Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Agreed posted:

I am concerned, especially since Native and Izotope originally had their previous CEOs still but they have since been moved and now Mark Cattini acts as CEO for both companies on a "unified executive board." Mark Cattini is a CEO who has presided over companies prior to major sales in mergers and acquisitions before numerous times.

My primary concern is that NI (and all the others) will now switch to pure survival/maintenance mode, considering the nature of this consolidation. I can't speak for the others, but the NI acquisition was a leveraged buyout: https://www.crunchbase.com/acquisition/francisco-partners-acquires-native-instruments--72302143

This means that NI now has to pay back their current owners for their own purchase. Most companies in this situation stop all R&D, cancel expensive projects, lay off staff, shut down less-profitable product lines or divisions, and just try to coast on their current offerings for as long as they can. They become mere piggy banks for their holding firm.

I probably already mentioned the inMusic Brands fiasco. Every one of those brands is a shadow of its former self (Akai, Air, Alesis, hell, even M-Audio and Denon). I was genuinely shocked when Air released those new plugins recently (but not at all surprised by the issues people had buying/activating them).

I'm a long-time NI (and recent Izotope) user. I want those firms to succeed. But I'm skeptical. And I still am not at the point where I will subscribe for access to software, in the event they ever go to a subscription-only model. I'm a legit owner of Adobe CS4, but it's the last Adobe product I will ever use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Radiapathy posted:

My primary concern is that NI (and all the others) will now switch to pure survival/maintenance mode, considering the nature of this consolidation. I can't speak for the others, but the NI acquisition was a leveraged buyout: https://www.crunchbase.com/acquisition/francisco-partners-acquires-native-instruments--72302143

This means that NI now has to pay back their current owners for their own purchase. Most companies in this situation stop all R&D, cancel expensive projects, lay off staff, shut down less-profitable product lines or divisions, and just try to coast on their current offerings for as long as they can. They become mere piggy banks for their holding firm.

I probably already mentioned the inMusic Brands fiasco. Every one of those brands is a shadow of its former self (Akai, Air, Alesis, hell, even M-Audio and Denon). I was genuinely shocked when Air released those new plugins recently (but not at all surprised by the issues people had buying/activating them).

I'm a long-time NI (and recent Izotope) user. I want those firms to succeed. But I'm skeptical. And I still am not at the point where I will subscribe for access to software, in the event they ever go to a subscription-only model. I'm a legit owner of Adobe CS4, but it's the last Adobe product I will ever use.

For the record, I'm still waiting for AIR to acknowledge my issue registering TubeSynth. Customer service at ADSR Sounds has been great through the process and is hounding them more than I have, which is nice, but this is a loving mess.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
For anyone that got the plugin alliance bundle, I am having enormous fun slowly automating the pentode and triode controls over time on the Black Box HG2, between the pair of them you get almost a filterish effect when it's cranked and put on a chunky bass sound.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Has anyone screwed around with NI Playbox? It looks neat and is discounted right now.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Playbox is gonna be the sound of 2022 imo, legit cried first messing with it

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Ruffian Price posted:

Playbox is gonna be the sound of 2022 imo, legit cried first messing with it

I saw RMR's video on sampling it into Oktatrack and I just got a Digitakt and I'm reeeeeeally tempted. The sounds he was getting from the presets alone sounded incredible.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

You'll quickly grok how to use it more like a processing tool for your tonal oneshots, so consider sampling into Playbox instead :v: Root notes get auto recognized so it's pretty quick putting a combo together, hitting Spread to get it on all chords and trying out different effects chains.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Help, I bought the V Collection from Plugin Boutique last month, my first purchase from them, and now I get regular emails from them showing off sick plugins and I want to buy all of them but I don't really have the money :shepspends:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
If you think you don't have the money now, wait til you see how little money you have after you spend the money you don't have on it!

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Plugin Alliance just raised their minimum prices for all voucher types such that now, to use each voucher, you have to be spending a minimum of $50 cash in the purchase. Dirk is defending the move on Facebook noting that future deals will be so good that people may not even need vouchers, users are very split in reactions with many responding quite negatively as you might imagine, and others calling those users greedy or entitled and making exaggerated claims about what customers must be expecting.

For reference, to get a $75 voucher you have to have spent $600 with Plugin Alliance in the last six months. People calling folks who have spent that much with PA "greedy" for being concerned about a twice-as-much minimum price to use vouchers can kiss my rear end, speaking just for myself of course.

Minimum spends:

$25 "generic" voucher requires $75 in cart
$50 personal loyalty voucher requires $100 in cart
$75 personal loyalty voucher requires $125 in cart

Dirk himself has asked that users "show some faith here" and noted that some of those promised deals are coming as soon as today. I'm considering how I will engage with PA's sales model going forward, as a $75 voucher recipient for some time now. I may switch to doing MEGA subscription and trying to get best value from it around sale time, which would represent a serious increase in cost per plugin but also ensure that I have access to the whole kit... I may consider doing Forever 29 to pay $30.99 per plugin for new releases that I evaluate and actually like. It depends on the quality of the plugins to come, and what deals materialize.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 2, 2022

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
If someone is interested, if you pay the 79 dollars for my EZ Drummer 3 upgrade, I'll transfer you my Archetype: Nolly license. The transfer fee is 25 dollars, and above board. So you'd pay about 105 total US for Nolly. The price on Neural's site is about 168. I'll transfer the license first as a show of good faith. Wasn't sure if this should in the gear trade thread, there is technically no physical gear being sent out, and it's all VST stuff anyway. I'll remove the post if not allowed.

https://support.neuraldsp.com/help/can-i-sell-my-licenses#:~:text=Yes%2C%20you%20can.,90%20days%20from%20purchase%20only.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

Agreed posted:

Plugin Alliance just raised their minimum prices for all voucher types...

Well poo poo. I don't love that, though I haven't been able to use a voucher from them as of yet. At first I jut got a few things from them during the holiday sale, but for about a month now I've been subscribed to the Mix & Master bundle for access to everything else I'm interested in and seeing how it goes. So far I'm satisfied but I realize not everyone is in the same boat.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Forever 29 is good, I just used it to get Lisa. Badass EQ, previously would have waited months to try to get it with a voucher but now anyone can immediately. Times they are a changin'.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Really good deal on Plugin Boutique (and NI, PA etc - it's a SoundWide thing) right now:

https://www.pluginboutique.com/products/9033

iZotope RX Elements
iZotope Ozone Elements
iZotope Neutron Elements
iZotope Nectar Elements
iZotope Trash 2
iZotope VocalSynth 2
iZotope R4 by Exponential Audio (Exponential Audio)
iZotope NIMBUS by Exponential Audio (Exponential Audio)
Native Instruments MASSIVE
Brainworx bx_digital V3
Brainworx bx_subsynth
Brainworx bx_console N
Brainworx bx_stereomaker
Brainworx bx_delay 2500
Native Instruments GUITAR RIG 6 LE

for £45!

I've got a good chunk of these already, but VocalSynth 2 never seems to get a really big discount so it's almost worth it just for that.

DaWolfey fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 6, 2022

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Vocalsynth2 is so cool, and not just on vocals either, it's a V good general sound processing tool especially on drums and pads

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Yeah a lot of that stuff is often given out for free, but VocalSynth 2 alone for that price is worth it. Massive is solid and has tons of learning content/patches available if you don't already have it. It looks like the LE version of GR6 it comes with still might have the new amp models too (since it shows "Chicago" in the promo pic), which is also pretty good if you don' already have a decent amp sim plugin. GR in general is also good as a general effects unit (like on a synth), not just for guitar DI, though I'm not sure how much control over things you have with the LE version. Regardless, this is a good deal if Vocal Synth is something you want.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Arturia's V9 collection just dropped if you haven't heard. Augmented Strings/Voices to follow up on the test feeler freebie they had a couple weeks ago, a new MS-20 (licensed together with Korg, wtf), revamped CS-80, Prophet 5 and VS, and Piano. Oh and the SQ-80 they released a while ago.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tayter Swift posted:

Arturia's V9 collection just dropped if you haven't heard. Augmented Strings/Voices to follow up on the test feeler freebie they had a couple weeks ago, a new MS-20 (licensed together with Korg, wtf), revamped CS-80, Prophet 5 and VS, and Piano. Oh and the SQ-80 they released a while ago.
I literally just bought V Collection 8 a couple months ago, so when I got the email from Plugin Boutique about it yesterday and saw there was no upgrade path, I was pretty disappointed :negative:

I don't have another $500 to drop on it now and I really want to play with that MS-20. Oh well.

That same email from Plugin Boutique introduced me to Baby Audio's Super VHS effect, which I ended up buying for like $25 (after Virtual Cash). I'm having a lot of fun playing around with it, especially its Drift knob. I haven't made a track with it yet, but I can see all sorts of applications for tracks in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtQPRKvHiNw

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Go to Arturia's website directly, there is a discount for V8 owners. €199

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

DaWolfey posted:

Go to Arturia's website directly, there is a discount for V8 owners. €199
Oh poo poo, niiiiiiiiiiice! I'll have to keep that in mind for when I have money, which is not now!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

If you have the SQ-80 it drops to 149

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Plugin Alliance has indeed made tons of plugins available since the loyalty voucher change, including some last-year releases, for $24.99 and under. Lowest have been $9.99, and they may still have Tantra 2 for $19.99 which is a really fun texturizer plugin that syncs to your project tempo. I think the days of $24.99 for a new release are gone forever, but $31 isn't an insane increase to that (and some of the higher tier plugins wouldn't reach the $24.99 inflection point for months after release, too, whereas Forever 29 is immediate).

To be clear I got Tantra 2 along with EOS2 by Audio Damage which was also on sale at the same time through the PA_ext store for a hair under $25 for BOTH of 'em last year... I'll miss that kind of thing. But I feel like I was probably a little premature to think that they'd raised the ante quite as much as it seemed with the loyalty changes.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

I saw on Arturia's insta people complaining about just having bought 8 and they said to email support for an upgrade, seems like they are trying to do people right. Not sure what the window is, but worth a shot.

I want 9, but I was really hoping they would include microtonal capabilities on more synths. I know some were updated to support scala, but I really want a good microtonal piano sound.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

ricecult posted:

I saw on Arturia's insta people complaining about just having bought 8 and they said to email support for an upgrade, seems like they are trying to do people right. Not sure what the window is, but worth a shot.

I want 9, but I was really hoping they would include microtonal capabilities on more synths. I know some were updated to support scala, but I really want a good microtonal piano sound.

I was ready to be all up in arms about having just bought 8, read this and thought about emailing them, then realized I bought it like, 6 months ago... I think I've barely used the new synths since then, whoops!

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Rageaholic posted:

Oh poo poo, niiiiiiiiiiice! I'll have to keep that in mind for when I have money, which is not now!
Just wait, you'll get upgrade offers for $100 when they run sales.

9 seems pretty underwhelming, but I'm still on 7, so if the upgrade price for me ever drops to $100 maybe it'll be worth it. My upgrade price right now is $300 which is insane.

Rageaholic posted:

I don't have another $500 to drop on it now and I really want to play with that MS-20. Oh well.
If you have an iPad, Korg has a MS-20 app that's pretty drat good. Pretty sure it's the same sound engine that they use on their MS-20 VST. It's $30 but they sale it down to $15-20 pretty regularly.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

ricecult posted:

I really want a good microtonal piano sound.

Have you had a look at pianoteq?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

for fucks sake posted:

Have you had a look at pianoteq?

Yeah, it can do anything piano-related. I believe you can tune every note.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

I'm going to have to try that out! More than I was looking to pay (Arturia I would have less hesitation with all the other synths/updates), but it's something I've been itching to do for a while now.

I still just don't get why more developers don't include microtonal options, I know it's a nitch thing, maybe it's hard to implement?

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Bitwig (and i think Ableton too now) has a microtuning midi effect so you can use your own scales on pretty much anything.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.
I think summer sales are about to hit. Anything anyone is planning on picking up or that you recommend getting? I’m looking to pick up Komplete (almost entirely for Kontakt).

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Tempted by the new release of PhasePlant, but man I already have twenty softsynths I've barely learned to use.

This is the time of year when I normally upgrade Komplete but I'm not sure there's all that much in the newest version to entice me.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Vital is free and that's all I need. :colbert:

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
Today someone in a Cubase Facebook group posted about guitar plugins by a company I never heard of before: ujam

I have been using MusicLab guitars for many years, and I probably don't scratch the surface of them. I put them in the mode where I pick the notes to play (vs. auto chords) and I control the strumming with keyswitches.

But I've got to say these ujam guitar plugs look and sound pretty drat nice. Anyone here have experience with them? I'm personally interested in the guitar series but they have synths, drums, symphonic stuff. How have I never heard of them before?

I have tried guitar plugs/libraries by Native Instruments and Orange Tree Samples, but in both those cases they really kind of enforce the chords/voicing in a way I found limiting.

Anyway, anyone here have experience with the ujam plugs? I see they have a trial program, and might check that out. Just looking for some general feelings on their stuff.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

ujam is the same people who used to make Virtual Guitarist. They've already did a bunch of flash sales and I got some funk guitar out of one, but there's no DI option in the amp selector so I've never used it in context :v: the pick transient can be scaled from needlessly aggressive to mix-ruining

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Trig Discipline posted:

Tempted by the new release of PhasePlant, but man I already have twenty softsynths I've barely learned to use.

This is the time of year when I normally upgrade Komplete but I'm not sure there's all that much in the newest version to entice me.

phase plant is my desert island synth. it’s the only synth i will proselytize about. and it just recently got a free update that opens up a whole lot of generative options for it. it’s just a supremely fun and powerful synth

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Phase Plant owns.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Well drat, maybe I'll get a subscription and see if I actually end up using it.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.
I’ve been installing a lot of the free instruments from LABS by Spitfire. Some pretty great sounding stuff in there.

I wish TAL UNO 62 would go on sale but I don’t think it ever does, and since the Juno is one of my all time favorites I might as well invest the $60 in it, right? RIGHT?!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
LABS is an amazing resource, I use Soft Piano all the drat time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Tal Uno is my second favorite synth after Serum.