Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Prison Warden posted:

He channels three times in EoTW, before the whole Eye of the World bit I can only remember two off the top of my head. One is the one you mentioned. One of the others is when Mat and Rand are trapped in an Inn later with Darkfriends about to break down the door, Rand channels lightning and blows the wall off and they escape I can't remember the other one.

You can always tell because, as Moirane describes, when someone is learning to channel on their own they become sickly afterwards. It isn't noticeable with Bela, but later Rand starts to get really loving ill for a while, then suddenly gets better, and it gets worse every single time

I'll be glad when we are at weekly here, as I'm a bit behind cause I've been busy the last two days.

It's actually almost bizarre how much of EotW is foreshadowing. It's almost an entire book of just foreshadowing.

As to those tipoffs,

1) Removing Bela's weakness. He later gets loopy and dizzy around the Whitecloaks and in the Inn in Baerlon, briefly.
2) Breaking loose the rudder on Domon's ship. He later gets loopy and dizzy up in the rigging.
3) Blasting the darkfriend with lightning in (Market Sheran?). Gets flat out sick in an inn and Matt takes care of him.

Almost every single thing that happens in EotW is not just a plot point but also foreshadowing or part of some puzzle. It's really an amazingly intricate book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Daedalus Esquire posted:

^ To have information that exact, I assume there is some WoT website equivalent of the Game of Thrones website towerofthehand.com?

This should be what you're looking for. Beware spoilers for well literally everything.

http://wotfaq.dragonmount.com/

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Jedit posted:

Sorry, Sloth, but there's absolutely no evidence for that anywhere in the books and several pieces of evidence against it. It's just a Loony Theory.

Maybe for the first sentence, but there's a great deal of evidence for the second, especially in the Big Book of Bad Art.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Quad posted:

Yay, I'm on TGH and will probably finish it at work tonight! What DOES "IT IS NOT HERE"mean at thr end of book 1, anyway? It is not here that the last battle will be fought? Creator has weird syntax. :(

Probably, yeah, it was the Creator telling everybody they have to go play over there, but that's probably the single weirdest and most ambiguously-interpreted moment in the whole series to date; it's sortof the Tom Bombadil of WoT, an ambiguous appearance by a maybe-Creator that mostly happened because it's the first book and stuff wasn't completely worked out yet. (Similarly, the Old Tongue passages in Eye tend to be "off" when compared to the old tongue in later books -- Jordan explained it in-universe by saying they were idiomatic useages, etc., but basically it was really first-book-itis.

Best solution; accept that it's a moment you don't fully understand because the POV character didn't fully grok it either.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Cartoon Man posted:

I'm at the part in book 2 where Rand, Hurrin, and Loial are travelling through the other side of the portal stone and Loial stops by a tree to make himself a Sungwood quarterstaff. I know Sungwood was talked about briefly in the first book, but are there any other examples throughout the series where Sungwood is mentioned or performed? Is this another example of Jordan coming up with a cool idea and not being able to find a good place for it to appear again?

End of Book 1, Loial sings to the grave of the Green Man to prevent the site of the Eye getting swallowed by the Blight. And he talks about it some too in the Queen's Blessing I think.

There are a few other points later on where it comes up as background flavor -- i.e., Aiel coming to a stedding to trade for sung wood, or loial being amazed to find a sung-wood bed at an inn they're staying at, but that's pretty much it.

The ability to sing any given wood thing you want is pretty neat but kinda gets outmoded after a certain point. I think of it as a low-level ability :P

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

ZypherIM posted:

How much do you all think that the journey by portal stone and viewing tons of their possible lives cemented Mat and Perrin behind Rand? Mat makes a comment right after, and at the start of 3 Perrin thinks about how the journey convinced him his fate was tied to Rand's.

Ingtar's stand is another scene I really like, there aren't many points in the series where someone comes back from the shadow, and the reveal (if you didn't suspect it) makes you think back to his actions, and is pretty poignant.

That's a good question. One of the really interesting things about WoT is how much the story changes when you think about it from outside the narrated PoV. Jordan does all kinds of neat stuff with point of view that gets overlooked because [fantasy novel]. What do Rand and Perrin seem like to other people who can't hear their internal monologues? What character changes are occurring even in the main characters, when they're on screen but not the PoV?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Zore posted:

Minor characters coming back ramps up as the series goes on. Some are going to become important, others stay in the background and some will get POVs. Basically if they have a name, and it isn't the introduction, they're probably going to be a recurring character.

Note that this is several hundred people over the course of the series.

I could be wrong about this, but I suspect Jordan wrote out names, histories, descriptions, etc., for almost *every* character, even the ones we never see on screen -- i.e., it wouldn't surprise me at all if somewhere in his notes there's a listed first and last name and description for *every* Aes Sedai and so forth.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

ConfusedUs posted:

The whole concept of Ta'veren is a really, really elegant piece of meta-fiction. All that ridiculous contrived stuff that happens in most fiction can and does happen in WoT.

But where it's often overtly hamfisted in other works, it's simply part of who and what the characters are in the Wheel of Time.

Ta'veren gets lampshaded constantly, and it works. The concept is internally consistent with itself and allows Jordan to pull his characters, at will, into and out of situations that make more sense as plot devices than as anything resembling realistic.

I wish I'd thought of it. I really do. It's genius.

Ta'veren,n.: in the Old Tongue, "Protagonist."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

werdnam posted:

Eye of the World: This was not as good a read the second time through as the first time. For one thing, I noticed how derivative it is: We've got orcs (Trollocs), a race to the nearby village we never go to (Bree/Taren's Ferry), Gandalf (Moiraine), Aragorn (Lan), gollum, (Fain), nazghul (draghkar), ringwraiths (myrddraal), a dark and dangerous shortcut through Moria (the Ways), the breaking of the Fellowship (everyone splits after the attack in Shadar Logoth), a brave suicide battle against the forces of the dark (the Shienarans battle), ents (Ogier), ...

Also, I think there are some narrative structure problems in that the resolution at the Eye of the World just comes out of nowhere and isn't really built up in the rest of the story, which is mainly focused on ultimately getting to Tar Valon. . . . Finally, the final battle felt a little too final for what is the first in a long series.

I think Jordan said in some interviews that he'd deliberately written the first half or so of Eye of the World to be familiar to people who'd read Tolkien. So yeah, it is derivative, but it was a deliberate choice on Jordan's part. He wanted to set up the tropes of "standard fantasy novel" before he started messing with the formula.

There are definitely some structural problems with the first book; the narration of the road to Caemlyn is all kinds of out of whack, and the final confrontation is more than a little confusing (though that's partly excused by the main characters themselves not fully understanding what's going on).

The reason the first book has such a feel of finality is that Jordan didn't know if he'd get a contract to publish the second book when he finished the first one. So since it might've been the whole story, he had to have an ending that could plausibly end the whole thing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Cartoon Man posted:

The Yellow Ajah is pretty useless until book 7 or 8 when Nynaeve starts learning how to heal using other flows like fire and such. Who would want to be in that Ajah? There is only one way to Heal, everybody in the Ajah knows how to do it, just about everybody outside the ajah with moderate strength in the power knows how to Heal. Theres nothing for them to research. What do they do in the Yellow quarters all day long?

I kinda wondered the same thing. I suspect that desperately sick people come to the Tower for healing fairly frequently, so that's probably what the Yellows take care of. If you get cancer in Randland it ain't like they have chemo.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

veekie posted:

Its always spanking.

Jordan apparently had some sort of spanking "thing." It's one of those things about the books that's really easy to miss until you catch onto it, and then suddenly it's spankings everywhere.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I think the Jordan argument for lack of language variation is two things:

1) Long history of relative unity under the White Tower, and

2) the preservation of printing. This is a big deal -- the only reason we can read Shakespeare today fairly easily, but a lot of us have a hard time with Chaucer, is printing; the english language changed more between Chaucer and Shakespeare (200 years) than it did between Shakespeare and us (400 years). Randland has unified printing and books, which has kept things relatively uniform.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

veekie posted:

Galad does the same with his swordfights.

For what its worth past era martial arts forms also do get encoded the same way into mnemonics, for a given type of offensive or defensive move. You then train these specific motions until they become second nature and you can perform complicated moves with a moment's intention. Its like macros for your body.

Wheel of Time just made it more flowery is all(most of those terms are supposed to be single words).

Not even all that much more flowery. A lot of kung fu forms and stances have similarly flowery names -- "White Crane Spreads its Wings," "Parting the Wild Horses' Mane", etc.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

I'm pretty sure defeating another Blademaster is one of the legitimate ways to earn it, and he did beat Turak in a straight-up fight.

Well, was it skill, or was it Ta'veren? Rand "cheats".

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Minor detail, but the heron-mark swords aren't quite katanas, though they're close. If we go by the marketed "heron mark swords", which we probably can because Jordan approved the designs:

http://www.designtoscano.com/product/wall+decor/armor+and+swords/heron+mark+blade+master+sword-+unsharpened+-+mr500058.do?sortby=bestSellers

They look about halfway between a katana and sa european greatsword (compare with something like a kriegsmesser). So they have a slight curve for cutting, but also a point (if not a straight point) and possibly enough mass for chopping.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Apr 22, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
One other interesting thing is that there's actually relatively little conflict between the nations of Randland. The big wars are against external threats -- trolloc hordes, the Aiel War. There are a few exceptions, but not many -- the only one I can think of offhand is the Whitecloak War. There's so much empty land that territorial conflicts seem pretty rare, and the White Tower defuses a lot of potential conflicts before they get severe.

So it does sortof make sense that training would be leaning towards the sword despite the existence of heavy armor, because use of heavy armor is probably pretty rare. The average Randland soldier seems more likely to be fighting on a small scale, doing something like defending a merchant's caravan or, at most, getting involved in a palace coup or something like what we see in the War of Andoran Succession.

One thing to keep in mind is that the pikemen/archer formation is specifically mentioned in the Big Book of Bad Art as something that Mat's bringing back in the Band of the Red Hand -- it was apparently the standard under Hawkwing and the Trolloc Wars, but isn't that commonly used at the "start" of Eye any more, basically because military training standards have declined (like everything else). It's the "way to fight trollocs" but it's not the way that, say, Cairhien fought the Aiel, or Illian fought Tear.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I'm going to ret-conn this issue in my head as a transcription error and he's actually referring to volleys.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

The Lord Bude posted:

are these real world miles or in world miles? because If I remember correctly the unit of measurement that Randlanders refer to as a mile is not the same as a real world mile, just like a Randland week is 10 days not 7

All is explained: Randland seconds are longer

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Yeah, it's funny to me to see how many people are going to WoT from ASoIaF when for many years it was the other way around -- Martin's series got its start because of positive jacket quotes from Jordan.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

arioch posted:

There are only really three female Forsaken seen "on screen" as of TFoH, Mesaana and Semirhage don't show up until LoC. Of those three, TWO of them are temporarily allied with Rahvin--Graendal and Lanfear--and have been seen/around in the Caemlyn Palace at some point.
. . .

Basically the only logical candidate at the end of TFoH was Graendal, and by the time she allies with Sammael then rifles through his poo poo after he goes down to Rand/Mashadar, that is entirely confirmed.

Yeah, the problem though was it's a fantasy series where characters can be expected to come back from the dead, and where deaths offscreen are virtually guaranteed to not have happened, so it was impossible to truly rule out Lanfear until we saw in later books that she'd actually died and come back and was thus actually taken out of the picture.

Overall it was a puzzle that was "obvious" to the writer, but not obvious to the reader, because the reader didn't know what the author hadn't told them yet (i.e, that Asmodean's death wasn't the first appearance of Mesaana, that Lanfear had actually died/been trapped beyond the doorframe, etc.) It was deductible but basically impossible to "know."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
It's important to realize that Rand's going crazy for two entirely separate reasons: 1) the whole taint thing, and also 2) holy poo poo, you people expect me to do what? I'm just a guy!

Part of what Jordan was trying to do in WoT is write "hero saves world" epic fantasy with a higher degree of psychological realism than had been done previously -- in the original concept, the protagonist was a war veteran (basically, that became Tam's character instead), with all we know now that implies. The idea was at least in part to show what that kind of pressure and stress would actually do to the Prophesied Hero.

So sometimes Rand's crazy because he's got LTT in his head and sometimes he's just in the throes of epic-level traumatic stress disorder.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Minarch posted:

Aside from Elayne, Perrin's character really is the most frustrating. Through the entire series, he never actually progresses like Rand and Mat (or even Nynaeve and Egwene). He starts off slow and whiny (but I don't wanna talk to wolves :( ), then he meets Faile and becomes even slower and whinier (but I don't wanna be a lord :( ). He becomes tolerable (even enjoyable) in Towers of Midnight, but it barely makes up for how boring he is in books 5 through 12.

I'm kind of curious as to what involvement he'll have, if any, in the final battle. So far, he's really only been involved with two plots of any significance (saving the Two Rivers and taking out the Shaido). If he wasn't Ta'averen, I don't think I would even consider him a primary protagonist.

I liked Perrin the most of any of the characters initially, but he really suffers from the Slow Times in the later books -- he just sort of gets lost chasing Rand's left-over Shaido and doesn't seem to have a point for three or four books. It's a shame because he had a lot of potential.

Casao posted:

This, except Nynaeve is the worst loving character. She's actually showing some progress toward the end of Lord of Chaos -- she does things and says things that aren't "Men are horrible and women are wrong and I'm the only person with the right ideas"

That said, the entire series has some serious "Men and women are completely different and it's impossible for any of them to ever agree unless they're in love and even then it's 99% arguing." It's a seriously bad undertone to everything after the first 2 books.

A lot of people find they like Nynaeve more on a re-read. When you read her when you're younger she's just "christ, this woman sounds just like my mom when she's angry, except ALL THE TIME", and when they're older it's "holy poo poo, I completely understand why Nynaeve is angry all the time, she's responsible for these kids that nobody else is looking out for, yet she's barely older than they are and nobody listens to her or tells her anything she needs to know or gives her any respect at all, so all she can do is constantly yell at everyone."

Like a lot of Jordan's female characters, she's not particularly likeable but she's very understandable.

And yah, Jordan does have some nasty gender issues going on in the text. To give him credit, he does have legitimately "strong female characters" like Moiraine that aren't just tits with attitude, which was pretty drat groundbreaking when he started writing (when Eye of the World came out, Piers Anthony was a major name). In the twenty-plus years since the books started, the genre's developed past him in a lot of ways, but part of the reason was that he gave it a push.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 29, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Paracelsus posted:

It's also worth noting that I highly doubt Jordan was writing Randland as some sort of Gor-style "this is how things ought to be done." It's a caricature that allows the author to examine certain things in a less subtle fashion than we usually see them, in this case distrust and anger between the sexes and the strife that results.

Yeah, this is the relevant Jordan quote:

quote:

For Anonymous-George, long ago I saw one of the first, I believe, novels about a young woman who wasn’t allowed to use magic or whatever because she was a woman, and the thought occurred to me as to how it might go if men were the ones who were denied the right to do magic. Or whatever. I hate using the word magic. From that long ago thought grew the One Power divided into saidin and saidar with the male half tainted and the reasons for and results of it being tainted. Now in most of these societies — Far Madding is the obvious exception — I did not and do not view them as matriarchal. I attempted to design societies that were as near gender balanced as to rights, responsibilities and power as I could manage. It doesn’t all work perfectly. People have bellybuttons. If you want to see someone who always behaves logically, never tells small lies or conceals the truth in order to put the best face for themselves on events, and never, ever tries to take advantage of any situation whatsoever, then look for somebody without a bellybutton. The real surprise to me was that while I was designing these gender balanced societies, people were seeing matriarchies.

I have gay and Lesbian characters in my books, but the only time it has really come into the open is with the Aes Sedai because I haven’t been inside the heads of any other characters who are either gay or bi. For the most part, in this world such things are taken as a matter of course. Remember, Cadsuane is surprised that Shalon and Ailil were so hot to hide that they had been sharing a bed even knowing how prim and proper Cairhienin are on the surface. Well, for many it is just on the surface.

https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1KC11jaLntu-qaywo1hVcCIcA8xGpiVi1ExvLAg4uUz8

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Hobbes24 posted:

QFT

I remember picking up Goodkind because I was looking for another epic fantasy to pass the time between GRRM and Jordan. After reading them, I can say he seemed to try to one-up Jordan on everything, with a severe right-wing philosophy to boot . . . Not to get too fat off topic, but during the reread, the comparisons between the two still stand out.

Still, Goodkind is more similar to Jordan than GRRM IS.

Terry Goodkind literally titled one of his books "Stone of Tears."

At one point Tor actually published a book of Terry Goodkind short stories with a "copyright (C)1990 Robert Jordan" error on the copyright page. No joke, that seriously happened.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Roydrowsy posted:

are those book, 9, 10, 11 really that awful?

8,9, and 10 are slooow. They're not bad if you really enjoy world-building but the plot barely even inches forward.

I view them as kinda like the volume in the Aeneid that's just an extended description of Aeneas's shield.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Turin Turambar posted:

A possibility: Part of the problem of the "annoying" characters is that they take too much space/time in the books so the reader hate them because it slow down the plot, Rand appears less and less because of them, etc.
Now, in a reread, you don't have the same drive to advance in the main storyline, to see what happens next; you already know what happens, you are just re-reading it the books because they are enjoyable, you lay back and enjoy the prose, even if the character is one of the "annoying" group.

I think that's part of it, but part of it is also that the annoying characters, at least some of them, tend to be a little more psychologically realistic. Nynaeve is incredibly annoying on a first readthrough as a kid, but re-reading as an adult she's really easy to identify with -- she goes from Annoying Angry Mom Character to "I totally get where she's coming from now that I have kids" on a re-read. Elayne is annoying as gently caress but her characterization makes sense given how coddled she was growing up. The whole Faile/Perrin dynamic makes more sense once you realize that Faile's reacting normally and it's all Perrin's "nose" making him act strangely that keeps setting Faile off.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Paracelsus posted:

Tall, handsome, and Ta'veren. With an emphasis on the latter. Probably has well-turned calves, too.

He's also probably the first guy her own age she ever met who treated her as an equal right from the first moment. Largely because he had no idea who she was, but still. Look back over those early passages in Eye and it's pretty clear Rand is the only "dateable" (i.e., not Thom or her brothers) guy she's ever talked to who hasn't either been completely dominated by her, or tried to dominate her.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

His Divine Shadow posted:

I'm almost done with Knife of Dreams now and two things stand out, I guess I will spoiler them, it's mostly about the Seanchan and Tuon.

And Tuon, wow what can I say? She is an unapologetic slaver that for a hobby enjoys destroying the minds of women who can channel and turn them into former shadows of themselves, little more than intelligent animals. It's almost worse than murder, maybe it is worse than murder actually, I dunno its pretty goddamn evil and repulsive though. Morally I have difficulty seeing how she differs from a darkfriend.

Not a big deal since the series is chock full of evil people after all, except I get the impression the author is trying to make me like her or give the impression she is supposed to be a good guy.

I think the point with that characterization is that Jordan's trying to at least argue that a lot of the perception of "evil" is cultural. In Tuon's mind, what she does is a necessary evil; if someone didn't control Aes Sedai, there'd be another Breaking of the World! Now, the narrative overall is also very clear that those actions are evil. I think the ultimate point is "well intentioned, likeable, "good" people can still do horribly evil things if they don't know any better because of their culture."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I think the general implication is that skin tone, hair, coloration, etc., is a lot more generally variable in Randland than it is in present-day earth (possibly due to scattering of peoples during the Breaking). The Aiel are a distinct people, of course, as are the Sea Folk, and there's general regional trends (i.e., most everyone in Two Rivers has brown hair; Cairhienin trend small) but it's not the same degree of uniformity.

I think with the Seanchan this trend is really exaggerated and it's all about power and rank, not race -- basically anybody can theoretically get demoted to abject slavery or promoted to the Blood on a moment's notice, so "blood" has become more a status marker than a racial marker.

You could probably write a decent research paper on the Seanchan, slavery, and Jordan as a "southern writer." Overall Randland society doesn't seem to have much in the way of racial bias (apart from, oddly enough, everyone thinking the Aiel are crazy murderers), just a LOT of social/class and gender bias.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 19, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Charlz Guybon posted:

EDIT: The end of chapter 36 has one Rand's most unstable moments in the first six books. The Merchant was almost certainly a darkfriend since a gray man traveled with her, but the way he just killed them all immediately made it seem like he would have killed anyone who happened upon him out there (it didn't seem like he sensed the gray man), and the rearranging the bodies to bow to him... You could already see him on the road to crazy town.

Yeah, that's one of the darkest moments in the entire series. It's also the point that sparks the whole "not going to kill a woman" thing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Wait, if you're cut off from the Source, can you still see weaves? What if you're severed?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Boofchicken posted:

I am pretty sure in the flashback that Rand has in The Shadow Rising when he is learning about his ancestors, shows one of them talking to "two ancient aes sedai" who were incredibly old. This was showing the building of Rhuiden. One of them is talking about the prophecy, implying she was around for all of the breaking and then some. So I would imagine some survived. I mean, they even talk about making The White Tower. So every Aes Sedai died and now random women who learned to channel again are going to make a city to live in? There had to be some who made it.

The impression I got there was that those particular Aes Sedai were the last living pre-breaking Aes Sedai, and that the Breaking was still going on (perhaps in its tail end) while Rhuidean was being raised. There seem to've been a few places like that (the Stone of Tear, the White Tower, Rhuidean) that were actually built during the Breaking by Aes Sedai.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
My personal theory re: failing nations is that it's been because of the dark one's touch on the pattern; after all, his prison is just patched, not sealed.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
What are those maps from?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Chamberk posted:

Just in the first section of Knife of Dreams, it's better than the books have been for a long time. I loved that.

However, I'm getting bogged down in Aes Sedai names. Obviously Jordan could keep track of all of them, but I can't - is there any site that does something like Tower of the Hand for ASOIAF and spoils selectively according to how far you've read? I keep on looking up characters and seeing stuff from the next 3 books.

For some books you can still find the WoTFAQ for that particular book but some of the earlier ones have dropped offline. Otherwise I think that kind of precise tracking is best saved for a re-read. It's kinda neat knowing which Aes Sedai turns out later to have been Black all along or whatever but it's not necessary on a first reading.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Chamberk posted:

It's so tricky to keep track of who's a Darkfriend among the Aes Sedai, but (mid-book 12 spoilers) Sheriam was a surprise. Other than that, I never can remember if a character is Black Ajah unless I've seen her have a conversation with a Forsaken.

The weird thing is, that's foreshadowed as early as Book 3 or so. Somehow while I was reading I managed to figure out that Verin was probably "reformed black" but didn't manage to figure out that Sheriam was black. I think I just refused to believe it because Sheriam is such a likeable character early on.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Blind Melon posted:

The best part is that they had a gray man with them, and were probably darkfriends, which only serves to justify his insane paranoia.

Yeah, that's the touch that makes the scene. A lesser writer than Jordan would have just had them be innocents and that scene would mark his descent into DARK and EVIL and GRIM. Instead, wait, he's right! That was a gray man! Maybe he's not paranoid and they are out to kill him! Maybe he really needs to be that violent and edgy just to stay alive!

In some ways it's the darkest scene in the whole series, and it's the little touch of the gray man that really shows what a masterful writer Jordan was.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I'm pretty sure it's an attempt to implement this, narratively:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangular_theory_of_love

Min is "companionate," Elayne is "Romantic," Aviendha is "passionate."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
There's also the fact that, let's face it, we actually know Jordan had an actual spanking thing because he made jokes about it at conventions etc. It's not exactly a secret. Jordan pretty clearly had some issues with women and discipline. That said, there are a lot of worse things in the fantasy genre than an author with a spanking fetish, especially when compared to really objectionable writers like Goodkind. A work of fiction doesn't have to be perfect to be good.

At least with Jordan there's a backstory and rationale to the BDSM and it never gets horribly rapey like such things all too often do in the hands of too many lesser fantasy writers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

theblackw0lf posted:

I think one of the problems the books have, especially the mid-range ones, is that Jordan repeats so many things over and over again. It's like he's writing to someone who is just picking up the series for the first time and is coming in late. If you cut back all the exposition from a book that goes over material from previous books, I swear you'd cut the book in half.

I wonder if the publisher was partly responsible, telling him to write each book in a way so that it would be easier for new people to pick it up.

My guess is that stuff is in there for more casual, slower paced readers who might have forgotten most book 3 by the time they got to book 9, etc.

• Locked thread