Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

keyframe posted:

I like Tremor a lot but holy poo poo it is a CPU hog.

This.
I loved it, and it popped up (at 50% even!) right when I was looking for a VST drumsynth. Unfortunately, my CPU couldn't handle it (Core 2 Quad, from around 2006-ish) so I ended up not buying it after all. Once I can scrape up enough money I'm buying a new CPU, and after that I'm definitely getting Tremor! Like Synth Squad (my favourite synths ever), it's easy to use, powerful and sounds absolutely great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've had these Korg legacy VSTs for some time now:

Polysix, MS-20 and Wavestation.
Their interfaces are terrible (and too small for me, I have problems reading what's on the knobs), but they sound good. My question is this: are they proper recreations or their physical counterparts?
The Wavestation in particular caught my attention because it's so unlike the other synths I have used. Are there any good resources on these synths? Also looking for opinions on the VSTs themselves.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
For those of you who still hasn't checked out TAL-NoiseMaker, it's the gnarliest VST I've ever come across. Combined with TAL-Bitcrusher it's pretty much the best thing since sliced bread!

It has a huge potential for nasty, lo-fi "robots are destroying the world"-kind-of-sounds. It can still make quite pleasant Juno-type sounds as well, though!
It's completely free and has some really interesting features such as an envelope editor where you can draw you own envelopes (pen-tool style).

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

LordPants posted:

What's the verdict on this thing? Worth it? Is it mostly limited to Dub step wubs and such or what?

I don't have it, but if anything is limited to dubstep wubs or whatever it's only the presets. No synth is "limited" to any one sound or genre, in fact, that would make a reaaaally lovely synth. Synths are wonderful that way.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This is why you should take care what plugins you buy. Seriously, as a programmer and general computer guy the DRM-hell that is VST's hurts my brain. It's a similar issue to what's going on with games these days, but unlike gamers we don't really have a lot of tech-savvy people to call the companies out on their bullshit.

Easiest way to be able to actually use the plugins you bought, wherever you might need them..? Pirate them :yum:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

A Winner is Jew posted:

So I just got an email about a new VST wavetable synth with some fun things like drawing/importing your own waves on it's built in wavetable editor.

http://www.xferrecords.com/products/serum

Haven't listened to demo's yet since I'm on a jobsite but it looks interesting.

What is "restricted to 20 minutes of use per operation" supposed to mean? :confused:
I'll be checking it out though, I'm a sucker for wavetables.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Oldstench posted:

It stops working after 20 minutes. You also can't save any patches.

The way they did it is actually pretty neat! Each instance you load up lasts 20 min, after which it'll quietly shut off. The rest of your instances (if you have any) will still continue until they too reach 20 min.

It's a super neat synth, but so expensive :negative:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Oh, sweet! A genuine analog modular synth for only 4€? :aaa:

e: wait a second this is a vst, you lied to me XILS

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BKPR posted:

Asked on KVR and got nothing, so maybe some of you folks know: I want to test some of my effects, get some concrete data on their character. What would you guys recommend doing for this? My first thought was just running a sine wave or white noise through, depending. Aside from seeing the shape of a filter though, I'm not sure how to read useful info from that. Christian Budde has a tool for this kinda thing, but it only works with 32-bit plugins so it's no use to me.

I think the main problem here is the bolded part. "Character" isn't really something you can objectively measure. With a bit of math you can quite easily see what any plugin adds or subtracts to your initial waveform, but whether that change is positive/negative or fattening/thinning etc. is purely subjective and honestly hard to put into numbers. I suppose it depends on what you wish to measure? Added/removed frequencies? Phase differences?

I'm interested in the plugin you're talking about, though I couldn't find it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

0dB posted:

One guy I know was given an upgrade from V3 to V4 for $99. Thing is, I have the same V3 and ain't a word about it anywhere on the Arturia site.

I just checked and it says 399€ until I click "Buy", after which it turns into 99€ (being logged in, of course).

edit. Unrelated, when I click their link to read about the new licensing software I get a page wonderfully named 'Page not foundsh404SEF custom content' :haw:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Dec 3, 2014

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Oldstench posted:

Madrona Labs Aalto and Kaivo are 50% with the discount code "DOUGFIR". You should buy these awesome synths.

They both seem pretty awesome (especially if you want to do something very experimental), but I've never actually heard or seen a proper demo of any of them. I have the limited version of Aalto, but that's only one voice so I feel it kinda defeats the whole concept.

How long does this offer last? I want to be convinced to buy them :10bux:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Huh, maybe that's what I used to make the aptly named 'horror.mp3'. It's been over 4 years since I did it and I can't remember how :downs: Might've been some easier tool though, I think there was a GBS thread or something.

horror.mp3
Fun fact, URL sounds like "devil" in my language!

Props if you can recognize the song.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've looked at Cthulu before, but I'm wondering; are people just using the Bach chorales that come with it or are there like libraries and stuff for it that you use?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Neat. Maybe I'll save up for it :homebrew:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

My god, there are so many.

How are they all free? :catstare:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

precedence posted:

No idea. I love DSK though. Most of their stuff is really good for being free.

They are!
I've always wanted a music box VST so I could make this :kiddo:
http://tindeck.com/listen/bfskx

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Trig Discipline posted:

I'm just not sure I could use a saxophone VST without a big sex knob.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FM2g-lVMR8

He played the wrong song <:mad:> If you're going to get me to buy it you better play Careless Whisper.

utamaru posted:

I have this stupid grin on my face now.
:D

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Trig Discipline posted:

That's exactly how Embertone announced its existence!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TE7pplQGzg

That's.... well I guess I'm sold v:shobon:v

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Digital Sound Factory who has the rights to sell the original samples from old E-mu stuff and such has redone their website from scratch, and to celebrate they're giving out a 72-hour 30% discount with the coupon NEWSITE30...

...except the coupon doesn't work and makes the checkout throw a huge red SQL error. Great new site you got there, DSF :thumbsup:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

W424 posted:

It isn't, you should not pressure anybody to do it if they don't feel mentally prepared and have solid grasp of the effects and duration of the experience.

Thanks for this. :allears:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Probably a dumb question, but I don't really "get" waveshapers... what do you use them for and how does it differ from just a regular old distortion?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

wayfinder posted:

"Distortion" is a container for lots of different techniques, including waveshaping. Waveshaping is a container for lots of different techniques, including non-distorting ones.

If waveshaping is a form of distortion, how can it be non-distorting? :smuggo:

I suppose I should have phrased my question better, what do you use waveshaping for other than fuzzing/warming up a sound (aka. distortion)? It just seems like one of those things where the sky is the limit and there has to be more interesting uses than fuzz. Do you use it on complex sounds or basic waveforms? Are there any "yup that's waveshaping" sort of sounds, like you get with bitcrushing, ring mod, etc.?

I want to be schooled :cheeky:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Trig Discipline posted:

Izotope just released some sort of new dynamic delay plugin, which is free until March 10.

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/effects-instruments/ddly-dynamic-delay/

Is it actually free or does it come with additional software/DRM/subscription? I love delays (though I mostly just use NastyDLA) but I hate free * stuff :cheeky:

* Give credit card number, install sketchy software

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is there a name for the sort of effect like Guitar Rig's Resochord? At high decay, it essentially makes it a sort of drone and I'd really love to get some idea of how it works so I could (potentially) create something similar.

I don't play guitar, but here's a short recording I did to show it off from like 2 years ago https://soundcloud.com/noiseyard-1/gitarfuns

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Popcorn posted:

Sheesh. Thanks for the info.

I feel like the whole music software biz works on a bizarre business model generally. Everything's hugely overpriced and a nightmare to license and install. I think if they just made things affordable to the average hobbyist a lot of bullshit would go away.

I have nothing to base this on whatsoever.

I feel the same way, but I can only reason that it's because people actually put up with it :v: NI's business model is insane but they're the first to be recommended when people ask about what plugins to get, and people continue to support developers with insane DRM like iLok. If this was any other type of software nerds would be up in arms in a jiffy, but the main userbase is musicians (?!) and the market is fresh enough that the users just assume that's how it's supposed to be.

This is pretty "man yells at cloud" territory though so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

drat right :colbert:

e: I'm crazy anti-iLok, and I'm wondering how they did this stuff. Isn't the M1 and D50 sample-based, and if so did they get permission from Korg/Roland to use their samples? If they actually sound like those synths I'm super interested, but again... iLok.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Radiapathy posted:

UVI tries to make a good faith effort at not trampling too much on the original IP owners' rights

It just tripped me up that they specifically mention the Yamaha SY77, Korg M1, Ensoniq VFX and Roland D50 on the product page itself. For sample-based instruments, that usually means "endorsed by" and "literally the exact samples".

I already have the Korg Legacy Collection M1, but I'm so interested in the rest that I might see if I can find a way to tolerate iLok on my computer.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Not only does it require iLok but it only downloads over http? :psyduck: Who in their right mind would send you a 10GB file over http.

Why does life have to be so hard, I just want cheesy synths.

e: it's downloading at ~200KB/s and after about 6 hours of course my internet goes down. Did UVI not get the memo that it's 2016?

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Mar 10, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

pyrotek posted:

I can't imagine how pissed off I would be if I actually paid for it.

I was thinking the same thing :haw:

Anyway, I eventually got it downloaded and installed on my laptop (don't feel like installing sketchy "anti-piracy" drivers and download managers on my stationary) and it's essentially just a collection of presets. You can change the filter and add/remove effects but that's where the customization ends. Still loads of cheesy sounds though so maybe I'll sample it and transfer it that way.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is there a list of what's actually updated? It wants 100€ to update my V Collection 4 but it doesn't say what any of it does. :iiam:

e: I guess it just makes the GUIs resizable? I guess that's almost worth the money, because several of them are so tiny on my screen that they're completely unusable without a magnifying glass.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 09:52 on May 23, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
On the one hand I really want to upgrade to Arturia V Collection 5 because the new stuff is wonderful and the new interface actually makes the old synths usable...

..but on the other hand I already have so many synths, including my most recent purchase, Pianoteq. If V Collection 5 has everything, then what about all my old stuff :negative:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Since I got Bazille with Bitwig I've become pretty proficient with that, but I do feel like different interfaces make for different workflows. Like I gravitate towards certain sounds with certain synths, do you know what I mean? This is how I justify making more purchases :shepspends:

RE: V Collection 5, I really want the Synclavier V, and the updated interface for Modular V, ARP2600 V and CS80 V will make those actually usable.. On the one hand the only new thing I want is the Synclavier from V Collection 5, but if I just update my current synths it will cost 100€ instead of 200€... then again if I want to buy the Synclavier at a later point that will cost me 200€. Is the Synclavier V worth 100€? I'll have to decide before the end of June..

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Heartbroken 2Twice posted:

Has anyone had experience with Korg Legacy Collection? Got an opportunity to pick it up on special for ~$100, but already have a physical MS20 - and also have a voucher that would let me grab Waves' Codex wavetable synth for ~$30. Anybody have an opinion on how Wavestation stacks up to Codex, or whether I should save up for a different one altogether? Using Pro Tools 11 so would have to run Legacy Collection via rewire or invest in a VSTi host.

Unless they've updated the GUIs, they're extremely tiny and hard to use on modern screens, and don't expect much in the way QOL. It's probably easier to program the Wavestation VST than a real Wavestation.... but it's certainly not easy. Preset browsing/loading/saving is pretty bad too.

Soundwise they sound good to me though and from what I've heard they're pretty faithful. v:)v

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Trig Discipline posted:

I grabbed that last time around. Sounds pretty good, if a bit outside the range of what I use regularly.

Same, except it's right up my alley :haw:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

NonzeroCircle posted:

Its loving awesome, get it. A bit weird initially (you can use either master fx OR sends, not both) but will make sounds you've never heard before.

Wow, I've been into sample-based stuff recently and somehow never heard of this thing. It looks/sounds pretty cool :aaa: I already have too many synths so I'm looking for a reason not to buy it; does it have super lovely DRM perhaps? (never bought an Izotope product before)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Just came here to post this.

It's very nice and bubbly, gorgeous interface, get it while you can!

You can do some crazy robot farting with this thing, the LFOs (and step sequencer!) go into audio range, the filter itself sounds great and the modulation opportunities are also very neat. I'm having a blast with this thing and now I want to put it on everything :allears:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Like most license managers it seems to just be a background service, so it's pretty set and forget. Heck, if you're paranoid like me you can even stop the service from running in the background and only manually activate it whenever you're gonna use a plugin that requires it :v:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

minidracula posted:

KORG Legacy Collection? I already have an actual original MS-20, so the MS-20 plugin would just be for using it ITB, and I'm not sure how much I care about the M1 or Wavestation stuff... but it's a decent bundle cost-wise. I know others have talked about it here before in the past, just wondering what the general thread hivemind thought is on it.

I like it (although I only use it for the M1 and Wavestation so.. ymmw) and it sounds good to my ears. Only problem is that the interface is extremely tiny (probably meant for screen resolutions of a bygone age) and the interfaces don't have that much in terms of modern quality of life changes (aka. they're kinda fiddly).

Would still recommend :v:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

NonzeroCircle posted:

Are there any vst synths where I can tune directly in hz?

If you want to do this and a million things more, I can't recommend u-he's Bazille enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MrSargent posted:

Splice has pay-to-own program for Xfer's Serum Synthesizer. You basically pay $10/month until you have paid off the whole VST, with no interest. Once you have paid the full amount, you own the VST free and clear.

This sounds too good to be true, what's the catch? :v:

Serum looks fantastic and I've wanted it for a long time, but I already have too many synths and the price tag has kept me from buying it.