Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Orzo posted:

Crits are fun though, until you get good enough at the game where you care more about each death. At which point you can switch to a server catering to your tastes.

I don't know much about the overpoweredness of heavy/demo but random crits gently caress me off to no end, I can't get any higher than around 20 kills on any class because around that time the law of averages means I will eventually get a random kill crit to the face, this pisses me off.

Also I can't switch to a better server because there are very few no crits servers around New Zealand and even if there were the utter shittiness of the valve server finder (which they refuse to fix despite it giving a crapload of people major problems for years, to focus on cash grabbing hats and other money making bullshit) means I can only find a few servers at a time. Even when searching the entire server population.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
I'm surprised to see so many people liking the DS Zelda games control scheme. I couldn't stand it, granted it had some interesting uses but to not even include a secondary control option to use the buttons is just needlessly enforcing a gimmick. Then again it is Nintendo. I want to play more top down Zelda games but at this rate I'm poo poo out of luck.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

sitchelin posted:

That is loving blasphemy. Blitzball was awesome. That said, I'd rather blitz/dodge lightning than catch butterflies in the woods, or make less than 0:0:0 dodging kamikaze seagulls while popping balloons on a chocobo.

Wasn't the lightning dodge for Lulu or Kimari's weapon, two super useless dudes? That's why I never bothered to get that one. I guess if you're going OCD then that sucks for you. I had the Pal version with 10 of every monster caught, every monster in the arena unlocked, all stats except luck and hp maxed, completed sphere grid etc. Then the fantastic device known as the Action Replay disk which I was using in another game corrupted every file on my memory card. Action replay not only dragged the game down it spat in my face.

Butterflies sucked but where not that difficult IIRC but that drat chocobo race. First time through the game I got it first time and was wondering what all the fuss was about, second time through took me many frustrating goes. Especially how you didn't really have freedom of movement, the invisible walls would drag you to some degree, throwing you into the gulls.

What I'm saying is bring on the HD version.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Jastiger posted:

Yes. It is a recurring and constantly updating game so if there is an update and they aren't removed it gives a whole new thing to drag the now updated game down.

Chrono Trigger

This game has been great so far, but I haven't finished it because of this ridiculous quest I have to do throughout time. Normally it wouldn't be a problem, but I have to literally stop, see the enemy get into formation, fight them, move on, etc. every time I leave the area. I really want to finish the quest but I'm at the point where it isn't the difficulty, it's the killing of enemies over and over again in a way that really slows me down. Why do I have to view them all fly onto the screen and attack me. Why can't minor trash mobs in these areas stay dead for a particular set time. UGH frustrating.

I'm a big fan of Chrono Trigger and this gets me as well. Cranking the battle and message speeds up a bit helps with the battle but not the whole HEY LOOK AT ME GET INTO POSITION part. After a while you become pretty adept at learning exactly where you can go to avoid some of them but some are inevitable.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
On the topic of crappy graphics I'm voting for bloom. The recent Syndicate was a literal migraine inducer for me and at the time, I don't know about now, there was no way to turn it down or off.

I'm also voting in general for lovely camera controls. This has been a huge issue, negatively impacting gameplay ever since the first 3rd person games came out over a decade ago. How in the hell does problem keep happening, are the people who make games that blind to it, or is it some higher up not figuring it is important? Hell if I know but christ it's a pain.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Another thing in Borderlands 2. The controlling of the vehicles is just total poo poo, this is not something that would be difficult to fix and was a problem in the first game as well. Let me turn with the arrow keys, this is not loving rocket science. Added suspension would be nice as well as a lot of times you clip a tiny piece of terrain and just go loving flying, or stop completely. Also the constant "HAHA MEMES" gets very tiresome.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

You should be wary that the invisible wall remover mod did some weird things to the characters in the game for me. Every now and then a quest NPC would move from their normal position to the top of an unclimbable mountain so don't be surprised if you have to noclip your way to finishing some quests. Still in my opinion better than the alternative.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Farbtoner posted:

gently caress.

I did this bit for the first time yesterday and I didn't know they could even hit you on that part. Then I went around the corner up to the T junction. That's how I lost 4 humanity and 30000 souls. Spend them don't keep them you idiot. Also how do you get a shield that can block these guys without taking a back-step when you get hit? I heard any two handed great shield but I did that with my eagle shield (the only great shield at that point that I had the strength to use) and still got bashed back and fell off the walkway.

Edit: Mimics - gently caress them. No idea it was coming instant death. Granted you only fall for that once but still it was one of the few BULLSHIT deaths I've had so far.

Now to tackle fatty and skinny.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
The New Zealand Maori accent being used for the islanders in Far Cry 3. It's hard to buy the whole fantasy island thing when the natives speak just like us, really takes me out of it.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

CharlestonJew posted:

Or an objective. And god help you if you have your thumb anywhere near the left stick during this process, because then you'll just roll off into the sunset.

Still not fixed on the PC. At least it's semi-understandable on consoles but not fixing it on PC is just loving lazy.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

SourceElement posted:

If you have the Doom 1/2 iWADs, you can actually use them in a bunch of fan-created engines designed to run them on modern systems. They actually treat Doom like it's Quake, jumping and crouching included!

Having played through both Doom games, and their respective "official" expansions about a month or two back, the level design is still pretty good in the base games. Tiggum was right with regards to "Thy Flesh Consumed," "Plutonia Pak," and "TNT: Evilution." When I played through them, I kept calling them Doom romhacks, because the level of difficulty involved felt about right for one. Some of the later levels in Plutonia/TNT were pretty memorable and felt Doom-ish, but they were few and far in between.

Most of the time in those level packs, you'd just be walking forward and suddenly be missing half your health, because you tripped an invisible trigger that teleported an entire closet of monsters right on your heels.

TNT is actually pretty good about the whole teleporting enemies behind you thing but plutonia, ugh. Seems like every time you hit a switch in that one a door open behind you and a bunch of pain elementals start making GBS threads all over the place.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

DStecks posted:

Holy gently caress you're bad at having opinions about video games.

I'm going to agree but apparently a lot of people actually think that way. I started with GTA1 on PS1 years ago and through each iteration I really liked how the cars handled, especially how the handbrake worked. All the way up until GTA4 at least where the cars were just absofuckinglutely hideous to drive. I'm not really sure how to describe it, shopping trolley like doesn't quite to fit. A pretty subjective thing but I couldn't figure out why people liked it, maybe Paper could explain what he liked about it.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Seriously. I don't care if carrying every gun in the game is unrealistic, I want them all.

Playing Doom for the millionth time and I can't agree with this more.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Mister Adequate posted:

Blitzball is actually one of the best parts of one of the best games and I would pay through the nose for either a FIFA style Blitzball game or a Footie Manager one.

Well FFX-2 is probably as close as you are going to get, you have to be able to sit through FFX-2 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Yeah Bro posted:

You can change it back to DS1's controls for jumping in the options menu.

Try getting used to the new jump controls though, I was crap with them at first but after some practice I found them much easier than the DS1 default jmp controls.

Content: The extraneous bullshit in Team Fortress 2, specifically not being able to turn it off. Extra guns are fine, they can gently caress the balance but whatever. Hats and random graphical effects brought on by special items however are a huge pain in the rear end and I hate them. My old computer that I sold to a friend used to be able to play the game pretty much maxed at 60fps constant but with all these effects and crap added, plus whatever they do to the engine, the game just chugs more and more with each update. A simple console command to turn off this crap would solve so many problems but for some reason Valve don't give a gently caress.

• Locked thread