Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008
I just started book 9 this morning. Since I alternate this series with Malazan Book of the Fallen, I should finish roughly around the same time as the rest of you, if I don't slack. I would ideally like to catch up and finish the series together with a friend who's waiting for the final book to come out. I've put too much time into it to quit now, and although I've been disappointed with the last few books (and probably will be disappointed with this one), I'll persevere to finish this series!

Not to deter people though, it's not the story that disappoints me it's the pace that Jordan sets after book 6 or so. Things just tend to take forever to happen, although I hear it gets better! Here's to a good series!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008

terminal mehmet posted:

Are you joking?

If it were, I'd imagine it'd have to be until all the crap it reveals before it's revealed in the main series has been read. Whenever the hell that is.

If it helps, I read it between books 7-8 and thought it fit well. It could also be that my mind just skimmed over small details I haven't seen yet, so take it for what you will.

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008
I just finished Book 9, and I have to say, (major series spoilers) I'm so loving glad Rand finally cleared Saidin. Now he can continue being a badass without nearly falling down everytime he embraces the source. Also, Dashiva was a Chosen? Totally did not see that one coming, and it felt a bit weird to be honest. I'm finally glad Rand is accepting help from Cadsuane, and Verin is too shifty for her own good.

Now to slog through books 10 and 11 to finally reach Sanderson's books. I may yet finish this series before the new book comes out! (I'm a slow reader).

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008

ZypherIM posted:

Yarr, I hope you keep us updated as you read through, and anyone new reading the series for the first time with us! Hopefully you'll reread the series at a later date, and start to spot little things sprinkled all over that add so much to the world. That, and those of us not seeing it fresh have fun watching you guys try to figure it all out, and get to remember the first time we read them.

I'll keep following this thread, because it's interesting to see people's reactions to the books I've already read. Unfortunately, some people don't know how to properly spoiler poo poo (like not mentioning what book the spoiler is from and dropping the spoiler in the middle of Book 1/2 chat), so a major bit was spoiled for me thus far. In any case, it's enjoyable enough that I'll reread it someday.

As a sidenote, while I'm waiting for my new books to come in...can anyone tell me what books the (book 3-4? minor-spoilers?)Aelfinn/Eelfinn stuff happened with Mat and Rand? I know it happens at two different points, but I'd like to reread those parts while I'm waiting.

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

I envy the hell out of you, I still remember my first reading. You're past most of the confusing-as-gently caress poo poo and on to the pure awesomeness of books 3-6.

after that, bear with 7-11. They're just not the 100% HOLY poo poo WOW WHAT THE gently caress OH GOD THEY'RE hosed OH gently caress THAT'S AWESOME that the first few get you used to. They're not as bad as most people say though, and they give you a ridiculous amount of context for the return to HOLY poo poo WOW WHAT THE gently caress OH GOD in book 12.

What always gets me through the books I've read, and will probably get me through 10&11 is knowing that Jordan always goes out with a big rear end finale at the end. It's always been worth it so far.

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008
Just got the 10th book in the mail. Since I'm such a slow read, I should have slogged through it by the time you guys finish another couple books.

I'm putting off Malazan Book of the Fallen just so I can be ready for the last book to come out next year. This had better be worth it!

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008
Crossroad of Twilight Spoilers:
I just finished the prologue, and forgot something vital I think. Dobraine was attacked and nearly killed, with a note in the intruders pocket supposably from him saying that the men were to be allowed to collect something from his apartment without issue. I distinctly remember Rand giving Dobraine something to hold onto, but can't remember exactly what it was. Was it the fat man angreal, or maybe a seal to the dark ones prison? I can't even remember if those were possibilities..it all happened so long ago.

Can someone fill me in on what I'm forgetting?

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008

AlternateAccount posted:

Yeah, everytime I hit Sanderson's writing it's just UGH. So much clunky and awkward phrasing :[

I feel the exact opposite. I read the last 5-6 books back to back and thoroughly enjoyed the Sanderson books much more than I did WH, CoT, and KoD. KoD was good(although it would be hard to not be good following CoT), but TGS and ToM were downright awesome. I've also never read Sanderson, for a reference point.

Different strokes I guess.

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008

Charlz Guybon posted:

EDIT: I don't care what the haters say, The Tipsy Gelding-Night in Hinderstap is an awesome sequence. Hillbilly Rage Zombie! :banjo::black101:

I can't believe people hate on this. I'm currently planning a small D&D campaign centered around a town with the same thing happening, inspired by that sequence.

It's gonna rock so goddamn hard, they won't know what hit them.

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008

Jedit posted:

A sequence that was far more badass when it was the Siege of Capustan in the Malazan Book of the Fallen.

This. Ituralde's scene was extremely badass and one of my favorite parts in the latter half of WoT, but if you loved that and haven't read Malazan's "Memories of Ice", you're doing yourself a major disservice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008

Charlz Guybon posted:

Tried to read Garden's of the Moon and couldn't get into it.

It's definitely hard to read and follow at first, but it's now my favorite fantasy series hands down. There's something great about the traditional fantasy model most books have like LoTR and WoT, but I really dig the Malazan's "Toss you head first into the deep end and see if you can make heads or tails of this ridiculously vast and complicated web of events which culminates into a huge bag of amazing at the end of every book."

Back on topic, I absolutely can't wait for AMoL. I'm having to pace my finishing of Sanderson's "The Way of Kings" to finish right before the 8th. I will then proceed to devour the book before school starts on the 14th, and I'm going to love every minute of it.

• Locked thread