Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Generally the regular/non-seasonal Sweetwater brews are kinda meh to me, but some of their seasonals and Dank Tank special projects really kick rear end. I've heard that you may have the opportunity to sample beers that simply aren't available anywhere else on the tour.

I used to have a Taco Mac around the corner (E/W Connector/Austell) that would carry the Dank Tank brews but it got shut down for some reason. I WANT MY GODDAMN 98 BEERS ON TAP AROUND THE CORNER BACK DAMMIT! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

WaterIsPoison posted:

They really only showed us the bottling system, took us out back to explain their expansion and then took us into the freezer. We didn't get to see any of the brewing process itself. Maybe I should go on another day?
As someone who recently started homebrewing, are there any decent homebrewing clubs in the area?

that is actually true, I don't know how I've never had that thought go through my head while doing the tour. they don't really show the brewing process at all, which is kind of odd, and a legit complaint. good call.

I submitted a few entries to the Peach State Brew-off a couple years back, and met this one guy that seemed pretty nice. I now run in to this guy like once every 4-6 months at beer related events - and he always tries to get me to check out the Covert Hops Society (brew club) which sounds ok. I wouldn't really describe myself as a 'club-inclined' guy, so I've just never gone to check it out, but for what it's worth he says they're all nice and pretty knowledgeable dudes.

conversely, I'm pretty sure the Brewmasters of Alpharetta are basically all insufferable pricks - but maybe I'm just bitter about this one neckbeared socially inept dude who really smugly entered like literally 23 beers into the competition I was in, and won like 6 metals, presumably for no other reason than like a quarter of the beers even being judged were his.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 27, 2012

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
I'm not really looking for anything formal, but it'd be nice to find a couple of like minded dudes who just care about making good beer, share tips, and not worry about competitions and all the jazz.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

What area are you in? My dad and his friends are the exec board of New London brew club and they're all really great. New London swept most categories at Peach State this year so they're a really talented bunch too. My brother and I brew as well, it's kind of a family thing now. :3:

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
Hey all, the Ponce City Market is doing tours of the building and its connection to the Beltline for the TSPLOST vote. The only opening is July 18th, so hurry up and register. It's free!

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

13Pandora13 posted:

What area are you in? My dad and his friends are the exec board of New London brew club and they're all really great. New London swept most categories at Peach State this year so they're a really talented bunch too. My brother and I brew as well, it's kind of a family thing now. :3:

I live up in North Buckhead near Chastain Park.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

WaterIsPoison posted:

I live up in North Buckhead near Chastain Park.

Ah. New London is in Gwinnett so it might be a bit of a trek.

EmeraldCity
Jun 28, 2012

by Fistgrrl
I'd like to +1 the guy on page 6 who said Canoe (http://www.canoeatl.com/). I don't remember too many dining experiences from my trips to Atlanta (just not my kind of foodie hotspot, I guess), but Canoe definitely stands out above the rest I've had there. Which, OK, is only like 25 places, but still.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I've only been to canoe once, and my food was pretty bad. but, this was like 4 years ago, I should give it another try...

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

mindphlux posted:

I've only been to canoe once, and my food was pretty bad. but, this was like 4 years ago, I should give it another try...

The she-crab soup, complete with a jigger of cream sherry to add at the last minute, is one of the best things I've ever put in my mouth, period.

Wagoneer
Jul 16, 2006

hay there!
Anyone else go to Black Bear? Their food isn't so bad (for bar food) and it's pretty low key.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Are you in or are you out?

b0g
Jul 18, 2003

Hey,

I'm curious, Anyone know any european delicatessen type shops in atlanta that do not suck? I knw some of them have little sandwich shops in them and was wondering about those too.

Thanks

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
That list look amazing, but I just worry that Brick Store is going to be absolutely packed tonight.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

WaterIsPoison posted:

That list look amazing, but I just worry that Brick Store is going to be absolutely packed tonight.
Of course it's going to be a poo poo show. That's why we have to get there at 4pm and claim our seat at the bar. :v:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

b0g posted:

Hey,

I'm curious, Anyone know any european delicatessen type shops in atlanta that do not suck? I knw some of them have little sandwich shops in them and was wondering about those too.

Thanks

Wienerz in Smyrna, on Atlanta Road behind Dobbins, is a cool little butcher shop and deli. They make their own sausages; their beer brats are amazing. They're also right next door to Bernhard's, a little German bakery that makes some awesome bread.

Alon's in Dunwoody has a great deli and bakery, a proper cheese shop, and tons of deli-type prepared foods, as well as sandwiches and such. I particularly love their hummus.

Edit: Not European or a deli, but the Brazilian Bakery Cafe on Powers Ferry in Marietta is fantastic as well.

dennyk fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 30, 2012

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

b0g posted:

Hey,

Thanks

if you're looking for european meats, the buford highway farmers market is excellent, though they don't have premade sandwiches. they have plenty of house made pickles, obscure russian and hungarian meats, etc. there's also Pataks, but that's not in Atlanta per se.

if you're just looking for a sandwich shop, Alons intown is really awesome (better than dunwoody one imho). star provisions is really good. Henri's bakery in buckhead is just ok, and there's some german bakery in dunwoody I forget the name of that is pretty alright too.

kontona
May 3, 2003

i was just at the buford highway market a sec ago. i've walked through the european section but never got anything from there. (never really had eastern european food at all tbh).

is there anything that you would recommend me to try out? think i might try some of the preserved veggies.

seconding alon's and star provisions. pricey but worth it.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

kontona posted:

i was just at the buford highway market a sec ago. i've walked through the european section but never got anything from there. (never really had eastern european food at all tbh).

is there anything that you would recommend me to try out? think i might try some of the preserved veggies.

seconding alon's and star provisions. pricey but worth it.

the smoked fish is really good - the oilier ones you can microwave and it gets crispy, which is good on crackers with some sour cream and pickled onions. pickled herring is really nice with some non-pickled onions and a glass of wine as a hors d'ourve, there's tons of really awesome cured meats - they're expensive, but just be brave and pick up some thin kabanosy - I particulary like the 'red square' brand they have there. ()

also, they'll thin slice some of their sausages they have behind the counter. just don't be afraid to be dumb and ask a lot of questions. the ladies are usually nice, and you can ask how people usually eat different types of stuff.

the dill pickle watermelon is.... interesting...... hehe ;)

oh, also, it's probably the german in me, but rotkohl (red cabbage) is amazing - they have jarred stuff in the german section. it's great as a side with roast poultry and some lardons. potato dumplings are great too. oh eastern european countries, why must your food be so good.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Brickstore update: still have the crispy duck for a while, but they're out of _exactly_ mah prepared beer list. If you plan on stopping by shoot me a PM. I have 2 hour to kill in the square.

Edit:
omfg the duck / kimchi / fried dirty rice balls

kuskus fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 1, 2012

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Patak kicks rear end. I just wish they didn't have such stupid hours. Everything I've ever bought there has been wonderful. I'm particularly a fan of the Hungarian sausages. Lovely, ridiculously thick pork chops. Pierogies to die for.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Just got back from Brick Store and had the Allagash Burbon Black, Jailhouse Breakout with Oreo on cask, and Bitches Brew. All were fanatstic, but holy gently caress was it cooking inside. Felt like the AC wasn't even on. GF had the duck, but it looked a bit overdone to me, although it tasted mighty fine.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I heard the Empire dude did 50 dishes of duck and Josh Lyman got the LAST one and cleaned his plate, they were busy, it's still hot, I'm still riding on Mikkeller Black 17.5%. They just broke out a fresh Breakout stout Oreo cask and I had to have a pint.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
There is going to be another installment of Get Delicious on PBS this week. Set your DVRs.

from Atlanta Magazine:

quote:

The culinary brains behind PBA30's "Get Delicious!" are back with another installment of the Atlanta-centric food show. "Barbeque, Bacon, and Other Adventures in Meat" will premiere with a sneak peak at the Plaza Theatre this Sun., July 1, followed by the television premiere on Thur., July 5 and Sun., July 8. In this installment, bearded renaissance man Jim Stacy gallivants across Atlanta (and some nearby places) to taste smoky meats, slice charcuterie, and meet a few farm animals along the way. New favorites, including Heirloom Market BBQ and Pine Street Market, appear alongside the old standbys of Daddy D'z BBQ Joynt and Patak Meats.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Finally hit up Brick Store on Saturday. Had three beers I've never had before and all three were excellent; one of them was from the cellar and wasn't even on the menu. We asked for it and the waitress was like, "Let me check the cellar..."

Yeah, I'd like to see that cellar. :stare:

We had the pimento cheese appetizer, I had the Shepherd's Daughter's Pie (my only complaint is that I could have eaten twice the size of the portion I was given because I was starving), and my buddy got the Cornish Game Hen. It was all great. I wish I was in a position at the time to continue to some of the other great-looking bars in the immediate area. Next time, maybe!

It was loud as hell but that's understandable. The atmosphere was fun and the service was fantastic. I like their "anyone can serve you" approach. I tipped very well.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Powdered Toast Man posted:

Finally hit up Brick Store on Saturday. Had three beers I've never had before and all three were excellent; one of them was from the cellar and wasn't even on the menu. We asked for it and the waitress was like, "Let me check the cellar..."

Yeah, I'd like to see that cellar. :stare:

We had the pimento cheese appetizer, I had the Shepherd's Daughter's Pie (my only complaint is that I could have eaten twice the size of the portion I was given because I was starving), and my buddy got the Cornish Game Hen. It was all great. I wish I was in a position at the time to continue to some of the other great-looking bars in the immediate area. Next time, maybe!

It was loud as hell but that's understandable. The atmosphere was fun and the service was fantastic. I like their "anyone can serve you" approach. I tipped very well.
Next time get the volcano.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Also if the noise bothers you, go up the stairs and around the next two left turns. You'll be in a cozy little room.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

Next time get the volcano.

The best brunswick stew I've ever had was at Southern Elements on the ground floor of the Hilton Downtown. I've had stew at every hole-in-the-wall bbq joint in NE georgia and theirs, by far, takes the cake. That being said, next time I make my way down to Brick Store, I'll be sure to order the volcano.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

Zenzirouj posted:

Also if the noise bothers you, go up the stairs and around the next two left turns. You'll be in a cozy little room.

I saw that room and it did look nice. I just wish they had a bathroom upstairs.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Anyone going to the atlanta street food festival this weekend besides me? http://www.atlantastreetfoodfestival.com/

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

signalnoise posted:

Anyone going to the atlanta street food festival this weekend besides me? http://www.atlantastreetfoodfestival.com/

Since I haven't been to the Food Truck Park yet, I'm definitely going to swing by the festival before going to The Matrix Live.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Webbeh posted:

Since I haven't been to the Food Truck Park yet, I'm definitely going to swing by the festival before going to The Matrix Live.
Mother. Of. God. :dong:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Webbeh posted:

wow

this actually sounds pretty cool

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008
Went to Sweet Auburn Curb Market today with some friends. I didn't realize that Grindhouse Burgers had a setup there so I finally tried one of their burgers. Best burger I've had in quite some time. Even more impressive were the collard greens at Metro Deli Soul Food. Definitely worth checking out if you're in the area.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
yeah, I think I've now eaten multiple times at all the trendy burger places in Atlanta.

westside flip is my favorite for non-traditional burgers by far, farmburger in decatur is my favorite for traditional burgers with interesting toppings, yeah burger is solid but even less interesting than farmburger. but if I just want a burger with like some bacon and cheese and onion rings or something, grindhouse knocks it out of the park. by far my favorite 'traditional' burger, excepting only for holeman and finch's 10'o'clock burger, which I gotta say is - in my opinion - Atlanta's best.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
If you haven't had the burger at Bocado, I recommend that. I slightly prefer it to the H&F burger.

For what it is worth, I think the Grindhouse at Sweet Auburn Curb Market does things better than the one on Piedmont. The guys who opened Grindhouse sold the Sweet Auburn location when they opened the second location on Piedmont, however the Sweet Auburn location retained most of the staff. If I recall correctly, the two locations share a name, but are not otherwise not much related anymore. For example, the Grindhouse website lists both locations and has menus for both, but the Grindhouse Facebook and Twitter accounts only promote the Piedmont location.

In my experiences the burgers have been better at the Sweet Auburn location, and the service has been awful at times at the Piedmont location. The Piedmont location does have a larger menu, such as fried pimento cheese balls, and greater hours, but if I want a Grindhouse burger for a Saturday lunch, I'll always head to the Sweet Auburn location.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
I was unimpressed when I visited Grindhouse at Piedmont. I'm not sure if it was an off day but my burger really seemed just above run of the mill for burger joints. I'll go again to see if it's just me. Five Napkin Burger that opened up on Piedmont and 10th isn't too shabby either, but the prices are way high.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

WaterIsPoison posted:

I was unimpressed when I visited Grindhouse at Piedmont. I'm not sure if it was an off day but my burger really seemed just above run of the mill for burger joints. I'll go again to see if it's just me. Five Napkin Burger that opened up on Piedmont and 10th isn't too shabby either, but the prices are way high.
I went then and was also unimpressed. As far as that style of burger goes, I've yet to find anything that compares to Vortex, though I also enjoy my Five Guys.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.

Josh Lyman posted:

I went then and was also unimpressed. As far as that style of burger goes, I've yet to find anything that compares to Vortex, though I also enjoy my Five Guys.

Am I the only person on Earth that can't stand Five Guys? Everyone seems to love them for fast food burgers, but I hate that they always cook their patties well done. Well done is the worst.

VVV that's a fair point, I guess. All fast food burgers are horrible.

FLEXBONER fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Poop Delicatessen posted:

Am I the only person on Earth that can't stand Five Guys? Everyone seems to love them for fast food burgers, but I hate that they always cook their patties well done. Well done is the worst.

Aren't all fast food burgers well done? I certainly would be terrified if I got a burger that looked medium rare from McDonald's.