Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

They do a Black Friday sale and one in summer I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Thanks, I'll hold off until the summer sale unless my last GME stock goes for a grand tomorrow

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Is there a VST that just simply saves whatever it receives as a wav on disk?
I have found a few, but they are ancient things - some boasting how they now support Windows XP!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The MeldaProduction one seems up to date. It comes in their free bundle.

If your host supports 32 bit vst, the Voxengo recorder should work as well without the need to install any other crap with it.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Perfect!

And there's some simple but handy things in that bundle too - just been having a bit of fun with the tone and noise generators

PlatinumJukebox
Nov 14, 2011

Uh oh, I think someone just told Hunter what game he's in.

prom candy posted:

Is Arturia V collection worth full price? Does it go on sale often? I don't really want all 28 instruments but it seems like a good way to get a lot of retro synths plus some e piano and others

Analog Lab 5, Pigments and most of the instruments included in V Collection just went on sale at PluginBoutique. But not V Collection itself, for some reason.

Has anyone upgraded from Analog Lab 4 to 5? Is it worth it?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Thanks, I'll check that out! I don't really want the whole collection anyway, it just seems like it might be cheaper to go that way

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Anybody have Arturia Spark 2? Is it worth it? Does it offer a lot of utility over just finding samples of the respective drum machines?

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

MockingQuantum posted:

Anybody have Arturia Spark 2? Is it worth it? Does it offer a lot of utility over just finding samples of the respective drum machines?

I find it to be one of the less usable drum machines. The samples it offers are good, and my opinion is mainly around what it takes to build your own kits. The sample browsing is clunky; I prefer the workflow that Battery or Groove Agent offer for kit designing.

I am too lazy to search this up at the moment, but it seems like I remember reading Arturia had licensed their drum samples from UVI- so if you already have one of UVI's BeatBox Anthology sets you might already have the sounds. (I could be misremembering; it has been years.)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I'm working on some blues jams for a project. What's a good (sub-$150 if possible) B3 organ VST?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Arturia B3V is fine

https://www.arturia.com/products/analog-classics/b-3-v/overview

I am sure there is better, however.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'm working on some blues jams for a project. What's a good (sub-$150 if possible) B3 organ VST?

https://sampleson.com/collab3-free-tonewheel-organ.html

Start with Free and see where that gets you.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I use this, but have seen it (and got it) cheaper that the $20 sale price here: https://www.adsrsounds.com/product/software/air-music-tech-db-33-virtual-organ-instrument/

I'm very satisfied with it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

My wallet and dadrock repertoire thank you.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
May have already been said but Plugin Boutique are doing a 'birthday sale' til the end of the month and there are some obnoxiously good deals on there right now. Izotope Trash 2 for a tenner, for example.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Is RC-20 worth $60?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

prom candy posted:

Is RC-20 worth $60?

It's pretty much an industry standard sound colourer at this point.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Anyone have a review of Excalibur?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
No but for that price it looks interesting and worth a punt, other than the iLok requirement.
I always thought iLok hate was hyperbolic until I dealt with it after having reinstalling windows and upgrading my pc. If you can get past that, it's less than a pouch of tobacco or a few pints in a pub at the sale price so if you think you'll use it it can't hurt.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

prom candy posted:

Is RC-20 worth $60?

It's not quite Soundtoys Decapitator but it's that kind of plugin that you always end up using.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

prom candy posted:

Is RC-20 worth $60?

Yes

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This reminds me that I have RC-20 but I really need to use it more, and by more, I mean at all :shobon:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Alright I bought it, thanks for the many votes of confidence!

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Anyone have any tips on scala-friendly software? I've looked around and there are options, some expensive some not, but I was wondering if anyone here has any tips. It's frustrating having things I really like the Arturia collection and being limited in the tuning department, outside of doing something like resampling.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Plugin Alliance is running a coupon code for any plugin outside of a handful for $29.99. Bx_Masterdesk and bx_console N are really nice for that price, with Masterdesk being the last plugin in my mix bus on my standard template. VSM3 is an awesome saturated that I've been using frequently, too.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

ricecult posted:

Anyone have any tips on scala-friendly software? I've looked around and there are options, some expensive some not, but I was wondering if anyone here has any tips. It's frustrating having things I really like the Arturia collection and being limited in the tuning department, outside of doing something like resampling.

You can export for Absynth. Also, if you want to fool around with tunings with different exports, check outhttps://sevish.com/scaleworkshop/, it's a much easier tool for me to use than Scala.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

ricecult posted:

U-he stuff often has scala support, as do AAS products. It comes up in strange places, like Pianoteq supports scala scales and in the latest version even gives you details about which temperament it is, which is pretty nifty.

I thought scala was able to retune midi via pitch bend, either live or on a particular MIDI file? Clearly not ideal, of course...

E: also Arturia Pigments, Madrona Labs plugs, Plogue plugs, Melodyne (bizarrely enough)...

free Trapt CD fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 1, 2021

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010
Bitwig supports importing Scala files into their micro pitch device, if that is any help...

https://www.bitwig.com/learnings/micro-pitch-device-tutorial-15/

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Surge mentions scala support in its manual and is great and free.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
AMEK EQ 200 needs to go on proper sale imo

veepfake
Oct 21, 2005

What's a good reverb VST/AU? Or is the difference between good and bad generally unnoticeable, at least wrt these kinds of plugins

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

veepfake posted:

What's a good reverb VST/AU? Or is the difference between good and bad generally unnoticeable, at least wrt these kinds of plugins

Anything from Valhalla.

And it depends a lot on what your use case is.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

There have been major advances in reverb technology and quality in the last few years, but I still like the free voxengo oldskoolverb for doing what it says on the tin.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Anything from Valhalla.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Are the valhalla verbs that much better than the ableton ones?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Valhalla Shimmer is the best reverb plugin I've ever used and blows Reason's built-in reverbs out of the water, though I'm a huge sucker for that shimmer effect. They have other verbs that would suit you better if you're not.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

prom candy posted:

Are the valhalla verbs that much better than the ableton ones?

Vintage Verb is 100% an industry standard.

(Edit: I recommend VVV, Shimmer and Delay. I can't wrap my head around Room and Ubermod.)

Tayter Swift fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 4, 2021

W424
Oct 21, 2010
Valhalla also has a hella good free reverb, I use it alot more than shimmer.

https://valhalladsp.com/shop/reverb/valhalla-supermassive/

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Vintage Verb.

After that I started using Evantide SP2016 when I got it on sale once. But it's too expensive normally.

Also the Lexicon reverbs were good I seem to recall but might require ilok and cost millions of dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

Native Instruments used to a have a loving amazing one that I'd stick on a laptop and use for stage and it sounded loving amazing. Like, better than Nords monsterishly expensive organs good.

Then they tanked it and replaced it with Kontakt instruments that really dont have the tweakability to give me what I need.