Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

surfpenguin posted:

I heard the song "Ho Hey," by The Lumineers a while back on my local indie radio station and I became pretty infatuated with the available songs on grooveshark. They recently released their first full album on April 3 and I'm been listening to it like crazy. Especially digging "Stubborn Love," and "Big Parade." Hopefully I can get to their show in Chapel Hill later this April, but grad school dependent.

Here's a short description from the site: "The roots revival of the last few years has primed listeners for a new generation of rustic, heart-on-the-sleeve music—the kind that nods to tradition while setting off into uncharted territory. The Lumineers walk that line with an unerring gift for timeless melodies and soul-stirring lyrics."

They're from Denver and you can listen to their entire album on their website: http://thelumineers.com/

Quoting this from a bit ago because it's easily the best new folk album I've come across thus far in 2012. Holy poo poo it is good.

I'll also drop a quick namedrop for The Rural Alberta Advantage as being a very good new discovery for me.

edit: And I think Octoberman as a folky rock band that rules needs to be mentioned too.

Walked fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Hey, someone toss me a new album suggestion. I've been through this entire thread; but I literally have spotify on for 8hrs+ a day and that means I run through music insanely quick.

Latest two items that really hit me just right

The Lumineers - The Lumineers
The Head and the Heard - The Head and the Heart

(that said, I can really throw The Head and the Heart the same level of endorsement I'd toss to The Lumineers).

edit: VVV Quick listen so far so good, will give an album a full run. Thanks VVV

Walked fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 24, 2012

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

How the gently caress was I not aware a new Tallest Man on Earth album was out today.

So. loving. Pumped.

It's good so far. So good.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

How have I missed Right Away, Great Caoptain!?

Same sorta page as The Lumineers and The Head and the Heart.

Anything else I've been missing up this alley?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

ZYNGA STOCK CRASHER posted:

Searched the thread and NMD, didn't see anything, so I'm gonna go ahead and pass on a recommendation for The Novel Ideas who have a few albums up for name-your-price (no minimum) or free at their bandcamp and Spotify. It's standard folk-rock that doesn't really break any boundaries or anything, but I've been enjoying their album Home a bunch lately. Definitely worth checking out if you have some time.

Took me a bit to get into this; but I'm really enjoying it now.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

guppiehaus posted:

Blitzen Trapper

Thanks for this; only one on your list I didnt know - and it's pretty good.

ARE THOSE MY SPERMS posted:

Ok, so I''ve been digging on some upbeat(ish) folksy songs lately, such as "Home" by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, or "Little Talks" by Of Monsters and Men. Anybody know of any songs that might be seen as similar to these two? Or even bands that produce similar music. Thanks!

Try The Head and the Heart and The Lumineers edit: Lumineers already suggested, so I'll tack on Milo Greene

If those two songs get you going, both of those bands are going to be instant-winners.

Walked fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 21, 2012

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

desert diver posted:

Can someone recommend some good artists or bands that use a lot of piano?

Wakey Wakey
Jukebox the Ghost

Both on spotify and awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

NwahNerevar posted:

Is anyone familiar with the work of Chad VanGaalen? I have to respect someone that writes a Fleet Foxes B side-esque song and calls it "Shave My Pussy". Also his animation is trippy as hell.

Chad VanGaalen is the loving bomb. Not sure what else to say aside from being some of the most unique albums I've heard that are still catchy.