Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

AgentHaiTo posted:

Last Friday, we brought some friends to Der Biergarten. Our first time there and I heard about it here. We absolutely loved it, and my 4 year old devoured a whole wurst and pretzel, so it's kid friendly too. I only had two different beers, but the other folks had several and liked everything they got.

We didn't order entrees per person, but just got a bunch of different appetizers and shared. For the finale we go the whole roast pork shank, and it was amazing. Crunchy, crispy, fatty pork skin. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it days later.

My wife used to live near one of these places when she was in Queens a few years ago, and we also found something like this in Jersey City. Both of them were awesome. We'll have to add this to the ol' Foursquare list. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

So a couple weekends ago, my wife and some of her friends and I hit up Antico and we really liked it. We're originally from NJ and haven't been able to find really good pizza in the area, and this place finally delivered. I forget the names they had for them, but we got one with artichokes and other veggies, and another one with lots of meat. Both were awesome. Their cannolis are also pretty good, too.

There was a line outside about 20 deep but it moved reasonably quickly - we were inside after maybe 10 minutes.

My wife is a very picky Italian woman and she really liked their pizza. She liked it so much that I went back the next day and got her a large white cheese pizza (her favorite kind). I went on a Wednesday night and it was much emptier but still busy.

Oh, and she ate the whole goddamn pizza by herself in a day. :drat:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

The wife and I went to F&B in Buckhead last night for our Valentine's Day dinner and hoooly crap it was good. Those were probably the best steaks we've ever had! We also got the cheese plate and the salmon puff appetizer. Delicious. Oh, and the complimentary valet was great, too.

It was expensive as hell (almost $150 including drinks and tip) but we knew what we were getting into. We definitely want to come back here and see what their lunch is like.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Okay, so I got my wife and I dinner reservations for the Sun Dial this weekend. I've heard good things about the place and I'm fully aware that I'm going to be paying for the view and the food. I've also read some pretty nasty Yelp reviews, but that's Yelp.

Has anyone been here since the remodel? I've never been here before. Just want to know what I'm in for.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I haven't been to many BBQ places in the area yet but I thoroughly enjoyed Fat Matt's. Bone Lick was nice too but I felt like it was a little pricey.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

mindphlux posted:

stay away

stay far away

unless you're doing valentines day not-on-valentines day, do not under any circumstance go out for a meal on this day of days.

if you go, expect 2x as many tables crammed into every restaurant you'd normally like, eating 6 inches away from the couple next to you, special fixed price menus that are your only option, subpar food execution and service, et cetera.

I (stupidly) braved the going-out valentines day thing for like 3 years before I finally got it through my thick skull that this was a dumb idea. I think the three I went to were : woodfire grill (under kevin), sotto sotto, and one midtown kitchen. One was by far the worst, but even sotto sotto and woodfire were atrocious. I'd say I just had bad experiences, but those are three really well known and reasonably respected restaurants, all doing the exact same thing, and all failing in the same way - so I think it's probably systemic. I feel for the staff though, it must be a nightmare to work on a day like that.

ulmont posted:

Yes. Do Valentine's Day not on Valentine's Day. Otherwise accept everything else being miserable.

I took my wife out to dinner at the Sun Dial last year on the 15th (a Sunday) and it was still fairly crowded, but the place is pretty spacious so we had plenty of buffer between us and the next closest couples. I can't imagine how bad it would have been on the 14th. The only issues we had were with loud, obnoxious people that were dressed poorly for a fancy restaurant and had their kids along with them.

But yeah, 100% agree. Do not go out to dinner on the 14th unless you hate yourself or your spouse.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Trying to figure out where to take the missus for V-Day (on the 15th, though, not the 14th because gently caress that). I'm thinking someplace that has a good cheese plate since we have a thing for cheese plates.

We've been to F&B in Buckhead and the Sun Dial the last two years. We really liked F&B; anything else like that around?

And while we're on the subject, any place that makes good chocolates? I would like to avoid going to a chain place like Godiva.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Had to catch a morning flight to Philly a couple weeks ago, so I tried the breakfast sandwich at the airport Grindhouse. It was really good! I'd get it again.

mindphlux posted:

whats instigram

It's a thing where you post pictures of food instead of eating it.

Related:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFzKi-o4rHw

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Apr 15, 2016

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

My search for decent NY-style pizza has finally ended. Found a place called Uncle Vito's. It's a hole in the wall just off Powers Ferry and Windy Hill Rd in Marietta. It's the best pizza I've had in this area.

So now I've got two places to recommend for pizza around Atlanta! (Antico is the other one.)

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Went to F&B in Buckhead last week with the missus after a 3-year gap. Can confirm, still delicious.

I got the salmon and she got the filet mignon. Superb. We also got the cheese plate and cappuccino.

Even the rolls were great. God, we miss having good bread. Where can you get good bread in Atlanta? Like, really good bread. Publix occasionally has something decent in the bakery but it's never consistent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

For what it's worth, I remember having a really good burger at Curb Market's Grindhouse stand. That was over a year ago though. I don't get out enough. :shrug: