Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

Java Jive on Ponce and Rise N Dine in Emory Village are my go-to weekend breakfast places.

We likely see each other often. Or at least, did, when I was a bit fatter and more carefree.
In any case, Java Jive will sort of reward you for being a regular and they'll know what you like within a couple of visits, but they are cash only. There are a handful of two-tops that are fine for people going solo, but aside from the retro ambiance and reliably good spiced quick breads and lemon curd or their southwestern scramble, I can't see you eating there often. At Rise N Dine I sit at the bar and read up on development crap that I'll use that day. There's like zero wait for the bar and one of the girls will make you a cafe au lait that will generally knock your socks off. I can't get enough of the polish scramble because I have a stupid Czech chin on my face and I like pierogies and sausage. If you're feeling super hungry, their bananas and cream is a good appetizer because it's bananas and cream. Send me a PM if you want to get breakfast here on a Sat before noon.

The bacon at Sun in my Belly has delicious, evil orange oil that makes any breakfast have a less than ten minute permanence in my guts. Just say no. Either way you will leave reeking of bacon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Brickstore update: still have the crispy duck for a while, but they're out of _exactly_ mah prepared beer list. If you plan on stopping by shoot me a PM. I have 2 hour to kill in the square.

Edit:
omfg the duck / kimchi / fried dirty rice balls

kuskus fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 1, 2012

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I heard the Empire dude did 50 dishes of duck and Josh Lyman got the LAST one and cleaned his plate, they were busy, it's still hot, I'm still riding on Mikkeller Black 17.5%. They just broke out a fresh Breakout stout Oreo cask and I had to have a pint.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

mindphlux posted:

shaun doty's new place, bantam & biddy got written up in the ajc recently. sounds ok - anyone been?

Went there 6 weeks ago. I was excited about the concept. The presentation was pretty good but the chicken was dry and the sides we picked were all bland. Our table was excited about the tiny pies, but they weren't special at all either. Vanilla applesauce was as lame as it sounds. Fried green tomatoes were pretty good? The accompanying sauce tasted like a penny. I feel silly saying so, but that jalepeno bread was the best part. Maybe their concept was reduced by the sadness of Ansley Mall. I hear they do table service now, which I feel is totally unnecessary for the size of the place (and for being next to a Starbucks, Moe's, and Panera). Anyway, I liked the Figo approach.

Trip report photo:

TL;DR- In that neighborhood I guess I'd go to Fat Matt's or the Colonnade instead. Except that I wouldn't because "chicken dinner" is stupid and I'm not Southern so who cares?

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Mary Mac's Tea Room makes me feel like I'm on a ventilator tube of grandma farts. Recently I was in Nashville and had lunch at Monell's, which is basically family style "COME AS STRANGERS LEAVE AS FRIENDS" flat-price group seating where you pass around dishes as they come out of the kitchen. Aside from the immediate awkwardness of being crammed in with local lunch-hour office ladies, the food was all really savory and flavorful. These felt like tasteful family recipes culled over a century of iterations. Would eat again. I haven't eaten at a place like that in ITP of Atlanta that I'd recommend, which is why an out of town friend wanted to try Bantam & Biddy to see if it could jolted her back to her childhood eats.

I'm embarrassed that I haven't tried Carver's. Maybe tomorrow.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I've really enjoyed DBA Barbecue's wings which I believe are smoked and flash fried (they apparently offer Sunday chicken prepared with this method as "Smok-N-Fried"). The Albert's wings disappointed me also. The waitstaff recommended them "fresh from the smoker" but they were anything but bitterly-spiced soggy wings.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Wow, you weren't kidding.

Anything in particular you favor?

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

Unfounded Twitter rumor has it that Miso Izakaya may be discontinuing their ramen lunch. Confirm/Deny?

Every time my mates go for lunch they're already "out" of ramen. I don't understand how this could happen repeatedly aside from artificially. It must be a big todo or loss leader for them; IDK.

Venutolo, you've really, really got me jonesing for a reuben now and I've been so good about not eating out and/or meat during the week because of YLLS reasons.

That said, Bone Lick BBQ's Austin-Tacious sandwich is really goddamn good.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I had Miso ramen lunch and talked to the Miso man. The place was at 70% of their curtained-off capacity at 12:10 and down to 3 people including me at the bar by 12:40. Regarding whether or not they'll continue lunch, the man sez: "We go back and forth about it; it's really hit or miss." He doesn't know how long they'll continue as he can never predict on a given day whether they either sell out or it's entirely dead, but more recently it's been dead. If he could keep capacity coming, he'll keep doing it. It was delicious. He likes the days when there isn't enough ramen left for _him_ to eat lunch. Sounds like they make two gigantic batches? I was served mighty quickly.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

venutolo posted:

ticket price is now $50.

I think I'm in.

Edit: Surprised team hidi doesn't get in on this to comprehensively say "gently caress all cancer / good food has value". I probably overlooked it if they are.

kuskus fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 22, 2013

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

I'll be on motorcycle and I can't guarantee everything will remain right-side-up in the 20 or so minutes it takes to get back to my office?
5x 20oz gladlock containers are like $2.37 at Target this week. :mmmhmm:
Mine are currently housing lunch.

Loosely-related: at IKEA Atlanta (horsebeef warning) over President's Day, one could deduct the cost of cafeteria items from your furniture bill on same visit. I didn't acknowledge the possibilities of this because I'm not crazy. However, the lines in the cafeteria (I needed photo frames and a snack) were huge, and every person had trays FULL of food, every juice bottle, every cookie and pre-wrapped plate. They were buying... food for the week from the IKEA ready-made cafeteria. They were stuffing purses, sweatpants, etc. and had depleted the leftover containers from the kitchen section just for this event. I don't love the meatballs that much.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I'm sadder that the new owners asked Steady Hand to leave the connected space next door. They're the only place I've found in Atlanta that offers vacuum pot brewing and they do so without batting an eyelash. No one honestly need to put that much effort into coffee (6-7 min of active effort plus a flame source and well-timed blowing), but it's a lovely thing to have access to and truly worth tip dollars.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

deep13 posted:

+1 for Java Jive. Very consistent - aside from the weekly special (singular), I don't think they've updated their menu since I started going there ~3 years ago.
Jave Jive has been my old standby for this reason. Super consistent. I'll buy their beans occasionally; not sure where they get them or where they roast them but I enjoy them. I never witnessed someone guffaw so hard before I performed a faux pas there- last winter while getting on my winter coat I knocked down some of their paper streamers. I swore I heard a record scratch. One bearded geezer found this uproarious and let the entire place know that streamer had been hanging "since the beginning."

On venutolo's suggestion we tried the General Muir on Sunday. Very good hash, pretty good latkes. Must go back for the corned beef, I saw it pass by and almost regretted my order.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

We went to Chai Pani on Saturday night. I think it's a very good addition to that area. They were out of a few things so we couldn't try anything with paneer or the behl, but our takeaway was that for main Indian dishes we still prefer Saravana Bhavan or Zyka (cheaper / less of a decorated "event"). We got out for around $55. We'll go again more than 50 minutes to closing on a Saturday night so they'll have more treats in stock. Incomplete attempt!

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I'd definitely be down.
We had a lime rickey there that took me back to childhood. At age 3 I used to wander out to a raspberry vine and deplete the harvest singlehandedly.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I'm game for Thursday with a tentative +1.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

-2 for Chai Pani. Sadly, I'm out (as is my +1).

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

mindphlux posted:

The pictures don't really look promising
Oh, something so covered in ketchup that it's barely visible? Surely looks European to me, or at least Slovakian. We have family there and they do you a "favor" by drowning your plate in ketchup first. At least with sausage and fry bread.

I would certainly try their döner.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I am willing to make a few cosmetic adjustments to myself to assume your identity by Sunday to continue your brunch streak.
Step #1- stilts / shoe risers.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Weren't you just saying that mapo tofu is the best food? It's apparently not better than the boiled water beef. Which is it? Organize a goon meet at the Chinese food court, Sichuan restaurant?

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Kimball House (tumblr, instagram, facebook) opens up in Decatur on Wednesday night from the Leon's & Brick Store crews. Apparently 5pm-1am. I'll be there after work (before 7).

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Is this the place where Brian from Brick Store and Miles from Leon's are defecting to?

To say the least.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Zenzirouj posted:

I'm freshly unemployed and need to skate by on my savings for a while.
You will likely feel bad about literally eating your savings, then. You can eat there sans beverage and get out for under $12-15 with tip and feel quite satisfied indeed, but if I was earning no money I wouldn't eat out period. That said- the regular reuben was too stiff and fatty for my taste (both would probably be solved by ordering the exact same thing moments later) but I've enjoyed the burger about 4 times and thinks it's absolutely tops. I believe you can also get it at Bocado, though.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Did anybody make it to Kimball House? I've worked every night until 2a, sadly. Miles' woman said they've been doing gangbusters though.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

18 potential guests in our party at GM seems seam-busting. You gonna confirm then freeze the form soon?

That whole block at Emory Point now smells like soap suds on the reg. As an aside, their flavored sodas are great. I had one with lunch the other day and a coworker had another. Similar to a lime ricky and not sickly sweet.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Why would it smell like soap? :confused:

Two doors down from the GM there's a cleaning place, and I don't think there's anywhere for their waste water to go except like, in front of the entrance (in back of the street). Most dumpsters also face the "entry" doors since there aren't really front doors on the side that faces Clifton. But basically, that block has an overwhelming soap aroma now.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Landrobot posted:

Three Taverns Tasting Room... never heard of it, but it just opened. A freakin Belgian style brewery in Atlanta?
I had one of their beers on the square and I think it was the bottom of a keg (it was limp and gross). Horrible way to sample a beer and they're very near me, I'd be happy to check it out with others.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I really like Little's Food Store for a burger. If you haven't been, it's a weird little market in cabbage town that has a 10-seat greasy spoon bar inside that you can saddle up at. You get the feeling that you're not at all cool enough / poor enough to be there, but shake it off and get an extremely modestly priced burger stack. I bike there with friends sometimes 'cause parking is a bit scarce.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I just found out I can't make it. I hope you guys have a great time.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

mindphlux posted:

Let me know if anyone can't make it, or if one or two other people want to slip in, we might have enough room (depending on +1s)
I'll try to come, so put me down. The only thing preventing me is that during the week, I tend to randomly work 12-16 hr days. I'll give it my all!

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Sadly, I can't remember the last time Daddy D'z was recommended by anyone.
I took a few BBQ fans to DBA on Sunday and everyone agreed the order of wings we split were the best they'd had in Atlanta. Smoked then fried, they're tasty and plump.
I can't say the same for their pulled pork. It was fine, but not mindblowing. Maybe it's a per-pig thing. I still love their creamed corn, and I don't love any creamed corn.

Kimball House has been stellar twice for cocktails and oysters; the food itself hasn't been anything special for me. Lukewarm and bland for the price despite being things I wouldn't think to order elsewhere.

Sun In My Belly's eggs benedict with chipotle hollandaise over roasted sweet potatoes and greens is so drat yummy. Spicy and sweet. Please tell me about good breakfast things you've had recently that aren't at The General Muir.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

roobots posted:

I've got an anniversary dinner coming up in March and I'm looking for restaurant recommendations. We did Miller Union last year and were blown away by how good it was. Right now I'm looking at Kimball House and Better Half, but I'm definitely open to suggestions.

We went to Empire State South for their Valentine prix fixe menu and it was definitely a treat exploring new small plates of flavor together but a little salty at a couple hundo with cocktails. All pretty interesting (duck confit was like slices of filet mignon, scallops were impossibly sublime) but honestly, I loved Steady Hand Pour House (RIP) so much that I was happy to see the crew again in the corner at ESS and had to order coffee. Coffee for me was better than nearly all the dishes because I loving love coffee. Back on topic: why not stay in Decatur at 246? If you wanted it to be super duper special you could reserve the chef's counter. Otherwise just go and have a good meal. You could also go a door or two down and less busy still a bit cozy and elegant at Café Alsace.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

L0cke17 posted:

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for good restaurants nearby, with the catch being that I am significantly lactose and gluten intolerant, and allergic to most seafood. Pretty much all I eat out now is steak, bbq, and chinese, which are the only places I know of where I can consistently find something safe on the menu.
How about Indian food. There should be plenty of dishes without cream, and when ghee is in use instead of butter it's all fat and no milk solids (or few). Try Saravana Bhavan.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

mindphlux posted:

hurray we're under contract to buy a house in cabbagetown, right next to the krog st bridge.
Octane / Little Tart on Memorial has cheddar waffles with sorghum syrup in the mornings sometimes, it's pretty yummy and nearishby. Were I in your position I'd bike there with high frequency. I already do so from Decatur.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I drive by Burnt Fork BBQ all the time, but never tried until Saturday. I'm curious what venutolo thinks of the ribs. High contrast bark / meat, but the bark may be just thick seasoning that's charred in. In any case, I left a nice pile of bones. I'll be back. Their brisket was 90% fat, there was no actual meat to eat, but everything else was par or better. Pulled pork a win.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

venutolo posted:

I saw your Foursquare check-in and was going to ask you about that.
I took friends back to Burnt Fork on Saturday, got a half-rack. All in party got ribs, 1/4, 1/2, or full slab. All were excellent. It's like each rib is a dense roast wrapped around bone with seasoned exterior.
If youse guys like ribs, check 'em out.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I finally tried Miller Union with m'lady last night. The cocktail menu seemed very simple and fresh, relying on few ingredients (i.e. "bourbon, lemon, peach" for the Raphael Moses Sour). I could drink their cocktails all day. It's like your dad got behind the counter at Arden's Garden. I had the black grouper (kind of crispy fried) atop cucumber-sorrel water and was pleased. Favorite starter was farm egg baked in celery cream w/ toast, just because it reminded me of fried egg sandwiches as a childe.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I'm happy there's another good option on Marietta. My favorite thing at Delia's is the Jesus tacos. I don't know if they're still called that, but they're basically jalapeños & chicken sausage w/ shredded queso on corn tortillas. With tomatillo salsa.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Re: The Pig & The Pearl, it was OK for Atlantic station but not worth going to or experiencing Atlantic Station. I had a half rack and creamed corn and the ribs were sticky and lean; the corn was dead and flavorless. I won't go back.

If any of you know good places to get the following, holler:

Fuqi Feipian
Zhongzi
Hainanese Chicken and Rice
Beef noodle soup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Except there are 500 people in line. Wait a couple weeks. I walked here 4mi like a dummy. And everyone in line is entitled and whining. I smell makeup. I'd rather be at the pig & the pearl. Help me.

EDIT: it's really loving good

kuskus fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 4, 2014