Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Did That on Television posted:

Y'all remember The Pipettes, specifically their first incarnation, right? Rebecca Stephens, after quitting, went on to form Electric Blue with some dude in 2008 and they had four songs on a MySpace account. Unfortunately, the project ended up getting abandoned and she moved on to something else around 2010. (Which would be Projectionists, and this seems also to have been abandoned...) It's a real shame because I think the four songs that they released are total earworms of classicist power pop, especially "Somebody's Help". Maybe some others here will appreciate these songs as well, since I think they deserve to be more widely heard than I suspect they have been even six years (!) later...

The second album is one of the things that disappointed me the most in music. What a turd. Thanks for the links though, pretty fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Irvcf6dCk-k#t=11

New Jenny Lewis video features Anne Hathaway, Kristen Stewart and Brie Larson in drag and it owns owns owns.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I listened to Be the Cowboy earlier. It's my first real exposure to Mitski. I like her voice, but ultimately the album didn't leave much of an impact on me.

Not really feeling the new Interpol either. It's got some cool guitar parts here and there, but no songs that feel essential to the Interpol discography. It just kinda goes on for too long without being very interesting.

If you combine choice material from Puberty 2 and Be the Cowboy you can actually make a good Mitski record!

I'm pretty consistently let down by her disparity between singles and cohesive albums.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Troxartas posted:

Also releasing today, the new Charly Bliss continues the same sound as the singles they put out so far, which isn't what I was hoping for from them. Sounds fine enough for what it is, just not for me

I'm loving it but it does sound like a different band and can see how anyone would go a different way. I appreciate they don't just sound like a Veruca Salt tribute act anymore and the 90s nostalgia isn't totally gone (Under You sounds like it could be a Dover song) but it's a shift. Songs like Capacity are such fuckin bops that I don't even care.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

UnknownMercenary posted:

I binged Rilo Kiley albums at a really vulnerable time of my life so I will always have a soft spot for them.

Same. Them and Yeah Yeah Yeahs were a gateway out of like, ska, and poo poo into better music.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

kidcoelacanth posted:

charly bliss live: still completely loving incredible

Yeaaaahhh that Philly show was fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Date With the Night still gets me amped up. Those first two albums are pretty much great cover to cover but its probably been a decade since I gave them a spin.