Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

DreadCthulhu posted:

Anybody got a favorite vibrato VST they swear by that can be nicely automated?

I just bought this, seems nice tonally. On sale the price is fair I reckon.
Gave it a quick test and did some automation, all the parameters automate (at least in Bitwig) but if you swap the algorythm on either side it clicks. It does this by hand too but whatever. Rest of it seems to automate alright. Can swap between tempo sync and not which I like.

https://www.pluginboutique.com/products/4123-Tube-Modulator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Philthy posted:

Yeah. I thought he was full of poo poo and told him theres no way they would move the older version over to my account. Then he texted me and told me to check and sure as poo poo I've got V Collection 5 on my account and I've been using them since.

I honestly dont think they intended for this but hey

That is cool as hell.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

So could you upgrade for cheap now?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Simone Poodoin posted:

Anyone use XLN XO? Seems really cool but is it worth the price?

Yes and yes but XLN has regular discounts so with a bit of patience you should be able to shave off a few percent of the price.

If you have a large set of samples in a plethora of formats, copy (not move) all .wav single hits in a folder and let XO scan it. It is an infinite drum machine and arranger and every pattern is fresh. Renderin to stems saves CPU and the sequencer is deeply tweakable.

It is really cool and gave me a much needed kick to start making tracks again because beats are not my strongest point.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Cool, thanks. I will keep an eye out for sales.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I played with kontakt and reaktor players to see if I should get komplete 12 select or kontakt 6, and they both seemed really bad. Like, most of the instruments that came with them didn't make me want more, they made me want to use serum or ableton's analogue or vprom or whatever instead

And that's my story about not buying anything during NI's latest sales

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Laserjet 4P posted:

Yes and yes but XLN has regular discounts so with a bit of patience you should be able to shave off a few percent of the price.

If you have a large set of samples in a plethora of formats, copy (not move) all .wav single hits in a folder and let XO scan it. It is an infinite drum machine and arranger and every pattern is fresh. Renderin to stems saves CPU and the sequencer is deeply tweakable.

It is really cool and gave me a much needed kick to start making tracks again because beats are not my strongest point.

Yeah other than having a really clean interface designed by people who are clearly infoviz nerds, it's also really flexible with its routing. So it's easy to, say, route the kick to its own track with separate eq/effects/ driving a ducking compressor. Or you can render patterns to midi and play them back into XO. Or a whole lot of other things.

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

I played with kontakt and reaktor players to see if I should get komplete 12 select or kontakt 6, and they both seemed really bad. Like, most of the instruments that came with them didn't make me want more, they made me want to use serum or ableton's analogue or vprom or whatever instead

And that's my story about not buying anything during NI's latest sales

Heres my NI sale story.

I bought Kontakt 6 this sale, you can cross-grade then get 1/2 off the crossgrade price. Got a rad Kontakt Player library from a developer SoundIron whose approach I love for 40$ and saved a few hundred. Theres a lot of really great organic/live/acoustic instruments and timbres available once you pony up. Primarily because NI makes (or used to, not sure if its still that way) it brutally expensive to make Kontakt Player libraries, so you need to pay the piper to buy the libraries 3rd parties develop and sell.

Some dude making a vibratoed double bass ensemble that you can move from 3-16 players fluidly in real-time using the mod wheel, or the particular type of piano tone that you want, even a piano thats systematically destroyed piece-by-piece and recorded at each step . A (THE) dude with a Stradivarius violin. Or some kind of weirdly specific niche-poo poo. Once I bought Kontakt 6 I bought SoundIron Cacophony, after 20 years recording orchestras and instruments so exhaustively they put all the unusable but worthwhile weird bits in a library, tuning up sounds, ambiences, fuckups. I dig it.

Even at that price its a lot to pay as a multi-sample player so you can purchase multi-samples. But its nice to finally pay the piper. I've bought a lot of Kontakt libraries over the years ;)

Ps. Just hyped, i always dreamt that a sampler meant I could just sample an orchestra. That idea blew my mind, my results were perhaps not orchestral quality. The built-in Kontakt libraries are likely a decent approximation of organic/acoustic instruments, but I suspect its all more appealing when you supersize to the Komplete meal for just a few dollars more.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Kontakt's factory orchestral bank is licensed from VSL, despite the lack of true legato (I believe their Horizon series for Kontakt 2 in 2006 was the first ever example of real-time legato scripting) these are solid samples - extremely dry and malleable. With the factory woodwinds you might get better results than with NI's Symphony Series, which is just a waste of hard drive space (especially for that ridiculous price).

The best reason to upgrade to full Kontakt is being able to binge on all the free poo poo on the internet.

Ruffian Price fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 15, 2020

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Ruffian Price posted:

The best reason to upgrade to full Kontakt is being able to binge on all the free poo poo on the internet.

this is also super true for REAKTOR - the user library is stocked full of emulated retro synths, weird experiments and combinations of the two

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

This reminds me of a story from way back. I got hired to play guitar for a "project" with usher and his mom or something (I can't remember it's been 14 years, this was post "Yeah" 2006 I believe... )

Usher was late to the jam session he postponed and when he got there, I was talking to the engineer about Reaktor plugins and One of the maybe 5 sentences usher said to me was 'Reaktor is tight'

The other sentences were not tight. Usher fired me later upon deciding he didn't want to do the project anymore.

Whatever

Reaktor's tight.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Philthy posted:

Yeah. I thought he was full of poo poo and told him theres no way they would move the older version over to my account. Then he texted me and told me to check and sure as poo poo I've got V Collection 5 on my account and I've been using them since.

I honestly dont think they intended for this but hey

Hey thanks again for this! I just straight up wrote to them and asked if I could give my old license to my nephew but keep my new one. They said yes for V5 but not for V6, since my V7 license is tied to V6 via upgrade. Anyway, long story short said nephew now has V5. Pretty awesome!

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I bought waves l1 and the 1176 comp at 40 percent off (so $30 each) and they gave me a voucher for a free plugin, valid for anything thats $30 with the 40 percent off sale. Any recommendations?

Producing 95% electronic music. I already own the redd Abbey road console emulation too. The Abbey road chamber reverb sounds kinda interesting. Is the waves element synth any good?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I spent a little time with Element and didn't find it did anything spectacular, not a bad synth by any means but there's so many VAs out there. It really depends on what you already have. FlowMotion, the FM synth may be worth a look though I haven't tried it, just to expand the pallette a bit.

In the $30 range:

-H Delay is a very solid workhorse delay that does clean as well as character.
NLS is good for adding some grumpiness to overly polite sounds if you want more 'analogue' in your sound.
Infected Mushroom's Pusher is great all round to liven stuff up, whether on individual sounds or on busses. It's a multiband exciter/clipper/makebigger-er
https://www.waves.com/plugins/infected-mushroom-pusher
MetaFilter is fantastic, loads of options there to be as subtle or as brutal as you want. (assuming like me your DAW has er, lackluster stock filters. Come on Cubase, that's like the one thing you need to sort out now stock plugin-wise)
DBX160 is rude if you want a character compressor

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 17, 2020

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Kramer Master Tape is discounted to $30 as well! I love that loving thing, it adds an amazing crunch to transients when pushed. You can just link output gain to input and treat it like a saturation knob. Fantastic on drums, but not subtle enough IMO to use on actual masters

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ruffian Price posted:

Kramer Master Tape is discounted to $30 as well! I love that loving thing, it adds an amazing crunch to transients when pushed. You can just link output gain to input and treat it like a saturation knob. Fantastic on drums, but not subtle enough IMO to use on actual masters
How does it compare to Ozone Vintage Tape? Because that's what I've been using for a while now in my masters.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Trig Discipline posted:

Hey thanks again for this! I just straight up wrote to them and asked if I could give my old license to my nephew but keep my new one. They said yes for V5 but not for V6, since my V7 license is tied to V6 via upgrade. Anyway, long story short said nephew now has V5. Pretty awesome!

Sweet! Arturia really is a slick company. Now I don't feel so bad.

I mean, I've got a lot of their hardware already, but V Collection is pretty special.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

NonzeroCircle posted:

I spent a little time with Element and didn't find it did anything spectacular, not a bad synth by any means but there's so many VAs out there. It really depends on what you already have. FlowMotion, the FM synth may be worth a look though I haven't tried it, just to expand the pallette a bit.

In the $30 range:

-H Delay is a very solid workhorse delay that does clean as well as character.
NLS is good for adding some grumpiness to overly polite sounds if you want more 'analogue' in your sound.
Infected Mushroom's Pusher is great all round to liven stuff up, whether on individual sounds or on busses. It's a multiband exciter/clipper/makebigger-er
https://www.waves.com/plugins/infected-mushroom-pusher
MetaFilter is fantastic, loads of options there to be as subtle or as brutal as you want. (assuming like me your DAW has er, lackluster stock filters. Come on Cubase, that's like the one thing you need to sort out now stock plugin-wise)
DBX160 is rude if you want a character compressor

Ruffian Price posted:

Yo thanks for the quick replies! I'll get some demos for these and try them out. Metafilter sounds pretty cool, I don't have any creative filters other than talfilter.

I'll try out the Kramer tape too - I have a couple of saturation plug ins but nothing I'm in love with.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Been getting into Orchestral sounds recently.

This ends with me buying Metropolis Ark 1 right?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

This ends with you amassing a collection of expensive one-trick-ponies, and then, as you futilely try to mix them together, trying to fill the gap with ensemble sketching libraries that repeat content you already had :suicide:

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I did the questionnaire thingy for the free BBC Symphony Orchestra on Spitfire's site, interested to see how that is when I get it (there's a 14 day waiting period. Or you can just buy it for £49).

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

NonzeroCircle posted:

I did the questionnaire thingy for the free BBC Symphony Orchestra on Spitfire's site, interested to see how that is when I get it (there's a 14 day waiting period. Or you can just buy it for £49).

Oh dang, thanks for bringing this up! I filled out the survey too. I already have a dozen orchestral libraries but the demo on the website sounds pretty great for a freebie!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Never hurts to have more flavours of strings.
The Free Orchestra by PROJECTSAM (runs in free kontakt player too) has some fun bits as well as useful ones, and Spitfire's own free Labs stuff is something I wish I hadn't overlooked for so long--the snippets from Tundra are great.

I obviously caved and upgraded the Komplete Select I got with Maschine like 2 weeks ago to the standard version and it turns out that Guitar Rig 5 is... A lot better than I remember?! Takes some finessing and isn't as instantly impressive as STL's Tonality series but it's nowhere near as horrid as I remember, and also has probably the most options of any ampsim for utterly removing any trace of guitar from your tone if that's your bag.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I've been an eye out for upgrades on my 7 year old cheap laptop and have just been offered an amazing deal on a new MacBook, like 1/3 of the price. However I've always used Windows and not sure if I should just keep looking for a Windows laptop to ensure all my software works. A few Qs for any mac producers:

It looks like reaper runs natively on Macs now, anyone used it on there?

What's the deal with plugins? My brief googling shows that .vst files are fine but .dll stuff is Windows only. I think most of my paid plug ins will work but I do rely on a lot of older freebies, no bridge or wrapper or anything to get those to work?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

VSTs need to have been compiled for mac. Many have versions for both platforms, but VST is a packaging format - the thing that's packaged needs to be for your operating system.

This also applies to VST3 and p much anything else

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Achmed Jones posted:

VSTs need to have been compiled for mac. Many have versions for both platforms, but VST is a packaging format - the thing that's packaged needs to be for your operating system.

This also applies to VST3 and p much anything else

Doesn't Reaper open VSTs natively?

Edit: nm, I'm probably looking at mac-compiled VSTs. Nothing to see here, move along.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Reaper on macOS has a 1:1 identical interface and preferences menu (as far as I can tell) to the Windows version, so it even mentions "dll files", but yeah, it'll only scan and use .vst packages and Audio Units.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ruffian Price posted:

Reaper on macOS has a 1:1 identical interface and preferences menu (as far as I can tell) to the Windows version, so it even mentions "dll files", but yeah, it'll only scan and use .vst packages and Audio Units.

It wasn't mentioning dll files, but quite literally VST and VST3 instruments from the FX menu. I just assumed that it was handling the conversion, not that I had a bunch of mac-compiled ones, which I apparently do.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
This is a very good thread and I just want everyone to know it. If there is a ML discord or something set up, let me know.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Rusty Kettle posted:

This is a very good thread and I just want everyone to know it. If there is a ML discord or something set up, let me know.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=505960226

I think I'm ok reposting this here. Let me know if not.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
Valhalla Space Modulator is free

https://valhalladsp.com/shop/modulation/valhalla-space-modulator/

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

MASSIVE X sucks, right? It sounds good but that interface sucks and it's slow even on a powerful machine.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

well why not posted:

MASSIVE X sucks, right? It sounds good but that interface sucks and it's slow even on a powerful machine.

I own it and some sound packs and honestly still use Serum a bunch instead.

I don't know if it "sucks" per se, but I'm pretty used to Serum.

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan

Thanks, this thing is awesome!

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Free Vocal effects/compressors until July 19

https://www.loopcloud.com/cloud/blo...gn=stayinspired

coupon code STAYIN

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I wouldn't say Massive X sucks. If you already have/know something like Serum or Pigments (or other bread and butter wavetable synth) there's probably not much incentive to pick it up. If you're looking at individually buying your first bread and butter wavetable synth, Massive X may not be my first choice either. But if you're getting it cheap (e.g. as part of a $99 Komplete 12 upgrade sale) or as part of a new Komplete purchase, it's a powerful tool to have available and a fine alternative to the others for filling that wavetable synth role. I'd agree the interface isn't as intuitive as something like Serum and others, but part of that is it's more modular, and I found it wasn't too hard to pickup as someone who had experience with the original Massive. I think its biggest downside is there isn't nearly as much youtube content for learning Massive X as there is for something like Serum.

PlatinumJukebox
Nov 14, 2011

Uh oh, I think someone just told Hunter what game he's in.
Newbie with a Keylab here, could anyone recommend some good free/cheap drums, especially vintage jazz/funk kits? Can't seem to find what I'm looking for in Ableton's defaults. Also interested in a decent saxophone VST, if anybody knows of one.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I quite like Massive X for sound design purposes rather than the basses and leads I use Massive for. I have come to see it more as a spiritual successor to Absynth and in this role I think it excels, there's some bonkers stuff at at hand.

I think the half baked launch really didn't help it, missing basic poo poo like a manual or visual envelopes. I have only had it a couple weeks so thankfully all the stuff that soured "the community" (aka YouTube) at launch was fixed. It would have fared much better even with the dodgy launch if it wasn't called Massive.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
ADSR is running a summer sale now. Of what's on sale, I have:

Instruments
  • Electrix - Electric piano with a very 70's feel. Not the most versatile, but if that's the sound you want, it's great.
  • Dark Grand Piano - Exactly what it says on the tin. It sounds beautiful. I really like this one.
  • DB33 - Hammond B3 simulator. I've been using this one a lot. It's fun, versatile, and sounds great.
  • Tape Piano - Lofi piano samples mangled by analog effects. This is my go-to loving around instrument.
  • minibit - 8 bit synth. Sounds like an NES and has a powerful wave shaper for extra fun.
  • Hybrid 3 - Extremely powerful, professional synth. Lots of presets, lots of fun, highly recommended.
  • Vacuum Pro - Tube based analog synth simulator. While not as flexible as Hybrid 3, it is still plenty powerful. Just be careful, because this one is LOUD.

Other plugins
  • Rule Tec EQ5M - solid state hardware emulated EQ. I wound up using this one a lot more than I thought I would, and it's become the first thing I throw on any guitar or bass track I record and on any song's drum buss.
  • Creative FX Collection Plus - This is fine if you want a one stop shop for every kind of basic plugin you could need, but I haven't really used these much. I have other plugins that serve these purposes that sound better
  • Analog Pro - I love this one. It's a saturation effect that emulates different kinds of hardware from solid state circuitry to vinyl to VHS tapes. The presets take a little tweaking to sound good, but it adds a lot of character to tracks that need them. I've used this one on my master buss to add some vinyl flavor to a spooky groove I'm working on now.

Anyone else have any recommendations? I'm interested in Super VHS and the AudioThing Springs reverb, specifically if it can get a good, splashy surf sound used on guitars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
SoundSpot is running a 90% off four or more plugins sale now. Union is a solid synth, Kinetik is my go-to guitar compressor, and FireFly is great on drum busses.