Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

On the other hand, the Pebble is at $9,871,311 of $100,000; here's hoping people who sign on now see one in under two years.

e: they're swearing by September still, actually. Also, heads-up guys: they capped the campaign at 85,000 watches and there's only 1,154 left as of 1:10 PM EST. Here's a tracker for the remaining stock, and it goes down every time I refresh the drat page:

http://computingeureka.com/pebble/

So if you want one this year, go go go.

Got one at $99. Can't wait until it arrives! These guys seem to have their poo poo together. Either this will be an epic launch or an epic flop. I'm betting on a success...

Then again kickstarter is nothing more than a fancy pledge with 0 guarantee of receiving an actual product. These guys could disappear in the middle of the night or get hit by a bus and blamo, you get nothing for your pledge...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Someone, please use this invite so I don't waste $1,500. Expires in 3 days. Should work but can't guarantee it since I initially clicked on buy it now but stopped there. The internet suggests this ties it to my gmail account, so I'm not certain it will work. Good luck rich goon.

YLTZ-HPJD-NRNB-BBMH

Edit: a SA lurker appears. Thank you because I've had a few beers and went to buy the thing just now. Again, saved me $1,500.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Dec 8, 2013

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Seraji posted:

Does anyone have a Glasses invite code to spare? My work wants one and doesn't like the idea of eBaying it.

It's from a Feb email, so no clue if it will still work:

NTJB-GCCR-NBYB-HZHR

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
360 already getting trashed by a clueless gal. WSJ broke it's NDA, pulled the video from their site and of course Live Leak posted it immediately thereafter.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f8e_1409882534

Wireless charging confirmed. Cool.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

bull3964 posted:

She says it had to charge twice a day. There's no way that's true.

Yeah, the yearning for the iWatch was dripping from her lips. Whatever. If it's true that it needs two charges to get through a single day, this thing is DOA at any price.

Moto ain't that dumb but biased reporters are.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

IuniusBrutus posted:

How well does Android Wear handle actually interacting with your phone?

I've used a Pebble for a while, and honestly really liked it aside from the styling. In particular, I really enjoyed the ease of flipping through notifications, and easy-to-use Pandora and Google Play Music controls. Does Android Wear handle that well also? Or is it mostly for more passive use?

You see those alerts on your phone? They are now on your wrist.

It's pretty useful I guess if you keep your phone in a bag or something. I honestly find using my phone easier since acting on notifications usually involves, well, using your phone (although some apps allow interaction from the watch itself).

I still don't see Android Wear as a solid use case for me quite yet, round or square. My phone does all I need it to, YMMV.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Damnit. Just waltzed into a Best Buy and bought the last black 360 they had. I don't even want it that much...tempted to flip on Swappa, but that's too much hassle.

Here we go!

Edit: it's got a dead green pixel. Yay!

Edit again: Taking the band off every single night will get old, fast. I know, you do that with any Android Wear watch, but this band is finicky and hard to remove for some reason. If I do keep it, time to find a metal band with a quick release clasp.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 9, 2014

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

You usually sleep with a watch on?

Well touche my friend. I haven't worn a watch in years, so perhaps I didn't think about that...

I haven't been able to touch it because the OTA wouldn't install. Kept saying "charge your device" or something. It's at 90% after 1.5 hrs (was 25% out of the box).

The dead pixel is aggravating from what I noticed earlier. Maybe it's a sign...

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Update. The dead pixel fixed itself...

Just ordered a black pebble steel band. Trip report on Thursday if anyone cares.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

IuniusBrutus posted:

The end links on Pebble Steel bands are proprietary, and will fit poorly, if at all, on a 360.

Damnit. I thought it was a standard 22". Time to cancel.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

eyebeem posted:

I've failed to find a 360 in a best buy enough times to make myself wait for the watch I really want, the LG.

Good job with your limited, terrible launch, moto. That only works when you don't have superior competition about to roll out their products.

Its really not all that great. Screen is lower res, its chunky and large and we all know about the battery life.

I just sold mine on eBay for way too much. People are strange.

The buyer is emailing me to ship NOW!! Its 6am here. Please relax.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/09/ifixit-cracks-open-the-moto-360-finds-smaller-battery-than-advertised/

Oops. We really meant 300mAh...rite guys?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
The Apple Watch is the best thing to happen to the 360 yet.

It's almost like it seems Cook & Co released this today, then tomorrow at 8am, they will F5 the public outrage...then "tweak" the design, begin production of the revised design and drop the price to $299.

Nah, it's Apple we're talking about here. My local news station sent out a text today (I'm signed up for their breaking news) saying "APPLE RELEASES WATCH $349 ON SALE IN A FEW MONTHS!!!1).

WTF. The last text I got from them was some serious poo poo about ISIS (not Softcard...) and terrorism stuff, then the knee-jerk ITS A WATCH!! breaking news!

Kool-aid all around the world. I just don't get it I guess. Simpleton consumerism I suppose. People like shiny.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

Although today I told my wife "I'm coming" and my G Watch R decided to spell it "cumming" instead.
Obviously pulling it from the saved dictionary terms on your phone. An intimate glimpse into your life :newlol:

Sorry if I've missed this, but what was the price for the GwR? I see some for $329 shipped from Asia. I figure if they are $249 in the US, tax will peg it within $50 of the eBay price (of which, I have $29 in eBay bucks, so looking at $11 more to get it now).

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Went to the Microsoft Store today to burn some gift cards on the new band, and of course they are all out. The employees had perma-grins on their face and the place was swarming with people looking for the new band. It felt...weird...seeing that many people in the store (which is usually dead).

Finally, they have a product that's OOS and in high demand. After trying one on, however, it felt like a stiff dog collar on my wrist. Not sure I'm interested any longer, but GPS is a good addition.

Guess Redmond is popping champagne this weekend. They got a runner on their hands if eBay $350+ scalpers are any indication...

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

I'm surprised people care about an MS watch.

I believe you are trolling but its really a Trojan horse for their ~10 sensors~ and Microsoft Health. Its like the Wild West with all the fitness databases and Microsoft is clearly making a play with the fit band and licensing its sensors (thus Microsoft Health) to manufacturers.

I like the MS Health database. You can print out sheet for your doctor to interface with it for medical information. We need a standard for e-health info sharing in the US and the Microsoft band is the first serious crack at getting it into the masses. Make no mistake though, Redmond wants its health platform to be the next Microsoft Office.

Oh and it happens to tell time.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Advice: Put the screen protector on right now. The plastic screen will scratch in milliseconds...

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Pebble steel band is only $19.99

From Pebble direct, it's still $19.99. When the Moto 360 came out, it was $19.99 everywhere (Best Buy, Amazon, etc).

Pebble probably noticed them quickly going out of stock due to 360 owners suddenly wanting them, then they cranked up their production facility and raised the price to $34.99.

Smart or scummy? You decide. I'm sure they are just happy Motorola gifted them with some aftermarket sales.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
So an e-ink color Pebble.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/597507018/pebble-time-awesome-smartwatch-no-compromises

They are...using Kickstarter? I thought Pebble was a...real company? Like big box retailer real?

Guess they cautiously are launching this on Kickstarter because they thought it was going to flop? Hey let the market speak, we count their money first, THEN ship! Brilliant!

The whole thing is kind of strange.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

e-paper, not e-ink.

It is a transflective low power LCD, It is not a kindle type display.

Ok, so like the other two Pebbles before it. So sorry.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

sirbeefalot posted:

Where is this deal?

I don't see metal for that, but the leather ones are $179 at Best Buy today. Black leather is $179 at Amazon.

Kinda tempting, to be honest... but the $239 Costco deal may be better since you could technically return it in 2 years or whatever (it's not part of the 90-day electronic policy because it's considered jewelry). Frame cracking is a common issue so...

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I'm assuming leather, even at $169 (I have $10 rewards) is a bad idea, right? Metal would obviously endure wear/water/sweat better.

Or I could just go the Costco route, pay more for black/black leather and return it if the 360 rev2 comes out soon.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Len posted:

Then Apple announced their watch and now smart watches are cool. But not mine. It's still retarded because it isn't Apple.

Truth. I was constantly ridiculed about my Note 3 and now Now 4. "Lol man what is that thing a cookie sheet? Jeez!"

Those same people (well, two of them anyway) have 6+'s and swear by them. It's the best thing ever. Hmph.

Just wait until Qi is invented.

Anyhow, in order to avoid a serious derail: content time.

The 360 is a great buy at it's current price. I picked up a steel one. I had and sold (shocker) the 360 when it came out. It sucked rear end. Months later, now that I have another one, I have to say Android Wear and the watchface market has come an awful long way. Sure new hardware is welcome, but the 360 at firesale prices is still a fine watch.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Got the 360 today

Well the good news is if you got it at Costco, you can return it tomorrow or 2028 for a full refund. So use away with no concern. It's considered jewelry not electronics so the 90 day policy doesn't apply.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

IuniusBrutus posted:

So, I bought a Charge HR and REALLY liked it...except for one problem: the pedometer is way too sensitive. I spend a significant amount of my day driving in vehicles with horrible suspension, and I found that it would record the various bumps and jostles as steps - a lot of them, enough that the data became totally useless.

Anyone else experience this?

My Microsoft Band registered nearly 6,000 steps on a 6 hour drive last week.

I took like 100 steps from my bedroom to my car, drove, and BOOM. Looked like I ran a 5k when I arrived.

I think they all suck at this.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
So crosspostin from the Android Wear thread. Made a grumpy over there, so maybe you all will love me here:

Oh hey, picked up an S3 Frontier LTE from T-Mo today. It's really nice. It's pretty big (think Mission big).

Sarnsun'g I guess, but I like it. Everything works great with the Pixel, but Samsung Pay is MIA. Funny since it's advertised as functional when paired with a non-Samsung phone. Oops, Sarnsun'g I suppose.

Maybe an update will enable it, maybe I was lied to. Either way, the hardware is nice enough for me to not get bitchy about it being missing.

Sure, I'd love to have googly everything, but it's pretty nice as-is. Having a full cellular connection for runs (sans phone) that can stream audio via BT headphones and make/receive calls and texts is pretty nifty.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Well, i mean...every product has instances of breakage.

100% guaranteed this XDA nerd pried the bezel up with their fingernail, then expressed utter shock when it popped off.

Guess what happens when you do that?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Dali Parton posted:

I'd be sorta shocked too. Fingernails don't grow back do they :barf:

:golfclap:

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Horse Clocks posted:

Is there anything on the market that works well with iOS, and looks nice next to a 'real' watch?

The new Garmin Vivomove HR looks good to me.

It just came out and I think Best Buy had them already. $199

https://explore.garmin.com/en-US/vivo-fitness/

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

I gave up on Android Wear and was thinking of picking one of these up today. How's the GPS mode? I go for hikes regularly and would love to use it to track my routes.

Also does it sync to Google Fit by any chance? If not, is the Garmin data backed up to the cloud or accessible from other apps? Like I enjoyed the Google Fit calendar integration

I have a Fenix 5x, so some won't apply here. What I can tell you, however, is if you are remotely interested in fitness, Garmin is absolutely the only way to go, IMO. Garmin is a fitness device first, smartwatch second. Android Wear is the other way around.

The Garmin Connect app is outstanding. The metrics it has are very comprehensive and very insightful. GPS, at least on the Fenix 5x, is really, really good. Accuracy is a 9/10, hiking, running, whatever. Battery life is ridiculous; I charge it every week or so (and I run daily) and it even measures your heartrate 24x7. Not sure what kind of battery wizardry they have going on, but it's legit.

As for integration, this is where Garmin could do better. Every platform wants to lock your data in (Apple Health, Garmin, Fitbit, S-Health) but I've found using Garmin paired to Strava to be the best for me (running, cycling mainly). I don't think there is any Google Fit integration - at least none that I've seen. That's certainly a bummer but I carry my Pixel 2 XL with me on runs, so it gets counted within Google Fit as well. I'd wager to bet once you start dumping data into Garmin and seeing how the insights help your training goals, you'll be a Garmin fan for life.

I don't miss Android Wear in the slightest. Tizen (Gear S3) is neat, but then you're locked into S-Health. At least Garmin isn't platform hungry. Yes, they will have a lock on your data, but you can move to any platform and keep on trucking. I'm sure there is a data export tool, but I'm so happy with the 5x that I don't care, really.

And yes, Garmin's data is backed up in the cloud. Viewing your data/graphs/stats in the app is really useful and the website is real neato. Shitload of data to comb through that's actually useful and accurate.

Edit: FWIW, I started with a Vivoactive 3 but wanted more out of it (namely better looking and onboard maps) so I got a 5x. The Vivoactive 3 is ~70% what a 5x is and I wholly recommend the Vivoactive 3 for the price. If you hike a lot, you'll probably want the onboard maps, but keep in mind there is a considerable amount of jank with such a small screen. It's useful for hiking and running though. My favorite feature on the 5x is round trip routing. I travel for work a lot and say I'm in an unfamiliar city and I want to go run ~4 miles. I just punch in the desired distance in my 5x and the watch calculates several routes that meet the 4 mile criteria. Hit go and the watch gives you turn indications (along with a map). It's pretty cool to just set it and off you go.

Lastly, a lot of people try the Garmin and return it within a few days, citing "the screen is straight outta 1995. Well, that's the point. It's not an AMOLED nor does it pretend to be. Battery life and utilitarian smartwatch functionality is the primary goal of Garmin watches, and it does these things very well. The screen is super visible in direct sunlight which, as you are mostly using it during outdoor stuff, makes sense. Not having to wake it up or use a battery leeching always on screen (AW, Tizen) is really great. Just glance down and see the info you need, have the backlight come on after sunset when you lift your wrist. Sips power to the point that I forget where I put my charging cable all the time.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 2, 2018

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Wonderful, hotsauce you'll always be my tech weiner buddy. I just picked one up and like it already, the app is extremely slick and I'm impressed. It's super light and extremely comfortable and looks great! Very happy with this.

Thank you for reading my autistic musings and enjoy your new ~timepiece~!

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews/garmin

This guy is basically the authority on Garmin watches. His reviews are very thorough.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Costco is going to have s3 frontier on sale for $180 and I'm considering getting one. Anyone have any experience with them?

It's been (and is currently) $199.97 at all the Costcos by me, indicating it's a clearance item (in the jewelry case). I'd go check vs. waiting on a $19 savings only to find they are out of stock. When a Costco item ends in .97 or .00, it's a dead man walking and can vanish at any time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I wear my Fenix 5x 24/7. It's massive but I'm used to it. Don't even notice it, even while sleeping. YMMV.