Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Nice! This will give me reason to get back into reading these. I left off several months ago at Chapter 42 of The Great Hunt, mostly due to actually not liking book 2 very much. I just caught myself up using the chapter summaries at http://www.thonky.com/wot/ and I'm going pick it back up.

Book 2 stuff: I remember being really happy when Egwene got leashed, I don't know why maybe because it was the only hope of any real action after all the daes dae'mar garbage. Really that was the worst part of the series so far.. I'm really hoping that the Seanchan play a bigger role soon. They're too badass to be written about as little as they are so far.

Glad I found this thread. I'm going to head to the local used book store and try to pick up the next few books so I'm prepared, and might start rereading book 2 and keep along with the thread. Or even, anybody have any copies for books 2 and 3 they'd like to send my way (I'll pay. I prefer the paperback versions like this (and it doesn't matter how beat up they are)?

Question / idea: Since we're doing it as daily / weekly discussions would it be a good idea to have posts for each day, something like

quote:

:siren:Week 2, Monday 16 January - 23 January, The Eye of the World: Chapters 17-35:siren:

Anyways looking forward to joining this thread.

Also, this should totally be in the OP http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AjIJEOm_DU

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

omnibobb posted:

Yeah, I was doing that when it was daily, just without the sirens/bolding. Mainly because i generally post from my phone.

That's cool, I was just thinking the sirens / bold thing would help it stand out a little more as a general "discussion will be about this now" thing. Either way, thanks for the thread, I can't wait to get more involved.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
In my mind it's:
KAI-ree-in
Ni-neev
Mwo-rain (ends up sounding almost like Mirena (the vagina thing) when spoken aloud.)
Egg-win (I can never stop reading it like this, no matter how hard I try.)

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

AreYouStillThere posted:

I feel the tone of the series changes a lot between books 1 and 2. All of a sudden we're not just following a group of adventurers, but the entire world comes into play, as even in the prologue he starts getting us used to all the different provinces and their inherent personalities (and dress codes). It's like the Wheel of Time has really begun for me here.

I agree completely and I think this is one of the reasons why I like book 1 a lot better. All the provinces and lore is cool and all but it really just loses my interest. Especially when the keep going on about daes dae'mar. Book 1 seemed much more of a faster pace. My hope is that the series gets back to the tone of book 1.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Mazed posted:

It never quite does, but a good thing to bear in mind is that the idea behind this story is a true end-of-an-aeon conflict that's supposed to involve the whole world, and though it does center around a fairly well-established group of characters, a great deal of WoT is spent very carefully, very deliberately drawing everything into the mix.

"Ambitious" is a bit of an understatement when it comes to the heights it reaches, but it's up to the individual reader to determine whether or not the whole thing works, but it's a judgment best cast in hindsight, I think--as much of a slog as it can become, the moments of payoff are extremely worth it.

On a completely unrelated note: Whenever Rand, Mat, and especially Perrin is the point-of-view, try to picture everything they say and do without their internal monologues. Particularly if you're re-reading. Something rather interesting happens.

Actually this might help me enjoy it more, thinking of it on the grand scale. I guess I've been reading too many stories about smaller groups of adventurers, etc.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
This is my first time reading through the series so I'm enjoying everything fresh. 3 more chapters in book 2! (This is awesome)

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

I envy the hell out of you, I still remember my first reading. You're past most of the confusing-as-gently caress poo poo and on to the pure awesomeness of books 3-6.

after that, bear with 7-11. They're just not the 100% HOLY poo poo WOW WHAT THE gently caress OH GOD THEY'RE hosed OH gently caress THAT'S AWESOME that the first few get you used to. They're not as bad as most people say though, and they give you a ridiculous amount of context for the return to HOLY poo poo WOW WHAT THE gently caress OH GOD in book 12.

Good to know! Book 2 was almost losing me entirely until it got toward the end.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I think I missed something.

In TDR prologue, why does Byar think Perrin is a darkfriend and betrayed them?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Cartoon Man posted:

I just read the section where the super girls return to the White Tower after the events in book 2. Holy gently caress did they go full blown retard mode when the Whitecloaks showed up. I WILL NOT BE CHAINED AGAIN!!!:argh: The first of many times Egwene will scream this over the course of the next 10 books.

I thought this was a pretty badass moment. I can understand their impatience first with Mat's situation, and also see how they could've thought the Whitecloaks were ready to attack. Verin had to be a total stick in the mud.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Cartoon Man posted:

It was stupid for Elayne to blurt out, "I am the Daughter-heir of Andor and you will let me pass right now!" and for Egwene to reveal that they came from Falme where bunches of Whitecloaks died. I also don't think it was the smartest move to make the ground explode when Aes Sedai have spent the past 1000 years or so trying to convince the world that they wont attack anybody that isn't Shadowspawn.

All they had to do was shutup and let Verrin talk their way through. This won't be the last time the Supergirls get into trouble like this.

Okay well fine maybe it would've been more rational to let Verin talk her way through, but explosions make for a much better read than more dialogue. I gave a small cheer and look forward to more explosions.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Oh my god I will never keep up with this thread, how do you do it.

I'm only on book 3, [excuse]I got in an accident and was hospitalized and operated on and these pain meds make it hard to focus on books (or anything) for any given amount of time.[/excuse].

Anyways, as of now, 1/2way through book 3, I don't care what's happening to the girls and their hunt for the black ajah, Rand isn't talked about enough and is only mentioned in dreams (but is becoming more crazed and therefore more awesome (he just killed the 10 travellers and lined up the corpses bowing to him)), Perrin is doing awesome stuff (just freed the caged Aeil and fought to free him), and the Mat and Thom parts are the best (my favorite parts in the book so far are anything with Mat in it).

Just wanted to voice my opinion. I hope to catch up.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Daedalus Esquire posted:

I think you're in line with the entire thread on not really caring about the girls, it's not until pretty late in the series that Egwene and Nynavaiealkjdfois become interesting/not terrible.

Also, the thread is officially at the end of book four (I think a lot of us are ahead of the official thread location anyway) so I wouldn't worry about spoiling book three stuff. Also, be careful reading non-spoiled text until you catch up, as there will be unspoiled content in the thread.

Yeah I really wasn't sure whether or not to [Spoil] so I erred on the side of caution.

I just read 3 or 4 chapters about the girls that were actually pretty bad rear end. The Blue Crane ran over a sunken ship and became stuck so the girls were dropped off ashore. They came across the wounded Maiden of the Spear and Nyneave performed her first healing. The girls were then abducted (a little too easily I thought) and as they were ready to break free of their cells the Aeil warriors busted in and slaughtered everyone except the three Myrddraal, which the girls took out in a pretty awesome Saidar combo.

There really is just an excess of tugging braids and crossing arms under breasts and I really don't care if they all lust for the same guys.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I've been doing the same thing when a character enters a room and he proceeds to explain every single detail of the room.

Its always in the middle of action too.

made up example posted:

As he burst into the room to warn her of the Trollocs outside the inn, he paused to notice the intricate carvings on the furniture. Much more beautiful than any carvings he had seen back at home in the Two Rivers, he realized that perhaps this was the sung wood Loial had spoken of. In the corner of the room lay a large chair with purple velvet pillows stitched by golden thread. The chair itself seemed big enough for an Ogier to sit comfortably on. (Goes on for another half page) Light! I almost forgot why I charged in this room in the first place!

Probably a terrible example but it's the best I can type with my thumbs for now (phone app)

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I might surprise myself and actually catch up. Just finished the second half of book 3, 300something pages in 3 days. I haven't read anything that fast since Dune.

End of book 3 stuff:
Mat's basically my favorite character. Thom my second. Him and Thom together were awesome. I do hope Thom recovers :ohdear: (and Zarine!) :ohdear:

I like Mat's fight scenes so much better than Rand's mainly because I've realized that I skim over all of the Flame Dances on the Rooftop, The Hummingbird Suckles the Nectar, The Tree Falls in the Woods, The Paint Dries on the Wall, etc. It was really cool at first, in book 1 when Rand was learning all the forms, but sometimes it just feels like their just made up for the sake of writing more stuff, I don't know.

That last few chapters though, freaking awesome. Rand was a beast and I love the Aeil.

Excited to start book 4!

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

DarkHorse posted:

I agree, it is an incredibly clever way to portray a swordfight in compact prose: you use a short evocative phrase that can convey direction, strength, subtlety, or whatever in an amount of time that it would be possible to think if you're fighting almost on instinct. Fighting between two matched fencers should stretch them so far there's no time for complex thought, and bogging down the narrative with detailed description slows the (mental) action down.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, or the wrong way. As I read it now it feels more like Rand is mentally thinking sword form, almost like fighting game characters shouting out their moves, as opposed to simply what he's actually doing. How many years have passed since he started learning forms from Lan by the end of book 3? By then he still admits to not having earned the heron marked blade yet.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

veekie posted:

Galad does the same with his swordfights.

For what its worth past era martial arts forms also do get encoded the same way into mnemonics, for a given type of offensive or defensive move. You then train these specific motions until they become second nature and you can perform complicated moves with a moment's intention. Its like macros for your body.

Wheel of Time just made it more flowery is all(most of those terms are supposed to be single words).

Oh yeah I do know what you're talking about with martial arts forms and all, I actually taught for 7 years (and I usually don't like bringing it up because people get stupid talking about martial arts). Maybe that's why I've got an odd viewpoint on it, I don't know.

Recursive Expanse posted:

Being as stiff with praise as Lan is, Rand might be considered a blademaster at the beginning of book two. And, self deprecation or excuses made based on luck aside, he did earn that blade at the end of Book Two.

True but I'm specifically talking about this part in the fight with Be'lal:

The Dragon Reborn, page 590 posted:

Rand came back smoothly to a guard stance, trying not to let his sudden uncertainty show. A heron stood on the black blade, too, a bird so dark as to be nearly invisible. Once he had faced a man with a heron-mark blade of steel, and barely survived. He knew that he himself had no real right to the blademaster's mark; it had been on the sword his father had given to him, and when he thought of a sword in his hands, he thought of that sword.

I guess he is fully capable of "earning the mark", he had just not gone through the proper steps as far as attainment goes. (Just like being capable of doing something but not having the stamp of approval because you didn't take the proper class, or something.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
So I'm starting book 4. Please tell me the Seanchan wreak havoc this book, I missed them last book.

• Locked thread