Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

I highly recommend the Garmin watches. They're excellent. I've had a Vivoactive 3 and now an Instinct Solar, and loved both of them (vivoactive ate it in a bike crash )

And if you can get a screaming deal on a non-solar Instinct grab it. I'm talking like less than $100 at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Semi-Protato
Sep 11, 2001

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Amazfit GTR2e? I last tried a smart watch in 2018, but it never really clicked. I want to try again, mainly for sleep tracking and just message notifications. I don't need something super complicated. I'd been eyeing that one and the Garmin Venu or Vivoactive

I just bought and returned an Amazfit GTR2e. It's a really slick looking watch but if you turn on any of the sensors related to sleep tracking the battery life takes a giant poo poo. Like 10% of the battery used in one 8hour sleep. If you want better battery life, you have to turn off advanced tracking options for sleep that meant no sleep stage sensing - something my dying Vivoactive 3 did on release day. For a watch that touts weeks of battery life under heavy use and over a month with basic use, this was hugely disappointing. Also the Zepp app SUCKS - the data is there and reasonably easy to get to but if you need to configure anything on your watch none of the settings are intuitive to the point I thought the options were moving around between menus each time I tried to change something. It was that bad.

I ended up upgrading to the Venu. It's everything I wanted out of the GTR2e with the same (actual, not advertised) battery life and Garmin Connect is an infinitely more useable app for configuring the watch as well as accessing health/fitness data. Big downside though was that the cost was 2x the GTR2e, but with both watches I got what I paid for.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hey guys, I'm in the market for a new smartwatch/activity tracker. I bought a Fitbit Charge 3 in 2019, but the display stopped working after barely a year, and last month the strap broke, which was the last straw. I did like the design and the actual tracking it did. The app is fine, too.

What would you currently recommend that is similar to it, but with better hardware that won't break after a year? Basic tracking like steps and heart rate, app integration, sturdy but with a simple design and not too big. Low to medium price class. Preferably not made by Fitbit. Thanks for any suggestions.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

That Xiaomi Mi Smart Band, I guess.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Xiaomi Mi Smart Band 5? Does anyone have one?

I like what I'm reading so far, seems like a strong contender.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 28, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

My sister has one, she's pretty satisfied. You apparently need a third party application, if you want in-depth details about what it tracks, because Xiaomi's stock app is kept too simple. I think she's using "Notify for Mi Band".

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?

I'm sad we didn't get a tease of the one plus watch this morning at their presser. But it seems likely that something will appear on the 23rd.

Also all these rumours about Samsung dropping their next batch of watches in Q2 is very interesting as well cos the active really looks like a great watch.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Anyone happen to know if the OnePlus watch will support payments and/or Keep?

I like my Sport for doing payments and using keep at the grocery store, but that thing sure is slow.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

What is the most comfortable device to measure blood oxygen overnight on an iPhone?

We had planned to wait to get the new Apple Watch when it comes out for the blood sugar monitoring, but my grandmother is having health problems and we need to be sure she is getting enough oxygen while she sleeps.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Whether the Apple Watch is reliable enough is a question, with what it sits on the wrist and can move a lot.

Facebook's ad service has been pestering me with this one for whatever reason: https://getwellue.com/pages/o2ring-oxygen-monitor

Ideally, blood oxygen saturation should be measured by shining red and IR light through a finger, not by reflecting it. Which this ring device above appears to do.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

I just wonder what the First Lady's boobs are up to!

Gangringo posted:

What is the most comfortable device to measure blood oxygen overnight on an iPhone?

We had planned to wait to get the new Apple Watch when it comes out for the blood sugar monitoring, but my grandmother is having health problems and we need to be sure she is getting enough oxygen while she sleeps.

There are actual FDA certified medical products for this situation is this is a legitimate medical concern, she needs to be talking to her doctor about these concerns, not Something Awful.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I've been holding off getting a smartwatch since basically forever (last couple of years it has been waiting for the new Qualcomm chip to come out for a WearOS, either the next decent Fossil or the ever rumoured Pixel Watch) but have been getting a lot of people pushing me towards getting a proper fitness tracker. Currently I use my phone to track runs and monitor sleep. For the latter it's a bit awkward as it's on the bed, for the former it's fine and works well with Strava but I guess not having a phone strapped to my arm could be nicer.

Garmins look good, the Vivo 4 and the Instinct both seem to tick all the boxes and my understanding from looking at them is the Vivo 4 is a swish looking smartwatch that works well as a fitness tracker while the Instinct is a more bare bones, rugged and longer lasting option. Do these need a phone paired to them or would they be realistic options to play podcasts/music through headphones without one on a run? Will they integrate with Strava for run tracking? Will either of them function as a smartwatch i.e. decent pay integration, able to check messages, store digital tickets/store cards? (it looks like the Vivo is a maybe and the Instinct is, well, barebones).

I've gotten some idea of the difference from online browsing but some first hand experience would really help, especially with how well they pair up with an Android phone (will there be frequent frustration over apps not matching between devices, etc).

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?

MrNemo posted:

I've been holding off getting a smartwatch since basically forever (last couple of years it has been waiting for the new Qualcomm chip to come out for a WearOS, either the next decent Fossil or the ever rumoured Pixel Watch) but have been getting a lot of people pushing me towards getting a proper fitness tracker. Currently I use my phone to track runs and monitor sleep. For the latter it's a bit awkward as it's on the bed, for the former it's fine and works well with Strava but I guess not having a phone strapped to my arm could be nicer.

Garmins look good, the Vivo 4 and the Instinct both seem to tick all the boxes and my understanding from looking at them is the Vivo 4 is a swish looking smartwatch that works well as a fitness tracker while the Instinct is a more bare bones, rugged and longer lasting option. Do these need a phone paired to them or would they be realistic options to play podcasts/music through headphones without one on a run? Will they integrate with Strava for run tracking? Will either of them function as a smartwatch i.e. decent pay integration, able to check messages, store digital tickets/store cards? (it looks like the Vivo is a maybe and the Instinct is, well, barebones).

I've gotten some idea of the difference from online browsing but some first hand experience would really help, especially with how well they pair up with an Android phone (will there be frequent frustration over apps not matching between devices, etc).

Garmin has also just dropped the Venu 2 which is the closest they've gotten to a traditional smart watch and from all the reviews Ive read seems to fix most of the problems people had with the venu 1.

TVsVeryOwn
Jan 9, 2011

Anybody ever try to develop for Tizen? I just wanna make a good watch face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Gangringo posted:

Get a fingertip pulse oximeter, they're like 20 bucks. The Apple Watch is absolutely not a medical device and shouldn't be treated like one, not to mention being hundreds of times more expensive than the medical devices it claims to emulate.