Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
I am single, so I will be eating leftover stuffed acorn squash and drinking. Also experimenting with making hamburger buns.

On another note, what is your favorite taqueria? I have seen a few pop up in the last year or so. Bad Dog, Red Pepper, Perla, and OMG Tacos. Not to mention Bone Garden, and Hankook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
There are a few places further south of there that might work. Escorpion, Takorea, and the Cypress Pint and Plate. They may not be large enough though.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

godzirraRAWR posted:

Unsure of where else to put this, but I saw it come across my RSS feed, and will probably end up going:

http://www.pinestreetmarket.com/collections/frontpage/products/whole-hog-cooking-class

if anyone else is interested!

I just moved to Decatur. I will definitely be heading over there at some point soon.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

mindphlux posted:

I'm assuming you're all voting on July 31st. If not, you really should consider it. because gently caress traffic, and hurray beltline.

http://untieatlanta.com/the-solution/

I will be, but I need to get my information changed since I just moved. The registration deadline is July 2nd.

I only have a 6 mile or so commute, but Ponce sucks.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
All of this week The Brickstore is having their 15th anniversary. There is a guest chef each night and they are tapping some special kegs and casks. Tonight is Iberian Pig and some aged ales. Saturday looks interesting with Empire State South and Leons.

http://www.brickstorepub.com/events/

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
Never been, but I know others that go nuts over the brisket there at brunch.

I do like her other restaurant on Edgewood quite a bit, Sauced.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

kiresays posted:

Has anyone been to hankook Taqueria? I love the place. Great tacos, weird but good fries, gogi nachos.

http://www.hankooktaqueria.com/

I am currently at their other restaurant,Takorea right now. The menu is a bit larger, but more expensive. They are doing two dollar tacos today.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

mindphlux posted:

havannah on buford, las palmeras on 5th street. that's all I got in my book.

Las Palmeras changed owners and its name recently. A local food critic bought it and it is now called Cruzado.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

Webbeh posted:

Ammazza just opened up in the Old 4th Ward last night, I had a chance to go try some of their pizza. Fantastic.

Such a neat place, and I believe they get their liquor license today! Woo!

I drive by that place every day on my way home from work. I will have to stop by one night this week. If only to wait for traffic to die down a bit.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
I waste a lot of mine at the Brick Store and Takorea. Well, the two dollar tacos on Tuesdays.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Money spent at Brick Store is never wasted. :colbert:

Also, the cocktails at H&F are ridiculous. They're so small but they get you so drunk! (Also: birthday shot)

True, but living down the street from there has lightened my wallet on more than a few occasions.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

Oh, and by the way, McRib is back, at least at the McDonalds on Ponce.

(I know this represents the rarefied stratosphere of Atlanta cuisine.)

The McRib, like herpes, has an occasional flare up every now and then.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
Takorea (same people that own Hankook) are running a special for January. All tacos are two dollars during weekdays before two pm.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
I will definitely head down there this week since I can walk there, and the food sounds awesome.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
I am headed there on Thursday as well with a friend and her kids. I really have no excuse for not going there since I can walk there.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
Never been to Yeah Burger, but the several times I have gone to the Decatur Farm Burger I have been disappointed. The one in Buckhead was great though.

The burgers were cooked well done instead of medium, and the fries were limp and greasy. That may have changed in the last few months, but I get my burger fix from the Brick Store now.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
I have only gotten the take out from there, but I loved it. I am walking distance, so count me in.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
Any night works for me. I would offer parking, but my apartments lot fills up by seven. There are usually spots on the side street next to my complex and they are not permit parking. There are also several metered spots on N. Candler that are not monitored past six. It would be more of a walk, but I have found that parking by the restaurant blows goats.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
I will be there plus one.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

I've been to a place out on Buford Highway (duh), but I can't for the life of me remember where it is or what its called. I'll ask some friends.

If it just north of 285 on the right in a run down strip mall, it is probably hae woon dae.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
If I never went OTP I would never get my fill of Hae Woon Dae and Gu's Bistro. And that would be a drat shame.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
I started eating out more as my salary increased, but I still cook a fair amount. Moving to downtown Decatur sure has not loving helped. Should I cook, or go to one of the billion awesome restaurants four blocks from my apartment?

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

kuskus posted:

Kimball House (tumblr, instagram, facebook) opens up in Decatur on Wednesday night from the Leon's & Brick Store crews. Apparently 5pm-1am. I'll be there after work (before 7).

I plan on going around six that night. They will have some specials at their raw bar for happy hour. Dollar oysters is what I was told.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
Matt from the Brick Store as well

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
I will need to add a plus one to mine.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
I usually head to Takorea, but I am closer to that than I am Umma's. I may check it out since there is no other sushi place I know of near there.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

Landrobot posted:

Yes, we're all wearing our best fedoras, including the ladies.

If I see any MLP attire I may set someone on fire.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
I would be up for a monthly meet up for good food. I have friends that are into food, but they also have kids. Finding a babysitter can be a pain.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
I just got off work in Midtown, so parked at a bar near the office until traffic dies down.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

mindphlux posted:

I've posted this before, so sorry but -

does anyone know a place that does birria (mexican style goat) in atlanta?

I'd also settle for a good chivo taco. been looking, and just can't find anything. :(

edit : if you're ever in chicago, go. here. it. is. amazing. http://www.yelp.com/biz/birrieria-zaragoza-chicago

Bone Garden Cantina does a goat taco that was good. I used to work next door and ate there often.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

mindphlux posted:

lol >_<;;

http://atlanta.eater.com/archives/2014/01/03/west-midtown-dim-sum-spot-yum-bunz-has-closed.php

I only got food from there once, and it was mediocre, at best.

That was every reaction from every review I read about the place.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
I was there last night with my parents. My dad had the duck and loved it, but my mom said the veggies she had with her trout were a bit underdone and too crunchy (Sweet potatoes and radishes iirc). I had the sole, which was fantastic, but the veggies with it were just a tad off. My mom just mentioned it in passing to the server and they comped her dish, and gave her a creme brulee.

It was the first time I had eaten there (I usually just go there for cocktails).

Matt was super nice about the whole thing with my mom, and I will definitely be going back.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

mindphlux posted:

ate at takorea tonight - anyone have any opinions on that place?

it was packed which got me hopeful, and the banchan we had were all good - but the rest of the food pretty eh. some dry breastmeat fried chicken tacos, a slightly better beef based taco that was inexplicably also dry. a ho-hum food-court-esque bibimbap with some shrimp, some queso dip with gochujang in it......

dunno. wasn't terrible, and wasn't very expensive, I just wasn't feeling the inspiration. felt pretty corporate, safe, and boring. like if chipolte had korean flavors. which I guess is probably what they are going for.

I usually go there for lunch since it around the corner from my office. I think the chicken is quite bland, but the pork belly and calamari are quite good. The fish is hit or miss, but their bbq pork is really good.

I usually go for the shrimp, calamari, and sometimes the veggie one. The bimbimbap is the same as the one at Hankook, but 3 bucks more and not the greatest I have had.

They used to do a daily noodle special that was always different, and 9 times out of 10, absolutely delicious. I think they changed a lot of stuff to try and get more non-adventurous diners in.

Still, two dollar tacos on Tuesdays is a steal.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

venutolo posted:

Should we organize another ATL goon food eat up? I'll throw out BBQ at Community Q or Saturday brunch at One Eared Stag as suggestions I could organize. For those that don't eat meat, Community Q has a really good salad, so it wouldn't necessarily exclude non-carnivores.

I could do a Sunday brunch somewhere, but a Community Q night sounds good.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
I would be up for one as well. So what establishment should we hit up?

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

AgentHaiTo posted:

Who has the best fries in Atlanta? My pregnant wife has sudden craving, and that was her exact request...

I was thinking Farm Burger or Yeah Burger maybe. I don't really eat fries(and usually neither does she), so I'm not sure. Just go to Five Guys maybe?

I am partial to Leon's in Decatur.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

venutolo posted:

I did my seemingly annual visit to Yeah Burger to see if I still don't care for it, and I still don't.

If they altered the ratios of the types of beef that go into their ground beef, I think it'd be salvageable for me. Their current mixture just isn't that good. And it would be nice if they cooked the patties a bit better like developing a crispy char and crunch.

The place is also pricey. I think my meal of a Yeah Burger, a comped side of fries, and a bottle of soda was $15 and change. If I had paid for the fries, it would be have been over $18. So a $18 burger/fries/drink and I'd rather have gone to Five Guys.

Why couldn't Grindhouse have opened a location near me instead of Yeah Burger? :sigh:

You're on the west side of town, right? If the Flip location on howel mill still open? I know they turned the HD2 location on n highland into one.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
I've never been to either one. Based on the reviews, I am kind of glad I didn't. I really want to try the burger at One Eared Stag, but every time I make brunch plans on Sunday they fall through.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
Mediterranean Cafe at North Decatur is good for gyros, but I like it because it's close to my place.

There is a Chinese Indian place on Church St called Chinese Dhaba that blends Indian spices and Chinese food. They have two other locations in gwinnett too. Prices are good and I have not had anything I did not like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
I usually order the spiciest thing I can find because I don't value my intestinal tract.