Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Iris 2 is a lot of fun and can be used to make some cool sounds - I wish there were going to be an Iris 3, but alas. A lot of the products Izotope puts on really deep sale are basically abandonware at this point. Very few of those are going to ever get an M1 compatibility update, for example, and if they don't already have resizeable UIs that isn't going to change either. I think some of the newer and currently more expensive Exponential-based reverbs may be getting updates, but not Nimbus, R4, or anything before those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Splinter posted:

I haven't had much opportunity to really dive into Neutron. It looks pretty powerful for getting an acceptable mix quickly, but it also seems like you need to commit to using Neutron on almost every track/bus to really get the most out of it.
This is something I'm a little concerned about. My DAW PC is 6 years old and due for a rebuild (which I probably won't do until GPU prices come back to earth), but I've got 2 recent projects where I had to freeze tracks/channels just in order to be able to play the songs live without glitches, so I'm wary about plugin systems that require inserts all over your projects. (Delved into some of the Slate Digital stuff that worked like that a while back and it really put my system through the ringer.)

Appreciate your perspective on their sales and pricing, too.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

oh yeah izotope has a great dithering algorithm if that’s something you care about. i think it’s built into ozone but i can’t remember

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Soundtoys just announced that 100% of sales for the next four days will go to humanitarian aid for Ukraine. Just in case anyone was hesitating about getting that, and/or about donating to humanitarian aid for Ukraine.

Nothing's on sale now, but I guess you could buy a gift card and wait for a sale?

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010
Or, you know, donate directly to a relief organization like https://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/what-we-do/countries/ukraine or https://www.icrc.org/en/donate/ukraine?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Yes, there's a whole thread for that: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3994478

But this is the VST thread, and folks here generally seem pretty enthused about SoundToys.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
V Collection 8 is 50% off on plugin boutique. I just bought it and now I have like 30 synths that I have no idea how to use.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
V Collection 8 is a good value for the half off price tag if you consider it's about $11 per instrument, but I think learning every one would take months of full time work I just don't have.

Amazing Farfisa, though. I've been getting a lot of use iut of that buzzy little bastard.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I keep eyeing V collection but between Pigments 3.5, Komplete (especially Reaktor and the amazing user library) and Retrologue 2 I really don't need anymore soft synths.
He says, driving his partner and dogs crazy trying to figure out VCV Rack.

I'll probably return to Reaktor with Euroreakt for my software modular fun but VCV is so goddamn pretty and it's a lot of fun playing with the Mutable ('Audible') stuff and doing Leo pointing whenever I find a mode that's on my Microfreak.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

NonzeroCircle posted:

I really don't need anymore soft synths.

I recognize all of these words but I cannot make sense of them in this order.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I had a :filez: version of V Collection that I've been using for a while and it's been essential to the sound of my last several releases, but not all of it works properly (for example: the Mellotron doesn't work at all), maybe because it wasn't a legit install, so I bought this and I'm hoping it'll all work without issue now. I plan on playing with all the new instruments/presets tonight :swoon:

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Ah gently caress, stupid swipe typing.

It put "need" when I meant to say "afford"

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I've recently moved over to the Softube world (I've always been a knobs and hardware things guy, being I spent a decade and a half recording to multitrack tape before finally moving over DAWs somewhat late in the game and still find myself pining for knobs and dials ever since.). I've been using Waves Omnichannel as my workhorse channel strip for 4-5 years, pretty soon after it came out, but it was getting hard to ignore just how crufty it is. It sounds OK, but ugh, its a mess UI wise and it seems to accumulate mud once you've distributed it across a mix.

So I got the softube console 1 and British class A and THAT thing really does sound like the hardware I grew up on but better in all the ways that count. Its just clean, has a nice neve-ish warmth (Which works well with my rack of golden age pre's , as the instruments plugins can kinda be coherced into sounding like they where "recorded" on the same hardware as my mics and DI boxes) things work the way I expect them to.

I'm told the American class A might be even better sounding.

The problem is , 40-50 tracks of this stuff really chugs the gently caress out of my PC (year old laptop w/ modern AMD laptop ryzen, 32gigs ram, all on internal SSDs). So I'm thinking I gotta accelerate this stuff because I'm not actually sure how combine Console 1's workflow with track freezing (It needs a plugin on each channel).

So I'm told UAD and Softube work together pretty well and the Console one recognizes UADs plugins and works with them. The question I have is, if I move across to something like the UAD Sattelite 2, I really cant afford to buy into the Apollos yet, $$$$$, on USB-C (Alas, AMD laptop dont do thunderbolt) can the Sattelites run the core Console one plugins? I cant seem to get a straight answer on whether I'd need to repurchase the plugins, if I can cross-grade, or if I'd be poo poo out of luck.

Man it'd be good if Antelope Audio and Softube got together. Those actually I really can afford, and I'm told Antelope have corrected from their previous course of fuckery quite well.

Anyone got insight here?

duck monster fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Mar 10, 2022

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I don't have any experience with UAD, but are you using groups for your mixing?
I often use stock/lighter stuff on my individual channels then group them down and use the more CPU intensive things on my group channels.
I also will render stuff down when I'm fairly happy with it so I don't have a bunch of, say, ampsims, chewing things up.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

NonzeroCircle posted:

I don't have any experience with UAD, but are you using groups for your mixing?
I often use stock/lighter stuff on my individual channels then group them down and use the more CPU intensive things on my group channels.
I also will render stuff down when I'm fairly happy with it so I don't have a bunch of, say, ampsims, chewing things up.

Yeah I do. Especially if Reverbs are involved. But the whole concept with the Console one is you put the plugin on *every* channel, and it handles groups and stuff like that for you from the hardware.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I've collected a lot of amp sims, but Audio Assault's Shibalba has blown me away, clean, breakup, and full bore.

Their other amp sims range from "not impressive" to "fine, but not my thing," and their other plugins, especially Headcrusher and XTCR, are really good for the price, but hard struck chords on single coils through Shibalba just at the edge of breakup sounds goddamn great.

https://audioassault.mx/collections/plugins/products/shibalba

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I was not impressed by a bunch of their amp sims and then VVV and their AHM 5150III sim that changes color schemes when you adjust the tubes both showed me they can do a better thing than before. I bet the new one is nice, great prices on them.

Nembrini's newer Hivolt and recently released Faceman are keen, great CPU usage and very nice sounding sims for fans of amp modelers.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 21, 2022

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

OutOfPrint posted:

I've collected a lot of amp sims, but Audio Assault's Shibalba has blown me away, clean, breakup, and full bore.

Their other amp sims range from "not impressive" to "fine, but not my thing," and their other plugins, especially Headcrusher and XTCR, are really good for the price, but hard struck chords on single coils through Shibalba just at the edge of breakup sounds goddamn great.

https://audioassault.mx/collections/plugins/products/shibalba

Why did they name it after the star wars episode 1 pod racing guy though

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I thought his name was loosely inspired by the Mayan Xibalba, which, I would imagine is probably also the inspiration for this amp name, since it's pronounced the same & given that Audio Assault are devs based in Mexico

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Korg is releasing the Opsix and Wavestate as VSTs:
https://youtu.be/GZuIwbjhHaM

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Tayter Swift posted:

Got all excited, then I saw the price and noped the gently caress out.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

just learned from a throwaway comment in the last red means recording video that noise engineering has vst versions of some of their stuff which is very cool because they’re one of the reasons i wanna get into eurorack

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
The 3 noise engineering modes on my Microfreak get as much playtime as everything else combined. That Bass voice with the noise is fascinating, especially for... leads.

Technically a VST so it counts for this thread:
The new modulated multi fx unit in Cubase 12 is the absolute bomb. Its basically a bunch of the Cubase stock effects sellotaped to Xfer's LFO Tool, each module gets its own discrete LFO curve and timing so if you want a 16th note looping pseudo-S&H step sequenced bandpass filter going into a bitcrusher that slowly reduces bit rate over 8bars whilst a delay's repeats get faster and faster, you can do that now. And midi note triggerable too.
Or you know, finally just have a time synced lfo on your filter like everything else has had for a decade.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

NonzeroCircle posted:

The 3 noise engineering modes on my Microfreak get as much playtime as everything else combined. That Bass voice with the noise is fascinating, especially for... leads.

Technically a VST so it counts for this thread:
The new modulated multi fx unit in Cubase 12 is the absolute bomb. Its basically a bunch of the Cubase stock effects sellotaped to Xfer's LFO Tool, each module gets its own discrete LFO curve and timing so if you want a 16th note looping pseudo-S&H step sequenced bandpass filter going into a bitcrusher that slowly reduces bit rate over 8bars whilst a delay's repeats get faster and faster, you can do that now. And midi note triggerable too.
Or you know, finally just have a time synced lfo on your filter like everything else has had for a decade.

Oh man -- that reminds me I still need to play around with that in my copy of Artist 12. I know what I'm doing this weekend.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Tayter Swift posted:

I tried the demos of both. They're pretty nice, but a 20 minute limit wasn't long enough to actually dig through settings. Also something about the opsix ui feels unfinished

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

is there anything out there that's like, distributed packs of unprocessed tracks?

i want to try mixing a song

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

landgrabber posted:

is there anything out there that's like, distributed packs of unprocessed tracks?

i want to try mixing a song

I came across this yesterday https://kinggizzardandthelizardwizard.com/bootlegger - aside from all the live stuff, Polygondwanaland might be useful to you.

Lore Crimes
Jul 22, 2007

Arturia appears to be sending around emails to pigments users offering V Collection 8 for $149, so heads up on that.

Tempting, but really missing the inclusion of the sq-80 which I'm assuming will make it into 9. Based on people's past experiences, likely to come out on top or even with a later sale on upgrade price? Or are the good deals mostly just for new people. I know it is insane to be hung up on this considering the number of synths in there but all the same...

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Lore Crimes posted:

Arturia appears to be sending around emails to pigments users offering V Collection 8 for $149, so heads up on that.

Tempting, but really missing the inclusion of the sq-80 which I'm assuming will make it into 9. Based on people's past experiences, likely to come out on top or even with a later sale on upgrade price? Or are the good deals mostly just for new people. I know it is insane to be hung up on this considering the number of synths in there but all the same...

I’ve bought stuff outside the current collection and it has allways been reflected on the upgrade pricing.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Ah gently caress I accidentally logged into my Arturia account then somehow added V Collection at the discounted price to my basket and then purely by fluke paid for it by logging into PayPal.

What a comedy of errors.
What a buffon I am.

... Do I have to go to work tomorrow?
Might call in synth.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I think I'm going to buy EZ Keys since it's on sell, and try recording one of my things I wrote in guitar pro a long time ago. It basically has piano, strings, bass, guitar and drums. it's basically my younger selfs idea of a melodeath song sort of in roughly this style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_H_TqGdgh4

Anyway, two questions. There are several different versions of EZkeys. From what I've seen, Studio Grand seems to probably a good choice, do you guys agree or should I try going with another one for my purposes?

Secondly, I don't want to spend any more money on vsts for a bit, are there any decent free(Or even cheap would be fine, if it was like 30 or so bucks) vsts that can do strings and/or synthy kind of sounds like you might hear in symphonic death metal? It probably doesn't need to be or sound super fancy, as it's just some light background noise in my song to fill it out a bit.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Secondly, I don't want to spend any more money on vsts for a bit, are there any decent free(Or even cheap would be fine, if it was like 30 or so bucks) vsts that can do strings and/or synthy kind of sounds like you might hear in symphonic death metal? It probably doesn't need to be or sound super fancy, as it's just some light background noise in my song to fill it out a bit.

Spitfire labs has a few free things that could fit (and lots of high quality stuff in general). They also have the BBC orchestra discovery that you can get for free or very cheap. I paid for it and don't regret it - basic, high quality sampling of standard orchestra instruments.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

havelock posted:

Spitfire labs has a few free things that could fit (and lots of high quality stuff in general). They also have the BBC orchestra discovery that you can get for free or very cheap. I paid for it and don't regret it - basic, high quality sampling of standard orchestra instruments.

That sounds great. I'm not even sure exactly what instrument I'd want for that. When I wrote it in guitar pro way back, I think I just picked one of the "strings" options for the midi and went with that. I can just record the other stuff first and swap stuff around until I find something that sounds cool with the rest of it.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Do you mean like the (and I use this term incredibly lovingly) cheesy, arch, very obviously keyboard strings like in late 90s-early 00s Dimmu Borgir, Children of Bodom, Cradle of Filth etc?
Any kind of generic sampled "general midi" strings will get you most of the way there, it's more about the processing and way they are played.

What DAW are you using?
it'll likely have something suitable already included. Adding some chorus and reverb/delay will make a big difference and get you closer, and don't be afraid to cut the low eq a bit. Don't worry too much about velocities and 'realistic' dynamics, just hammer the gently caress out of them. So not dissimilar to how the guitars are, really.

Spitfire LABS is free and has all sorts of stuff pruned from their mega expensive pro libraries, including some nice basic string ensemble patches. Tbh fantastic though these are, they may even be a bit TOO good for the style

Edit: fffcuk beaten on the LABS rec!

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

NonzeroCircle posted:

Do you mean like the (and I use this term incredibly lovingly) cheesy, arch, very obviously keyboard strings like in late 90s-early 00s Dimmu Borgir, Children of Bodom, Cradle of Filth etc?
Any kind of generic sampled "general midi" strings will get you most of the way there, it's more about the processing and way they are played.

What DAW are you using?
it'll likely have something suitable already included. Adding some chorus and reverb/delay will make a big difference and get you closer, and don't be afraid to cut the low eq a bit. Don't worry too much about velocities and 'realistic' dynamics, just hammer the gently caress out of them. So not dissimilar to how the guitars are, really.

Spitfire LABS is free and has all sorts of stuff pruned from their mega expensive pro libraries, including some nice basic string ensemble patches. Tbh fantastic though these are, they may even be a bit TOO good for the style

Edit: fffcuk beaten on the LABS rec!

Haha, hell yeah. At least that's absolutely what I had in mind back when I wrote it I'm sure. However, like I said, I can experiment around. It's mostly just root droning in the background with the piano doing most of the melody until the "heavy" part kicks in after a couple minutes.

What do you mean by general midi strings? Like what guitar pro already uses to play back?

Also from what I understand, most of the EZ keys come with some different presets, it's not just a grand piano, so it might even have a sound like that I could use.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 23, 2022

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Drunk Driver Dad, I've never thought to look that stuff up despite it being so dear to me and I'm now in a big Google hole.

The answer appears to be 'Korg Triton or other sampled workstation' so yeah, pretty much anything will do the job, and now I'm gonna spend the first few hours of V Collection futzing with the EMU.

If you do find yourself stuck at any point with either drums or keys then feel free to ask

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

NonzeroCircle posted:

Drunk Driver Dad, I've never thought to look that stuff up despite it being so dear to me and I'm now in a big Google hole.

The answer appears to be 'Korg Triton or other sampled workstation' so yeah, pretty much anything will do the job, and now I'm gonna spend the first few hours of V Collection futzing with the EMU.

If you do find yourself stuck at any point with either drums or keys then feel free to ask

Awesome, thanks. I'll mess around with it when I'm off this weekend and report in. I might export the guitar pro file as a .wav and post here so you can actually hear what I wrote, but it will be embarrassing like you'd expect a very high 20 year old heavily into those bands to write. But it's near and dear to my heart too and it would be cool to try to record it now that I have the stuff to do so.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 23, 2022

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
https://www.midi.org/specifications-old/item/gm-level-1-sound-set

General Midi is a specific set of sounds and I guarantee looking at this list of sounds will teleport you back to middle school music lessons!m and the lovely keyboards.

The Korg Tritons and similar workstations/ROMplers were effectively this but a bit more updated (very simplified explanation). The Triton's M1 Organ sound, for example, you have heard 8 billion times. 4 billion of those times were probably Kylie Minogue's "Can't get you out of my head".

There are many sample libraries of it floating around the net, but any "workhorse" kinda thing will do it. For example, Halion SE which is included free in all versions of Cubase has the full GM soundset as well as a lot of updated/more detailed versions. I could pick any strings patch in there and be 80% of the way there-the less dynamics and realism, the closer you'll be.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Welp I bought 31 synths from Arturia to basically exclusively gently caress around with Wurlitzer and E-piano sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.
Am I the only one who opted for Analog Lab V over the V Collection? My very first VST experience was a privateered copy of MiniMoog V back in like 2006 or something, and while that was a great way to learn about synthesis and cultivate a deep love of the MiniMoog, I much preferred quick access to presets and then adjusting them to suit my needs. Analog Lab has given me a lot of the same freedom, but even more focused than back in the day. So far I haven't felt limited at all, but I haven't been recording stuff with a poo poo-ton of synths or keyboards yet either. I pay for all my software now, btw haha.

While I'm here, I've recently started getting into mixing my own recordings and adding plugins from Waves, Analog Obsession and Plugin Alliance to my collection (I use Cakewalk btw), and I could use some guidance.

I've basically embraced mixing in the box with the idea of trying to replicate the sound of recording through a bunch of classic hardware gear that I have no room/budget for. I particularly like the sounds of stuff done on the gear at Sound City and Sunset Sound. So on most of my tracks I've got a couple flavors of 1076, LA-2A, and Maag EQ4 running through Lindell 80 Series channel strips and busses, a bit of Arturia Plate-76 reverb, and the bx_Townhouse compressor and J37 Abbey Road tape saturation on my mix bus. I'm really happy with the sounds I'm getting so far, but I'm wondering if this is a crazy way to apply plugins. Anything else I should try adding/removing to get closer to the sound I'm after?

Would it be crazy to add the Amek EQ 200 and the Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor on the Master bus on top of everything else I'm using?

Thanks so much!