Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Medium Cool posted:

I saw Tennis in Kansas City on Saturday, and it was a great show. Probably the weirdest location fora venue I've been to yet, we were in a strip mall next door to a dollar tree. There was also a half price books and records though, where me and my friends bumped into alaina moore and patrick riley. They were pretty nice, we talked to them for a bit, got a picture, and they signed our records later. The show was pretty awesome too, we had a great spot by the stage and they played pretty much everything I wanted to hear.
Strip mall venues are the weirdest loving thing. There's one in the Albany area called Northern Lights, I saw the Dresden Dolls there once and it was weird as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

abraham linksys posted:

No idea where to post this (I guess it would also be in a world music thread?) but Yonatan Gat opened the Of Montreal show I saw tonight, and totally blew me away. His new album's streaming on Bandcamp; this track in particular is kickass: http://yonatangat.bandcamp.com/track/north-to-south

He and his band (a bassist and a drummer) were set up in a little circle in the middle of the general audience floor, which is a pretty cool way to do a concert! Smart move for an opener that is so different musically from the main act, definitely makes it look more like a spectacle. Was fun to watch people slowly figure out how the heck to groove to it
Were you at the Webster Hall show too? Yonatan Gat was loving awesome. The crowd made me feel really old for some reason though.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I saw Courtney Barnett last night and goddamn that was a good show

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

FactsAreUseless posted:

Guy standing behind you at show: drat, this Pablo is gigantic!
Upworthy > His reaction to this 5'8 gamer/hipster goon had me in tears

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

CRINDY posted:

The new Ted Leo album seems to be going under the radar, which is a goddamn shame. It's loose and dark and harder than he normally goes and great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieNMITLhtVE

Here's a deep dive from Stereogum in July that tells what's happened since The Brutalist Bricks. Short answer: debt after failed tour, wife's miscarriage and health issues, dropped from Matador, almost quit music entirely until Aimee Mann got him to do The Both, had to Kickstart the new record. I'm buying The Hanged Man when I get a chance.

https://www.stereogum.com/featured/ted-leo-is-like-you/

drat, that's some interview, in the past he's been pretty private about his personal life so it's weird/cool to see him open up so much. I've been a humongous fan of his since Hearts of Oak and I've probably seen him more than 20 times. The new album is pretty great overall. I saw him play in NYC a couple weeks ago and it was just as good a show as any I've seen him play. I'm glad he's back :)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Would like to hear your opinion on this. Was it just me or was Two Weeks like...the worst song of the set? Felt very limp

Iiiiiiiit’s been

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Thom and the Heads posted:

feel it still is like the most milquetoast song ive ever heard and it really astounds the gently caress out of me that it's getting TONS of mainstream radio play even now.

the awful forced falsetto...i feel it still.

It sucks rear end and I’m sick of it

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I’m old and have never heard of most of these bands and I’ll probably never listen to them. The only new album this year I’ve listened to is the Parquet Courts one and it kicks rear end. Farewell.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

T Bowl posted:

Why not?

Laziness mostly

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Jippa posted:

Can you guys just throw out some names of people you like from the last 5 years or when ever really. I'm just hoovering up any suggestions and enjoying them.

Parquet Courts
Courtney Barnett
Ted Leo and the Pharmacists (He’s been around forever but he’s one of my favorites and I’ve seen him probably 25 times at least)
The Lemon Twigs
Screaming Females

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

DasNeonLicht posted:

Goddamn, this is a brutal list, I'm so sorry, dude

I decided not to see Elliott Smith at the other stage at a festival so I wouldn’t lose my spot and then he killed himself like 4 months later

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dr. Krieger posted:

Love them, always fun to see live and their videos are fantastic.

Saw Ted Leo last night and his stage banter only gets better every time. Love when he does a solo tour complete with random covers and weird effects.

I was gonna go last night but I was exhausted and didn’t feel like making the 1.5+ hour trip to BK. I think I’ve seen Ted upwards of 20 times though

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

incoherent posted:

My nostalgia fest is now here

I would go to this but it’s the wrong Long Beach

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I’ve never watched a Needle Drop review and I never will

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Sock The Great posted:

Band of Horses

Santana feat. Rob Thomas of Matchbox 20

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The only new album I've gotten into in the past like 2 years is Parquet Courts' Wide Awake so I'm happy to see they're doing a free show at Central Park Summerstage next month

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

More like Stool (as in poop)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Thom and the Heads posted:

I think vampy weeks and mac demarco are both very boring tbh

This but also the National as well

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Just found out that Parquet Courts is playing near me a week from now and of course it's sold out. But the venue has a weird system I've never seen before where people can refund their tickets online and you can request a ticket if someone else refunds. So I'm 9th in line for a ticket now ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

UPDATE: I got a ticket to Parquet Courts 🙏

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

T Bowl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ-BFlTo5ag

She is so awesome.

Conversley, you guys are not awesome.

I am, actually. Sorry

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Henchman of Santa posted:

What are they gonna do about their tour that's in three months?

*Smashes basement floor with sledgehammer to reveal metal case with a single pair of drumsticks inside* I’ll do it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Thinking about the time I saw Sleater-Kinney, Ted Leo and the Unicorns for free at Hamilton College in 2004 and smiling to myself

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Went to a house noise show once in my hometown (which is also a college town) where one of the artists was two dudes in the basement walking in a circle dragging shovels with contact mics behind them for about 20 minutes

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Oh yeah I saw MGMT open for Of Montreal a couple years before they hit it big. The first time I heard Kids on the radio I was like wait, I’ve heard this poo poo before

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ZorajitZorajit posted:

2004 or so, I saw Ted Leo play a college cafeteria. I was right up at the front. My ears were ringing for two days. Didn't see him live again until he just before The Both, but just couldn't get as excited about that show.

I’ve seen Ted Leo probably more than 20 times honestly

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Boywhiz88 posted:

Bossanova is criminally underrated in their discography.

Bossanova ftw imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

curried lamb of God posted:

just wanted to confirm that Ted Leo is fantastic live

Hell yeah