Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

HD1 is pretty cool, too, apart from the cash register ordering. The wait can be a bit long, but I've never been disappointed by the food in all the times I've been. Worth checking out if you're in town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

he was at octane (grant park i think) earlier today too, apparently

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

RIP Super Pan's medio dia.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

I went to Southern Art last night with a friend in an attempt to get the ham smorgasbord similar to mindphlux. Unfortunately, the chef wasn't too receptive to the idea, so we had to settle for ordering them a la carte, which was still very good. Not sure I could even handle all dozen or so of their selection as the three we did order was a pretty decent portion of meat.

Other than the ham, though, the food was just okay; nothing special at all really. I had the duck and it was well cooked, and the pickled watermelon rind was tasty, but the farro was really bland and uninteresting. My friend had the fried chicken, and while it was good, it lacked any heat or spice to it, so it was pretty one dimensional. It was worth going to try, but I don't think I'd go back again. Ham bar concept is pretty great, though.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

The Porter smells like vomit. Went there once and did a pretty much immediate 180 because of the smell.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Went to Community Q the other day for lunch, and was surprised to see a 77 for their health inspection. If I remember correctly, they used to have a 100? A bit disconcerting, but the food was still good. Might be going to Fox Bros more often now, though.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Home was in the old Seeger's location so it had a lot to live up to, and never did, apparently. I remember reading poor reviews about it, and a lot of them were comparisons to Seeger's. Plus Home was a Tom Catherall restaurant, and I can't say that Here to Serve have done anything really innovative or interesting in quite some time.

Nevermind I was thinking of Posh. Though, Home did open in that same location after Posh.

Some old reviews:
Posh: http://clatl.com/atlanta/posh-the-emperors-new-restaurant/Content?oid=1266580
Home: http://www.accessatlanta.com/news/entertainment/dining/home/nQx7r/

jooky fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Feb 18, 2013

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

If you want to make the small trip slightly north to Suwanee, Umaido has really good ramen. Never been during lunch but I imagine it's pretty busy.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Simon Draskovic posted:

I'm going to be moving to Grant Park in the next month or so. Is there anything good in that area (I'm open to any kind of cuisine at this point, I've spent the last year and a half in Albany Georgia where the biggest culinary happening was the opening of a long-awaited Olive Garden), or am I pretty much going to have to head to Decatur / Midtown / Emory?

There's plenty of places around that general area, it just depends on what you're looking for.

Octane, H Harper Station, Ria's Bluebird, Home Grown, Nick's, Rathbun's, Ammazza, Miso Izakaya, Delia's, etc. Lots of things to try around Grant Park without having to venture too far north and into the city.

mindphlux posted:

if I had a day to eat in atlanta, I'd probably do canton house dim sum (not uniquely atlanta) for a late lunch, holeman & finch for a late dinner (get hot chicken), then go to bars in east atlanta and octopus bar it for a late midnight-dinner

that's just me though

is the hot chicken a standard item? I didn't see it on the menu; thought it was a Sunday or Monday night special only or something.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Java Jive is cash only, just to note.

I'll go to Manuel's for brunch too since it's usually not too busy. They took the porkchop breakfast off the menu but you can still order it (it's better than the steak and eggs imo). H Harper Station also has a brunch that's not that busy but it's a bit expensive for what it is. Good coffee though.

The main thing is to just get anywhere early, really, or else you're bound to wait.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

I'm pretty sure Lee's bakes the bread for most other places (Quoc Huong included), so maybe that's a reason it always gets mentioned. I've had it and think its fine, but Quoc Huong has always been my favorite.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Honey Pig isn't all you can eat. I thought it was good, but it didn't blow me away. I usually go to Iron Age (all you can eat) with friends. Never been to Hae Woon Dae, but I should probably heck it out.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

nicad posted:

Jerk.

We have tasty china which is amazing.

Yes, but Tasty China II is ITP. :smug:

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Been to Tasty China II quite a few times and have never had any issues (except them being out of various alcohols). I had no clue they even did a Chinese BBQ late night menu.

I've only been to the other Tasty China once, but I thought it wasn't as good as II. YMMV, clearly.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Zenzirouj posted:

Hey, speak for yourself. Me and some friends will still hit up the Piedmont Ru San's every now and then out of nostalgia from when we were in high school and didn't know any better. Sometimes you just wanna get trashy :unsmigghh:

Now the trashy part is just more literal than before.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Paper Plane is really good. Been there twice now and I like it a lot. They added tables outside in the little alleyway and it's nice.

Highly recommended if you're in Decatur.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Crazy, I've driven past that Campania place before (I work way out there) and just assumed it was a bad Neapolitan knock off and not something actually good. I'll have to check it out.

On a separate note, I went to Gato Arigato last night and it was pretty good. The tofu gyoza and hamachi sashimi were excellent. The spicy miso ramen was just okay, as I found the broth to be lacking; the shiso ramen was really good, however. The noodles were excellent.

Definitely recommend checking it out, but a couple things to note: 1) it's BYOB, and 2) it's a small space and there's no AC, so it can get a bit hot. Worth trying for ramen in the city, though.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

mindphlux posted:

yuck, horrible experience at flip westside this evening. hadn't been in 6-8 months. the menu got even dumber, prices had been edged up, the place was relatively empty (I think 6 tables?) food was as mediocre as ever, and had some hilariously bad service - the kind you can't even get remotely upset at because it's just too absurdly funny.

I still have yet to go to Flip, but they're turning HD1 into one, so I'll probably finally check it out when the patio finishes.

Also, I went to Campania this weekend and it was quite good. Had the Margherita DOC and the Arugula & Prosciutto, and the Margherita was the better of the two. The latter just had too much arugula making it too bitter, though there was definitely a healthy portion of prosciutto that made up for it somewhat. Otherwise it's a real solid pizza. I wouldn't go out of your way to get it, but if you happen to be in the area it's probably the best thing around.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Or Takorea, which is in Midtown and owned by the same people.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

I went to Sobban on Saturday night and had their late night menu, which is just a limited version of their regular menu (no bibimbap or bulgogi, etc). I thought it was pretty good.

I sat outside with my girlfriend, and didn't even step inside to be honest, so I can't really comment on the space. The food was good, though; I'd agree with venutolo that it didn't strike me as very Southern, though. We had the tofu dish, rice cakes, and the fried bologna and kimchi sandwich.

The tofu was pretty bland an there wasn't enough accoutrements to make it interesting, definitely the least successful dish on its own, but it served nice to cool the heat of the other dishes.

The rice cakes are small, chewy rice patties served with a spicy sauce, vegetables, and smoked pork (presumably from Heirloom Market?), and it was really good. Lots of flavor and a good spice level for me.

The fried bologna and kimchi sandwich was definitely the most fusion dish we had, and while it was tasty, it had some detractors. The sandwich came on well toasted bread with decent portions of bologna and kimchi, as well as a nose-cleansing spicy Korean mustard. Unfortunately the mustard overwhelmed most of this dish, which was a shame because it was really quite good otherwise.

Overall I thought it was really tasty, and definitely want to go back to try more dishes, especially the bulgogi and bibimbap. I think it's a good place to go and get a few dishes and just share, but it's basically just well done Korean food with a slight Southern twist.

edit: the rice cake dish also had fried shrimp on it, totally forgot about it until just now. Only a few pieces, though, like 3-4.

jooky fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 8, 2013

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

mindphlux posted:

went to sobban this week, enjoyed it. I had a lot of the same complaints as venutolo, though maybe not as acute.

I overall really enjoyed it. some lovely service from a girl who was wayyyy too snarky for her own good. like she was trolling some (admittedly trollworthy) members of our party - but you can only get away with directly insulting the people you're serving if your service is loving amazing. and even then I'm probably being generous, you just shouldn't ever talk down on your patrons.

what did she look like? My girlfriend is actually good friends with one of the servers there and she strikes me as the type of person that could be really snarky. Just wondering if it was her, haha

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

I've been to One Eared Stag on a couple occasions for brunch and it's nice. It's really never, ever busy, which is crazy, but it's definitely good. The black pepper biscuits with sausage gravy are great. It's definitely an underrated brunch spot, and not having to wait for brunch in Atlanta is a wonderful thing. Worth checking out if you haven't been, but it is a bit on the expensive side as mindphlux mentions.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

bee burger posted:

Yeah, I pass that place on the way back from Tech sometimes. They had a soft opening last night, must be opening really soon.

I think it fully opens on the 11th. I dropped in for lunch with some coworkers on Friday. I've had ramen at both locations now, and I've been a bit underwhelmed each time. It's a big bowl, and satiating, but the flavor just isn't fully there. The broth seems like it's been watered down or something, as it doesn't have the richness or depth of flavor I'd expect from ramen. The appetizers were good, and the donburi my coworker ordered looked great, so I'll definitely be back to try some more dishes, but the ramen is definitely a bit lackluster.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

kontona posted:

that's a little disappointing. hopefully they'll work out the kinks soon. would be nice to have a ramen place in that area of town.

has anyone been to the other location?

I've been to both. The broth is a little weak, but the noodles are tasty.

I went to Raku on Marietta again earlier this week (Tuesday I think?) and it was better than this past Friday. The soup was richer than I remembered. The combo is a huge meal for $12. It's a small bowl of donburi and a full bowl of ramen, with some throwaway salad. The spicy pork donburi was tasty. The ramens don't have eggs in them so I'm very confused by that (they had them at the Duluth location).

The waiters seem clueless for the most part but I'm not sure I can knock them since they seem to have very minimal, if any, training at all. It's definitely worth a try, just don't expect some high level of Japanese food knowledge from the staff.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

did someone actually giver their real google password hahaha

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Breakfast All Day posted:

They must have been renting that space for 18 months before opening -- although I wouldn't be surprised if the building management gave them some leeway since they haven't been able to lease out any of those storefronts for 5 years. All the lease rates are obscene along that stretch of Howell Mill/Marietta and it's a shame. It puts places like that Italian market (who had great sandwiches at lunch) out of business, and leaves most of the stores vacant nearly all the time. Octane's been there, what, a decade, but the only other things able to survive are overrated crap like Optimist and (slightly less overrated but still forgettable) Bocado that are just magnets for car-bound wealthy suckers that aren't going to walk around the area and keep smaller shops afloat.

This place? http://www.toscanoandsons.com/

They moved to the Highlands now, which has to be fairly pricey, as well.

WaterIsPoison posted:

Kimball House was pretty loving good! Their drink service was nothing sort of amazing, every single drink was top notch. Highly recommend the pecan old fashioned and the Death + Company. Had the three course steak meal, which was great, expect the steak was cooked more than I would have liked (they didn't ask how I wanted it, so I probably should have specified). Definitely recommend!

I really enjoy Kimball House. It's a great place for drinks and everyone there is super nice.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

mindphlux posted:

ate at takorea tonight - anyone have any opinions on that place?

it was packed which got me hopeful, and the banchan we had were all good - but the rest of the food pretty eh. some dry breastmeat fried chicken tacos, a slightly better beef based taco that was inexplicably also dry. a ho-hum food-court-esque bibimbap with some shrimp, some queso dip with gochujang in it......

dunno. wasn't terrible, and wasn't very expensive, I just wasn't feeling the inspiration. felt pretty corporate, safe, and boring. like if chipolte had korean flavors. which I guess is probably what they are going for.

Would just rather just go to Hankook. Takorea is like their corporate spinoff basically, so I doubt it's anywhere near as good. I haven't been to Takorea myself, but it makes more sense to drive to Hankook imo.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

venutolo posted:

I talked to a restaurant friend whose food opinions I put much faith in. She said she has been to Kimball House three times with varying degrees of success. One time the food was excellent, one time was good, but not great, and one time everything was poor. So it seems they're not entirely consistent over there when it comes to the non-oysters food.

It's been open less than 6 months so I think some inconsistency can be forgiven. Some of the food definitely comes off as too try hard, but overall I've been pleased with it every time I've gone.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

I went to Daddy D'z BBQ this weekend and I was really, really disappointed. I was hoping for some good BBQ, but what I had was not BBQ. The brisket tasted like pot roast with some BBQ sauce on top. And the pork was not that great either. The sides were pretty lackluster, too. The potato salad and coleslaw were both heavy on the mayo and oversauced. It was just a really bad experience overall. I should just stick to Community Q or Fox Bros :(

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Comfy chicken at Homegrown is really good

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

Community Q is the best BBQ in the city and I'll fight anyone that says otherwise. :colbert:

It's really good, though I personally prefer the meat at Fox Bros. However, the sides are much better at Community Q, in my opinion. I also like dining in at Community Q much better since it's order at the counter style - much more preferred for BBQ than a sit down restaurant.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

L0cke17 posted:

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for good restaurants nearby, with the catch being that I am significantly lactose and gluten intolerant, and allergic to most seafood. Pretty much all I eat out now is steak, bbq, and chinese, which are the only places I know of where I can consistently find something safe on the menu.

Urban Pl8 on the westside has a pretty Paleo-friendly menu, which avoids gluten and most dairy. I'm sure you'd be able to find something there.

http://www.urbanpl8.com/

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Herbed fries at Bocado are pretty tasty. Seconding the Community Q recommendation. Optimist fries are NOT good, but not like you'd go there for just those, anyway.

As an aside, I know it's not Atlanta proper, but Campania up in Alpharetta is really good. I might even like it better than Antico; it's definitely a better atmosphere for a date, for sure. Would not recommend driving all the way up 400 just to try it, but if you happen to be in the area, check it out.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

mindphlux posted:

true story atlanta-driving-talk : I was getting ready to turn onto one of the main egress points of the wholefoods ponce shopping strip. saw a cr-v barreling down from like literally 250 yards away, figured I was fine, made my turn.

as soon as I started turning, from 200 yards, this loving jackass lays on his horn. as he barrels down, not slowing at all. I of course notice him and kind of stop in the middle of the road, before determining I still have plenty of time and room, and continue to turn. dude loving speeds up, and then screeches to a halt right next to my car and is just loving cursing his head off looking me directly in the eye - still laying on his horn the whole time.

I just shook my head at him deadpan and started to get out of my car and he sped off. D.C. plates.

jesus christ assholes

your first mistake was going to that strip mall because it has legit the worst parking lot ever

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

I've been really disappointed with the new Sweet Auburn BBQ location in the old Pura Vida spot. Been there a few times, and the meat has been really subpar. Dry brisket, greasy pork. They both come pre-sauced, too, which is a big knock, imo. It's a great location, and the restaurant itself is nice, but I just wish it had better food. I'd much rather head to Fox Bros or Community Q, even when Sweet Auburn is much closer.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

mindphlux posted:

I need to try more of the places intown for barbeque. I've had fox bros, sweet auburn, daddy d'z, and heirloom market, and honestly just none of them seem that good to me. need to check out DBA and I don't know, there's another I'm blanking on but...

man I wish there were some more outstanding places. very open to recommendations if anyone thinks something stands out.

Community Q

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

I ate at varuni napoli this week and it was just okay. I live in between there and ammazza and I'd go to the latter, definitely. Even considering the crowd.

I'll give it another try in a month or so.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

did you get the comfy chicken? that's where it's at, imo

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Wachepti posted:

Are there any halfway decent places to get lunch at the airport or is it mostly garbage?

There's a Varasano's at the airport now, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Went to Lusca on Friday night with my girlfriend, and it was pretty solid. We hdad reservations, but ended up sitting at the bar instead. The seats at the tables reminded us of elementary school chairs and looked very uncomfortable. The food was great for the most part; the squid with potatoes and calabrian chilis and the grilled eggplant with mint, tomatoes, and rock shrimp were both excellent. We also had sanddab with puy lentils, and found them to be a bit of a mismatch, as the lentils overwhelmed the flavor of the fish and it didn't work that well. We definitely enjoyed ourselves, but it was overpriced for what it was, especially the shisito peppers and cucumbers with fish sauce, both $8 as a side. Would definitely recommend it for the area, but it has the prices to match.