Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
My friend has a restaurant in Clarkesville, but he's a guy, so who cares?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Safety Dance posted:

Is it a good or otherwise noteworthy restaurant in Clarkesville?

It is noteworthy to me because my friend owns/runs it and is the chef. I have no idea if it is good. http://www.thecopperpotrestaurant.com/

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

what is this posted:

Not noteworthy. I know Fred Castelucci really well and I'm not constantly posting about his OTP restaurants.

Please give me the hookup on the charcutería at The Iberian Pig. That poo poo is so good.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

nicad posted:

yup. It was a little strange. You were there?

Word on the street is he will be at MJQ and clermont tonight

Apparently he has been to the following places (probably not a complete list): Octopus Bar, Octane Coffee, Little Tart Bakeshop, Holeman & Finch, Star Provisions, Sweet Auburn Curb Market, Home Grown, Taco Veloz.

Anyway, The Optimist has been name (one of?) Esquire's best new restaurant(s?). I've only been once, but I loved it and am happy for ATL food.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
The Esquire article is a little confusing to me since it is titled "Best New Restaurants 2012" and names The Optimist "Restaurant of the Year", which I think really means best NEW restaurant of the year and not necessarily best restaurant period. The article is here if you are interested in reading it. There's a Houston restaurant in that list that I've been excited to try the next time I return home, so I am happy to see it on the list.

Anyway, good for Ford Fry. He's had a nice run of success in the last year or so. I loved The Optimist in my one visit and I also really loved No. 246 in Decatur (porchetta sandwich for lunch is pretty fantastic).

There's some nice photography of The Optimist at Savory Exposure. I can't recall any restaurant interior that I loved as much. The photographs on that blog are nice, but as good as they are, I don't think they capture the greatness of the interior when you're actually standing in it.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Holy crap that looks awesome.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Stalizard posted:

You guys over the past couple weeks have been making banh mi look loving fantastic and I really want to try some. I have no idea what to try.

I'm given to understand that my best bet is Quoc Huong on Buford Highway - what should I order and how much will it be? I'll eat anything once, especially if it is spicy.

I looked at the menu online and have no goddamned idea what is anything so can you help point me in the right direction here?

Yes, go to Quoc Huong. In my opinion it has the best banh mi, though there are a number of other places that I wouldn't argue with you if you thought were better. (This does not include Lee's. I think Lee's is utterly mediocre.)

Get the BBQ pork banh mi sandwiches. They should be $2.50 each (buy five, get one free). The only thing spicy on the sandwich is the jalapeno.

When I go, I usually order three BBQ pork and three of the "special" banh mis, for $12.50 total. I'll eat two or three while there and take the rest home. I also really enjoy their bubble teas, though they're not any different than any other Vietnamese place on BuHi. They also have some coconut drink that I adore. I forget what it is called on the menu, but it is the one that comes with a slice of coconut in your glass.

venutolo fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 8, 2012

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

I really love quoc huong - my jam is their 'combination' one - it has some pate and ham or something, it's really good. I usually order a combination and a BBQ pork for about $6.

tied with quoc huong is viet tofu for me...

Yeah that "combination" one is the "special" I refer to. I love it. Viet Tofu is great as well.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

RHIN0002 posted:

Do these keep well refrigerated? I went for the first time Saturday, and loved the bbq pork. Unfortunately, it's about an hour drive from home and a half an hour from work, and not very economical even given the super low prices. If I bought 6, do you think they'd keep for a couple days?

They keep okay in the fridge. You're not going to get the roll back to where it was in the restaurant, but the meat and vegetables will be fine. When I get a bunch to take home I'll usually eat them over the course of two or three days. I just reheat them in a toaster oven, and they're still good, but not as great as fresh.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
It is now official that Chef Todd Ginsberg is leaving Bocado (other link). I love Bocado and have had the opportunity to chat with Chef Ginsberg a number of times, so I'm sad to see him go.

To celebrate both Bocado's third anniversary and celebrate Chef Ginsberg's time at Bocado, they're doing a $3 burger night next Wednesday.

The Creative Loafing and Eater blog posts aren't definite on where Chef Ginsberg is headed, but I actually spoke to Chef Ginsberg today (OMG INSIDER INFORMATION) as I was leaving lunch at Bocado and he said he'd be opening a Jewish deli near Emory (presumably The General Muir at Emory Point) next year.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Anyone have any opinions as to what the best (non-hamburger, non-banh mi, non-bbq) sandwiches in Atlanta are? I love sandwiches and would like to enjoy any great ones that I've missed.

Off the top of my head, my favorites are the Reuben at Star Provisions, the prosciutto sandwich at Bocado, and the porchetta sandwich at No. 246.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Safety Dance posted:

Victory Sandwich Bar on Elizabeth St makes a mean 'witch. It's a pretty hipster joint and it's been a while since I've been there, but if I recall correctly, their Beast on Yeast is tasty and not too pricey.

Has anyone tried Bell St. Burritos, newly opened on Irwin St in the Old 4th Ward?

I like the mini sandwiches at Victory, but don't love them. In my about half-dozen experiences there, the service has been horrible.

I haven't been the the new location on Irwin Street, but I have loved the Sweet Auburn and (now closed) Howell Mill location. They're my favorite burritos in town.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

I Love Topanga posted:

I'm traveling to Atlanta for the first time at the end of the month for a conference, so I have very limited amount of time to eat. I fly in late on a Wednesday night and leave on Friday at mid-day.

I'm staying at The W, Downtown(45 Ivan Allen Jr. Boulevard) so I would prefer suggestions within walking distance.

I'm looking for suggestions for:
-Late night dinner/drinks on a Wednesday
-2 breakfasts within walking distance
-a great lunch,
-a quick lunch within walking distance of the conference (The Georgia World Congress Center, 285 Andrew Young International Blvd, NW)

Also, are there any breweries in downtown Atlanta that I should check out?

There's not much Downtown because Downtown is primarily businesses and hardly anyone lives there, so the population clears out after 5pm. There are a few restaurants, but they're nothing special or distinct to Atlanta, and the kind of things you'd find near where big conferences are held in any other city, such as a Morton's or a McCormick & Schmidt's.

Unless I'm forgetting something, there isn't much in the way of restaurants within a 10 minute walk of your hotel. Maybe a 15 minute walk away you'd find the restaurants in the Luckie-Marietta district (Stats, Max's Coal Oven Pizza, etc), but of the ones I've eaten at, they're nothing I'd particularly recommend.

If you were willing to travel a little further around Downtown, the only places I'd recommend are Reuben's Deli, Lunacy Black Market, and Sweet Auburn Curb Market, but I don't think they're within reasonable walking distance.

No breweries downtown. I'm sure the land would be way to expensive for the kind of space a brewery would need.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Safety Dance posted:

Isn't the 5 Seasons Brewery on Marietta St an actual brewery, or does that not count as downtown? There's also Gordon Biersch, but that's solidly in Midtown. (Sorry, I judge "downtown" based on walkability from Ga Tech, whereas I should judge it based on walkability from Ga State. Also, my concept of walkability is skewed because I like long walks.)
5 Seasons is a brew pub, which does have a brewery, but I assumed the person was interested in touring a brewery that packages and sells their beer (like SweetWater). I don't know that you can actually tour the brewery section of 5 Seasons. 5 Seasons is in West Midtown, not Downtown.

Creative Loafing has a recent write up of dining at The Optimist. The two entrees discussed in the article are the two I've had and rather enjoyed.

venutolo fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 19, 2012

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Sounds like the service wasn't good, which is too bad, but I don't think you can complain about them not serving alcohol to someone without an ID.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Josh Lyman posted:

Is there something special about Monday nights or tonight in particular?

Tonight is the presedential debate.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
If you don't waste nearly all your expendable income on food and drink, you're wasting it.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I think Top Flr is nice and cheap.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Safety Dance posted:

What's the deal with the Holeman & Finch burger? Do people just start queuing up around 9, or do you get on a list, or do you just slug it out at 10, or what? I ask because my girlfriend wants to try it someday and my anxiety about things like these makes me worry I'll commit a faux pas.

Just go for brunch.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Anyone been to Cardamom Hill and have any opinions or tips to share? In recent months it has popped up in the Atlanta restaurant stuff I read online, and it sounds pretty good. Until recently, I didn't realize that it was rather close to me.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Of those restaurants (minus Chops since you don't like steak), if I were in your spot, I'd either go to Atlanta Fish Market or try to sell it on Craigslist for 80% of its value.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

godzirraRAWR posted:

I've been there a TON of times and never smelled vomit. Its one of my favorite places to grab new beers, and enjoy some salt and vinegar popcorn. Too bad that you have to slog thru the homeless and weird rastafarian beggars to get there, and there is ALWAYS a line at peak times. I have had the best luck going by at like 2pm during the week.

But The Yacht Club down the way is one of my fav bars ever, and I seem to have a soft spot for dive bars, so that might explain it.

I've never had any problems with the smell of The Porter. Great beer selection, and good food (but a somewhat limited menu). The Yacht Club is great.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

FordCQC posted:

Anyone ever been to Ege Sushi in Marietta?

I've been there and thought it was good. There were also a number of Japanese customers there, for what that is worth.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of sushi, I ate at MF Sushi in Houston while I was home for Christmas and it was fantastic. The service very friendly, but absurdly slow, and the nigiri was the finest I've ever had. I spoke to one of the people in charge, and he said that they hope to return to Atlanta, and are looking at opening a location in the Inman Park area.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Radiohead71 posted:

I'm new(er) to ATL so thank you all for this thread. I read another thread similar to this one and here is what they said:

Pizza? - Antico.
Sushi? - Hayakawa.
Chinese? - Peter Changs Tasty China 2.
High end? - Bacchanalia, Empire State South, Abattoir.
Persian? - Rumi's Kitchen.
Ethiopian? - Desta Cafe.
Steak? - Bones.
Japanese? - Nakato.
Wings? - NOT TACO MAC.

Comments?

Antico is by far the best pizza around (highest Zagat score for a pizza place in the US, named best Neapolitan pizza by the Festa della Pizza in Naples, etc).

I prefer the original Tasty China to #2 (I'm also pretty sure I got the most awful food poisoning at 2).

List is missing Holeman & Finch and Restaurant Eugene.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Jamal's Buffalo Wings sells my favorite wings. It is a little shack of a place in the parking lot of a Papa John's on the corner of MLK and Northside.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

kuskus posted:

Wow, you weren't kidding.

Anything in particular you favor?
I prefer the barbecue sauced wings, but I have a buddy who adores their hot buffalo sauced wings. I've been told their lemon pepper sauce is really good, but I haven't tried it.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I went to Chef Todd Ginsberg's new place, The General Muir, this past Saturday for lunch. I really enjoyed Ginsberg's work at Bocado during his tenure there and come from a family of New Yorkers, so I was pretty excited to see this new New York Jewish deli place. It opened last Wednesday for lunch/brunch (dinner service starts tonight), so I wasn't expecting much of a crowd, but the place was packed at 1:30pm.

I rather enjoyed what I had (deviled eggs, Reuben, chocolate egg cream), but was somewhat disappointed that the Reuben wasn't the best Reuben I've ever had (that belongs to the Reuben at Star Provisions). Probably a ridiculous expectation, but Ginsberg's burger at Bocado was my favorite (the burger at Bocado is still really good and my favorite in the city, but it hasn't been as consistently excellent since Ginsberg left) so I was expecting a similar experience with the Reuben. I could have gone for slightly less chewy meat and slightly more Russian dressing.

Never the less, I enjoyed my meal and am excited to try the rest of the menu full of things I haven't eaten since I lived in the Northeast. There is a burger on the menu, so I imagine it is crafted with the same excellence as Ginsberg's previous burger at Bocado. They also make their own bagels, which I'm very, very excited to try. I haven't eaten a decent bagel in Atlanta in my 12+ years here (and I've tried pretty much all the places I've read had good bagels), so I'm really hoping their bagels are good.

I really liked the interior of the restaurant. There was lots of light from all the windows, lots of while tile (which I'm a total sucker for in a restaurant), and a windowed kitchen that I could see into while sitting at the bar (I love watching a professional kitchen in action). There is also a counter at one end of the restaurant where you can buy bagels, and various NY Jewish deli style baked goods (black and white cookies, rugelach, cheesecake, etc).

All in all, I really liked the place and hope that it does well. Christiane Lauterbach was there, so maybe she'll be reviewing it soon, though I think reviewing a place four days after opening is way too early.

venutolo fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Feb 5, 2013

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

kuskus posted:

Venutolo, you've really, really got me jonesing for a reuben now and I've been so good about not eating out and/or meat during the week because of YLLS reasons.

Reubens are pretty much the dopest sandwich ever. Eat.

e: Live well, not long.

venutolo fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 5, 2013

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Safety Dance posted:

I live right around the corner from that place (almost -- less than a mile up Briarcliff), and I haven't seen it when I drive past. Where is it?

It is in the Emory Point complex. It is at the Southeastern (IIRC) end of the complex, on the side facing the parking deck, next to Bonefish (which faces the road).

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Miso Izakaya has the worst service in Atlanta according to a recent Eater Atlanta poll.

Also, regarding the ramen Miso Izakaya:

Eater Atlanta posted:

Mihoko Obunai, formerly of Repast and most recently helping Guy Wong with the lunchtime ramen at Miso Izakaya, is IN as executive chef of Joli Kobe. The chef has been revamping and rebranding the French/Japanese bakery and cafe; her first menu will be out on Valentine's Day.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
http://www.supportcharlottesweb.com/

quote:

About The Event
Friends, family and chefs from around the region are coming together in a big way on February 26 at SweetWater Brewery. From 6 to 10 p.m. Fox Bros. Bar-B-Q will host 15 of the Atlanta’s top chefs to rally in support of fellow chef and friend, Charlotte Nelson. Charlotte was diagnosed with stage four inflammatory breast cancer in November of 2012. The event, Charlotte’s Web…Cancer Touches Us All, will include samples from all 15 chefs, passed hors d’oeuvres, live music from Moontower, and a silent auction. All proceeds from the event will go directly to Charlotte and her family to assist in medical expenses.
Tasting tables will be set up at SweetWater Brewery where donors will experience offerings from chefs of the region. US Foods is donating all chef proteins and Fox Bros. Bar-B-Q, and Big Tex Decatur will provide passed hors d’oeuvres. Cathead Vodka is among the distributors providing alcohol and signature cocktails are being crafted by some of Atlanta’s top bartenders including Irv Howard, Tiffanie Barriere and Jerry Slater.
Atlanta-based band Moontower will play at the event. The band’s motto and philosophy embodies what the evening will be about — “good friends getting together.” For more information about Moontower, visit https://www.moontowermusic.com. The silent auction will feature items from donors and friends of Charlotte’s all over the city.

About Charlotte
Born in Fresno, CA, June 21, 1975, Charlotte always loved to be in the kitchen. She turned that passion for cooking into a career when she attended and graduated from Western Culinary Institute in Portland, OR.
After graduation she moved across the country to Atlanta, GA, where her career would soon take off. She has worked with many of Atlanta’s great chefs and restaurants including Gary Mennie at Canoe, with whom she later opened Livingston with; Atmosphere, and Taurus. In 2009 she settled down into the kitchen at Fox Bros. Bar-B-Q and in late 2011 became their head chef.
“Charlotte’s love for what she does shows in her food; there was no question that she is who we wanted leading our kitchen,” says Jonathan Fox, co-owner of Fox Bros. Bar-B-Q.

Chefs & Mixologists
The Atlanta restaurant scene is a tight knit family. We have assembled some of the finest chefs/mixoligists in the city for what will be a great night!
Ryan Smith (Empire State South)
@RyanSmithChef
Dave Roberts (Community Q BBQ)
@communityqbbq
David Gross (Cook Hall)
@CookHallATL
Eddie Hernandez (Taqueria del Sol)
@TaqueriadelSol
Irv Howard (Kevin Rathbun Steak)
@KRSteakBar
Ford Fry (JCT Kitchen, No. 246, The Optimist)
@cheffordfry
Guy Wong (Miso Izakaya)
@GuyWongATL
Jerry Slater (H. Harper Station)
@jerrywslater
Kevin Ouzts (Spotted Trotter)
@spottedtrotter
Kevin Rathbun (Rathbuns)
@Rathbuns
Muss & Turner’s/Local Three
@mussandturners / @localthree
Nhan Le (Octopus Bar/SoBa)
#OctopusBar
Ria Pell (Ria’s Bluebird)
@RiasBluebird
Ron Eyester (Rosebud/The Family Dog)
@theangrychef
Terry Koval (Wrecking Bar)
@WreckingBar / @TerryKoval
Tiffanie Barriere (One Flew South)
@OneFlewSouthATL
Todd Richards (The Shed at Glenwood)
@ChefTRichards
Zeb Stevenson (Livingston/Proof & Provision)
@the_chef_z

I've met and talked to Charlotte a few times and am really saddened to hear about her cancer. I bought a ticket and hope some of you will as well.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
How about non-pho/banh mi Vietnamese at Quan Ba 9? Colombian at La Casona? Argentinian/Uruguayan at Sabores del Plata? Peruvian at Machu Picchu? Salvadoran at Rincon Latino? Indonesian at Tempo Doeloe? Filipino at FilAm Star? Italian at Olive Garden?

venutolo fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 8, 2013

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Charlotte Nelson, head chef at Fox Bros, died this past weekend. :smithcloud:

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Here are a few reviews I found interesting:

The Spence on Chow Down Atlanta - Very positive review after both the reviewer and I have heard less than great reviews of the place.

Cliff Bostock's review of Gio's Chicken Amalfitano - Says it is the best chicken in the city.

The General Muir on Eat It, Atlanta - I had similar thoughts after my two vists: very good, pastrami could be improved, but really enjoyed.

venutolo fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 15, 2013

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

and I'm a richard blais fan

What do you think of Flip and HD1? I'm always a bit disappointed by them. I think they're solid, usually good, but never excellent, and I'm always surprised by the bill amount compared to what value I felt I got.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

13Pandora13 posted:

So my uncle is a James Beard semi-finalist for Best Chef in the South :woop:
Who is your uncle?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Carver's is closing.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
http://www.supportcharlottesweb.com/

quote:

Update 2.11.2013
As some of you already know, Charlotte lost her battle early Saturday evening. She was only 37. We all loved and cared about her so very much.
When Charlotte was first diagnosed the week after Thanksgiving, the initial talk was about this benefit going towards cancer research and that is exactly what we want to do now. We are partnering with an excellent research charity called the Breast Cancer Research Foundation. BCRF has the lowest overhead of any breast cancer charity we have found and uses 91 cents of every dollar collected toward pure research in finding the cure for this terrible disease. You can read more about this great organization at https://www.bcrfcure.org
————
Friends, family and chefs from around the region are coming together in a big way on February 26 at SweetWater Brewery. From 6 to 10 p.m. Fox Bros. Bar-B-Q will host 16 of the South’s top chefs to rally in support of fellow chef and friend, Charlotte Nelson. Charlotte was diagnosed with stage four inflammatory breast cancer in November of 2012. The event, Charlotte’s Web…Cancer Touches Us All, will include samples from all 16 chefs, passed hors d’oeuvres, live music from Moontower, and a silent auction. All proceeds from the event will go directly to Charlotte and her family to assist in medical expenses.
Tasting tables will be set up at SweetWater Brewery where donors will experience offerings from chefs of the region. US Foods is donating all chef proteins and Fox Bros. Bar-B-Q, and Big Tex Decatur will provide passed hors d’oeuvres. Cathead Vodka is among the distributors providing alcohol and signature cocktails are being crafted by some of Atlanta’s top bartenders including Irv Howard, Tiffanie Barriere and Jerry Slater.
Atlanta-based band Moontower will play at the event. The band’s motto and philosophy embodies what the evening will be about — “good friends getting together.” For more information about Moontower, visit https://www.moontowermusic.com. The silent auction will feature items from donors and friends of Charlotte’s all over the city.

Chefs & Mixologists
The Atlanta restaurant scene is a tight knit family. We have assembled some of the finest chefs/mixologists in the city for what will be a great night!
Ryan Smith (Empire State South)
@RyanSmithChef
Dave Roberts (Community Q BBQ)
@communityqbbq
David Gross (Cook Hall)
@CookHallATL
Eddie Hernandez (Taqueria del Sol)
@TaqueriadelSol
Irv Howard (Kevin Rathbun Steak)
@KRSteakBar
Ford Fry (JCT Kitchen, No. 246, The Optimist)
@cheffordfry
Guy Wong (Miso Izakaya)
@GuyWongATL
Jerry Slater (H. Harper Station)
@jerrywslater
Justin Keith (Food 101)
@food101atlanta
Kevin Ouzts (Spotted Trotter)
@spottedtrotter
Kevin Rathbun (Rathbuns)
@Rathbuns
Muss & Turner’s/Local Three
@mussandturners / @localthree
Nhan Le (Octopus Bar/SoBa)
#OctopusBar
Ria Pell (Ria’s Bluebird)
@RiasBluebird
Ron Eyester (Rosebud/The Family Dog)
@theangrychef
Terry Koval (Wrecking Bar)
@WreckingBar / @TerryKoval
Tiffanie Barriere (One Flew South)
@OneFlewSouthATL
Todd Richards (The Shed at Glenwood)
@ChefTRichards
Zeb Stevenson (Livingston/Proof & Provision)
@the_chef_z

I posted about this before, but I'm posting about it again because it is a good event and the ticket price is now $50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Sounds good. I don't know poo poo about Indian food, but I enjoy it. I have an appointment around there every other Thursday evening, so I imagine I'll give it a try in a couple weeks (unless they're soft open this Thursday evening).