Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It always varies between Long Drive, Lonesome Crowded West and Moon & Antarctica. Don't get me wrong, I like Good News and We Were Dead, but not even close to how much I like those other albums. It almost feels like those 2 groups of albums are from entirely different bands.

I feel similarly about those albums but I still really enjoy their new stuff. They're evolving as a band, when you think about it they kind of had to. Isaac Brock was self destructive during those early years and if something didn't happen then he wasn't going to be around. Is the new stuff less edgy and raw, sure. But, it also has some interesting nuance and twists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005
Carrie and Lowell has exceeded whatever expectations I had. I just can't stop listening to it. As someone that's dealt with mental illness in a loved one it really hits close to home.

I'm also pleasantly surprised by the Death Cab album. After two listens I'd say that it's their best album since Plans.

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005

Knifegrab posted:

I get to see Sufjan live soon and I've never been more excited for a show.

Seriously! I got tickets to see him in June and it feels way too far away!

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005

BonoMan posted:

Thanks for this... hadn't heard of this guy. Loving it so far!

If you like that, check out their album 'Kaputt'. It's pretty spectacular.

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005

Love the song, hate the video. Berninger pushes the envelope on pretentiousness under the best of circumstances but watching him flail around in white pants and disgusting hair is just too much.

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005

Punch Card posted:

Maybe I'm just way too familiar with him, but he's just some really awkward dude loving around having fun. Pretentiousness has rarely made less sense than it does right here.

Fair enough, my knee-jerk reaction was a bit much. There's still something that I find off-putting about it but that probably has more to do with my awkwardness than the video itself. I still really like the song and I'm excited to hear the rest of the album.

"ThatsMyBoye" posted:

Would watching him and his bandmates swim in a pool and jump in a bouncy castle and use a slip'n'slide and fire a potato gun all while in black suits help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpz_gUyImhw

The suits help immensely.

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005
San Fermin Released a new single, No Devil. Really wish this had made the album, I really like it.

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005
Hands down Sufjan put on my favorite show of the year.

Speaking of Sufjan, he released a christmas song which is pretty interesting. I have to give him credit for mixing Joy Division into a holiday song (skip to 7:30 to check it out, yes it's a long song but worth the ride).

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005

Sir Lemming posted:

Throughout his whole Christmas collection there's probably at least 1 solid full-length album of original Christmas songs, in addition to the very good covers.

Oh yeah, his Christmas songs are pretty terrible on average but I thought the 'Christmas unicorn' was a new one and I was surprised that it didn't completely suck.

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005

modestmusashi posted:

Is this where I can talk about John Maus? I just discovered John Maus and I am smitten.

If he performs near you do not miss it!

I've never seen someone put forth more individual energy onstage. It's even more surprising given that it's just him, a keyboard and a microphone. I still don't know if I'd classify it as a 'good' show but it was a spectacle and it's been a few years and i'm still thinking about it so there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005
I saw Bon Iver in San Diego a week and a half ago and I have to say that I was pretty disappointed in the show. I thought that looking back I would realize that I missed something but instead my memory solidified the mediocrity of the performance.

First a positive, the stage design and production were great. The lights on each 'stage' and the projected backgrounds added to the music and was really impressive.

The thing that dragged the performance down was the lack of musicianship that was happening on stage per performer. There were 6 - 10 people on stage during any given song (the sax section would come and go). At least half of those people would be sitting there doing nothing or playing with a nob or a laptop. I get that the music has an electronic component to it but I feel like the amount of performers could be reduced and it would have added to the overall show.

For example, there were two percussionists. When I saw both drum sets I was excited as this is usually the sign of a high energy performance. Instead the two drummers rarely played at the same time and often one percussionist would be idle or looking at a computer.

Most of the problem is that they played the new album in it's entirety. I like the new album but I don't think it translates well to a live performance. It seemed like most of the melody's were samples with the band contributing the rhythm. This works great for the album but it doesn't translate to the stage well. When they were finished with the new album they played a couple of songs off of 'Bon Iver' which were great compared to the previous offerings and Justin Vernon performed 'Skinny love' for the encore which was absolutely fantastic.

tl;dr The new album isn't good live.