Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I had no idea this thread existed again. The last one closed down and I had nowhere to post about Atlanta food. I tried Reddit, and it was just full of people with the most awful and boring opinions on food/restaurants (R Thomas as one of the best restaurants in Atlanta). Our old friend, goddinpotty, posts there and despite posting opinions that I generally agree with, he always seems to get shouted down as a troll (though much of the time he is trolling, but just not about restaurants/food). I could swear I did search for this sort of thread a month or so ago, but I guessed I missed it. Anyway, I'm glad to have this place to discuss Atlanta food again with non-idiots.

Last year I took a job (which I love) in Norcross, and wasn't all too excited about what might be my non-BuHi food options for lunch. While there certainly food options in Midtown/Westside/Buckhead/Decatur/wherever are better, I have found some places I like. I love the MEGA TORTA and carnitas and pastor tacos at Mega Taco. It's dirt cheap and serves my taco needs. I've enjoyed the Cuban food at Mojito's.

My absolute favorite place in the area is Bleu House Market and I eat there at least twice a week. It is a cozy little market/lunch place that has some good sandwiches, salads, and other stuff. I've had everything on the sandwich menu, and at a minimum I've liked it all. They do prepared dinners for to take home, and I've gotten them a number of times. I think they've all been good, and provide really good bang for your buck. The beef braciole I picked up last Tuesday was exquisite and was probably the best meal I've had since Chops last October. On Saturday mornings they do a brunch, which has red velvet waffles, which were really awesome. They also have various sweets, which I really love, especially their macaroons. If you're around the 85N/285 area, I think it is worth a visit.

Since I didn't know about this thread, I posted this in the general Atlanta thread:

venutolo posted:

Some great BBQ news for Westside (and nearby) people: Community Q is opening a second location where Burger Joe's used to be. Also, after the success of their Monday night BBQ stuff, the P'cheen people are opening a BBQ place (Bone Lick BBQ if I recall correctly) on Huff (near Westside Corner Tavern/Westside Pie).

Our old friend, goddinpotty, has what sounds like an interesting new project in front of him, which I'm looking forward to seeing what happens. I have no idea if he'd want that information public on the web, but if any of you are still in touch with him, he'd probably tell you. Or I guess you can PM me. He's also still very focused on cleanliness/food safety, which I can appreciate even more now after getting food poisoning from Peter Cheng's.

(I miss the old Atlanta dining thread :().

Can anyone give me any idea as to how busy H&F gets for Sunday brunch? I still have never been for brunch and was thinking about giving it a go this Sunday.

Anyway, I'm really thrilled to have this thread back. I'm also glad to see that after the rockiness last year, that Hashiguchi Jr/Sushi Jr is still open. I love their katsudon and should go back soon. I'm also pleased to see other people saying R Thomas kind of sucks.

venutolo fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Zenzirouj posted:

Having read the thread I think I have an idea of what the answer will be but how do you guys feel about the Buckhead Life Group offerings?

I've been to and enjoyed Atlanta Fish Market, Chops, Kyma, and Pricci. Chops gets my vote for the best steakhouse in Atlanta I've been to.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mickeymickey posted:

I'm so happy I found this thread! I'm a DC/Northern VA transplant that just moved down here in January. Is there any decent pho in Atlanta? I'm dying here. There's a place near our apartment (west end of the Georgia Tech campus) called "City Cafe" that advertises pho but it doesn't look particularly authentic.

For Vietnamese (and many other ethnic foods), you'll want to hit up Buford Highway. There are a whole bunch of Vietnamese places that serve pho. To get you pointed in the right direction, I suggest trying Quan Ba 9 and Pho Dai Loi.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Cerebellum posted:

Any recommendations for the Chamblee area? Just moved here from OTP and we're looking for some tasty but affordable restaurants. The boyfriend and I like anything from BBQ to Indian to Thai, but we're not really into seafood.

I'm not sure how far you're looking, but here are my suggestions of stuff that would basically be between Buckhead and Duluth along-ish 85 in Chamblee, Doraville, Norcross, Duluth, or other non-Atlanta proper areas near 85:

Along Buford Highway between 285 and Clairmont Road (best four miles of food around) you can find Las Tortas Locas, Havana Restaurant, Chef Liu, Ming's BBQ, Quoc Huong, Pho Dai Loi, Quan Ba, Crawfish Shack Seafood, Pho Bac, El Señor Taco, Nam Phuong, El Taco Veloz, Viet Tofu, Taquerîa El Rey Del Taco, Mini Hot Pot, Mozart Bakery, Penang. I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting.

Other places I like that I would think would be pretty accessible from the Chamblee area: Bleu House Market (my favorite place to eat these days), Sushi House Hayakawa, Community Q BBQ (my vote for the best BBQ in Atlanta), Cho Sun Ok, Shoya Izakawa, Han Il Kwan, Assi Plaza food court, friend chicken place in Super H Market (on Pleasant Hill?), Iron Age, BBQ Chicken, Mega Taco.

Obviously not a very focused list of place, so just look them up and figure out what appeals to you.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
In case any 85N OTP folks are interested, my favorite lunch place (and one of my favorite places in all of metro Atlanta) is having a BBQ this Saturday: http://www.facebook.com/events/284086658337214/

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

godzirraRAWR posted:

Wow that's pretty crazy. Wish I could make it!

http://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/news/2012/apr/05/the-dish-bleu-house-market/

"Chef Bryan" is one of my old buddies that got hired away from someplace in athens to work there. And I had no idea till just now.

Bryan is a really good guy. I really enjoy talking to him while I'm there, and I think he makes some great food.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

RHIN0002 posted:

I went to Iron Age in Duluth last night with some friends for Korean BBQ and was not disappointed. They have unlimited pork belly and brisket for $15 (everyone at the table must order it), and both were excellent. You get about 10 different kinds of banchan with the meal and as long as you continue to ask, they continue to bring more of everything. We ate no less than 5 pounds of pork belly between the four of us and everyone in my party was overly impressed with the food. It's definitely worth checking out if you're in the area.

I've been there a few times and enjoyed it. I once went by myself and they looked at me very funny, presumably because it is kind of a group thing, but I ate a ton of meat and was happy.

I'm trying to find some good place to eat breakfast/brunch on the weekends. I typically want to go eat breakfast/brunch by myself somewhere between 10am and noon, but all the places near me I can think of are the type of place that are really busy with groups of people and typically require a long wait (Urban pL8, West Egg, etc). Recently I've just sort of given up and go to Einstein Bros since I do enjoy a bagel with cream cheese and lox, but I'd prefer to go somewhere I can order more than one thing. So does anyone have any suggestions for a decent weekend breakfast/brunch places near-ish Midtown that aren't jammed?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Safety Dance & kuskus posted:

Java Jive & Rise N Dine
Thanks. I'll check these two places out in the near future.

kuskus posted:

Send me a PM if you want to get breakfast here on a Sat before noon.
Assuming that was intended at me, will do.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

godzirraRAWR posted:

Unsure of where else to put this, but I saw it come across my RSS feed, and will probably end up going:

http://www.pinestreetmarket.com/collections/frontpage/products/whole-hog-cooking-class

if anyone else is interested!

I went to their sausage making class a couple weekends ago and rather enjoyed it. Assuming nothing gets in the way, I'll be at the whole hog class as well.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Georgia peaches are now available! Pearson Farm peaches became available on the 12th and Lane Southern Orchard peaches were available on the 1st. Due to our mild winter, peaches are available earlier this year, and due to the decreased rainfall, the peaches will be smaller, but sweeter.

For anyone who is interested in sushi, or cuisine in general, I highly recommend seeing Jiro Dreams of Sushi. It is still playing at the Tara, though probably not for much longer. I watched it today and loved it.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

finally saw this tonight too (we were probably at the same showing where they messed up and showed the wrong thing in the beginning?)

was great. really appreciated it.

They screwed up the 7pm showing as well? At the 2pm showing, there was only audio and no video at first, then someone had to be fetched and the whole thing had to be started over from the trailers. There were also a bunch of angry old people upset that the theater showing that Marigold movie was full and there were no seats together and the only available seats were way off to the side.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

also really what is it with all the old people and that marigold thing

I went to the 1:50pm showing of Jiro and there were a ton of people in line to get tickets to that Marigold film at 2pm. I think I counted only one other person in the lines who I thought was below the age of 40.

As for Atlanta food stuff: peaches are delicious, I'm excited for the whole hog class at Pine Street Market next weekend, and Antico was the highest scoring pizza place in the US in the most recent Zagat Survey (at 27, if I recall correctly).

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Well, I guess I know where I'm eating lunch today (or at least sometime this week). Love me some bibimbop.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

"GRANDMA NEEDS A BREAK"

I went for lunch today and got a nice laugh from that. I enjoyed what I had. Thanks for bringing that place up.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
From the Super Pan Latino Sandwich Shop Facebook page:

quote:

Dear Super Pan Fans: As of today, Tuesday May 15, 2012, Super Pan Latino Sandwich Shop is closing its current location at Pura Vida. While Super Pan has received great press & reviews, and has wonderful loyal customers, the foot traffic in the area is not enough to support the high labor, high food cost concept in its current location. Chef Hector is currently looking for investors to partner with to move Super Pan to a new location with much higher foot traffic. We hope to find a new location where Super Pan can be a full-blown Latino bakery & coffee shop as well as Sandwich Shop, open for breakfast, lunch and possibly dinner. Stay tuned. And remember... Pork Belly Buns & Tofu Buns are available at Pura Vida. Torta de Pollo can be found in a burrito on Saturday's at El Burro Pollo. Hope to see you all soon!

Too bad. I hope they find a new location and have expanded hours.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Here are a few pictures from the whole hog class at Pine Street Market:

I rather enjoyed the class. The class ran from 10am to about 12:45pm and cost $100. The class began with a quick introduction to the shop and what they do. Along with the two main production guys at Pine Street Market, Rusty (also owner and head guy) and Kyle, was Andy Gonzales (current chef/GM at Steinbeck's, formerly of South City Kitchen, Spice Market, and Augustine's if I recall correctly).

As the guys went through the process of breaking down the hog, they'd talk about what they were doing, where the different cuts of meat come from, and described their technique. Andy would also describe why different cuts of meat were used for different things in the kitchen, which was a nice addition to have someone talk about the practical, in-kitchen uses of the various cuts, and why you'd use the cuts in a particular case (fat content, connective tissue, etc).

About halfway through the process, there was break for the attendees to snack on some salumi and cheese and drink the beer/wine/water provided while the guys skinned the pig.

Later on in the breakdown process the attendees got to cut some pork chops, which we'd get to take home. After the hog was broken down, we were given some pork belly, a large quantity of salt and brown sugar, and access to their various seasonings so we could prepare our own bacon for curing.

After that, Andy demonstrated how to make porchetta (second picture). After that we ate a previously-cooked porchetta for lunch (third picture). Along with the porchetta was some really tasty collard greens that had a good amount of pork, and more beer/wine/water. The porchetta was great. I loved the crispy pork skin on the outside.

After lunch we took home two of the pork chops we cut (unfortunately not necessarily the actual ones each individual cut themselves), and we'll be able to pick up our bacon this weekend.

I really enjoyed the whole class and would recommend it to anyone who has an interest in food that extends beyond just eating good food. The cost may be $100, but that includes the salumi and cheese snack, porchetta and greens lunch, craft beer or wine, two pork chops, and bacon, which probably accounts for more than half of the cost.

Pine Street Market just posted two more classes (sausage making in June, whole hog in July) if anyone is interested.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Just throwing this out there if anyone is interested:

Bleu House Market, where I eat lunch nearly every weekday and a place I adore, is having another backyard BBQ event ("backyard BBQ luau style") next Saturday (16th from 1 to 5pm). If I recall correctly, the plan is to have some BBQ pork (and probably other BBQ stuff) with some Hawaiian- and Cuban-influenced sides. They don't have a liquor license, but that doesn't mean there won't be some alcohol. Last time they had a pony keg or two of some SweetWater and also made some sangria, which was free. There will also be some live music of some sort.

I'll mention this here in case anyone is interested and doesn't read the Atlanta threads in LAN and Goon Meets forums: I have an extra Childish Gambino ticket for Sunday night's show (8pm at Tabernacle). If anyone wants it, it is yours.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
If you want any particular cut of pork, you can call up Pine Street Market to get it. They get their pigs in on Tuesdays, so you'd need to be in touch with them before that to request your cut of pork. Obviously you can find more common cuts of pork elsewhere, but if you want something less common, Pine Street Market should do you well.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Last weekend I mentioned that my favorite place was having a BBQ. I didn't know it was part of a larger festival this weekend. So if anyone is interested:

From http://www.aplacetoimagine.com/bluesberry-festival:

quote:

Fresh locally grown blueberries (and homemade blueberry ice cream!), a mini beerfest with cornhole competitions, and an exciting line-up of authentic blues artists are on this year’s BluesBerry Festival slated for June 16th in Downtown Historic Norcross.

Here's the scoop:

10am-closing
Local shops are open with blueberry treats to sample while you shop

11:30am-closing

Downtown restaurants hosting blueberry chef specials to eat and sip (ever had a blueberry margarita or mojito? Yum!) 45 South Cafe and the Bleu House Market are both open for a bluesberry breakfast; other eateries open for lunch and dinner!

noon-6pm
Roast Pig Cuban/Hawaiian Luau, live music, incredibly good things to eat & sip! $5 - $6 a plate plus free sides to choose from...eat outdoors at one of our picnic tables or come inside with the air conditioning! Bleu House Market 62 College Street

4pm-10:30pm
Mini Beer Fest featuring local Atlanta breweries. Tickets and wrist bands for sale the day of the event only. Iron Horse Tavern 29 Jones Street

5pm-6:30pm
Little G Weevil

7pm-8:30pm
T-Grease Johnson

9pm-10:30pm
Truett Lollis

The music and the fresh blueberries will be located in the parking lot of Betty Mauldin Park, located next to the Iron Horse Tavern.

Sponsoring Breweries:

Monday Night Brewing Believe it or not, the idea for our brewery grew out of a small Atlanta Bible study. We started brewing beer together on Monday nights as a way to get to know each other better. We spent almost 5 years perfecting our Eye Patch Ale and Drafty Kilt Scotch Ale before bringing them to market. Our Eye Patch Ale is a crisp, drinkable IPA – sweet caramel, citrusy flowers and swashbuckling adventure abound with every pint. Our Drafty Kilt Scotch Ale is a dark, malty bombshell of a beer, with hints of smoke and chocolate.

Red Hare Brewing Company opened its doors to the public on September 2, 2011. As Marietta's first and only craft brewery, we have a 20 barrel brewhouse and 220 barrel fermenting capacity. We have three year round brews: Long Day Lager, Gangway IPA and Watership Brown Ale, as well as a limited edition series called Rabbit's Reserve.

Sweetwater Brewery "Don't Float the Mainstream" February 17, 1997 marked the official beginning of SweetWater Brewery, and a new style of brewing and selling beer in Atlanta as the boys wandered around Atlanta in an old van with Freddy’s dog Badger. After ending up on the wrong side of the tracks a few times, they were finally pointed in the direction of Virginia-Highlands and found a few bars willing to take a chance on them. “We’ll give you a shot as long as your dog stops begging for leftovers on our patio” was the cautious approval they needed to get the brand rolling. Let's plan on pouring 420, Blue and IPA, plus we'll have a branded cornhole set.

Terrapin Beer Company introduced its first beer, the Rye Pale Ale in April of 2002. Six months later while only available on draft in Athens, Terrapin’s sole offering won the American Pale Ale Gold Medal at the 2002 Great American Beer Festival. These days John and Spike are enjoying Terrapins new 40,000 square foot brewing facilities and taking advantage of the space to brew new innovative and exciting beers. The year round line up now includes the Rye Pale Ale, Golden Ale, and the Hopsecutioner. Terrapin has also released many other beers and garnered several awards both in the U.S.A and internationally.

I'll be at the BBQ at Bleu House Market. Aside from what is mentioned, they'll also have free beer and sangria.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

godzirraRAWR posted:

Was on my way up, work called, sitting inside at home working. loving gently caress

I'm about to head there. I'll tell Bryan you can't make it.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

I think I saw you today at peachtree farmers market at the farm burger stand confirm/deny.

didn't want to go and be like 'hey you post on the internet right' but

got some lovely chanterelles~! for a lot of money :(

Yep. That was me. I'm awful with faces, so I'm sorry I didn't notice you.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

naw it's cool, we only met irl once at noni's while goddin was cookin, for like 2 seconds in the dark. and I don't even think I said I posted on the forums then. wouldn't expect you to recognize me :ninja:

I could be wrong, but I think we also met at a goon meet at my house eight or nine years ago. If I recall correctly, you have an uncommon first name, and if I had heard the Farm Burger people call it out, I would have looked around. Oh well. Next time.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
There is going to be another installment of Get Delicious on PBS this week. Set your DVRs.

from Atlanta Magazine:

quote:

The culinary brains behind PBA30's "Get Delicious!" are back with another installment of the Atlanta-centric food show. "Barbeque, Bacon, and Other Adventures in Meat" will premiere with a sneak peak at the Plaza Theatre this Sun., July 1, followed by the television premiere on Thur., July 5 and Sun., July 8. In this installment, bearded renaissance man Jim Stacy gallivants across Atlanta (and some nearby places) to taste smoky meats, slice charcuterie, and meet a few farm animals along the way. New favorites, including Heirloom Market BBQ and Pine Street Market, appear alongside the old standbys of Daddy D'z BBQ Joynt and Patak Meats.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
If you haven't had the burger at Bocado, I recommend that. I slightly prefer it to the H&F burger.

For what it is worth, I think the Grindhouse at Sweet Auburn Curb Market does things better than the one on Piedmont. The guys who opened Grindhouse sold the Sweet Auburn location when they opened the second location on Piedmont, however the Sweet Auburn location retained most of the staff. If I recall correctly, the two locations share a name, but are not otherwise not much related anymore. For example, the Grindhouse website lists both locations and has menus for both, but the Grindhouse Facebook and Twitter accounts only promote the Piedmont location.

In my experiences the burgers have been better at the Sweet Auburn location, and the service has been awful at times at the Piedmont location. The Piedmont location does have a larger menu, such as fried pimento cheese balls, and greater hours, but if I want a Grindhouse burger for a Saturday lunch, I'll always head to the Sweet Auburn location.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Poop Delicatessen posted:

Am I the only person on Earth that can't stand Five Guys? Everyone seems to love them for fast food burgers, but I hate that they always cook their patties well done. Well done is the worst.

Aren't all fast food burgers well done? I certainly would be terrified if I got a burger that looked medium rare from McDonald's.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

dennyk posted:

On an unrelated note, Fox Brothers BBQ got squished by a tree last night, so they'll probably be closed for a bit.

That stinks for them. I took a ribs class last weekend (and will be taking a pork and brisket class next weekend) at Fox Bros. and rather enjoyed myself.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Safety Dance posted:

How does Miss Anne's rate?

Not worth the wait or MSG in my opinion.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
In case anyone is interested in ATL BBQ news...

Community Q have recently dropped their plans to open a Westside location on Marietta. They ran into some issue with city planning/approval and some grease trap costing them way more than desired. Too bad. I love their BBQ and would love to have a location minutes from home.

Fox Bros. is still working on a second location on Scott Blvd in Decatur. They've fired the original contractor and so are way behind schedule. The giant tree that fell on the original restaurant last week crushed a car, a van, and took out 80% of their indoor seating. Also, you should order the moist cut of the brisket when there.

Bone Lick BBQ (from the P'cheen people) is scheduled to open this coming week (if I recall correctly) on the Westside on Huff. I've heard and read good things about the BBQ nights at P'cheen, so I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Windyblade posted:

That's interesting given Dave Poe's is still operating in the city limits. Have their menus diverged all that much? I know they used to be pretty much identical.

The other Community Q location was going to be on the Westside on Marietta Street, not in Marietta, GA.

Assuming Sam's BBQ1 and Dave Poe's haven't changed their menus since last summer, they and Community Q have pretty identical menus. If I recall correctly, the prices at Sam's and Dave Poe's were higher than Community Q, and I thought Community Q's meat was a little better (but that is based on a small sample size of Sam's and Dave Poe's). Community Q does have more specials, such as their pretty great Kitchen Sink Salad and various vegetable sides.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I don't really get West Egg either. I've always thought their food was mediocre and in no way worth waiting for a table. A friend had told me their PB&J (Pimento, Bacon, Tomato Jam) burger was really good, so I went back a couple months ago and the burger was worse than mediocre.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Webbeh posted:

I had Bone Lick BBQ today for lunch, they opened up today. Not sure what to make it so far, just that the BBQ sandwich and mac n' cheese left my mouth burning. Quite spicy.

Definitely will be going back, especially when they have beer.

I ate dinner there today. I thought it was good, but not exactly what I want in terms of BBQ. I'm not exactly sure how to describe my experience, but I kind of felt it was too refined for BBQ.

The (pork & pork &) beans were good, but I didn't love my pork sandwich. The ratio of slaw and pickles to pork was too high. Less slaw and pickles and more meat, and I would have liked it more.

It was their first day open, and I know not to make any judgments on such a small sampling on opening day, so I won't form any sort of permanent opinion yet. Anyway, I'm happy to have another BBQ place near home and will probably be visit with some regularity.

venutolo fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 15, 2012

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Webbeh posted:

Was it just me, or was the sandwiches packed with jalapeños? I was burning up after the mac n' cheese and sandwich. I also felt there was way too much of the cole slaw on top (and under) of the meat. Sneaky sneaky.

Doesn't the mac and cheese have jalapeños?

I don't recall seeing any jalapeños on the sandwich, but I think the rub on the pork had some heat. Both the pork & bean and pork sandwich were a bit spicy.

Josh Lyman posted:

I had the paella at La Fonda on westside. Very bland, not impressed.

I think you can pretty much just say "I had the [food item] at La Fonda. Very bland, not impressed". I've always thought their stuff was pretty mediocre and bland.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I'll throw Mojito Cafe in Johns Creek, Mojito's Cuban-American Bistro in Norcross, Cuban Diner in Roswell, Mambo's Cafe in Alpharetta, and Little Cuba in Chamblee out there. I don't think any are spectacular, but I think they're solid.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Safety Dance posted:

If you're just into the sandwiches, there's the Crazy Cuban on 14th st. It's like Kool Korners, but you don't have to drive all the way out to Birmingham. There's another location up on Powers Ferry Rd, but I've never been to that one.

In my opinion Crazy Cuban kind of stinks and their sandwiches are not much like Kool Korner's. If I just want a sandwich I'd go to Papi's, Havana, or Little Cuba.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Get 360 banh mi from Quoc Huong. Eat as many as you can, then sleep on a bed made from the leftovers.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Anyone have any opinions about Wrecking Bar Brewpub? A guy I've met and talked to a few times is taking over the head chef position there and I know nothing about it.

Also, Kevin Gillespie is leaving Woodfire Grill.

My mother was in town a couple weeks ago and we ate at a lot of good places, which included trying a few places for the first time that I rather enjoyed:

Ria's Bluebird has some ridiculously good pancakes. I'm not much into breakfast food, but those were so good and the best I've had. I'm sure it is jammed on weekend mornings, so I probably won't have them again until I take a day off from work.

No. 246 in Decatur was really great. Their porchetta sandwich was among the best things I ate in my week of gluttonous feasting. Of all the places I visited for the first time, I most want to go back to No. 246.

Steinbeck's has a small menu, and was a particularly great value. Based on the prices we figured it would be small plates, or at least small portions, but there was a good quantity of good food. When we got the bill we were surprised how inexpensive it was.

The Optimist is pricey, but I was rather impressed by what we had. We had the scallops and swordfish, and both dishes were executed incredibly well.I absolutely loved the interior of the restaurant, and it may be my favorite restaurant interior in Atlanta that I can think of.

I finally got around to trying The Iberian Pig after it being on my "to try" list for a long time. Everything was really good, with my favorites being the bacon wrapped dates, various cheeses, and the charcuterie. I would eat a disgusting amount of their Iberico Tasting (Jamon Iberico, Paleta Iberico de Bellota, Lomo Iberico de Bellota) if I could afford to.

venutolo fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 3, 2012

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

also, what?

what's kevin doing? I thought he was basically like a business partner at the place, so it seems pretty surprising he'd leave...

If I recall correctly, he divested himself of the business partner stuff a while ago, but stayed as the chef. He's now leaving to focus on a couple books. I'm on my phone, so I don't feel like finding the link, but this information came from Atlanta Magazine's website somewhere.

edit: I had that a bit wrong. Gillespie sold his ownership share to focus on a couple cookbooks. He'll be leaving Woodfire at the end of the year, and then sometime later opening a new restaurant called Gunshow.

venutolo fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 3, 2012

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
A couple notes about Bocado, which is one of my favorite places:

Executive chef Todd Ginsberg may be leaving to go to some new restaurant in Decatur from the West Egg people. I really love Bocado and have talked to Chef Ginsberg a bit (last time we discussed fantasy football), so I'd be very disappointed if he went elsewhere.

Bocado got a 67/U on their latest inspection.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Hahaha, thanks. Glad you liked the hummus and my fancy square wraps. I'm the only cook in the kitchen, so I was the one who brought out your food and everything. I'm hoping to start selling the hummus in bulk once demand goes up a little bit, so I'll let you know if you wanna come by and get some.

Where do you work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Cream & Shuga in Jefferson.

drat. I love me some good hummus, but Jefferson is really far from Midtown.