Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

My experience at the Optimist was severely disappointing. While our appetizer was great (clam roll with kimchi vinegar), the harissa on my tuna was metallic and terrible, turning the entire entree into a monotone, bitter mess. My date's grouper boil was better, but the shrimp were overcooked, and it certainly didn't live up to the price. I'm usually forgiving about food and just try to enjoy whatever ends up on the table, but the longer I reflect on that meal the more disappointed I am. We'll give it another try given the great press it's receiving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

I had hopes for it, but it was just greasy and bland -- so much so that I can't remember what I got. Maybe a pork sandwich? The salt and vinegar fries were decent.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

It was decent for the price, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it. Fillings were tasty for fast food, but too many were too similar. I couldn't tell three of the bao I got apart. I'd prefer a higher filling:dough ratio, or a larger, more costly bao maybe. As it is eating 4-6 bao is like eating a bowl full of dough. Lines and wait are still a problem because it's new.

If you're around west midtown or tech already, though, it's a good, affordable option that's a step up from fast food, which is desperately needed in the area.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Landrobot posted:

Has anyone been to La Pastorcita on Buford Hwy?
http://www.yelp.com/biz/la-pastorcita-atlanta

I discovered it on Yelp tonight, as I was trying to find late night places, and I live almost walking distance from it. poo poo looks legit! If no one has been there, I'll try to go this weekend and scout it out, take menu photos, etc..

I mean, just look at it!

Haven't been in over 5 years, but it used to be good. Basic competence with Spanish will help it go more smoothly. It's legit enough that a group of uptight suburbanites I took there once after bowling across the street got uncomfortable and left before ordering.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

AgentHaiTo posted:

I went there twice and it was just bad. The first time I had the bbq buns, and I kept wondering why the meat was ground to a paste(And I just read in that link above that they used frozen buns, which explains that). Anyone the least bit familiar with chinese bbq buns would hate these, and anyone new to them, would not be impressed. At least get the food that is the name of your restaurant correct.
I have to admit, I am really picky about steamed buns, because I've been going to dim sum on Buford Highway to places like Canton House and Royal China for years since I was a kid. I live and work near Yum Bunz though, so I had high hopes.

They must have been renting that space for 18 months before opening -- although I wouldn't be surprised if the building management gave them some leeway since they haven't been able to lease out any of those storefronts for 5 years. All the lease rates are obscene along that stretch of Howell Mill/Marietta and it's a shame. It puts places like that Italian market (who had great sandwiches at lunch) out of business, and leaves most of the stores vacant nearly all the time. Octane's been there, what, a decade, but the only other things able to survive are overrated crap like Optimist and (slightly less overrated but still forgettable) Bocado that are just magnets for car-bound wealthy suckers that aren't going to walk around the area and keep smaller shops afloat.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

venutolo posted:

Yeah, gently caress people with cars.

I don't mean it that way, I just mean those places draw people who valet in and valet out and aren't going to walk next door after dinner for drinks/entertainment/shopping unless you cordon everything into a little theme park like Atlantic Station or White Provision.

jooky posted:

This place? http://www.toscanoandsons.com/

They moved to the Highlands now, which has to be fairly pricey, as well.

Yeah, before they left westside one of the staff said the lease was too pricey and driving them away.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

You guys keep listing the things that make Daddy D'z great. BBQ is a poor, dirty, sinful food and should be served in an environment of filth and good ol protestant shame.

I agree their brisket sucks, though. Pulled pork or rib tips are the way to go.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

I like Yeah Burger's beef burger, but I'm in the same boat in that I'd almost always choose 5 Guys for that genre of burger because YB's value just isn't there. Their bison patty is awful, though, and it's really hard to gently caress up a bison burger. They have a decent cobb salad, which is something most every place manages to do terribly despite how easy it is. Still pricey.

I haven't been to Flip since its first year because of novelty over quality. Has it improved?

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Lots of terrible BBQ opinions itt. Fox Bros, Community Q, Daddy Dz and Heirloom are all much better than anything I've had just about anywhere that wasn't a backyard smoker or fire pit and each has its own strengths and weaknesses. Fatt Matt's is good but about the same level as the local BBQ shop in any southern city. I can't fathom how anyone could prefer Sonny's to any of those places unless you just needed to get 8000 calories of meat in your stomach for $15.

I do wish we had a better vinegar place, though.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

venutolo posted:

Apropos of the recent mention of Texas BBQ, here's some Central Texas brisket (from Franklin Barbecue in Austin):

This is exactly what the brisket looked like at Bone Lick their first week.

Unfortunately I went back another dozen times since in vain hoping for a repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Speaking of Marietta St., Bartaco just opened. Nothing spectacular, downsized corn tortilla tacos with the usual protein, cilantro and onion. Sides are americanized caribbean. Everything was fresh; nothing stood out other than a few weak items: could scarcely taste the oyster in the fried oyster taco, barely a hint of curry in the curried shrimp (but at least they can cook a shrimp without turning it to rubber, unlike Optimist). Interior was bright catalogue-nautical and open without being loud. Prices were great for tapas, except for the cocktails which were all around $10 despite being weak and overly sweet. Not worth coming over to westside, but if you're already here it's nice to have another option.