Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Whoo! My Pebble finally arrived. I'm a bit surprised by how few watch faces you can download now. I would've thought there would be a few more (I could've sworn I saw more during demos), but I'm sure as more are shipped, more will come. I've missed having a watch, and it doesn't look too bad. I am curious as to how much this will drain my phone's battery since I normally only use bluetooth on the ride to and from work.

The charging port is nice, but no matter how water resistant it is, I'm just too hesitant to let it get close to water.

Edit: Well no wonder. The watchface SDK isn't coming out until April. Makes sense. I see someone already made an app that integrates Tasker support, so that's pretty cool already.

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Spasticthinker posted:

How is the battery life?

Don't know just yet. I've fully charged it overnight last night and will wear it until it stops. I've read estimates of 7 days, though.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Spasticthinker posted:

That's a pretty good amount of battery life for a watch, even 5 days to get through the work week would be great. Years ago (maybe someone else remembers these) I had a Microsoft Smart Watch (it used FM radio to download weather and news), and it would last 6-8 hours at best, so it was poo poo.

Seven days was spot on. I unplugged it from the charger last Friday morning, and it lasted until Thursday at 10 pm. The only catch is that there is no indication of the battery level unless you go into the menu. If you just leave the watchface on, you won't know that you're about to run out. It would be nice if they'd have some sort of adjustable notification for power levels.

Other than that, I really can't complain. It lost the Bluetooth signal a couple of times, but that also might just be my phone being wonky. It's nice to feel the phone ringing in your pocket and a quick glance at your wrist tells you that you can ignore that telemarketer and leave the phone alone.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

PirateDentist posted:

Another Pebble user checking in. :toot: I've had mine for about a month now, I really like it.

I turned off the backlight, since there's no way to disable just the wrist-flick that lights it up, and I got 12 days of battery life before the charging indicator turned on. Now I just charge it once a week and don't think about it otherwise. It's paired up to my Note 2, and works well with it. I leave Bluetooth on all the time since I use my phone with BT headphones a lot. (S305s)

Hopefully the full SDK gets out soon, since it'd be nice to have a bit more functionality, but the watchface one is going to be nice. That one is supposed to be out next week I think. I already have some ideas.

I find myself pulling my phone out WAY less, since I don't have that "oh man, did I miss a message?" feeling. After checking for a week and realizing I already knew and dismissed everything that came in, I started to relax and not check anymore. I KNOW when I get a message, and odds are it's not that important. I dismiss the alert and continue with what I was doing. Hopefully they crack the dismissing phone calls from the watch at some point. I think that's more on the android side of things rather than the Pebble team.

It's nice enough getting call alerts, with it strapped to your wrist it's about impossible to miss, whereas if I'm at a noisy part of work I might not hear my phone ring or even notice the vibration if it's sitting in my pocket wrong.

Do you find that yours loses Bluetooth connectivity with the phone a bit? I'm thinking that my phone's Bluetooth is a bit screwy (I'm running a nightly CM10.1 on my Note) because a reboot will usually reestablish connections.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

hooah posted:

Also looking for a recommendation. The year-old replacement battery on my second-gen Moto 360 is starting to die by mid-evening, and I don't really feel like replacing it again.

I'd like something that looks like a normal dress watch, does notifications, and had at least some level of face customization. I don't care about any fitness/heart tracking.

Currently using the Mi Band 4 with this band from eBay. I turn off the sleep tracking and heartbeat tracking and have been getting 2-3 weeks before I need to recharge. The only downside for me is that there's no faces that can display the weather directly on the face, but plenty of customization for looks.

Only registered members can see post attachments!