Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Have any of you guys ever been to the Grindhouse Burgers fancypants tuesday thing? Is it worth anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

13Pandora13 posted:

:colbert: There is absolutely good food outside the perimeter. Kinyobee

If I'm recommending Japanese outside the perimeter, I'm recommending Bishoku. On Pleasant Hill you also have a better option than Kinyobee in Haru Ichiban, which is in a shopping center at the corner of Pleasant Hill and Satellite Blvd.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I honestly really enjoy Gladys and Ron's

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Thai Bowl / Rice Bowl is pretty good stoner food

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Is there a place that is sushi avenue convenient but without 20 cream cheese maki

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Zenzirouj posted:

Any of you familiar with Shoya next to the Super H Mart on Peachtree Industrial? I've been there a couple of times on the suggestion of a friend and it seems pretty good, though fairly pricey.

If what you want is a pretty fun time with decent actual Japanese food then they're pretty good. At the end of the day though if you are going for the food instead of the izakaya experience, you're better off elsewhere. I find it's best with like 8 people.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Anyone up on catering?

I am going to get married here in Atlanta sometime in the next uhhh year I guess. I'm looking for decent/good restaurants that cater or take 50+ people for a reception. I have felt pretty meh about food options my friends have gone with from locations that are expensive and require approved caterers from a list. Our thinking is that for 50 or 60 bucks a person, we can just get a shitload of food from a local restaurant that does massive takeout orders. Alternatively there are some prix fixe menus out there that would be awesome.

We have a few ideas right now but what do you guys suggest? Nothing's too unfancy, one of our ideas is Taqueria Del Sol.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 17, 2012

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I am thinking about treating the bridesmaids and groomsmen at my wedding to a fancy schmancy dinner as their wedding gift. What's the best place under 75 bucks/person where you can get people to eat without being concerned with price of what they're getting? Prix fixe works. Alternatively, the best bang for your buck and I can get them something supplemental?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

mindphlux posted:

'without being concerned with the price of what they're getting'?

Of course any money that doesn't get spent is a nice bonus, but I don't want my friends to feel weird about getting the 30 dollar entree that they want instead of getting the 16 dollar entree that would be alright. I'm setting this money aside so I want them to get what they actually want, regardless of the price. Menus without prices on them would work, or prix fixe, or something like that.

If 75/pp is more than I need, then where do you think the best place for a table of 8 would be? My only experience with restaurants that only list prices in whole dollars is limited only to Ecco, Woodfire Grill, and 4th & Swift so far.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Nah, fancy isn't really a dealbreaker, food quality is what it's about. I don't care if you artfully smear seasonally appropriate puree of something on my plate, if it doesn't taste good it doesn't matter. If you could taste decoration, Ru San's wouldn't need a lunch buffet.

Really what I mean by fancy is that it's a special occasion for most of my friends including myself to eat anywhere with dishes more complex than what you'd find at Front Page News or Bone Garden Cantina - not that there's anything wrong with those places at all, I'm a big fan. My standard for a good gift is something someone would like but wouldn't regularly buy for themselves, and a really good dining experience hits the spot there in my opinion.

I'm definitely interested in Restaurant Eugene seeing as they have a tasting menu right at 75, but thanks for the other suggestions too!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I tried Sprig out today and drat if it wasn't better than it was priced. The highlight was a banana pudding for dessert that was infused with some kind of bourbon flavor and made with homemade vanilla wafers. I highly recommend it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Anyone going to the atlanta street food festival this weekend besides me? http://www.atlantastreetfoodfestival.com/

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Grindhouse is my favorite just plain loving burger and their fries are great too, you're all nuts.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

13Pandora13 posted:

Okay, I had a godawful week and I need some foodie therapy. I'm broke so I'd like to stay in Lawrenceville-Snellville-Lilburn ish and not spend a lot of money. My favorite sushi joint closed (Kinyobee =( ) but really anything cheap and amazing is fine.

Umaido, Haru Ichiban, and Sushi Avenue should be near you, all reasonably priced in my opinion. Kinyobee was never all that good in my opinion. I live in that area too, what kind of food are you looking for? Specifically sushi?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

If we're talking lower end on the price scale I really enjoy Taqueria Los Hermanos in Tucker for mexican.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

angst emotion posted:

Thread, can you recommend a place for dim sum? I'm assuming somewhere on Buford Highway, but I haven't been out that way for a few years.

Canton House is pretty good in this goon's opinion

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I was able to get out of 4th and Swift for about 50 bucks, getting a midrange entree and a nice salad.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Whats the current state of good Atlanta sushi? Hachiguchi Jr closed, what's the next place to look at?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I went to Chai Pani yesterday with a couple of people who lived in India for years doing archaeological field work. I had the fish curry thali, they had some uddapam. Good reviews, I thoroughly enjoyed my thali was didn't have enough room to finish. They really liked it an praised the authenticity of it although they didn't like the prices because they would pay like 2 dollars for one on the street. :P

The only low point for anyone was that they thought something was off about the Limca soda.

a+++ would eat again

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I'll go if it's on a thursday

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Prefer 24th

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I loving love Shoya. And here's the super secret, too- It might look like you're intended to just order a bunch of appetizer stuff, but the entrees are also amazing. I've seen a lot of people hype up umaido in this thread for ramen, and they're good if you just want ramen and happen to be in Suwanee, but for my money Shoya's ramen is just as good if not better (I prefer Shoya's noodles)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Neena posted:

I keep meaning to go to Local Three, especially since I love Muss & Turners so much. If any of you find yourself otp you should definitely check them out, by the way.

We have a tasting scheduled next week at Sun in My Belly, to potentially have them cater our wedding. Funnily enough we got that scheduled before we actually made it out to the restaurant to eat, but I've heard nothing but good things about them from everybody I've talked to. I'm thinking of just asking them to do a chefs choice of stuff that would be seasonal in Oct. Anyone else had their catering?

Also, is it customary to have the catering do the wedding cake as well? I figure I'll ask about their cake options next week, but if anyone has bakery suggestions I'd like to hear them. We're not going for anything too insane or ornate, I really just want it to be awesome and delicious.

When I used a restaurant to cater my wedding (Taqueria del Sol) I used a separate bakery for the cake and there was no problem with that. They each have their specializations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

edit: and as soon as i knew i'd be going I knew I wasnt going :(

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

If it's at 8:45 I miiiight be able to make it. I hope nebulous head count is acceptible

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

What is the best market in Atlanta for buying fish for sushi or sashimi

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

They have really good mustard and pretzels

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

If you're in the area to pass by Mr. Taco, check out Jerusalem Bakery. Holy loving poo poo I love that place. It's on Old Milton

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

:(

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I owe one of my groomsmen his gift from over a year ago, and I'm finally gonna have the opportunity to buy him a fancy dinner this Saturday. I'd like to max out at 70 dollars per person, what's the good poo poo these days? Last time I asked this question the answer was Bacchanalia, Restaurant Eugene, and some other thing I can't remember. So far we've already eaten at Woodfire Grill and 4th & Swift. I actually preferred the latter myself, even if it was half as expensive. The only caveat is he doesn't drink and can't eat pork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

mindphlux posted:

afro-dish in the sweet auburn curb market is really good. get the goat curry with fried plantains.

It's really incredible