Blood is a cut above. The song has tone, some great hard-hitting bass drums, and a slight industrial tinge that makes it very toe-tapping and if more Top 40 Hits had as much personality as Flesh Without Blood I would listen to a lot more pop radio.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

More pop music should be like Art Angels (i.e. really good and memorable)

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Real Name Grover posted:

Not surprised we're seeing a lot of drops today, and:

There's a new Arcade Fire track — a collab with Mavis Staples that I wouldn't have known was an AF track otherwise

I dig it, ignoring NIN and old AF comparisons, but I never loved AF.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Xiu Xiu's new album FORGET is streaming on Noisey.

It's my album of the year so far. Explosive noisey sound. I'm not a big Xiu Xiu fan, I've only heard Air Force and that's it but this album is hitting me hard.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

skooma512 posted:

So the new Magnetic Fields album, 50 Song Memoir, drops on Friday and NPR has pretty much the whole album up.

http://www.npr.org/2017/03/06/518379457/first-listen-the-magnetic-fields-50-song-memoir

Fellow fans will understand from 69 Love Songs that he's serious when he says 50 Song Memoir.

I've been listening to it today. I appreciate what he's trying to do and I can't fault his ambition, but sad to say I'm bouncing off the majority of these songs. They sound like they belong in a musical, which is probably is partly what he's going for. Love at the bottom of the sea was the same way. It's not really a style I enjoy.

By dint of there being 50 songs, there is at least a full album's worth of stuff I do actually enjoy. Standouts for me are Judy Garland, Foxx and I, How to play the synthesizer, Ethan Frome, and Weird Diseases. The fourth disk comes up on NPR tomorrow and I'm sure there'll be a least few of those that'll hit the spot. Conversely, "'91 The Day I finally" is pretty strange and I feel like it hardly qualifies as even a song. Like, this is the year you released my favorite album of yours and your first as this group, and maybe say something about that? I wonder how he's going to do it at the live show, as I imagine I'm not alone in feeling this way.

Edit: I was listening to the last disk and Cold Blooded Man is easily the standout for me. It has that classic 90s era Magnetic Fields sound I love, due in no small part to the cello. They didn't put up the last 10 tracks, but hopefully there's another one of those in there.

Just listened to 69 Love Songs a week ago. It's hard to recall songs and not let the music fade into the background especially up past two hours of listening time. I listened to just the first Disc so far and it's all good listening. Something about Magnetic Fields songs just make them standout amongst the rest of indie pop.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

skooma512 posted:

Oh man, try the albums before that. They're such a treat the first time or the 1000th (last.fm says I'm 7000 plays deep, but that doesn't count driving) .

Here's something cool: The only reason he ever was able to meet his father was because 69 Love Songs made such a splash. During an interview he said Joe Fagan, a folk singer, was his father. His current wife saw the interview, told him what he said, and then he reached out. They actually are unintentionally similar musically.

Makes you wonder what would have happened if that album fell through the cracks, or if it wasn't made. All due respect to his work after 2000, but nothing's had the appeal of 69. Pitchfork can't write a review about any of his subsequent albums without mentioning it in the first paragraph.

You're not the only one to recommend me the earlier Magnetic Fields albums and I'll check them out after I let 50SM sink into my skin.

In other news, I finally gave Mac Demarco a chance. Beforehand he gave me a bad impression, he seemed smelly. But then I put on Salad Days and holy moly that was a good listen. Blue Boy is great and Passing Out Pieces sounds like dark Beach Boys. I love being put off by someone and then falling in love when I give them a chance.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

DFA is definitely a one-album band for me. There sound can't carry anything past their debut and everything this release since then has been meh.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I dont like Mac Demarco as a musician but Salad Days might be one of my favourite albums. People tell me that Demarco is "jangle pop" but I have no idea what that means and that genre name is stupid. I put on Salad Days and I have a good time. There's something about that album that's discretely sinister while at the same time being poppy and accessible. It's like listening to great music when you got a fever. This doesn't seem derivative to the music of the 1970's, its fresh.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Agreed. I love poppy Beck like Sexx Laws, Girl, and Nausea but Sea Change is in my top 10. Beck has done well with many different kinds of music, I'm just not enjoying what I've heard from Colors.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

One of my biggest fears is that one day I will meet MGMT because they'll beat me up for pronouncing their name "MGMT" instead of "Management".

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Oh man I had no idea MBV had a new album along the way
oh god i need to lay down, this is too much

Track sounds cool though

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Really digging this new album Carousel Kites from Paul Steel. It's masterful prog/psychedelic pop with immaculate production.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDNuEk9dwT8

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

drat, I relistened to Richard Dawson's Peasant and if that album don't have texture I don't know what's what. Solid from front to back.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I grew up with nu metal and pop music of the late 90's and early 00's so We Appreciate Power is a synthetic nostalgia trip for me.

Kind of reminds me of Orgy and their brand of 'death-pop'.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I'll just be over here being a last.fm casual... but my indie jam this year was We Appreciate Power.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Parquet Courts was one of my tops when it came out but I look at my Top 25 and it's not on that thing.

Joy as an Act of Resistance from IDLES on the other hand...

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I tend to forget how much I like 7. I had only listened to one Beach House album prior and I didn't care for it. But I dunno, this new one stands out to me. It's definitely going to end up on my top 20 at the end of the year. I don't think the rest of Beach House's discog is worth pursuing though.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

The first time I heard SOPHIE's album it blew me away. Second time... it held up okay but a few of the song's grated on me. I third listen might turn me around. Regardless, it's a very unique well put together album.

My indie release of this year might be Moonsong's Lethologica because that album is just ace song after ace song. It's excellent from start to fin.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I cherish Needle Drop opinions (except those Gas related)

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Since the Elon Musk thing I'm getting over Grimes' eccentricities. She's still one of my favourite musicians but I'm definitely not loving this ride any more.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Tweet taken down

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Might be the only triple album I like all the way through. Cheers to a great album!

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Paper Lion posted:

I've been a big fan of Men I Trust for a couple years and they've finally put out this album and it's wall to wall amazing, they're sort of all over the place in terms of inspirations but tend to be easily explained as "dreampop with some sick basslines" please give them a chance!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVg30U6O764

I actually just finished listening to this and by the end I was bored. The first half is great but it goes on for too long.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I don't pay attention to every corner of the rock scene but it seems like in the last decade psychedelic rock made a comeback. Indie rock might not be as popular as it was in the 2000s but rock's still kicking.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

There was no way this list was going to please people. I just ignored it and enjoyed my own personal favourite albums of the last decade, which I think is a more diverse collection.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Okay, so maybe I've been hard on rock releases this year including indie rock but Birthday from Pom Poko was an incredible release. My appreciation of rock, indie rock, and indie music in general goes up each time I listen to this album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I gave X&Y a listen to the other day and man was that a step down from their first two albums. drat!