Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

:colbert: There is absolutely good food outside the perimeter. Kinyobee off of Pleasant Hill is amazing. Worth braving the dragons for. Gwinnett has huge Korean, Bosnian, and varied Hispanic/Latino populations and there's a lot of great hole-in-the-wall restaurants with authentic foods. They're generally cheaper than downtown, parking is easy to find, and the small family-owned atmosphere is awesome. Don't knock outside the perimeter until you've given it a shot.

Since moving back to Atlanta-ish from DC I've been looking for some really great but not really expensive Middle Eastern food. Specifically Palestinian but really anything (Lebanese, Turkish, Persian, whatever). There's a few joints in Decatur (where I used to live) that aren't bad but they're pretty pricey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

godzirraRAWR posted:

Pho #1 for me.

But I really think that Pho is one of those things that unless its very terrible, you fall in love at the first place you try it.

If it counts for anything Pho #1 is like the 7th place I had pho and it's my favorite in the area as well.

mickeymickey posted:

Very true! And I have yet to find terrible pho. We tried out Pho Dai Loi tonight per Venutolo's suggestion and it was exactly what I wanted. Very similar to my regular pho place up in the Vietnamese/Korean neighborhood in northern VA where I lived.

'Sup DC/NoVA transplant, I'm from Alexandria. Did you ever go to that pho joint a couple blocks into the bad side of the Columbia Heights WMATA station (who's name currently escapes me)?

Atlanta food is pretty decent, my biggest complaint is the lack of Middle Eastern food (especially regional Palestinian/Jordanian/Syrian food) that was so plentiful around Falls Church. I went back up for my birthday and absolutely annihilated a plate of Damascus shawarma and meat pies.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

What area are you in? My dad and his friends are the exec board of New London brew club and they're all really great. New London swept most categories at Peach State this year so they're a really talented bunch too. My brother and I brew as well, it's kind of a family thing now. :3:

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

WaterIsPoison posted:

I live up in North Buckhead near Chastain Park.

Ah. New London is in Gwinnett so it might be a bit of a trek.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Okay, I had a godawful week and I need some foodie therapy. I'm broke so I'd like to stay in Lawrenceville-Snellville-Lilburn ish and not spend a lot of money. My favorite sushi joint closed (Kinyobee =( ) but really anything cheap and amazing is fine.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

signalnoise posted:

Umaido, Haru Ichiban, and Sushi Avenue should be near you, all reasonably priced in my opinion. Kinyobee was never all that good in my opinion. I live in that area too, what kind of food are you looking for? Specifically sushi?

Anything really. Sushi, Middle Eastern, Eastern European, Italian, German, Mexican, anything. I wasn't really impressed by Sushi Avenue but I'll definitely check out the other two, thanks!

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

So I have a Buckhead Restaurant Group gift card I need to use. I don't remember being particularly enamored with any of their restaurants, but it's been a while (years) since I've been to any of them. Reviews are kind of yo-yoish and I don't really know the food background of anyone giving them so I don't know how believable they are anyway. Any opinions as to which one to go to? I'm leaning towards Bistro Niko because I love French...but I love French so if it sucks I'm going to be really disappointed. Steak isn't my thing so probably not Chops (plus last time I was there their Brussels sprouts were inexcusably bitter/overcooked). Pricci's menu didn't really stand out to me. Veni Vidi Vici? Kyma? Niko?

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

So my uncle is a James Beard semi-finalist for Best Chef in the South :woop: Eugene's pastry chef is up for Best Pastry Chef. I don't think I've ever had dessert there so now I feel like I'm totally missing out.

Bacchanalia is up for Outstanding Chef and Outstanding Service, which isn't surprising. It'll be interesting to see what from Atlanta makes it to finals.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

venutolo posted:

Who is your uncle?

Peter Arpke. Uncle Pete. He used to be in a rock band and took up cooking to make money for the band, then he was like, "gently caress this, I love cooking." :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

Safety Dance posted:

Yeah, it was Hae Woon Dae. I should find an excuse to go back.

Does anyone know of any good Hot Pot places in town?

I love Cafe 101 (Buford Highway, duh) to death. In college my Chinese History professor (from Taiwan) took our class and I haven't been anywhere else for hot pot since.