Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

AgentHaiTo posted:

Anyone been to Curly's Chicken on Howell yet? http://curlysfriedchicken.com/

I'm thinking of going by for lunch.

It's drat good fried chicken, but it's no Le Roy's Fried Chicken (which used to be in the same spot, part owned by the Fellini's / La Fonda folks). My guess is that Le Roy's was just too fussy and expensive, even though you got a loving huge piece of chicken, and it was so delicious that it could drive a person insane. I hope that she (Julia Le Roy) goes on to do some other good things.

Here's a restaurant I haven't seen on the list thus far (a travesty): H. Harper Station on Memorial Drive in Reynoldstown, on the Beltline. It's a former train station, and the decor reflects that in a really lovely way. Their menu is small and changes seasonally, but I've never had a bad dish there (the pork belly(?) I had there last week was groin-grabbingly transcendent). Their cocktail menu is huge, and a lot of the drinks are unique to the establishment. My personal favorite is The Girl From the North Country, a gin-based drink with thyme, lemon, and an egg white froth on top.

Downsides: pricey, valet parking on weekends, pretty far from most places where people live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

kontona posted:

i went to le roy's a couple of times before it closed.

i thought it was just decent to be honest. you get a giant piece of chicken, and le roy has clout, but it didn't live up to the hype. plus the sides were pretty weak.

I'll give you that; their mac and cheese was pretty dull. I thought their collards were tasty, though. Maybe I don't get enough fried chicken, but I'd argue that their fried chicken surpassed the hype.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Can anyone recommend a good (ideally not too expensive) restaurant in the Emory, Druid Hills, Decatur, or Midtown areas (with ample parking) that would handle a party of about 20 well? I'm drawing blanks.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

That's entirely fair. I'm not really thinking this through.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

crm posted:

Maybe something a Llittle more cozy?

Might give their brunch a shot though.

Edit: the wife says she wants seafood. So fancy seafood restaurants in Atlanta... go!

Going Coastal can be cozy if you don't go on a Wednesday and they put you in a nice big booth in the back. Depending on what their specials are, it can be quite good.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

venutolo posted:

I've been there a few times and enjoyed it. I once went by myself and they looked at me very funny, presumably because it is kind of a group thing, but I ate a ton of meat and was happy.

I'm trying to find some good place to eat breakfast/brunch on the weekends. I typically want to go eat breakfast/brunch by myself somewhere between 10am and noon, but all the places near me I can think of are the type of place that are really busy with groups of people and typically require a long wait (Urban pL8, West Egg, etc). Recently I've just sort of given up and go to Einstein Bros since I do enjoy a bagel with cream cheese and lox, but I'd prefer to go somewhere I can order more than one thing. So does anyone have any suggestions for a decent weekend breakfast/brunch places near-ish Midtown that aren't jammed?

Java Jive on Ponce and Rise N Dine in Emory Village are my go-to weekend breakfast places. Rise-N-Dine might have a 30 minute wait for a two top around noon on Saturday, but a single seat at the bar is pretty easy to come by (I've never waited more than 5, maybe 10 minutes when I'm by myself).

Java Jive has a weird parking lot behind the building, is cash only, and has a limited menu, but tends to be pretty tasty. They don't have a bar, but they've been perfectly happy to accommodate my lonesome rear end when I walk in. They've got a bunch of two tops, and one table that's a two top in name only but gets really cramped if more than one person sits there. Wait can get a little gnarly, but is generally <15 minutes.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

venutolo posted:

Assuming that was intended at me, will do.

Likewise, me too.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Webbeh posted:

Have you been on a Ponce City Market tour yet? It's fantastic (and free)!

http://www.poncecitymarket.com/home

I work across the street from there. How do I make a tour happen?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

How does Miss Anne's rate?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I want to complain for a moment about West Egg. My girlfriend and I went out there for breakfast on Sunday. I had the pulled pork benedict, and my girlfriend had the short rib hash. They were both just okay. It felt like West Egg had all the right components, but the reason they had all the right components is that they're trendy, not because they had a very good idea what to do with them. Anyone else get that impression?

That said, their grits are great.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Oh, hey, Mindphlux, when you get a chance, you should modify the OP. Chef Santiago closed Super Pan; I don't think it was getting the traffic he expected.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

They also ownare partnered with the Yumbii food trucks. Head on down to Stoveworks on Krog St. tomorrow for lunch; you'll usually find them there.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at Aug 14, 2012 around 18:38

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

venutolo posted:

I think you can pretty much just say "I had the [food item] at La Fonda. Very bland, not impressed". I've always thought their stuff was pretty mediocre and bland.

I consistently enjoy their sandwiches, especially Bocadilla Latino, con Bistek, and con Chorizo. The one on Ponce is nice, especially the balcony. It can get windy, but the atmosphere overlooking the city in the evening is enjoyable.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

WaterIsPoison posted:

What are some decent Cuban places?

If you're just into the sandwiches, there's the Crazy Cuban on 14th st. It's like Kool Korners, but you don't have to drive all the way out to Birmingham. There's another location up on Powers Ferry Rd, but I've never been to that one.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

venutolo posted:

In my opinion Crazy Cuban kind of stinks

My lunch says "gently caress you."

I respect and value your opinion.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I did a cursory search of this thread and I didn't see anything, so I'm going to recommend Tasty China in Marietta. Hot drat, their Szechuan cuisine is amazing. When I go, I recommend:
- Dan Dan noodles (beef or pork)
- Dry Fried Crispy Eggplant with Hot Numbing Pepper
- Dry Fried Beef with Hot Numbing Pepper
- Shan City Chicken (hot as gently caress)

They have some pretty vanilla American-Chinese food too, for your less spice-loving friends.

It's been mentioned a couple times previously, but I want to throw my hat into the ring for Canoe as well. I made reservations for me and my girlfriend following her MCAT last Thursday. On the OpenTable reservation, I mentioned that she would have just taken her MCAT, and I wanted to do something nice for her. Our waitress went out of her way to ask my girlfriend how the test went, and had "Congratulations!" written in chocolate sauce on our desert. The food was just top notch, by the way. It's pricey, but worth it every once in a while.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I know it doesn't help you now, but I can say nothing bad about the Bella B&B in Danielsville, GA.
http://bellabedandbreakfast.com/

I did a wine tasting at the attached vineyard, and it was quite a lot of fun (and I'm not really a wine person).

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

mindphlux posted:

looks good, thanks for the suggestion. though man, danielsville looks like it's smack dab in the middle of nowhere - is there fun stuff to do in that area of georgia?

Eh. It's like 30 minutes to Athens, so there's that, and like 15-20 minutes from the Tanger Outlets if you like reasonably discounted shopping. It's also pretty close to Tallulah Gorge State Park if you like hiking. The winery throws a party-type-event every now and again, and that sounded pretty fun.

Honestly, it was just nice to get out of the house for a night and watch Princess Bride in someone else's bed while drinking cheap college town liquor.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I grew up in Tucker, and I can second Los Hermanos. I also enjoy Enzo's Pizza on Hugh Howell.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

So I hear they're opening a Delia's Chicken Sausage stand at the corner of Northside Dr. and Marietta St. I graduated too early, I tells ya.
http://atlanta.eater.com/archives/2...tractions-5.php

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Warning! The restaurant in this post is well outside of the Atlanta Metropolitan Statistical Area. Be prepared to drive an hour or more if you want to eat or drink there.

While the forums were down, I took a little road trip and checked out King Skinny Pimp's coffee shop. I have to say, I'm seriously impressed. The decor is warm and relaxing, it's spacious, and there was a big stack of Wired magazines to read. I had a hummus wrap that was really something special -- humus and fresh veggies on a tortilla, folded up into sort of a sandwich form factor. It was simple, but super tasty. I wish that whole shop could be dropped somewhere along my commute so I could become a regular.

KSP, I don't know if you were there, but I was the guy in the highlighter yellow motorcycle jacket this morning.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at Sep 25, 2012 around 14:27

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Oh god I'm sorry I took a motorcycle ride out to King Skinny Pimp's coffee shop and then complimented her on it.

Edit: I edited my previous post to let everyone know not to get their hopes up.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at Sep 25, 2012 around 14:32

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

venutolo posted:

My friend has a restaurant in Clarkesville, but he's a guy, so who cares?

Safety Dance posted:

Warning! The restaurant in this post is well outside of the Atlanta Metropolitan Statistical Area. Be prepared to drive an hour or more if you want to eat or drink there.

Is it a good or otherwise noteworthy restaurant in Clarkesville?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Victory Sandwich Bar on Elizabeth St makes a mean 'witch. It's a pretty hipster joint and it's been a while since I've been there, but if I recall correctly, their Beast on Yeast is tasty and not too pricey.

Has anyone tried Bell St. Burritos, newly opened on Irwin St in the Old 4th Ward?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

mindphlux posted:

Katie swears by bell street. I've had their meat ones and they were pretty good, but she gets these green chile vegetarian ones, and I gotta say - they're pretty amazing for having no meat.

I might have to try this for lunch. I was trying to decide between a burrito and bibimbap from the place where OMG Taco used to be.

Edit: It's still OMG Taco. Google was wrong.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at Oct 17, 2012 around 18:06

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

User 37668 posted:

No breweries downtown. I'm sure the land would be way to expensive for the kind of space a brewery would need.

Isn't the 5 Seasons Brewery on Marietta St an actual brewery, or does that not count as downtown? There's also Gordon Biersch, but that's solidly in Midtown. (Sorry, I judge "downtown" based on walkability from Ga Tech, whereas I should judge it based on walkability from Ga State. Also, my concept of walkability is skewed because I like long walks.)

User 42846 posted:

I'm staying at The W, Downtown(45 Ivan Allen Jr. Boulevard) so I would prefer suggestions within walking distance.

I'm looking for suggestions for:
-Late night dinner/drinks on a Wednesday
-2 breakfasts within walking distance
-a great lunch,
-a quick lunch within walking distance of the conference (The Georgia World Congress Center, 285 Andrew Young International Blvd, NW)

Wednesday dinner/drinks: take a cab to 4th and Swift, H. Harper Station, or 2 Urban Licks. Of the three, H. Harper station is a little bit more of a haul but it gets my recommendation.

Breakfasts: Have one at the hotel. If that doesn't suck, then hooray! If it does, then you're driving for anything worthwhile or grabbing something from the CNN Center, which has an okay food court and is part of the GWCC complex.

Quick lunch: CNN Center unless you're trying to impress a client or something.

Great Certainly pretty good lunch: Check out the No Mas Cantina, which is in the Castleberry Hill neighborhood. There's a decent sushi place there too. Probably a 30 minute walk / 5 minute drive from where you are.

Edit: If you want to walk around and explore, definitely stay east of Northside Drive and north of MKL for the most part (exception: Castleberry Hill, which is mostly artists nowadays). You're in a nice section of town, but it gets un-nice pretty rapidly in those directions.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at Oct 18, 2012 around 22:24

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

mindphlux posted:

not a gazillionaire, and I eat at 1-2 places like that a week.

I think I figured out why you're not a gazillionaire.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

nadav posted:

Any recommendations for a "nice" (romantic) place for like $50 per person? Anywhere in town or north side. I know there's a lot that fits the criteria. Thinking about Canoe.

Canoe is a very nice choice, but you might be brushing against the $50/person limitation. Check out H. Harper Station (although I have really no sense of romance, so I can't tell you how romantic it is).

Edit: I'm going to change my answer to Top Flr as well. Never been there, but I've heard nice things from friends.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at Oct 30, 2012 around 13:10

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Grapevine has it that Deckard's American Tavern on Ponce closed.

Eulogy: The food was pretty good for the price, I guess, and their beer list was above average. We'll have to find another place for lunchtime work functions.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

What's the deal with the Holeman & Finch burger? Do people just start queuing up around 9, or do you get on a list, or do you just slug it out at 10, or what? I ask because my girlfriend wants to try it someday and my anxiety about things like these makes me worry I'll commit a faux pas.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Agreed. And prepare to be underwhelmed.

Pretty much.

The girlfriend said, apropos of nothing, "Let's go to Holeman & Finch," this morning. We went, we waited, we were seated, and she ordered a burger. I ordered some sort of poached egg dish. Out came two burgers, but the food runner was gracious when I said, "No, I didn't order that," and she took them back. Our waiter came out and explained that he accidentally keyed in two burgers. I didn't want to make a stink, so I just accepted the burger. They were good by cheeseburger standards, but nothing special and not what I wanted.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I have a friend in town, and I haven't seen her in ages. She's staying up in Alpharetta. Is there anything worth going out of my way for up there?

Constraints:
  • She's nominally vegetarian, but will eat chicken. Not sure about fish. No beef, pork, or shellfish.
  • I'd like to keep it in the $20/diner range, maybe a bit more.
  • Ideally somewhere not terribly noisy.

If I had my druthers I'd just take her to H. Harper Station and just pay for everything, but they're closed on Mondays (bastards). Maybe Figo; it's not spectacular, but it's solid.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at Nov 19, 2012 around 20:37

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Any word on Harbor Bar and Fish House? They have a 50% off coupon on Scoutmob now. If there's a chance I can get my oyster fix on locally, I'll take it.

Any other places have good (raw, inexpensive, and not-likely-to-make-me-throw-up) oysters?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Harbor Bar in Decatur: Good. Definitely better than Goin' Coastal, in my mind.

We arrived at 8:30 on a Saturday night, and they had a 20 minute wait. They had just run a Scoutmob deal, so that probably had something to do with it. I got a couple of drinks from the bar (Hurricane Punch -- $8.50 fruity punch with a bunch of liquors in it) and sat on the porch with my girlfriend until a table opened up for us. Our waiter came by immediately and took our orders (house made soft pretzels and a dozen raw oysters to start, I got Fish and Chips and my girlfriend got a Low Country Boil).

He brought out some crackers for us shortly thereafter, and I thought, "Wow, that's quick." Nope. We sat staring at crackers for a good ten minutes before the oysters came out. A little small as oysters go (although I'm used to Panama City Beach oysters), but they smelled and tasted fresh and were served ice cold and on ice. The pretzels came out at the same time. They were good-but-not-spectacular, but were complimented nicely by the dipping sauces, mustard and fondue.

Our entrees came out in a reasonable amount of time. The portions were big, the crab was cooked very nicely (juicy), and my Fish'n'Shrimp'n'Oysters'n'Chips'n'Slaw were everything I expected. Very similar to the Fish and Chips at Napoleon's, which makes sense, since they're owned by the same people as far as I understand. I would have liked to see a shaker of Old Bay seasoning at the table like you see in Baltimore, but then again I'd be happy if you gave be a big bowl of Old Bay and stuff to dip into it.

All in all, it was reasonably priced given how expensive seafood gets in non-coastal towns. I'd go again, most definitely.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Oh, and by the way, McRib is back, at least at the McDonalds on Ponce.

(I know this represents the rarefied stratosphere of Atlanta cuisine.)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I've got a hankering for a really nice tuna steak, seared on the outside but rare as heck on the inside. Any idea who does a good one?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Radiohead71 posted:

Yeah, I ate at Canoe twice this week. I would say good but not great.

Yeah, and the Gallardo LP 560-4 Spyder gets worse fuel mileage than the hard top. Why are you eating at Canoe several times a week?

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at Jan 21, 2013 around 14:37

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Sureal posted:

Nakato is the place to go for Japanese and also has very good Sushi. The Albert has some very good smoked wings. As far as high end goes, it may be sort of fadish but I've always had a great (5-course) meal at Woodfire Grill.

I was disappointed by the Albert's wings, even before I knew they were supposed to be good. I prefer the wings at The Grove.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Unfounded Twitter rumor has it that Miso Izakaya may be discontinuing their ramen lunch. Confirm/Deny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

RHIN0002 posted:

We ended up going to The Iberian Pig and The Brickstore Pub.

You got the better part of that deal.

venutolo posted:

I went to Chef Todd Ginsberg's new place, The General Muir, this past Saturday for lunch.

I live right around the corner from that place (almost -- less than a mile up Briarcliff), and I haven't seen it when I drive past. Where is it?

«3 »