Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

Welcome back-ish!

Talat Market would be my primary recommendation for something to eat that is new since you left.

emerald city bagel aint bad if you like fish on bagels for lunch

second talat

I enjoy bar mercado in ksm, dunno if that was there before you left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
haven't been to sushi hayakawa before, but going Friday. any ordering suggestions?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Lawen posted:

I haven't been since they reopened but when I was going regularly I'd just ask Chef Art for an omakase or whatever he thought was best that night.

If you drink a bunch of saki/shochu the kinda sketchy karaoke place next door with private booths is a fun way to finish the night. If you follow that up with bowling and late night El Taco Veloz you'll have recreated my bachelor party.

a+

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
ok so which one of you is the 'foodie buddah'

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
hattie b's
hattie b's
HATTIE FUCKIN B'S

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

kuskus posted:

I'll have to eat summa dat when they open on Saturday. I'll be around this weekend.

:ssh: they open on thursday

I'll be there, 5:30p sharp

just in town for a visit?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
sounds lovveeeeely

happy b'day!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

kuskus posted:

Thanks and will do.
Sunday is Attack of the Killer Tomato Fest... A Ford Fry Joint.
Considering it for the participant list.

Edit: silence speaks volumes, Ford fry can eat my rear end, etcetera

katrina and I will be at killer tomato fest - even for all my ford fry angst, it's my favorite food festival ever. I'm foregoing my ATLUTD season tickets and the world cup final for it even! (or may try to do 1/2 and 1/2)

hattie b's gets a 10/10 on food in my book. just as awesome as I remembered it being from nashville.

"drat hot" and "burn notice" are the same level of heat, just one has more paste on it than the other I'm pretty sure. "drat hot" is about the level I make my hot chicken at home for a crowd (so as not to offend) - I'd consider this kinda the minimum for nashville style hot chicken. "burn notice" is what I'm looking for in hot chicken though - vindaloo level heat. nothing excessive though still - no food they're putting out is even close to like 'inedibly spicy' or something.

mah gurl got "hot" out of caution and fear and regretted not getting the higher spice levels, fwiw.

sides were excellent. slaw and potato salad killlled it. collards and mac were fine, but nothing either of us were gonna write home about.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

kuskus posted:

My friend Alan does amazing things with hotdogs on Sundays in front of Queen of Cream. Next Sunday afternoon if you're out and about you must check out his flavors. Limited run softserve as well, I recommend Ohio Express.

Attack of the Killer Tomato Fest was really great! I'm almost tomato'd out but I came away with such fresh ideas. The tomato and chicken dumpling with tomato dashi was super.

woahh I missed that one! guessing it was inside JCT downstairs? ended up there last and 1/2 of folks were out of food.

saw you in line, and fully intended to hunt you down - no idea how we missed you through the entire rest of the festival. rip

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

FYI I believe that Meating Street BBQ in Roswell is now the best BBQ in the area (for my tastes) and the Po'Boy Shop in the same shopping center as Community Q is real good.

awesome, I have been meaning to check out the po boy shop. excited to give it a go.

I'm on shut the cluck up item number 17, and fully enamored. I figured I'd get sick of gastrointestinal distress and back down to the drat hot level, but it just isn't right without the burn.

I ordered a grilled tender with the spice and it was actually really good in its own right - I'm hoping a salad or something will appear on the menu and let me ingest spicy firey lard and chicken parts without a billion fried calories, but maybe just wishful thinking.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I took a trip to India over thanksgiving, and I'm pleased to report that buhi / 78 / atlanta's indian community does an awesome job of it. I didn't have an overwhelming amount of food that was qualitatively better than what we get here, nor that many things you just never see around these parts. there were exceptions obviously, lots of regional cuisine (goan, peshwari stuff, etc) that were a bit special, but just figured the experience was worth mentioning.

In reviews, what chall think about Watchmen? I've been 3 times now, mixed feelings. Same for Banshee in east atlanta.

Unrelated, I feel like there are a whollle lot of new places in Atlanta that have popped up over the past 3 months. Haven't been to any yet, but looking forward to making a deep dive during dec! If anyone has anything new and outstanding, let us know. Estrella is on my list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
anyone have the scoop on what happened to radial cafe? I used to get dinner there a couple times a year, used them for catering events a few times a year - always thought the food was solid/above average, if not a little boring. kinda like a highland bakery or alons level place. anyways they just kinda went dark as far as I can tell - I'd guess some family stuff or just an owner moving on from the restaurant game but...

venutolo posted:

My buddy Jarret is getting his own place: https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2018/12/13/eat-me-speak-me-founder-to-open-first-brick-and.html

Had the burger at Hampton + Hudson for the first time a couple weeks ago and it is great. Had it again today for lunch. Highly recommended.

that's cool, didn't realize you knew the dude. hope his place is a success, and curious to see if he edits at all with a full fledged restaurant. had some really good dinners when he was at the gato space, but also some that were just all over the place. anyways, definitely a positive force in Atlanta's dining scene, and awesome he's landing somewhere more permanent and living the dream.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Dec 14, 2018