Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

Well you're just going to have to get over that.
Well I might as well throw in my stick too. Started it yesterday, I'll be all caught up by tonight. I hope we don't lose the OP halfway through, posting everyday is hard!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

One posted:

Not all spoilered text is created equal. I should have known not to read the spoilered stuff but I foolishly assumed it would be about stuff within EOTW. My own fault. It kills me though because I like to go into books and movies with as blank a slate as possible. I don't even like reading the backs of books.

Me too, curses.

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

Jedit posted:

Is New Spring going to be included in this re-read at any point?

I'm planning on squeezing in New Spring after Book 10. That's when it was published and based on a very brief Google session that seems like a good time for it. Sounds like the thread will be skipping it though. I don't really mind either way, I can catch back up in Book 11.

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

Prison Warden posted:

And now it's time for!

Wheel of Time cliché corner!

Books Finished: 1
Braids Tugged: 1
Blood and Ashes!: 35
Woolhead: 6

This is awesome! This works so well with having the ebook version too, you can search for the phrases. Might go play with that now actually.

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

God, the poo poo these characters go through in the first book. I mean c'mon, any normal person going through this much poo poo would be hosed for life and have to go through years of therapy. Especially the Ways, holy crap were they way more terrifying than I remember.

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

Obviously I'm going to have to finish the series then come back and start this thread from the beginning. I don't remember half the things people are mentioning!

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

I feel the tone of the series changes a lot between books 1 and 2. All of a sudden we're not just following a group of adventurers, but the entire world comes into play, as even in the prologue he starts getting us used to all the different provinces and their inherent personalities (and dress codes). It's like the Wheel of Time has really begun for me here.

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

Neurosis posted:

gently caress all of you, you dweebs have drawn me away from sophisticated books to read an overly long fantasy series I haven't touched since I was fairly young.

To my surprise, the quality of writing is not as bad as I expected, and it stands up much better than other stuff from my childhood. The only really glaringly stupid thing so far has been when Moirane was confronted with an angry mob of ignorant villagers and she decided the best way to quell it was to give a history lecture, which was meant to be full of pathos but came across as hammy and out of place.

I liked that part :smith:

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

omnibobb posted:

Just how I always imagined it!

Love it.

This book makes me feel a lot more sorry for Rand than I remember being. I thought there was more Egwene/Nynaeve at the tower too, maybe that's next book? I remember a lot of events but the timeline is all jumbled in my head now. I was seriously surprised when they went to Cairhien in this book, I thought that was like book 4.

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

A lot of stuff seems a lot longer when you have no idea how long it's going on for. I remember Egwene's captivity seeming to go on forever, but reading it now, it's over in no time.

I never thought about it this way, you're totally right.

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

Please, no break. This is a good pace.

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

A lot of stuff seems a lot longer when you have no idea how long it's going on for. I remember Egwene's captivity seeming to go on forever, but reading it now, it's over in no time.

So I just got to this part. My mind is loving BLOWN. I thought this happened WAY later in the series. Man my timeline is off.

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

omnibobb posted:

Yeah, I figured it out to early-mid November, so we got 2 extra months. I think we can keep the same pace, as it's slower than most people are reading, so we can throw in some breaks, and stretch out book 10 and 11 if we need to so people don't get burnt out.

Or add in New Spring!

Please don't throw things at me.

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

berenzen posted:

Oh, if we do decide at one point to read a different novel in order to pace ourselves (New Spring won't take more than 2 weeks tops) I would recommend that we have a group reading of one of Sandersons novels, so people can get a little used to his writing for the last 3 books.

This isn't a bad idea. I've never read Sanderson so don't know his style at all.

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

I've been doing a good job in keeping with 2 or 3 chapters a day until it hit the end of Book 2. Then I COULD NOT make myself put it down, the climax is amazing :3:

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

omnibobb posted:

For me, books 3-6 are the high point of the series.

Agreed completely. I am having a really hard time stopping myself now so I don't get ahead. I just want to keep reading.

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

Is it next week yet? I couldn't stop myself from powering TDR last week and now I'm sad. I ended up reading the climax out loud to someone who was in the room and we were both just quiet for a minute when I was done. So awesome!

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

cryptoclastic posted:

Two weeks? Then let's say this week...

The Shadow Rising: Chapters 37-47.

Then we'll finish her off next week with 48-58, and start FoH the week after.

If no one else actually does this, I don't care. I just like making specific goals for myself. Keeps me on track and allows me to read other books at the same time if I please.

Sounds good! I like goals too.

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

cryptoclastic posted:

This week, [bold]The Fires of Heaven chapters 47-56 (finish the book!)[/bold]

The battle in Cairhien is one of my favorite parts of the entire series. I remember being amazed by Mat way back in the day from these chapters and it still hasn't changed. Amazing.

I agree! :allears: I love Mat so much, although I never thought I would miss Perrin. He's never been my favorite, but I'm looking forward to having him back soon. Although, this was my first book I rated as 4/5 stars on Goodreads - the Robert Jordanisms were really getting to me, especially the "It's ok if I'm sexist if both sexes do it right?!" Great book though, I couldn't put it down.

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

just like a Randland week is 10 days not 7

:aaaaa:

I had no idea. Seriously, how did I miss that?

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

I have no clue. I read up through book 9 about 6 years ago and but I remember very little past book 4. I didn't even remember that Asmodean became his tutor. :eng99:

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

theblackw0lf posted:

I'm about a third of the way through Fires of Heaven, and there's something that's really bugging me.

Mat knows that Morgase's adviser is a Darkfriend. I'm pretty sure Mat knows that Egwene has been meeting up with Elayne and Nynaeve in dreams. So why in the world hasn't he told Egwene, or anyone for that matter, that hey the queen of Caemyln has a darkfriend for an adviser?

Also after what book is it safe to read New Spring?

I'm planning on reading it after book 10, because that's when it was published.

As for Mat, I thought it was because he was still in denial about the whole thing.

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

Someone please remind to stop clicking on this thread until I finish the series. Spoilers abound :(

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

cryptoclastic posted:

Having problems keeping up these days. However, we must continue!

A Crown of Swords, prologue through Chapter 7

Does anyone know where we're supposed to be in the reread? This is the last chapters I could find, and that was posted like a month ago. Finishing Crown of Swords this week perhaps?

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

That's awesome, thank you! When it's mapped out like that, A Memory of Light seems like it's just around the corner. I can hardly wait!

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

There's only a few points to be made about New Spring. You first get to witness the foretelling of the Dragon Reborn. You also get to finally see what the test for the shawl is like, it wont be shown again untill Nynaeve takes it in book 13. Then you get to see bitchy Cadsuane asking other Aes Sedai to pour her some tea. You learn a lot about Lan's backstory and how Malkieri handle relationships, marriage, and sex. You get to see the scene where Moiraine dumps a lake on Lan that was referenced way back in book 1. Finally Moiraine kills a member of the Black Ajah and then bonds Lan. They ride off into the sunset looking for the Dragon Reborn.

Its honestly written for the fans of the series and is not meant to be read first. If its your first introduction to the Wheel of Time, you wont care about any of this at all because you wont be as invested in the characters as the rest of us were because we had already read up to book 7 at the time New Spring had come out.

Sorry, don't want to be pedantic, but it was published after book 10. That's when I plan on reading it although I'm worried that going book 9, 10, then New Spring might suppress my will to live.

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

cryptoclastic posted:

September 10-16: Crossroads of Twilight, chapters 5-13
September 17-23: Crossroads of Twilight, chapters 14-22
September 24-30: Crossroads of Twilight, chapters 23-30(finish)
October 1-7: Knife of Dreams, prologue-chapter 5
October 8-14: Knife of Dreams, chapters 6-17
October 15-21: Knife of Dreams, chapters 18-26
October 22-28: Knife of Dreams, chapters 27-37, epilogue(finish)
October 29-November 4: The Gathering Storm, prologue-chapter 11
November 5-11: The Gathering Storm, chapters 12-25
November 12-18: The Gathering Storm, chapters 26-37
November 19-25: The Gathering Storm, chapters 38-50, epilogue(finish)
November 26-December 2: Towers of Midnight, prologue-chapter 14
December 3-9: Towers of Midnight, chapters 15-25
December 10-16: Towers of Midnight, chapters 26-42
December 17-23: Towers of Midnight, chapters 43-57, epilogue(finish)
January 8: A Memory of Light, GOGOGOGOGOGOGOGO!

I just wanted to repost this from a few pages back. I'm somehow right on target of where we're supposed to be, which is amazing.

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

Yesterday I nabbed The World of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time for super cheap. Leafing through the pages, there are several instances of the Seanchen being depicted as straight up Japanese. One of them even has a red sun flag in the background, with a woman in a leash and collar. Is this how we are supposed to be picturing them in the books? That imagery is pretty messed up. It seems pretty racist, what with the "Empress" and their intense imperialism.

I guess, with the slurring accents, I never stopped looking at them as manifest destiny fantasy Texans. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I can post that picture of them if anyone wants to see it.

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

Antioch posted:

It is colloquially referred to as the "Big Book of Bad Art" for a reason.

Well..it will...look pretty on the shelf I guess? It was cheap enough that I don't mind. Hard to believe they wanted 40 bucks for it when it was first released though.

Glad to know I can dismiss that particular painting, though in the Wheel of Time role playing book they had a picture of a Seanchen wearing samurai armor. I should go back and make sure it wasn't supposed to be a Shienaran though.

The best part of the bad art book is the ogiers. Oh lord, the ogiers.

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

I'm one of those lost-interest-at-book-10 like a lot of fans out there. So having started the reread along with this thread, I am now in book 11 for the first time.

I have to say, I've already had two jaw drop moments and I'm only 30% in. The opening scene with Galad and Valda was amazing. Finding out what was in Thom's letter he's been fingering for literally 6 books at this point was spine-tingling. Major return to form here.

Also, because I can (I really am a gigantic fan, it's embarrassing):

It should be finished just in time for A Memory of Light.

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

Just finished The Gathering Storm. I am impressed. It started off slow and the constant use of character POVs questioning themselves incessantly really wore me down. (Am I doing the right thing? Do I have a choice? There's nothing else I can do...is there?) Especially when it was Perrin as I've never been a huge fan. No clue whether that was RJ or Sanderson though.

The scene with Semirhage was awesome. It completely surprised me and I had to cover my mouth to disguise my "oh" of horror. I thought for a minute there he might actually kill Min and I was all oh gently caress no

End of TGS spoilers:

FINALLY something went right when Egwene is met by the Aes Sedai BEFORE she could attack. I just knew it was going to be one of those "if you'd only waited 5 more minutes!" Thank god.

Asmodean spoilers from Towers of Midnight (I think):

I couldn't take it anymore and had to go look it up. Graendal? REALLY? That was supposed to be "intuitively obvious"?

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

Not a fan of how two random characters are introduced out of nowhere and start hunting down the black ajah in the tower. This really, somehow, should have been being done by the wondergirls or other main characters.

I don't remember this part. Who were they again?

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

^^ Edit: Whoops, new page. The other thread is probably better! ^^

I'm guessing at this point it's ok to talk without spoilers. The thread hasn't been kept up in ages, but technically we were all supposed to be finished with A Memory of Light in mid-February. Personally, I was disappointed. But the scene with Lan and the Wyld or w/e is human name was, was AMAZING. One of the most epic, if not THE most epic, thing I have ever read.

AreYouStillThere fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

Hopeford posted:

I actually liked that it happened offscreen. I just love the tone shift from "No. I'm not doing it. No way." to him being almost half-ashamed of having done it while everyone else is celebrating.

Still on Fires of Heaven, I don't know if I'm supposed to be feeling this way or not, but Galad is goddamn hilarious. He's just like, SO DOWN with everything. He'll start riots to keep a promise, but he won't haggle the price of a journey because, dude, that's just not very polite. He's so cartoonish even other characters in the book think he's insane. And then if someone gets mad at him, he goes full innocent anime protagonist on them. :allears: I don't care if everybody else hates him, he's my third favorite character right now behind Mat and Lan. His bits are so surreal, dude bends reality before bending his ridiculous, cartoonish morals and it's hilarious to read.

I'm not sure Galad gets quite that much hate - it's Gawyn we all hate so much. I have a real soft spot for Galad myself. Gawyn has no character arc and is the most annoying, and manages to make every character he's in a scene with worse.

• Locked thread