Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

That new Hold Steady song is loving awesome. Never change, guys. I'm pretty stoked for the new album in March, although the singles from Heaven is Whenever were great yet the album as a whole never grabbed me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

New The Hold Steady is, to me, only a small step above Heaven is Whatever, which puts it a fair way below the rest of their work. They've officially replaced the whole intertwining guitar and piano thing with a dual guitar setup, which makes for a beefier rockier sound that I'm not so into. I like the first and last two tracks, as well as On With the Business (probably the closest anything comes here to Lifter Puller/their early sound), but most of the rest just doesn't seem to go anywhere. Runner's High is potentially the worst/dullest song they've ever recorded.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

New Mountain Goats isn't the most consistent album he's done but the best tracks are among his best ever. "Choked Out" is just loving awesome.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

This album is truly excellent.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Felt the same until the new one. Moon Water is the only track that doesn't totally grip me.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

New Vulfpeck is loving cool, if this is the right thread for that

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

....the rap thread, maybe?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

That new Mountain Goats album about goths is good. I forgot the title but I like it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

As soon as I can name the one that takes place in Tallahassee I'll have them all

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

new arctic monkeys album is an alex turner adult contemporary jazz solo album lol

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bows1 posted:

Animal Collective is my fav band but I walked out of their show last night. One hour of droning and screaming, didn’t ever play a song.

this sounds pretty accurate to me tbh

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

c Boucher run

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I am very bad at keeping up with music so I just heard the Hold Steady songs released since Franz Nicolay rejoined and they’re fuckin sick. He is definitely that band’s secret weapon

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I’m not sure how I feel about The Hold Steady’s Stay Positive remaster. The main difference seems to be lowering the guitars and turning the synths up at times which makes it come off as more indie rock than it did, and slightly less bar rock-y. Didn’t seem like it was really necessary to remaster it. Songs are still fantastic, though, and I can’t wait to see them live again (and for the first time with Nicolay) in March.

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Dec 13, 2018

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Real Name Grover posted:

I, for one, am shocked by the revelations that Ryan Adams is a skeez

Shocked I tell you

Professional dickhead also doesn’t respect women: news at 11

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Hold Steady are easily one of the best live acts working

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Needle Drop loving blows.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

one of my least favourite Fantano things is that he has a series on one of his channels that’s just him “taking down” articles on music sites he thinks are bad like he’s some elite all-knowing loving arbiter of criticism

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I’ve heard of all those acts without needing a fuckboy vlogger to tell me :)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

last three tracks on the eilish album are boring as hell but i grew to really like the rest after playing it a few times today. i feel like she definitely comes from a rich LA family but the music is good so i don’t really care about whether or not people like her image or think she’s a plant or whatever

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

69 Love Songs turned 20 years old today.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lana’s statement would be fine if not for that first paragraph. oof.

Excited to listen to The 1975. Hope it isn’t like the last one where I loved every song they released beforehand and was entirely meh on the rest once it came out. The former part has definitely been true so far, anyway.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

for all the fun experimentation and stuff on the 1975 album jesus christ... might still be my favourite. it’s gorgeous.

overall I like the album probably more than the others but it is too long and some of it is like just save it for a solo album George drat. Of the tracks I hadn’t heard before I really like Roadkill and Nothing Revealed/Everything denied, off the top of my head

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wow I literally just realised what “stranger in the alps” is a reference to

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

captainOrbital posted:

Does anyone else listen to Rina Sawayama? I am digging this album. Spotify started playing it after the gecs remix album finished playing.

Serendipity that the new The Beths and the gecs remix album both came out today and yes I know most of those remixes were already out.

Yeah the Rina album kicks rear end. Clarence Clarity exec produced.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Conversations about Modest Mouse’s early stuff being better? Am I back in 2005?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Trig Discipline posted:

Man I wish. The conversations we had back then about Modest Mouse's early stuff being better were so much better than these recent ones. I mean the new conversations about their old stuff being better are fine, but they're just not blowing my mind like they did back then.

Beautiful.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

There’s a new Phoebe Bridgers remix (I guess) EP with orchestral versions of four songs from Punisher. They’re really nice

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The movie is fantastic too.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

New Hold Steady good. Continues the return to form since Nicolay rejoined, although I think I like Thrashing Thru the Passion more.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Extremely good

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

a good way to ensure I never listen to spellling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

just to note that the name of Spellling is a hilarious joke because it’s spelled with three Ls as in it has the wrong spelling!!!! LOL