Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
If anyone is interested in some photos and a brief writeup of the Charlotte's Web event at SweetWater on Tuesday: http://leahandmark.com/alexander/2013/03/01/charlottes-web-cancer-touches/

I loved the event and probably enjoyed it more than any other food event I've been to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Landrobot posted:

Chai Pani...

I went to Chai Pani for lunch Saturday and it was delicious. I had the bhel puri and one of the sandwiches (parsi chicken? - can't find a menu online) and a couple mango lassis. All were really good, with the bhel puri really standing out as exceptional and something I can't get out of my mind. I will be back to try more of the menu.

Parking at busy times will be tedious. While Watershed was inactive and Farm Burger was the only restaurant operating, parking was already tough around lunch on the weekend. Chai Pani was packed for lunch Saturday and when I left there were more than a dozen people waiting for tables.

So, congrats to Landrobot and the Chai Pani people on the opening. Despite being newly openend and swamped, everything was great.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
http://www.atlantamagazine.com/finalfork/

Iberian Pig being a 10 seed is an outrage!

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Safety Dance posted:

Is it just me, or are the Concentric Restaurants owned places kind-of ostracized from the rest of the Atlanta haute cuisine scene?

I haven't been to all of them, but of the ones I've been to, I've pretty consistently thought they were good, but not exceptional, and I didn't leave with an excitement to go back.

But, yes, outside of mixed reviews of the The Spence and Parish, and occasional mentions of Flip and HD1, I hardly ever read about the rest in the Atlanta food stuff I read.

venutolo fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 4, 2013

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Landrobot posted:

Glad you liked it! The Bhel Puri is a must-have menu item. My suggestions for those not familiar with the menu: any of the sandwiches or wraps are good. Be sure to sub the Okra fries, as they're incredible...

For other places:

I found this list of 38 must-try restaurants in Atlanta. Since I just moved here not too long ago, is this is a good place to start? I bookmarked a few of them as must-tries.

http://atlanta.eater.com/archives/2013/01/08/the-38-essential-atlanta-restaurants-january-13.php

MISO IZAKAYA and NO. 246 look pretty cool.

The http://sevenlampsatl.com/ is new and looks good. Has anyone been?

The bhel puri was so good. I haven't been able to get it out of my head since Saturday afternoon. I did have the okra fries with my sandwich, and enjoyed them. I was going to go by for dinner tonight, but Chai Pani is closed Mondays. Maybe tomorrow if I can get out of the office early enough.

I read Eater Atlanta regularly, and I think their lists are usually very good. That list certainly is a good place to start. If you are particularly into international food, you should also check out this map.

I really like No. 246. They do a porchetta sandwich at lunch that I adore. The same executive chef, Ford Fry, also has two other restaurants in West Midtown that are worth a visit: JCT Kitchen & Bar and The Optimist (though mindphlux had a bad experience and might advise otherwise). Around the same area in Decatur is Brick Store Pub (a must-visit if you are into beer), Leon's Full Service (gastropub from the Brick Store people), and The Iberian Pig (Spanish, tapas, pork).

Make sure you go to Holeman & Finch. It is my favorite restaurant in the city.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
If anyone is interested, here's a couple blog posts about restaurants I like:

Adventurous Tastes previews Chai Pani - I went to Chai Pani again today for dinner and tried a few new things and I really enjoyed it again.

Eater Atlanta compilation of a few short bits about The General Muir - I've been four or five times since opening and I rather like it. I really like Chef Ginsberg and his food.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
http://www.tablehopper.com/chatterbox/rumors-richard-blais-opening-a-restaurant-in-the-bay-area-and-als-beef/

quote:

A tipster let me know that chef Richard Blais (of Top Chef fame, and currently touring his first cookbook, Try This at Home: Recipes from My Head to Your Plate) is going to be opening a new restaurant in the Bay Area sometime in the not-too-distant future. He is currently house hunting as well, so it sounds like a move from Atlanta is in the cards. Stay tuned for details about the restaurant and more.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

RHIN0002 posted:

A couple days ago I checked out Banh Mi Cafe after checking out some yelp reviews. Apparently the cook worked at Quoc Huong for ~17 years, so it's nice to have an easily accessible banh mi joint that stands up to (and I think even possibly surpasses) Quoc Huong. They have a loving-out-of-this-world eye of round sandwich that will blow your mind. I've also checked out Lotus Vietnamese and it's pretty on point Viet fare.

I will have to check out Banh Mi Cafe. I adore banh mi, and Quoc Huong is my favorite place, so I'm up for trying any other banh mi on the same level. I will probably get it for lunch tomorrow.

I don't know terribly much out as far from 285 as as Pleasant Hill, but there are a few places I know and have enjoyed. There's BBQ Chicken and a fried chicken place (the name of which I cannot remember or find online) inside the Super H Mart on Pleasant Hill (opposite end of the market from the food court).

The food courts in the Super H Mart and Assi Plaza are both worth a visit. There is a Chinese noodle place in the Assi Plaza food court with and old dude making noodles by hand, and they're great.

Haru Ichiban has good sushi.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I think The General Muir has become my favorite restaurant in town. I loved Chef Ginsberg's food when he was at Bocado, and I think I like his food at The General Muir even more and I'm consistently impressed by the execution of every dish (perhaps not surprising since he worked under Alain Ducasse). My first visit was was a few days after they opened, and I was somewhat disappointed by the corned beef and pastrami (too chewy), but both have been vastly improved in two most recent visits, and now I think they're both excellent. Certainly there are many places in Atlanta with food I think is consistently excellent, but the enjoyment and satisfaction I get from Ginsberg's food and the service at The General Muir is just greater than anywhere else.

venutolo fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 17, 2013

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I suspect I feel the same way about Ginsberg that you do about Blais. I love the guy and his food, so I may have a bit of a blind spot.

The professional reviews have been positive:
John Kessler/AJC
Jennifer Zyman/Creative Loafing
Christiane Lauterbach/Knife & Fork (no URL because Christiane Lauterbach is old loving skool)

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
The pancakes at Ria's Bluebird are so drat good. I'm typically not very much into pancakes, but those are an exception. I went there last weekend and they were serving pancakes with those Samoa Girl Scout cookies in the batter and topped with whipped cream. The wait and parking at Ria's can be awful, and so I typically avoid it unless I'm going at off-peak hours.

Waiting for weekend brunch sucks. I don't love brunch food enough to wait anything more than 10 or 15 minutes for a seat. I don't get people who wait an hour for a brunch seat at Murphy's, Urban Pl8, or wherever.

In recent weeks, I go to The General Muir before the brunch and post-church crowd really gets heavy, and sit at the bar. I've only once waited for a seat at the bar, and that was the weekend when we set the clocks forward an hour and I got there much later than I usually do. I got there at a little before 10:30am today, and there was a 15 minute wait for a two-top, but there were four or five seats available at the bar. Hooray for dining alone all the time.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Again, Chai Pani is great. I really love it and have been very pleased in my half-dozen visits. The only issue is the parking. I wanted to go eat lunch there this Saturday, and arrived at about 11:40 hoping to beat the lunch rush by a bit so I could get a parking space, but every space was full. It was sort of a miserable day, so I didn't feel like parking elsewhere and walking over. I will be eating dinner there Thursday, and look forward to trying more of the menu.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Landrobot posted:

There's always tons of parking just down the road, where the houses are, turn right at that light. Just don't park in the residence reserved area, but the rest is fair game, and usually where I park. The Batdorf coffee shop across the street is killer too.

Which light are we talking about and from what direction?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I have it on good authority that Paper Plane is really good. They just opened this weekend. I hope to get there sometime soon.

Joy Cafe was recommended to a friend of mine by one of his friends who he claims knows food well. He said they have a Reuben to rival Star Provisions', so I went for lunch on Saturday. While I wouldn't say it rivals Star Provisions' Reuben, it certainly was a solid Reuben that did not disappoint and I was kind of impressed by this little cafe in a small strip mall on Pharr Road in Buckhead. The chef (or at least I assume it was the chef since he came kitchen and was wearing chef garb) came out and talked to me briefly and from our brief conversation it was clear he cared about food. I love both when a chef comes to talk to customers and when it is clear that the restaurant cares about good food. Anyone been to Joy Cafe and have any opinions to share?

I happened to be driving by Lee's Bakery on BuHi and decided to stop on in. I've never thought much of their banh mi, but they keep appearing on lists like this one: Here are 12 of Atlanta's Most Iconic Sandwiches. I hadn't been to Lee's since September 2010 (when I was on a mission to eat all the banh mi on BuHi inside 285, and I wasn't impressed then), but I thought maybe things had changed, or I had missed something.

Anyway, I still find their banh mi bland and think that theirs is the weakest banh mi along that stretch of road. I seriously cannot wrap my head around anyone finding Lee's to have the best, or even good banh mi (at least relative to other banh mi, since all banh mi is by definition good). I certainly know food enjoyment is greatly subjective, but I just cannot fathom how anyone could have a preference to Lee's banh mi over the other places nearby.

If anyone here does prefer Lee's banh mi to Quoc Huong, Pho Viet, Viet Tofu, Pho Bac, etc, I'd really like to hear why that is. I promise not to judge you too harshly.

venutolo fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 1, 2013

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

jooky posted:

I'm pretty sure Lee's bakes the bread for most other places (Quoc Huong included), so maybe that's a reason it always gets mentioned. I've had it and think its fine, but Quoc Huong has always been my favorite.

Yeah, they provide bread for a lot of other Vietnamese places, who then make better sandwiches with that bread! :argh:

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I really don't care for Yeah Burger's burgers at all. I'd rather go to Five Guys than Yeah Burger. And I completely agree that it isn't worth what you pay.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I'd be interested. I'd especially love it if the chef would educate us a bit about the food. I'd love to know more about what regions the various dishes come from, how the items may be prepared differently in different regions, what (if any) modifications to the dishes needed to be made due to what you can and can't source here or tweaks to appeal to an American audience. Basically I probably know less about Indian food than I do about any other cuisine I enjoy and would really appreciate some enlightenment.

Anyway, I've to Chai Pani a number of times and have really enjoyed it. I've had almost all the menu (probably need one or two more visits to have tried everything on the regular menu), and I love it. I absolutely adore the bhel puri and sev potato dahi puri. I could eat disgusting amounts of them.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Landrobot posted:

Also, who all has gone to Paper Plane? I'm thinking about going there this weekend to check it out.

I knew there was a restaurant I wanted to try this past weekend, but I couldn't remember what it was. :argh:

Anyway, everything I've read and heard has said it was great.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Got a sandwich named after me! (@Blue House Market in Norcross)

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Safety Dance posted:

---- Cowtippers (It's a gay steak house, but if you ignore the looks you'll get as a heterosexual couple, it's really quite reasonably priced.)

I did not know this. I drive by Cowtippers every Sunday on my way to brunch.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

crm posted:

What's the best casual Vietnamese place on the NE side of Atlanta along 85?

Driving down from Charlotte, in shorts and a tshirt.

Is Pho Dai Loi #2 on Buford a good option?

Pho Dai Loi #2 for pho is a good choice. Quoc Huong for banh mi. Quan Ba 9 (or Nam Phuong) for other Vietnamese.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
At this time, I plan to go, but I have a project due Friday, so I may have to work late Thursday night and miss it. It is too early to tell at this point.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I'm not really sure what to think of this:

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/staplehouse-a-purpose-driven-restaurant

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

I could tell you what I think of it, butttttt it's rather pessimistic...

Yeah, I was more sort of take aback by it all. The amount of money just flabbergasted me and I just couldn't process it all.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

kuskus posted:

-2 for Chai Pani. Sadly, I'm out (as is my +1).

Boo this man.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I really enjoyed the Chai Pani visit. Thanks to all, and especially Landrobot.

Landrobot posted:

If anyone wants to organize another dinner somewhere new, I'd be game.

If we wanted to do another restaurant meetup, I'm pretty sure I could arrange that at The General Muir and Community Q.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
On the subject of Korean BBQ, the AYCE Korean BBQ at 678 was in CL's recent 100 Dishes list: http://clatl.com/atlanta/all-you-can-eat-korean-barbecue-combo-at-678/Content?oid=8024405

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Simon Draskovic posted:

I had a chance to visit We Suki Suki in East Atlanta Village yesterday (right across from The Earl). I've never had any other Bahn Mi before, but this was pretty drat good.

I've never been to We Suki Suki, but, for me, banh mi is just about the most delicious food item. If you're interested in other banh mi, hit up Buford Highway (particularly between Clairmont and 285). There are a bunch of good places for banh mi there. My favorite is Quoc Huong, but there are other good ones like Pho Viet, Viet Tofu, and Pho Bac. (Anyone whose opinion is that Lee's is the best is objectively wrong :colbert:).

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I've been meaning to ask this for a while, but how do you account for items you've been comped when you're tipping?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

I usually just tip closer to 25 or 30% instead of 20% personally... Why, what do you do - or what came up that makes you ask?

I often get stuff comped at the places where I'm a regular customer. It is usually things like free drinks, or free dessert, or occasionally an extra side or something new that the chef gives me. On rarer occasions, it will be the entire meal or I'll just be charged $5 for my entire meal. Usually I just add to the tip the full amount of what I've been comped, so if I've been given a free $5 dessert, I'll usually add around $5 to the base tip. I was just wondering what others do.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

nice, that's some serious cred. I get an industry discount at RE/H&F, and a couple vietnamese places remember my order - but that's probably the closest I ever get to comped. :< do you like schmoose with the staff, or just eat at the same places a *whole* lot or what? or I guess just being a charming lad might be enough... :)

It is probably a combination of things.

First, I'm a fat, ugly bastard, so I stick out. I occasionally get recognized at restaurants I've only been to once or twice before, and since the server/manager recognizes me, I think they assume I've been there a bunch more times than I actually have and treat me accordingly.

I also dine alone nearly all the time, so a bartender/server/manager/chef might be more inclined to chat when they come by since I'm obviously not occupied by conversation. I also typically dine at off peak times, so the bartender/server/manager/chef probably also isn't as busy, which may make them more inclined to chat.

I also typically tip very well when I've received good service. I have tremendous respect for people who work in restaurants. They work so many hours on their feet, at job I would wash out from in a day or two. I have a cushy and well-paying job where I work something like 35 hours a week. Restaurant people work so much harder than I do (not that I don't put effort into my job, but it isn't the same physical effort and hours), and provide me the thing I most enjoy in life, so I want to give back in some way.

When I can, I may also try to thank the people in the kitchen because I really appreciate what they do, and while I assume compliments from patrons trickle their way back to the kitchen via the servers, I like to communicate my pleasure face-to-face when I can. A chef friend of mine said that he thought many chefs do what they do because they like to make people happy through food, so if that is true, I would like those chefs and other kitchen crew to know that they've done so.

I also imagine that my passion for and interest in food is evident when I talk with these people, and that they, and chefs in particular, appreciate that. Chefs also seems to like it when you "get" what they're trying to do with their food, whether that be to mix influences from multiple cuisines, breath new life into old dishes, or whatever. So, again, I imagine there is a mutual appreciation of each others' part in the dining experience.

So basically it breaks down to being a regular, tipping well, and talking to the people while demonstrating an appreciation of their work. I guess you could call it schmoozing, but that would seem to imply that the conversations with the restaurant people are superficial and selfishly motivated (i.e. the only interest being getting free food), and I really am interested in and greatly appreciative of their work.

I don't mean to imply that I walk into a whole bunch of different restaurants and get some super-special treatment like I'm some sort of big deal. There are just a handful of places where I'm a regular and known to the staff, and get above standard treatment. Typically that is free drinks or dessert, or the chef wanting to serve me something in particular (I love when the chef says something like "I've got something new I'd like you to try"). Every once in a while that will turn into $5 or completely comped meals.

mindphlux posted:

I haven't ever read 'eater', but this list is pretty good. I should probably just put this in the OP. http://atlanta.eater.com/archives/2013/04/09/the-38-essential-atlanta-restaurants-april-13.php

Eater's lists have been surprisingly good since they started covering Atlanta. I believe the first head/editor of Eater Atlanta was Jennifer Zyman, who used to write The Blissful Glutton food blog (which was in my estimation the best ATL food blog) and has and (I think) still writes for Creative Loafing and/or the AJC. When people are new to town or visiting for a few days and ask me for recommendations, I typically mention a few of my favorite places and tell them to look at the Eater lists.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

DNS posted:

I loved Blissful Glutton. She's writing more again, but it's not like the heyday. What are some well-written food blogs to look out for? They don't even have to be Atlanta-based, though it'd be nice.

It seems that Atlanta food blogging isn't as popular as it was a few years ago, so a number of the blogs I was reading have either stopped updating completely, or update with much less frequency than they used to. The ones I look at are:

Adventurous Tastes
Chow Down Atlanta
Eat Buford Highway
Eat It, Atlanta
Foodie Buddha
Savor Exposure (mostly food photography)

It is up to you determine if you think they're well written.

Mostly I get my information from Creative Loafing Food & Drink and Eater Atlanta.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Apparently, Hector Santiago will be the executive chef at Abbatoir. I'm certainly interested in this development.

Linton Hopkins knows what up when he says that The General Muir has the best weekend brunch in a little feature about restaurants he likes. I have literally been there for brunch every Sunday since they opened. This Sunday will be the first time I won't be as I'll be out of town.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
You'll also need to work on your boyish charm. And order the latkes.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Wait, you guys associate with OTP people?!?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

*Certain exceptions allowed

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

jooky posted:

Yes, but Tasty China II is ITP. :smug:

And gave me the worst food poisoning I've ever had. :colbert:

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Good Gunshow writeup:

http://www.atlantamagazine.com/dining/restaurantreviews/2013/07/31/gunshow

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I visited BoccaLupo for the first time and really liked it. I typically don't eat at Italian restaurants because I find that they're mostly either inexpensive and mediocre or expensive and good, but stuffy and too upscale for my tastes. BoccaLupo is sort of in the middle. I thought the prices were moderate and the food was really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Webbeh posted:

What'd you get? Their lasagna is pretty drat good.

Bruschetta "bahn mi" for a starter, then the strano pasta in a Gorgonzola cream sauce with mortadella and broccoli.

Mammon Loves You posted:

Gunshow is awesome and it's too bad that some Yelp reviewers can't handle the unique dining experience.

I get a laugh out of clueless Yelp reviews. I remember reading an Yelp review of Antico that criticized the fact that they don't serve buffalo wings, which every good pizza place should have.