Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neena
May 11, 2007

No male will ever handle my massive CoX!
Wait, I meant boobs! Wait!
FISTS, Shit!
Monday Night Brewing actually just opened a location on the Westside, but I don't think their tours are going yet. I can't remember exactly where it is either, even though I drove by it not too long ago (I work over in that area, right near Tech).

Highland Bakery's pretty good for breakfast if you're willing to go a little ways.

quote:

My family is hitting up Canoe tomorrow for my dad's birthday. Anyone have any dishes they recommend?

My boyfriend took me to Canoe last year for my birthday :) Their game dishes are pretty awesome. The rabbit that's on the menu on the website right now looks great. However, it does say Summer 2012 and I don't know if they've switched over to a winter or fall menu. I can't remember exactly because my memory is poo poo, but I had some kind of game bird when we were there, I think maybe pheasant. We also had the smoked salmon appetizer and it was great.

Hope you enjoy it! I love Canoe.

And while I'm here, I might as well plug Muss & Turner's over in Smyrna. They're contemporary American (although they do occasionally have other stuff- I had an amazing Thai curry dish once), and they serve mostly local stuff; the menu changes every few weeks. I've never had a disappointing meal there, although I will say that their sandwiches and burgers are just pretty good- the entrees are really what shine. I love it, and we end up taking all our friends there. Took my dad to brunch last weekend for his birthday, which was the first time we'd done their brunch, and it was also quite good. One of these days I want to do their cheese tasting and charcuterie, but we're usually too busy ordering everything else under the drat sun :mad:

And last weekend, they had this really interesting beer that I tried:

The label's a little hard to see but it's fermented with Roma tomatoes and spiced with dill, horseradish, peppercorns, and celery seed. http://www.shortsbrewing.com/beer/our-portfolio/specialty-beers/bloody-beer/ Very good, very different.

Has anyone been to Miller Union? I keep wanting to go there, and it's not far from my office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neena
May 11, 2007

FISTS, Shit!

Safety Dance posted:

I have a friend in town, and I haven't seen her in ages. She's staying up in Alpharetta. Is there anything worth going out of my way for up there?

Constraints:
  • She's nominally vegetarian, but will eat chicken. Not sure about fish. No beef, pork, or shellfish.
  • I'd like to keep it in the $20/diner range, maybe a bit more.
  • Ideally somewhere not terribly noisy.

If I had my druthers I'd just take her to H. Harper Station and just pay for everything, but they're closed on Mondays (bastards). Maybe Figo; it's not spectacular, but it's solid.

I kind of hate Alpharetta, but we have some friends up there too, and we've gone to this place called the Salt Factory that was pretty good. http://saltfactorypub.com It's in this little historic district and there are a few other restaurants there too, but that's the only one I've been to.

Neena
May 11, 2007

FISTS, Shit!
Never been, the reviews look good though. But as a general recommendation, I live in Marietta and love Umezono on Cobb Pkwy (their don are delicious, as is the sushi).

Neena
May 11, 2007

FISTS, Shit!
That sounds awesome. I've been meaning to go to Chai Pani, I would love to go to this and learn about the dishes. :) Thanks for organizing this.

Neena
May 11, 2007

FISTS, Shit!
I keep meaning to go to Local Three, especially since I love Muss & Turners so much. If any of you find yourself otp you should definitely check them out, by the way.

We have a tasting scheduled next week at Sun in My Belly, to potentially have them cater our wedding. Funnily enough we got that scheduled before we actually made it out to the restaurant to eat, but I've heard nothing but good things about them from everybody I've talked to. I'm thinking of just asking them to do a chefs choice of stuff that would be seasonal in Oct. Anyone else had their catering?

Also, is it customary to have the catering do the wedding cake as well? I figure I'll ask about their cake options next week, but if anyone has bakery suggestions I'd like to hear them. We're not going for anything too insane or ornate, I really just want it to be awesome and delicious.

Neena
May 11, 2007

FISTS, Shit!

Omerta posted:

I have a "money is of no consequence" kinda dinner coming up. Any recommendations? It'll be in about a month. Not saying I want expensive for the sake of expensive, but I'd like quality non-steakhouse and I'm ok if it's really expensive.

I've heard the Optimist is really good for seafood. On another level, there's Bacchanalia, which is amazing but not specifically seafood. (Do Bacchanalia if money is no object.)

Also, thanks mindphlux and Centurium! I'm definitely gonna check those places out, I really appreciate the recs. And no, gently caress fondant forever :colbert: Well, I've actually had some cakes made with it that were okay, but I don't particularly want it on mine at all.

And I have to check out Cake Hag, absolutely love the name.

Neena
May 11, 2007

FISTS, Shit!
I'm in! Just me, since I don't think my fiancé will be able to make it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neena
May 11, 2007

FISTS, Shit!
Hell yeah, that was a lot of fun. The food was great and I'll definitely be back. I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to talk to the people on the other end of the table (I was the redhead chick sitting on the end near Landrobot), but it was fun to chat with those around me! And thanks for the real estate/neighborhood advice. Maybe this will be the year we finally get out of OTP :)