Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Uthor posted:

Does this Garmin get notifications? I can't tell from the website.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/582444

It says "smartphone connectivity", but I'm unclear if that just means syncing.

It will mirror notifications from the phone but that feature could be disabled. If you want the barebonest activity tracker I would suggest a withings go or hybrid watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

iospace posted:

I ended up pulling the trigger on an instinct solar. Now my two trackers (watch and bike computer) are all consolidated into one system.

Pros:
- huge battery life.
- always on display
- solar charging

Cons:
- button layout is a bit eh
- huge battery means long charge times on the charger

Neutral:
- no touch screen, only push buttons
- toggle for back light, doesn't auto adjust

Things that exist but don't bother me:
- it's monochrome

e:
added another con.

Can you confirm that the instinct solar has a plastic back? I had to throw my brand new vivoactive3 due to the mother of all rashes with the device "steel" back.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Shibawanko posted:

anyone here have experience using a smartwatch with a nickel allergy? does the sensor trigger it? im looking for one that can keep track of my heartrate and pace and so on but which wont give me a rash without having to cover the back in tape

I never had any nickel allergy rash until i got a vivoactive3 (which triggered massive reactions on me), keeping the metal plate surface and contact area clean and hydrated seems to mitigate it(but i went back to a plastic rear fitness band as it was really painful and unpleasant after all)

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

They seems good, but what I'm mostly interested in is sleep tracking. The Garmin subreddit mentioned this being a weak point, and that Fitbit is better at that. I haven't seen much on the Amazfit's ability. Or am I looking at the wrong devices?

Sleep tracking on garmins is very basic, worse than say Withings or jawbone(rip).
Garmin raison d’etre is sport so if you just need “lifestyle” activities and notification there might be better picks. Also be very wary of garmins with rear metal plate, they are rash magnets if you stick them all day for activity and sleep tracking.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Martytoof posted:

So I’m going to go off script and ask about under-mattress sleep trackers in the wearables thread, mainly because I don’t THINK there’s a better place and the audience MAY be similar. If push comes to shove I’ll feign ignorance and say I was considering a wearable sleep tracker all along :smug: I’m not… I don’t want to wear a watch to bed :(

I’m thinking about getting the Withings under mattress sleep tracker just to start keeping tabs on my sleep cycles. $100-something doesn’t feel terribly outrageous on this little experiment.

My question though, is mainly around folks who use these to track their sleep in a household with pets. My dog sleeps on my bed (and in my regular spot, specifically) and obviously does dog sleep things while I’m working during the day. Now this sounds like a ridiculous question but… Is the system smart enough to know that this isn’t me? The whole thing will be pointless if the app or tracker is like “yeah you sleep like 18 hours a day but you toss and turn a lot”

You need to calibrate the sensor with you on the bed to register your user so, unless your dog weighs as much as you do, you won't get false readings cause of that.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
The only fitness tracker that i've found doing a good job on sleep tracking/all day use was my jawbone up, which did a better job by inertial movement than other hr equipped trackers(apple watch included). Shame they self destroyed after a few months, otherwise they would be perfect.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Takes No Damage posted:

Any general fitness tracker recommendations for '22 or are things largely the same as last year? Looking for Father's Day gifts to replace an aging FitBit.

Not looking for anything super fancy, the primary wants are heart rate and step counter, with water resist being a plus. Should I just look up modern FitBit vs Garmin comparisons? Any phone integration would be Android if it matters.

Garmin vivoactive are a decent "non-sporty" user choice since they have big screens and are designed for normal people. Just avoid the 3 series if you still find it around.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Horse Clocks posted:

My Series 4 Apple Watch’s battery is down to 1-day battery life and I’m looking for a replacement.

I don’t use the fitness tracking, Siri, sleep tracking, or any apps.

I *do* use the notifications functionality. It’s quite literally the only reason I wear it. Using the lovely Apple-designed watch is it’s only other use because it occupies the space on my wrist.

I tried getting my Pebble Time Steel out of storage, but apparently Apple pulled the app from the store 8 months ago and I can’t use that.

Is there anything that just does notifications, works with iOS, and ideally, can be worn with a normal watch?

There are several brands that offer bands with notification copy but keep in mind that you will experience lag and loss of functionality jumping away from the Apple watch family. Miband are a common replacement for "pebble like" functionality.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

FogHelmut posted:

I've had a Vivoactive 3 for 3 years now and it tells time, displays notifications, records activities, has taken a physical beating, and the battery life is still pretty good. It was originally released in 2017 though.

My avoid the vivoactive 3 suggestion is more for the lack of emoji in notification(minor) and the nickel backplate(major). The 4 and newer solve both issues.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

FogHelmut posted:

I don't think their current offerings are much of an upgrade over my Vivoactive 3.

The back is not made by a nickel heavy alloy so you won't get nasty rashes for starters. I dropped out of the garmin ecosystem due to my wrist looking like a cooked off hamburger after using it daily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

zhar posted:

I've never used a smartwatch / fitness tracker before, but I want to try playing with some data in my own program. Not sure if this is the place to ask, but is there a brand that would be good for this?

The ideal would be an open system where I could upload nicely formatted data from the watch to my computer over bluetooth directly.

Next best would be an app that pairs with it that could automatically shunt exported data onto a cloud service like dropbox, ideally without also sending the app author a copy.

Finally I think there is a way to automate health exports using apple health, shortcuts and something like a firebase backend which would at least be compatible with everything. But maybe some are more designed for this kind of thing?

I don't want to spend a massive amount either, no more than £50.

Apple health data can be exported only by an app residing on the phone, there is no backend server. Also there is some extra validation required by apple to be able to access that payload.