Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
Did anyone listen to the Animal Collective radio stream? They played the first song off Centipede Hz at the end and uploaded it to youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6cWumQwCqA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
The more I listen to it the more I like the Take The Kids Off Broadway EP by Foxygen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwK32IuseGM

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
I'd barely call that a rant, it was a pretty mild mannered message. "Hey, Spotify is a neat service but it gets us next to nothing. Please buy our record at an independent store"

Seems fair to me.

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic

Kinetica posted:

I'm not sure if this has been posted, but if it has its a good reminder.

http://www.dogstarradio.com/search_...count=66&page=0

That link goes to the list of AltNation songs that have been played the last few days and has been where I've gotten a lot of my music from. It also seems to be the proving ground for new artists, as I've heard several bands that have made it big quite a while before hand (Foster the people come to mind especially).

You should definitely dial that back 1 station to XMU

XMU is the indie rock station, and the springboard for bands you'll hear on AltNation in 6 months.

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
Spotify doesn't give me the names but disc 1 is pretty drat good and disc 2 was terrible. Discs 3, 4, and 5 all sounded pretty similar and I liked 3 the most of the bunch but that could partially be just getting a little bored going through all of them.

I liked it more overall than I thought I would but I probably won't be trying to buy the whole box set.

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
Gorilla vs. Bear posted their best of 2013 so far list complete with Spotify playlist.

http://www.gorillavsbear.net/2013/06/10/favorites-of-2013-5/

A few there that are on my 2013 playlist as well, a few that I added (that Angel Olsen track is pretty great, first I had heard it), a few questionable entries. Like "A Cherry On Top" off Shaking the Habitual, there are probably 4 tracks off that album I would have picked before that one.

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
I usually just lurk this thread but someone should make an NMD Indie Rock/Pop/Folk/Electronic collaborative Spotify playlist to make discovering and accessing this music easier. I'd appreciate it anyway.

Edit: Actually, make 2 lists. a 2013 list and an "all-time" list.

and here's my ongoing best of 2013 playlist for reference, I'd just make it collaborative except I prefer to keep it a collection of songs I personally like and also it's maybe 5% not-Indie.

Admin Understudy fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 28, 2013

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic

SgtScruffy posted:

When I first saw Math: The Band, they had copies of their album on 3 1/2" floppies. This was in like 2009.

A whole album? Sheesh, what was the bitrate?

Maybe it just contained a text file with a link to a website to download the album??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic

britishbornandbread posted:

I don't know if this is the right thread for it but I have to ask. Would any other indie music fan be interested in a spotify playlist exchange? kinda like exchanging cassettes with mix tapes on trying impress girls but actually it's just people off the internet.

I'm desperate to hear new music but lord knows how to find it. I think I could share some good stuff too.

anyone interested?

I'm in, spotify:user:alafica