Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Spotted Kevin Gillespie eating right near us at Ticonderoga last night. Seemed to be in good spirits and healthy, so hopefully his recovery is going well.

Also the soft shelled crab there was so good holy fug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Next time you're at Krog come check out Watchman's, we opened on Tuesday and I've been very impressed with how together everything is. I was fully expecting to have to wait a couple weeks before telling people to come in and check it out but the Kimball House folks really know what they're doing. It's a nice place.

Plus we have the only Green Chartreuse machine on Earth, and shots from it are only six bucks on Happy Hour, so there's that.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

poop dood posted:

Next time you're at Krog come check out Watchman's, we opened on Tuesday and I've been very impressed with how together everything is. I was fully expecting to have to wait a couple weeks before telling people to come in and check it out but the Kimball House folks really know what they're doing. It's a nice place.

Plus we have the only Green Chartreuse machine on Earth, and shots from it are only six bucks on Happy Hour, so there's that.

Yeah I need to. One of my old friends kate works the bar there I think. Looking forward to it!

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

poop dood posted:

lol is it like the Jager chiller machines that have a row of upside down bottles sticking out of it but with Chartreuse branding? I find that hilarious for some reason but am now wondering why there aren't Fernet Branca machines like that.

I had a green chartreuse slushy at The Morris when I was in SF a couple weeks ago. It was good in 65F weather, I bet it'd be GREAT in Atlanta summer weather.

Awesome that y'all are open. I haven't made it over to KSM in a minute (I got Gu's delivered last night but that doesn't really count), will definitely stop in soon.

My two favorite Kimball House cocktails (and two of my favorites ever) were their Cherry Julep and the Sour Cherry Phosphate; either on the new menu?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

poop dood posted:

I was there last Wednesday. I asked for a "poop dood" and just got funny looks.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Tatsuta Age posted:

One of my old friends kate works the bar there I think

Kate rules.

Lawen posted:

lol is it like the Jager chiller machines that have a row of upside down bottles sticking out of it but with Chartreuse branding? I find that hilarious for some reason but am now wondering why there aren't Fernet Branca machines like that.

My two favorite Kimball House cocktails (and two of my favorites ever) were their Cherry Julep and the Sour Cherry Phosphate; either on the new menu?

Yeah, same kind of machine. It's an old Tuaca machine that one of our liquor reps hand-painted for us. Tonight I backed into the button and dispensed ice-cold Chartreuse down the back of my pants. I don't recommend doing that.

No shared cocktails between the two bars. We're focusing on rum, agave and Chartreuse primarily, where KH is mostly whiskey and gin. Lots of daiquiris, swizzles, and a really good rum and tonic on draft.

venutolo posted:

I was there last Wednesday. I asked for a "poop dood" and just got funny looks.

You probably got funny looks because you were yelling from the other side of the locked door of a restaurant that hadn't opened yet.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

poop dood posted:

You probably got funny looks because you were yelling from the other side of the locked door of a restaurant that hadn't opened yet.

I assure you I was there last Wednesday as were many people. I had oysters, tuna crudo, shrimp roll, and hush puppies. I said hi to people I knew.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

venutolo posted:

I assure you I was there last Wednesday as were many people. I had oysters, tuna crudo, shrimp roll, and hush puppies. I said hi to people I knew.

Christ, didn't realize we've been open for a week already. My bad. That shrimp roll fuckin whips tho right?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

poop dood posted:

Christ, didn't realize we've been open for a week already. My bad. That shrimp roll fuckin whips tho right?

Yes. The pseudo Hawaiian roll it is on is killer. I loved that bread at Kimball.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again
We were at Watchman's Saturday night. Super good food and drinks! I'm a Chartreuse fiend, along with rum, so I was quite at home. What do you do there poop dood?!

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Started as a server, have begun moving up the bartending ranks. I had been behind the bar for two years before this but the scene here is quite a bit more advanced than back in sleepy old Richmond. Much to learn.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
hattie b's
hattie b's
HATTIE FUCKIN B'S

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

mindphlux posted:

hattie b's
hattie b's
HATTIE FUCKIN B'S
I'll have to eat summa dat when they open on Saturday. I'll be around this weekend.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

kuskus posted:

I'll have to eat summa dat when they open on Saturday. I'll be around this weekend.

:ssh: they open on thursday

I'll be there, 5:30p sharp

just in town for a visit?

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
As apparently, to much sorrow, Swallow at the Hollow faded out earlier this year, are there any other (BBQ joints) in or around Atlanta that make their own bread and such in-house to about as high a standard as the meat itself? Or even anywhere left in the state outright?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I'm going to hope that 11am Friday won't be a madhouse at Hattie B's, but will be prepared with a backup plan.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

mindphlux posted:

just in town for a visit?
Weekend birthday escape to eat good food / drinks and probably ride a bike around.

edit: Sat night bday bike crawl. 6p Poor Hendrix, Golden Eagle, Watchman's, then likely SOS and eventually collapse @ AirBnB in Decatur.

kuskus fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 11, 2018

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Hell yeah. Be aware Watchman's closes at 12. Ask for Charles and I'll buy you a Chartreuse. Will be inquiring w/r/t presence of stairs in your house.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
sounds lovveeeeely

happy b'day!

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Thanks and will do.
Sunday is Attack of the Killer Tomato Fest... A Ford Fry Joint.
Considering it for the participant list.

Edit: silence speaks volumes, Ford fry can eat my rear end, etcetera

kuskus fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 13, 2018

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Waited 40 minutes in line at Hattie B's. Good rear end chicken sandwich.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
First post-Hattie's poop: 7/10 burn.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

venutolo posted:

First post-Hattie's poop: 7/10 burn.

What would you do differently next time? Asking for myself, tomorrow.
About to check into this Decatur Airbnb and then maybe SOS/EMSM.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
You will have hosed up if you stayed in Decatur and didn't go to Kimball House.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

kuskus posted:

What would you do differently next time? Asking for myself, tomorrow.
About to check into this Decatur Airbnb and then maybe SOS/EMSM.

I got the drat Hot chicken sandwich and next time I'll get the Shut the Cluck Up heat level. The heat is cut by the juicy chicken, slaw, and bun. If I got chicken, but not a sandwich, I'd probably start with drat Hot and see if I'd like it hotter in the future.

Assuming they're serving people at the same speed as during my visit, the point in the line where it bends at a sharp angle around the outdoor seating means you're about 35 minutes from ordering. Parking was only available at the pay lot next door. At least on the phone, you could only do 4 hours for $7.35, which kind of stinks.

I ate at EMSM tonight. Get the chilled peach and tomato soup.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

poop dood posted:

You will have hosed up if you stayed in Decatur and didn't go to Kimball House.
As an old, I am happy to see your suggestion but watched KH come together from a backyard Leon's dream.
Also happy to have made EMSM Omakase in time, no thanks to MARTA!

See you tomorrow!

Edit: re: venutolo, I'm having that soup now!

kuskus fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 14, 2018

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Okay, I'll bite. What is EMSM short for?

I'm out of town for the next few days but hopeful that Hattie B lines will have died down by next Wednesday or Thursday when I'm going to hit it up.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Lawen posted:

What is EMSM short for?
Eat Me Speak Me. Used to be at Gato but is now at SOS Tiki Bar. Typically local in season produce remixed into some fresh savory small plate assortments.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

kuskus posted:

Thanks and will do.
Sunday is Attack of the Killer Tomato Fest... A Ford Fry Joint.
Considering it for the participant list.

Edit: silence speaks volumes, Ford fry can eat my rear end, etcetera

katrina and I will be at killer tomato fest - even for all my ford fry angst, it's my favorite food festival ever. I'm foregoing my ATLUTD season tickets and the world cup final for it even! (or may try to do 1/2 and 1/2)

hattie b's gets a 10/10 on food in my book. just as awesome as I remembered it being from nashville.

"drat hot" and "burn notice" are the same level of heat, just one has more paste on it than the other I'm pretty sure. "drat hot" is about the level I make my hot chicken at home for a crowd (so as not to offend) - I'd consider this kinda the minimum for nashville style hot chicken. "burn notice" is what I'm looking for in hot chicken though - vindaloo level heat. nothing excessive though still - no food they're putting out is even close to like 'inedibly spicy' or something.

mah gurl got "hot" out of caution and fear and regretted not getting the higher spice levels, fwiw.

sides were excellent. slaw and potato salad killlled it. collards and mac were fine, but nothing either of us were gonna write home about.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
the lines at Hattie B’s are still ridiculous right? Like next Saturday do you think they’ll still make the chicken good?

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

mindphlux posted:

katrina and I will be at killer tomato fest - even
I will see you there!

Hattie's has just opened and of course there's a huge line. Happy Bastille Day! How many places have things going on? I know proof Bakeshop does, I'm walking there after this. Paris on Ponce has stuff all day today and tomorrow.
Edit: confirmed that all 100 people are here just for spicy poops!

kuskus fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 14, 2018

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I'm waiting in line at Hattie B's right now! We caught it when they did the pop up at Fox Bros and it was fantastic so really looking forward to this.

Got here about 10:45 and it looks like we'll be able to order by 11:45.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
It sounds like my 40 minute wait in line wast too bad relative to others I've heard of this week. My friend went last night and waited in line for an hour then their order was delayed 35 minutes due to some kitchen thing.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Shouts to the two goons I met today who didn't tell me who the gently caress they are on this website. Y'all are great regardless and having to explain that I brought in guests to the restaurant because I know them anonymously on an internet forum was a unique joy.

Looking forward to trying Hattie B's a few weeks to a month from now. Apparently their cooks made food for our whole staff last week on a day that I was off, so they rule in my book.

Also I have to sing the praises of the secret-menu breakfast sandwich at Ticonderoga Club if y'all aren't familiar. It's called the Yankee, it's bacon, egg and American cheese on a house kaiser roll, they make like a dozen every night around 11pm, and I don't know how much they cost because the only times I've ever had one were because one of our managers went over there and bought out however many they had left as a reward to the bar staff for a good night. They're seriously extremely good. But don't blow this poo poo up, it's the only thing that keeps me going some nights and I'm only telling y'all because I know you're cool.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Yankee BEC is good stuff. Ticonderoga Club might be my favorite restaurant. If it isn't, it's in the top five.

I was one from last night. I was the guy who knew Reid, Adrienne, and some kitchen people.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

It was excellent meeting poop dood! At the risk of doxxing, here is a proof:

Among other things I had the shrimp roll– grilled perfectly on three sides and I can't stop thinking about it. Really enjoyed the chartreuse.

Currently waiting in line for tomatoes.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

My friend Alan does amazing things with hotdogs on Sundays in front of Queen of Cream. Next Sunday afternoon if you're out and about you must check out his flavors. Limited run softserve as well, I recommend Ohio Express.

Attack of the Killer Tomato Fest was really great! I'm almost tomato'd out but I came away with such fresh ideas. The tomato and chicken dumpling with tomato dashi was super.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

kuskus posted:

My friend Alan does amazing things with hotdogs on Sundays in front of Queen of Cream. Next Sunday afternoon if you're out and about you must check out his flavors. Limited run softserve as well, I recommend Ohio Express.

Attack of the Killer Tomato Fest was really great! I'm almost tomato'd out but I came away with such fresh ideas. The tomato and chicken dumpling with tomato dashi was super.

woahh I missed that one! guessing it was inside JCT downstairs? ended up there last and 1/2 of folks were out of food.

saw you in line, and fully intended to hunt you down - no idea how we missed you through the entire rest of the festival. rip

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Ate a Shut the Cluck Up chicken sandwich at Hattie B's. That was hot. 8.5/10 poop burn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
FYI I believe that Meating Street BBQ in Roswell is now the best BBQ in the area (for my tastes) and the Po'Boy Shop in the same shopping center as Community Q is real good.