Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
I'm actually slightly confused about the characterisation of Egwene. Every other character gets a few traits that more or less last throughout the entire series, and maybe get stronger if anything. Egwene started out as 'little girl who wants adventure and minorly to be powerful', turned into 'wants to be powerful and also keeps mentioning that she wants to learn everything despite not actually doing that much learning', then into just 'wants to be powerful and hates black sisters/seanchan a whole lot', then suddenly 'political genius who doesn't really do any learning any more, can't feel pain and cares only about keeping the community together'. I'm seeing no consistent threads there at all, and it always jarred me when there'd be a major event like becoming an apprentice or being made head honcho of the witches and suddenly I just couldn't recognise the character any more.

Hell, Rand's the insane one and yet at least he's consistent (if not truthful in dia/monologue) about what he's supposed to be caring about.

e: basically it really feels like someone else was meant to be amyrlin and become ..well a fanfic character in the last third of the series initially

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
I thought the Aelfinn/Eelfinn section was 100% Sanderson, with him saying that what he understood from how Moiraine would come back didn't seem to make sense and would have been really confusing or something? I seem to remember reading something like this and thinking that that entire section seemed a bit out of place with the rest of the book even then.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Data Graham posted:

I mean it's not like it's an inevitable logical extrapolation of his universe's rules, and even if it were, he didn't need to spend so much time focusing so graphically on it.

What, 'channelers in this nation are enslaved and treated like animals because they think they're dangerous' isn't a logical extrapolation of 'people in every nation are really loving terrified of male channelers, and marginally less of female channelers, because they literally destroyed the world' and 'someone in this nation figured out a way to enslave female channelers'? Maybe some people think it was focused on too much, but I feel like it's perfectly in tune with the story. This focus gave a bunch of characters some important traits (Egwene as an important example), gave some antagonists sympathetic events so that they're not just cartoonishly evil, and is a logical extension of one of the major conflicts in the book.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
Wasn't Mat's primary antagonist the gholam?

• Locked thread