Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

I like Neon Bible only. That's my story. And they said it was a coincidence that the album shares the same name as the book by John Kennedy Toole, they are so full of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Live At Five! posted:

Nothing beats sound of silver due to the one two punch of all my friends and someone great.

I don't know. That riff he totally ripped off from that Beach House song is pretty blatant and off-putting.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

britishbornandbread posted:

Wait what's this?

You Wanted a Hit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3G6L8doFcw

sounds like

Lover of Mine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC4jqub6Z_I

I confused my albums, it was a song on This is Happening. I've only given LCD albums a once-through listen and disregarded his stuff. But I remember listening to This is Happening and doing a double take.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Wait, they had a good song after their first album?

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

I didn't read the text, just saw the photo first. Thought it was a story about George Michael.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I still bump the gently caress out of some Architecture In Helsinki from time to time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7anvx32Q6M

And Kaiser Chiefs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAkg4cwJp1Y

And Maximo Park.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ue193sAcrE

And We Are Scientists.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UXsgg9Cc1A

Although I'm pretty sure all (if not most) of those bands are still making music, even though I haven't kept up with any of their new releases in many years.

On a somewhat related note, I just saw an hour or so ago that Built to Spill announced a show here in May, and...I'm not sure if I care anymore? Like they're one of my all-time favorite bands, don't get me wrong. I've seen them like 4 times. It's just that the last couple times I've seen them were kinda samey and not particularly standout. They didn't have that same energy as when I first saw them in like 2009 and they closed their set with like a 15 minute long improv jam version of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCCX-E8VMJw

And even seeing them for the first time in 2009, I'm sure I was already seeing them way past their heyday of live shows.

Yeah, I saw BTS in 2001 and got a 15 minute jam encore that made me just want to leave. They played songs I wanted to hear throughout the show. People did shout out a couple requests but he kept saying “Sorry, but we have a set list we have to follow”. Can’t deviate once but got the time to drone on forever, jamming incoherent riffs? Lame. I did know going in that they did like to jam, but people were just sticking around out of respect only.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

I personally passed on them because of a couple lame videos that I saw on MTV2. Like the one in the classroom comes to mind. But I did like The Crane Wife when that came out. And then whatever album came after that felt like a real try-hard follow up. I hate jam bands, but I like it when bands do 10 minute plus songs.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

resident posted:

$117 for two tickets to see MGMT in Seattle. I don't understand how a band that salted the scorched remnants of their fan base still has enough following to warrant this.

I think I paid $14 for the ticket to see them at Doug Fir Lounge in ‘08. I balked at paying $80 for two tickets to go to Death Cab at the Crystal Ballroom in maybe ‘04. And I walked out of one of their shows early back when it was only $10 to see them, but that was at the Glass House in Pomona. I don’t see many shows anymore, unless the wife drags me to see Flogging Molly.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

I think when Letterman announces them as “The Management” when they were promoting the first album, is when they were officially rebranded. Hell, the album cover was changed shortly after.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Propaganda Hour posted:

Yeah and he's a racist douchebag but I want to see SP live so *farts*

That time has long passed. Sorry.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

angrygodofjebus posted:

While we're on Interpol, I totally dug this cover back from December:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOhZYvRBt5U

If this is the one I've heard on KCRW, all I could think was why? It also confused the hell out of me for a second. Like, I know this song but this isn't the song I know.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Dugong posted:

The new Foals single is giving me debut album vibes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6YMCjpfH0c

I remember learning about Foals when looking up other bands that fit into the "math rock" category. This was around the time when that first Battles album came out and I heard a show on an NPR affiliate talk about that sub-genre a bit. And I love every song on Antidotes, even if a track didn't stand out to me it eventually grew on me.

But man has everything been a departure since then, and in every direction. I honestly wrote them off as "looking for inspiration while on drugs" with Total Life Forever when they released the first song and video.

Don't get me wrong, I do like a handful of tracks on all their other albums, but none of them have the same complete package feeling as that first album. Maybe I just really like a horn section? But that track just seems like more of the same off the last two albums.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

poop dood posted:

Sadly there is nothing like that first Foals album. I feel your pain. It's such an incredible album, and nothing sounds remotely like it. Fortunately there are a lot of singles, b-sides and demos from that era of the band. Surely you've heard these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDSOO9Qz1-c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjNNWvz3JT4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQniMPdg_Rg

It's really such a shame that they're so boring now. They used to be so unique. Yannis is still hot at least.

Yeah, I have those on heavy rotation. I was not successful in trying to guess which order you posted them in though.

Another thing with that album, at one point they switched the album artwork. I could only assume that it must’ve been for entry into another market or when that album started to get legs. But I just remember the same thing happened to my friend’s band, they got picked up by a small subsidiary of Warner Bros. and with that came an album artwork change. And in both examples, it wasn’t for the better.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

poo poo, I’m in the right Long Beach for that festival. Maybe I can actually go.

And everyone should support fellow goon “band member #?” from Tokyo Police Club.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

That new Modest Mouse is strong. I think the lyrics being simple is due to the fact that they’re trying to adapt to a newer-style sound, which is pretty good. I know they experimented a little bit on that last album with some tracks. I remember people posting about certain tracks they didn’t like, even though they did stand out for other poster. It’s funny too because I was just listening to their last two albums the other day and commending them, at least on We Were Dead, that they could keep that same twang guitar sound without feeling copycat repetitive.

And Band of Horses was good, and then they broke up after their first album. So you can only compare them to that period of time.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

spanky the dolphin posted:

Tame Impala played another new track on SNL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJOI2dtDZ4

Far catchier than the first single.

Like many of the recent musical acts that are somewhat obscure for most over 40 SNL viewers, all my wife had to say about Tame Impala was “What is this, I don’t like this.” I had to explain to her that they are most well known for covering the Air Wolf theme song.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

T Bowl posted:

I mean he's 33 and been around for about a decade. Sounds like you should go back to your cave old man.

My wife is the over 40 one. I know Tame Impala. Keep up!

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

That is what sold me on Death From Above so many years ago, seeing them on OG Conan live. It was such a surreal moment because Sebastian hopped off the drums and went on guitar and I don’t know if it was unrehearsed and it took a minute for him to realize it, but Max Weinberg went “oh poo poo” and ran over and hopped on their drum kit.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

My sister-in-law (who did not know who the Killers were or what Brandon Flowers looked like) was in Iceland the same time they were playing a show right after that album came out. She was at a nightclub waiting for her friend who was in the restroom, when Brandon Flowers walked up to her and says Hi I’m Brandon Flowers and she replies Who? Mind you, the video for the first single was being played regularly and they were just on the cover of Rolling Stone. To her credit though, she had no interest in the rock music of that time, she mostly listened to country and pop. She said he looked so dejected when one of the only Americans in the night club didn’t even know who he was.

Anyway, my friend loved that story because he hated Brandon Flowers since he came off as a pompous blowhard in a few interviews when that first album came out.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Dammit, I forgot the best part. So he walks away, and the friend finally comes back from the restroom. She tells the friend Hey some dude named Brandon Flowers just came up to me. And the friend started flipping out because she did actually know who he was.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Rageaholic posted:

I thought they sounded good like they have the last few times I've seen them. I heard some people talking after the show about how they didn't like it that much, but I enjoyed it KILAS is my favorite album of theirs, so they played everything I wanted to hear and then some!

Did they keep it tight or did they do any deviation and start jamming. Because I didn't expect that when I saw them years ago when they were promoting Ancient Melodies. The show probably went on for another 30 minutes but I left early due to it just being an encore jam session. They played all kinds of old tracks in their main set so I was more than satisfied.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

We had some female singer songwriter who would disappear into the late 90s musical void play at our college. When we were told that the student council picked her over Sebadoh, oh boy!

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Boywhiz88 posted:

Bossanova is criminally underrated in their discography.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Bossanova ftw imo.

Funny, I read that post originally but resisted the urge to post the truth.

Hang Wire rips.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

He's with Casper now.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Indie rock has been on hiatus since Calla went on hiatus.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Turambar posted:

I went to see William Fitzsimmons in Antwerp last week. Wow, what a great show.
His voice sounds just as clear live as it does on the records. His banter is funny in a pitch-black way.
The audience (maybe 300 people) was quiet except for the applause between songs. You could hear a pin drop.

I'm going to see Jambinai tonight. Completely different genre, but looking forward to it as well.

That reminds me of the first time my friend and I saw José González. It was a small auditorium and everyone kept totally silent except for applause. Everyone was so focused on him. And he even admitted to messing up a bit on one song and everyone gave a collective "We didn't notice".

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

101 posted:

Is it bad that I only know this from LittleBigPlanet?

I only heard them on MTV2's Subterranean and on public radio. So that makes three places to hear them for me. And that really is their only good song. I'm surprised they're still together.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Nothing made me feel time slipping away faster and also go LOL WHY more than Filter announcing a 20th anniversary tour for Title of Record. And they even remastered the album and are releasing it on vinyl. Like why would I buy that again. I loved it 19 years ago, but talk about forgettable and being lost to the moment of the pre-2000s start of radio-friendly, industrial-lite alt-rock wave that we got bombarded with back then. So many CDs that ended up lining the used sections of the Wherehouse and Amoeba, and eventually new copies filling the bargain bins of the Virgin Megastore.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

The first track that I heard of Tame Impala just gave me Airwolf intro flashbacks. I would’ve never guess their Australian based on the Similarities. But I’m sure Airwolf air down in Australia.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Am I in the time warp back to when they released “Poison the Well” cuz this was the same reaction to that. 0-2. Oh well. We Were Dead is still a solid album. The last one they released I’ve only revisited a handful of times. I put a couple tracks on my iPod but don’t feel the need to listen start to finish.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

WTF with Yeasayer calling it quits? I saw their post on Twitter earlier.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Stuff like Hobo Johnson only exists to inspire others

https://youtu.be/7Br4VWVECqI

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Who are the current shoe gaze artists still putting out new albums?

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

yeah ok ok yeah posted:

one of the best live shows I've ever seen to this day is still an Arcade Fire one I saw back when they were touring Funeral. Wolf Parade and La Belle Orchestre opened, so I was pretty spoiled for the line-up.

Their appearance on Conan back for that album was pretty darn good. I am of the mindset that Neon Bible was their last solid start-to-finish album. Everything after that’s just a couple handpicked songs.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

If only Suff Jan could make more whispery flute songs themed after Delaware or Wyoming. I control his Wikipedia page and the state discography section I keep labeled as WIP.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

BonoMan posted:

If you're a Spotify user (and listen to them a lot) check your email. I just got one of those Spotify Fans First offers for a signed vinyl (limited to 500 copies) of their new album.

How much of a cut does Spotify take from those vinyl sales?

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Good News just needs a few solid playthroughs to grow on you.

Lol at that video, that’s great.

The live version of Broke on Baron Von BS is good. I like it better than the Interstate 8 version. But Broke is one of my faves. There are hooks on some songs of theirs from each album that just stick with you and make them stand out. I think A Different City has one of the better ones.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

whos that broooown posted:

So many early Modest Mouse fans here and not one appears to give a gently caress about Unwound's bassist dying.

I had to look up Unwound.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Cemetry Gator posted:

I'm really getting pissed off at HAIM. I did their preorder for their vinyl album Women in Music Part III. It's mid-September, and nothing has shipped. The last email from Livenation was that they'll be shipping in 2-3 weeks, which was sent on August 4th.

Like, I understand that the pandemic hosed things up. But they charged my credit card. Don't take my money if you can't get the goods out there. And at the very least, send the occasional email explaining what's going on. I can accept that supply chains are hosed up. I can accept that even deliveries might be backed up even by a pretty large amount. That's all cool. But at least tell me. Give me an idea of what's going on. Because I've ordered from other bands and labels, and I've gotten a decent turn-around. So it's just radio silence.

And when it's your website, you better loving own it. I know, they're on a major label so once again, they don't run the show. But still. They could issue an apology or something and say "Yeah, we know that this poo poo is hosed, and we're going to fix it."

In contrast, there's a similar delay for My Morning Jacket's the Waterfall Pt 2, but they were like "Yeah, it's going to be late September before we get them." That's totally cool. If there's another delay, it'll be cool, as long as they tell me.

I just hate how customer service has become this loving commodity. I'm sorry. I am owed an explanation when you take my money, you say you're going to do something, and then you don't do it.

Your post and the Arcade Fire reminiscing reminded me of when I tried to order the deluxe version of Neon Bible after release directly from their website, basically because I wanted to support the band rather than Best Buy (even though it's actually a band merch ecommerce site they contracted). So I go on there and order the first ep, the first album, and Neon Bible. I get a email a day later saying my stuff has shipped, it shows all three items are coming and even had a tracking number. Two days later I get this email:

Customer Service Rep posted:

This email is regarding your recent Arcade Fire order. Unfortunately, we lost all of the Neon Bible CDs we had in an electrical fire here a few weeks ago. We will no longer be carrying Arcade Fire’s merchandise, so this CD will not be available in the future with us. I have applied a 20% discount to your order to apologize for the inconvenience. Your order was sent with the remaining item. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

I remember being so angry. I would have bought it from their merch table at a show, but they weren't playing LA any time soon back then. Like why can't you cancel the order before shipping me anything. I finally bought it at Fry's up in Oregon a year later for like $8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

The is the last thing I expected. And it made me look up what the Appleseed Cast was up to and they released an album last year!?! and it’s only $5 on Bandcamp! My emocore fix in 2020