Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I quite like the new Arctic Monkeys but man its some balls to release this as the 5 year awaited followup to your mainstream breakout album dang. OK computer -> kid A comparisons are not misplaced. It will take more listens to have a real opinion on it, it's not a 'catchy' album at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
uh, the new Presets is really really good on a first listen. Nothing really against Pacifica but this is the followup to Apocolypso I've been waiting for for a decade.

Now if they would just sell the vinyl in north america I could give them my money but I'm not paying 100 bucks to import it from AUS thanks.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
new raconteurs is good but I feel like it would have been better as a vehicle for some of jack white's theatrical excess (like the second raconteurs album) mixed with his recent more mature song composition (like on the solo album).

but its just a solid dang rock album, can't really complain about that.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I went to Coachella 2007

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
That M83 and Justice doubleheader is the best 3 hours of live music I've ever seen hands down.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
dang why didn't you guys tell me about Arthur Moon? This is a stunning album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GGqJgXTw1c

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 28, 2019

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The Walrus posted:

dang why didn't you guys tell me about Arthur Moon? This is a stunning album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GGqJgXTw1c

checking back in 12 hours and 4 listens later to say this album is masterful. its like au revoir simone and radiohead had a beautiful queer baby

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Princeps32 posted:

oh hey it’s totally my poo poo, thanks

glad you like, did you check out the rest of the album? what did you think? as far as I can tell literally nowhere on the internet is talking about this album which is crazy for how good it is. I love how every song goes somewhere interesting from where it begins, and those weird dissonant turned up vocals occasionally, dang, what a loving album

https://open.spotify.com/track/4zCA0nkCocRCdRfzGcz1SF I think this might be my favourite track on it right now?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
oh look, Arthur Moon is doing remixes now. one step closer to world domination, or at least a tiny bit of indie cred.

it's great.

https://open.spotify.com/track/3qAPvmn8OZoXB5PuGQPFLP Oh Land - Salt (arthur moon remix)

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
its ok but I want them to go back to the more raw sound on their first album sometime please, the anthemic poprock is getting stale

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
synth pop peaked with the postal service there was the postal service and then 1000 less good postal service albums by other artists

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The Presets - Hi-Viz
Modest Mouse - Strangers to Ourselves
Father John Misty - I love you, Honeybear
LCD Soundsystem - This is Happening
M83 - Hurry Up, We're Dreaming
Broken Bells - Broken Bells
Arthur Moon - Arthur Moon (yeah it just came out I like it that much)
Digitalism - I Love You, dude
Brothers - Black Keys
Mutemath - Odd Soul

I'm glad I'm not the only one whose tastes haven't really moved on from the aughts. also weird, three albums with commas in their title? Two of which are titled "I love you, ___blank"? weird.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 24, 2019

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Cyril Sneer posted:

This was their worst album.

I liked it better than Pacifica but both are excellent imo. also empire of the sun are fine but every single song on TPS is a timeless classic and everyone else is just making versions of those songs.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I really loved the most recent Black Keys actually, hate to say it but ditching Danger Mouse was a good move. But yeah this Sturgill is ridiculous. A Good Look is just like a billion genres thrown at a wall and it rules.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Let’s be real. Danger mouse is a boring producer and hasn’t done anything interesting imo since demon days

brothers and modern guilt are masterpieces imo. I dont think hes a boring producer at all but his sound as per the Keys specifically was getting very very stale.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
the 4 remixes (of a band called Oh Land I'm not familiar with) on this ep are all brilliant, each and every one. can't get over how good Arthur Moon is. if you haven't checked them out on my various previous recommendations in this thread, these remixes in particular lean more towards a phantogram/purity ring x house sound than their actual album does - though those influences are definitely there on the album. it's cool to see their obvious melodic skill translate over to more poppy pop music in these remixes (the first track excepted which is tbh probably the best one on the ep - drat does it go). The first song is only a couple minutes and no song's longer than 3 so it's a nice quick listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8_M5ldV1eM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpOZDgyH1LQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DK7cnWLqIE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23Io11KvE2g

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 14, 2019

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I have gotten Hot Chip and Girl Talk mixed up for going on a decade and a half now.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I don't like pitchfork because they are totally ignoring Arthur Moon despite my THREE tweets at them to review the album. Shameful.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
new cold war kids out today :filez:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

edit: was not actually files just a vinyl code lol. I'm not going to bother reposting but if anyone wants it PM me.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 3, 2019

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The Walrus posted:

new cold war kids out today :filez:

first half of the album is not great and is painfully generic imo. the second half has some good songs.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Nov 3, 2019

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Kull the Conqueror posted:

went to Big Thief last night and it was one of the best shows I have ever seen in my thirty-odd years of life. They are in total command of their craft and just brought the house down. Adrianne Lenker is one of the poets of our times.

thank you for your attention

Good to know, I've heard their live shows described as 'workmanlike'

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
that's my experience too so I was extremely extremely weirded out by the loving mosh pit at Built to Spill earlier this autumn

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Rageaholic posted:

I've seen Built to Spill like 5 times and I've never seen anyone mosh at their shows :wtc:

it was bizarre. it was the perfect from now on tour so it's not even like it was some of their more mosh-y stuff (not that they even have any). I think some people were just like on crystal or something, it was like 15 VERY willing participants and then a lot of confused people.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Twin Cinema posted:

I was also at that Built to Spill show, and was standing pretty close to the mosh pit. I, too, was perplexed. I last saw them in the mid-00s, and it was just a bunch of stoned older people swaying. Was expecting that again.

at Lee's palace? same. to be honest I liked that show a lot more than this one, they had all three guitarists right up front and they did such an amazing job of harmonizing through the whole show. Doug is way more on his own now.

but lol, at that recent show did you have to deal with that one extremely obnoxious townie girl and her much larger older boyfriend? lots of jumping and screaming? I ended up needing to relocate just to avoid her.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

LionArcher posted:

Or you’re just a boring person who doesn’t get them. Best concerts of my life.

I'd love to hear what it is that you think people need to 'get' about Coldplay's post-2005 output

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
New Modest Mouse - it's... ok? Definitely not a single that's for sure. Overall I like it just not sure it really needs to be 6 minutes long, I was expecting a new Spitting Venom or Parting of the Sensory and it definitely isn't that

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
new Beck is basically Colours 2 like The Information was Guero 2

edit: hm I was premature. this album goes some interesting places.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 23, 2019

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
also still obsessed with it. I hear something new on every listen. at this point though I think itll be a situation where they're not gonna blow up until a sophomore release, maybe on a somewhat bigger label?

edit: oooh, FLACs are available on bandcamp. gonna have to throw another 10 bucks their way.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 29, 2019

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
new Digitalism is out and it's fan fuckin tastic

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
oh Jeffrey

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
holy heck Pixies still put on a heck of a show. I have no idea how Frank screams for two and a half hours straight at his age and new Kim is great.

edit oh this was their first show in a while. that makes sense. Frank was really going for it. in a small venue too, wow just a great show.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Dec 13, 2019

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've heard Caribou is a great show but haven't seen him. He's doing three nights in Toronto this spring and I bought the friggin one night that sturgill was in town for. Ugh.

in other news I do have some face value Caribou tickets for sale if anyone wants them.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I never realized that Forrest Gump by Digitalism was cowritten by Julian Casablancas. It does sound like a lost good strokes song with the guitars replaced by synths.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Adding to the year end lists, this is my top ten. cheated a bit by including an artist and then a remix they did of another artist, oh well. fairly eclectic mix but its all songs are good to dance to and you probably know most of them. I tried to make the transitions work as well as possible with the ordering without just grouping by genre, it probably could be better still though. (also cheated by having 11 songs)

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6vxEy1E8addJpOS3SosN6g

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 22, 2019

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

89 posted:

I missed 2019's music for the most part. Where those 2019 best of playlists at... 🙂

Favorite artists: Pearl Jam, Radiohead, Sigur Ros, The National, Tame Impala, My Morning Jacket

Also, Turn on the Bright Lights is one of the best albums ever.

I'm an old dad indie rocker in my thirties that has hated how everything has a hip hop or dubstep noise to it 🤷‍♂️

imo big thief are the best new indie rock band of the last 4ish years if you missed them. I did. also make sure you check out Sound & Fury by Sturgill Simpson. personally Arthur Moon is my favourite from 2019. stuff from the prime indie rock era you may have missed - weakerthans, rural alberta advantage, the editors.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 31, 2019

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
they were incredible live in toronto a couple months back. I liked the new songs they played.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Still can't decide on the new U.S. Girls. It's good. Just kind of a letdown I guess. It reminds me of the Tranquility Base to Poem Unlimited's AM.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
the first bit is too weird, and then the rest of it isnt weird enough

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
That Avalanches track brings a smile to my face, it's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

MasqueradeOverture posted:

Pitchfork's been bullshit ever since they gave Tool's Lateralus a 1.9.

Don't think I've heard a single Fiona Apple song. Where should I start?

listen to whole albums not songs. start with Tidal.