Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I got introduced to Mike Krol the other night and I really dig him.

http://mikekrol.bandcamp.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dszhHqFpgl8

I'm hoping my work schedule allows me to see him in a couple weeks, but gently caress me if I don't love fuzz and that garage sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Is this where I can talk about FIDLAR? Too leaked and it's loving great. It's super different from their self-titled and the songs that preceded that. Zac is very open about the poo poo he's been through in the last few years. It's crazy to read about, but it's so honest.

So yeah, I am glad that my FIDLAR tattoo on my knees isn't gonna be a waste. Can't wait to see them in a week or two

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

bows1 posted:

New album rules. I think 40 oz on Repeat and Bad Habits are my favorite songs.

Yeah. I really like Bad Habits and Overdose.

Seeing them in a few weeks, again. Saw them two nights in a row back in May and it was such a gnarly and fun concert.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

FIDLAR rolled through last night. 3rd time I've seen them since May. It was awesome. The new songs are great live. Got some pics with Zac, Max, and Brandon after. The nicest guys. See them if you can! Now for Wavves next week!!!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

New Wavves is streaming on NPR

http://n.pr/1MK8rKu

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

I saw David Byrne in a concert hall and it was fantastic, I think some bands just do better in certain venues.

Sigur Ros benefits from seats for sure. Also, drat Beach House. I still need to check out Depression Cherry. Slow down!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

T Bowl posted:

This story made me laugh and I feel no sympathy at all:

http://pitchfork.com/news/61661-joanna-newsom-spotify-is-the-banana-of-the-music-industry-it-just-gives-off-a-fume/

I wonder if she's at all bitter that when you search her name on Spotify it links The Muppets soundtrack.

But she's not wrong and it's been a huge criticism of Spotify since it got big? I'm pretty sure Radiohead isn't on there for similar reasons.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Slandible posted:

My friend found them through NPR and now I am hooked on this band Skating Polly. Just a couple of kids that make some deep indie jams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNdiPi6Sy3o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikrcCULHhc4

Yeah, Skating Polly rip. Saw them last month. Highly recommended.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Cloks posted:

Has anybody said that Pile by A Giant Dog is fantastic?

https://youtu.be/4dBvZLehlNs

They played MPLS last week, it was AWESOME. I have to encourage anyone and everyone to see them. It's fun, it's loud!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

http://rollingstoneaus.com/music/post/first-listen-the-gooch-palms-introverted-extroverts/4043-page-1

The new Gooch Palms album!! It rocks. If you're not familiar with these two lovable Aussies, get acquainted. "Novos" was one of my favorite records of 2014. They're great and I hope they get some of the recognition they deserve with this new album.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Slandible posted:

Saw Skating Polly last night, awesome band to see live. One of them plays four instruments and I think shes probably half my age, uhhhg.

I'll second this. Saw them a few months back when they hit MPLS, and it was a rocking show. They're incredibly gifted when it comes to songwriting. There's a YouTube video of a light set in Brooklyn that's amazing and I can listen to it for hours at a time.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Dugong posted:

Gorillaz are currently posting a sort of timeline of their releases on Twitter and Instagram. Oh boy, could this be it?

Has it honestly been 6 years? Yeah! Hoping fo a Demon Days caliber record

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

The only major criticisms I saw came from actual Vietnamese people but sure, it's just those drat white SJWs.

Same. Minnesota has a pretty substantial southeast Asian population, and that includes Vietnamese people. One of my best friends came over at age 6. His father was in the South Vietnam Army, so yeah Viet Cong is still a raw rub.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Cloks posted:

Pile from A Giant Dog is good.

Members of A Giant Dog are also in Sweet Spirit and I dug their album "Kokomo"

One of my favorite local releases came from Tony Peachka. The album is like 20 min long and is just perfect

https://tonypeachka.bandcamp.com/releases

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

bows1 posted:

Ran into Chris from Grizzly Bear last night. He said they finished their new album (5 years in the making) yesterday and it will be out soon!

Not a joke FYI

Never gonna beat Veckatimest but we can hope!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I grabbed a ticket for this tour because we got a new venue open here and this is the only concert I have interest in that's playing there. I'm thankful that there will be seating, because it's not the most dynamic. But they play the songs real good and real loud. I wasn't gonna do it but Mourning Sound has me pretty pumped.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

When I saw Danny Brown at First Ave it was my first mainroom show since DFA1979. So, around 2 years or so. They loving destroyed. I was thankful I stayed upstairs and was able to just take it in. I'll wait for the album, but I'd probably see em again if the album isn't terrible.

Also, agreed w the above poster. Their EPs rock.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

A Giant Dog is touring and you need to loving see them now. This was my 2nd time seeing them and it was just loving great. The band is great, Sabrina is an awesome front woman. Britt Daniels fucks w em if you're a Spoon fan.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Trig Discipline posted:

Even in the 90s when they were brand new I was just baffled by their popularity. You know how in Westworld there are some things the robots are prohibited from seeing, and they just look all confused and say "it doesn't look like anything to me"? That's me with U2.

Trig Discipline posted:

Even in the 90s when they were brand new I was just baffled by their popularity.

Trig Discipline posted:

Even in the 90s when they were brand new

Uhhhhh

Wikipedia posted:

U2 are an Irish rock band from Dublin formed in 1976.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

I wonder what the dudes from Tapes 'n' Tapes are up to. Probably hanging out. Probably chilling.

Those first two albums have some loving rockers on there. 10 Gallon Ascot is a favorite. Sad I never saw em before it was over. At least I'm in the right place for it if it happens (the Twin Cities)

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

angrygodofjebus posted:

Yeah that's good, had no idea she was doing solo stuff.

I'm cool with it as I won't listen to Crystal Castles anymore. My understanding is that she and Ethan split on negative terms

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

You aren't missing out on much. The new CC vocalist is pretty good, though Amnesty (their newest album) only has a handful of good tracks at best.

I'm forever thankful for CC II. I think it's a perfect album and I don't think I've heard anything like it since.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Congrats and all but if you’re so into him, why did you spend 20 min recording him? Sorry, bit of a pet peeve

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Sperglord Firecock posted:

I'm sorry I recorded something for other folks to enjoy I guess???

https://www.youtube.com/user/UnderCurrentMPLS

This is how you record something for someone to enjoy. Take a step back so it’s not overwhelming the mic, and record a song or two. I’m sorry, but you would have been my least favorite person there that night no matter how much we both liked the same band. Now, I’m also the guy who gets chuffed about people not rocking at a rock concert, but I would seriously have been tempted to slap the phone out of your hands and tell you to be in the moment. When I was still on Snapchat, I’d bitch at some of my friends who would go to shows and record minutes at a time via Snap.

I don’t think you’re a terrible person, or that your actions were terrible. Just highly inconsiderate and misguided. It’s distracting, and the quality is such that I have no interest in checking the guy out. I’m glad you had a good time, and I hope you continue to have good times and get the opportunity to document going to shows. I love live music and it drives me crazy that more people don’t participate in it. I really respect your passion for the guy, but just take a step back next time you wanna record an entire show almost and think about it.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Yeah I'm sorry I got a bit cross it's just slightly disheartening to get folks pouncing on me like I'm a vile person for something I didn't really know. I don't do shows like this often, and some friends asked me to record it.

I'll be more mindful of it in the future.

No worries, Firecock! I tried in my last post to be as effective as I could be w/o tearing ya down. I waffled on bringing it up, but it’s like my only pet peeve at shows. Thanks for being receptive to the feedback. Smaller shows are a ton of fun, and really benefit from being in the now. If your friends wanted to see it so bad, they should have gone, maaaaaaaan.

I really appreciate your enthusiasm and effort-post and I can almost guarantee that Saint Pepsi didn’t notice or care about the camera and was thankful that someone wanted to talk and buy his stuff! Keep checking out smaller shows. Until last September, I went through an almost 2year period of just going to smaller shows, and I really can’t go back. Big shows are just too much. Too many people, too many people that don’t care, too long and too much standing.

If you get bored, check out the channel I posted, it really got me into the Twin Cities scene and other bands that have toured through, etc. then see if your area has anything like that or at least a Facebook group?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Man, I miss Elliott Smith. I always stuck with his first three albums. What are people’s favorite Figure 8 or From a Basement... tracks? Hell, favorite Elliott in general.

https://youtu.be/lL6f419zXj4

Roman Candle is super underrated.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Twin Cinema posted:

Happiness is one of my favourite songs of all-time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2bRVGOweRw

When you say you have only stuck with his first 3 albums, does that mean you haven't listened to XO?

Nope. Just Roman Candle, S/T, and Either/Or.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Jesus Christ :smith: Now I feel sick for supporting Crystal Castles as long as I did. Nobody deserves this kind of treatment. gently caress Ethan and everything he did to Alice.

I mean, it’s not like this came out while they were still a band. I’ve definitely not felt comfortable about supporting CC post-Alice just because it diminished her role when she was an integral part. Now I have something I can point to for people who still support Ethan.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

The floodgates have opened. First Avenue canceled the Crystal Castles show next month and I would not be surprised if all other venues follow their lead.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Crystal Castles cancelled all their upcoming tour dates except one, at a music festival I'm going to this weekend. I wasn't going to see them anyway because I'd already seen them before and they're playing at the same time as someone else I want to see, but if they do end up playing that, I hope they get booed off stage.

Yeah, I feel bad for the new gal because 1) she’s likely in a similar position to Alice with regard to abuse and control from Ethan, and 2) she probably joined CC viewing it as an opportunity and a starting point, and now she’s embroiled in all of Ethan’s baggage.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Didn’t see it posted but Ethan Kath gave his reply to Alice’s allegations. I’m not gonna post it but it’s loving gross and gently caress that guy. Please do not support CC or him in anyway.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

He's suing her for defamation, because she hasn't been through enough.

The one good thing that came out of it was it reminded me to unlike CC on Facebook because I hadn't done that already.

Same here! I saw that, and before I unliked it, took a look at the comments on the post and reminded myself of just how lovely people are. One comment was something like “funny that she’s saying this now” as if there wasn’t a huge, international story blowing up about a sexual predator in the Hollywood system followed by numerous stars telling their stories, some of which have been verified, and others that are backed up by multiple people. HW Bush loving admitted he’s been patting asses! Kevin Spacey’s career is loving shot, and should have been years ago when that first incident occurred, but surprise surprise, it was covered up.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Only big acts I saw this year were Wavves, QOTSA, and seeing Grizzly Bear. Everything else has just been local. I’m pretty pumped for GB just because it’s my first time at the new concert venue in St. Paul, The Palace.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I saw Grizzly Bear on Friday and it was loving awesome. So much better than when I saw them in 2012. It was my first time at the venue and it was waaaaaaay too loud, which I blame on the venue.

But it had way more energy and heart behind it than when I saw them touring for Shields. Highly recommend seeing them and it would go very well w psychedelics. My only regret is the mushrooms that I took didn’t really work.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Anna McClellan came through town last night. From Omaha and there are times where I can’t help but draw a comparison to Conor, but it was a really great show and she really brought it.

http://www.thegreyestates.com/blog/mp3-heart-of-hearts-anna-mcclellan

I haven’t listened to the album I picked up yet, but she played this song last night and I loved it.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Yeah, I wasn’t sure about supporting CC post-Alice and then she released that statement and it was a no brained. II is still one of my favorite all time albums though.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Hahahahahahahahah. Ohhhhh gently caress Grimes

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Peach Kelli Pop rule and I can’t wait to see them again in a couple weeks! Everyone should check em out! Peachkellipop.bandcamp.com

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Spoon and grizzly bear were awesome. Great show. Grizzly bear had a lot more energy then i expected and spoon was nothing like when i saw them touring They Want My Soul. Lot of weird interludes and extended grooove jams. Very cool.

I had a ticket for the MN stop and work is sending me to Milwaukee over the weekend. Wehhhhhh

Glad I saw Grizzly Bear on their tour. They’re sooooooo good this go around. Eons ahead from the Shields tour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Lutha Mahtin posted:

have y'all heard of monica laplante

https://youtu.be/Gxuft82uwuM

I do but that’s because I’m at a lot of shows she plays. Hasn’t clicked yet but she and the band rip, and she deserves more attention. Same w Catbath!