Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Unspoilering things discussed in a chapter already reached.

Daedalus Esquire posted:

There are only two instances that I think have direct evidence.

Other then the flame and the void, which if you pay attention during Egwene's first training with Moiraine is very similar to her channeling instructions, the big thing I noticed is during their flight:

"...With all his heart and desperation he silently shouted at Bela to run like the wind, silently tried to will strength into her. Run! His skin prickled, and his bones felt as if they were freezing, ready to split open. The Light help her, run! And Bela ran."

This is later followed up with:

"..."You were right about your Bela, Rand," Moiraine said from where she stood by the mare. "She has a good heart, and as much stubborness as the rest of you Two Rivers folk. Strange as it seems, she may be the least weary of all."....

I think that is pretty clear evidence that he was channeling strength into the horse, and Moiraine probably wouldn't detect it because he was probably only channeling a trickle of the source while she was preoccupied with the Fade and flying thing.

If memory serves me right, while male channelers get goosebumps when women channel around them, female channelers don't get any reverse indication.

You're right, though, Rand was channeling there. Moiraine more than foreshadows it in TEOTW:21 when she's describing how Nynaeve learned to channel - the rough quote is "you wanted something more than you ever wanted anything, and you got it". Once you've seen that, you'll be keeping an eye out for all the other things she says at the same time.

Omnibobb, if we're switching to weekly we should strongly consider using spoilers with chapter markings for the first few days. Discussion of last week's goal isn't going to stop dead when the new goal is set. If we don't protect the current week's chapters, the slow readers won't be able to participate in existing discussion threads without being spoiled for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

cryptoclastic posted:

From chapter 15, Min's viewings. She says she sees "a bloody hand and a white-hot iron" around Rand.

A lot of stuff in WOT is derived from real myth-motifs, which should be obvious to anyone who's noticed the lead character is al'Thor and his girlfriend is Gwen al'Vere. It is excused by the cycle of time bringing everything up again.

In this particular instance, the white-hot iron could refer to (later books)the drawing of Callandor, which looks like a sword glowing white when it's used.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

omnibobb posted:

I love this series and all, but drat does everyone need a dose of listen to those with experience.

"tell me if you have bad dreams. I can help with bad dreams."
"derr, lets not tell herwe had bad dreams"

"hey, dont do this thing in shadar logoth"
does it anyway
"come on guys im serious, did you do it? If you did its super dangerous"
"no way, jose"

I know it's just a book and for plot development and stuff but everyones life would be so much easier if they stopped and talked for a bit. Especially later in the series.

Oh, yeah, but early on they have an excuse for not doing what Moiraine says - she's Aes Sedai. Everyone is afraid of the One Power, and almost nobody trusts Aes Sedai despite their Oaths. Much later on, a sister suggests that the Oaths actually hurt more than they help; Aes Sedai cannot lie, but as a result they've become so good at obfuscating that nobody ever believes they say what they mean anyway.

Also, Mat didn't believe he had done what Moiraine said not to do. He was told not to take anything he was offered, but so far as he was concerned he wasn't offered the dagger - he just took it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Prison Warden posted:

They are actually like 19. I dont know if its a retcon or anything, but in this book they mention they are "not yet twenty" and in book... 3 I think? They explicitly state they just recently turned twenty years old, and thats set like a year or so after this book.

To be exact: Rand was born on 25th November (equivalent) in 978NE, Mat and Perrin were born no more than a couple of weeks either side of that. TEOTW begins on March 23rd 998NE and the events of TDR occur between February and May of 999NE, so they'd all be about two or three months past their 20th birthdays at the start of the book.

Pimpmust, have you not heard of spoiler protection?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This should be what you're looking for. Beware spoilers for well literally everything.

http://wotfaq.dragonmount.com/

The WOTFAQ hasn't been updated in a little while. I got the timeline from WoTWiki - and beware, that really does contain spoilers as the prologue to book 4 is set before book 3. It's as accurate as can be, up to a point; Jordan used to be extremely diligent about checking phases of the Moon, but slacked off after book 9 when he just wanted to get the series finished.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Is New Spring going to be included in this re-read at any point?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

berenzen posted:

I'm pretty sure that she mainly kept the other two on as bait to confuse Ba'alzamon.

No, because Mat and Perrin were also both ta'veren. She remarks repeatedly how unusual it is to find three ta'veren in the same village, all born within weeks of each other.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

berenzen posted:

I'm surprised no one made the reference to the tales that are stated to be from "The Age before the Age of Legends" and how they are references to our Age.

Lenn, flying in the belly of an eagle full of fire- A reference to John Glenn, confirmed by RJ

His daughter, Salya, walking among the stars- A reference to Sally Ride, confirmed by RJ

Mosk the Giant, with his lance of fire that could reach around the world- Possibly a reference to Moscow

Elsbet, the Queen of All- Possibly a reference to Queen Elizabeth

Materese the Healer- possibly a reference to Mother Theresa

All of these are basically confirmed. You did, however, forget to mention that the tales of Anla, the Wise Counsellor are a reference to the advice column "Ask Ann Landers".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Transistor Rhythm posted:

It's "KAI-ree-in," right? My brain will never, ever stop saying "Care-Heen" no matter what I do.

KAI-ree-EHN.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Prison Warden posted:

Eganin is a different character.

And now it's time for!

Wheel of Time cliché corner!

Books Finished: 1
Braids Tugged: 1
Blood and Ashes!: 35
Woolhead: 6

I'm gonna try and keep a running tally as we go on, if anyone can think of anything else to add to the list, as long as it doesn't get too difficult to keep track of.

Most of the other ones people have suggested are minor and can be ignored, but you really can't miss out women folding their arms under their breasts.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

cryptoclastic posted:

In the chapter in the Ways, it's mentioned how walking through there was like walking on a treadmill. I think it might be the only time modern technology is mentioned in the series, at least that I noticed.

Nothing important really, just something that stood out to me for some reason.

The item to which you refer is not modern. The Greeks and Romans had them.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

DarkHorse posted:

One additional irony: our modern usage of the treadmill has come because rather than needing power to grind food to make it suitable for consumption, we have a surplus of calories and need to expend energy to burn off the excess! :haw:

Even more ironic: the previous use of treadmills before they were exercise machines was as punishment for criminals. People are actually paying $$$ to enjoy the luxurious amenities of a Victorian prison!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lascivious Sloth posted:

A few things of interest in that chapter and answer to your questions:
Some evidence suggests Ishamael is basically the Dark One incarnate. He is the only one who has been alive and affecting the world for 3000 years, with his hand in politics and influencing/making up prophecy.

Sorry, Sloth, but there's absolutely no evidence for that anywhere in the books and several pieces of evidence against it. It's just a Loony Theory.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Zore posted:

One of the really interesting things to not is how dead and separated the various nations and societies got over time. Back in Hawkwing's day there were a ton of nations jostling for room in the middle of the continent which has been turned into a sort of unsettled no man's land. There are huge swathes of what is now Andor especially that were abandoned and just never resettled.

I mean at one point Manetheran, the long stretch of land that now holds four villages of a few hundred people, rivaled Andor for size and population. The Westlands are in really, really heavy decline.

This is explicitly stated in the books when someone - probably Elayne, but it may be Moiraine - is talking about the Two Rivers technically being part of Andor. She says (roughly) that there's hardly a nation that claims as much on the map as it did fifty years ago, and even then they don't own everything they claim.

The Two Rivers was not the whole of Manetheren, BTW, it just happened to be where the capital was. Here's a diagram of Manetheren's territory:

As you can see, it claimed everything as far north as Baerlon and the whole of what is now Ghealdan. Now, see that river running east in the middle? The Two Rivers is the bit between that river's fork.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Gain 20 Pounds posted:

I don't remember which book mentions it, but certain named parts of the landmass used to be nations. Almoth Plain used to be Almoth. The Caralain Grass used to just be Caralain. The nations went under and no one ever bothered to claim the land.

I think there are more but I don't have the main map handy. It's sad I think WoT history is more interesting than my own country's history.

Almoth is claimed by both Arad Doman and Tarabon. It's not part of either nation because whenever one of them tries to annex it, the other fights them for it.

WOT history is more interesting than American history because there's more than 250 years of it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Neurosis posted:

Siuan is more distinctive and therefore a better character by virtue of the fact she doesn't have a couple of clones running around who speak and act in the exact same way she does. Still part of the mega-bitch archetype, though.

Well, there's bitches and there's bitches in the Wheel of Time. You'll hate the Wonder Girls whenever they do it, but on the other hand most people tend to like "Hell's Grannies"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Somewhere on the Internet there used to be a spoof sex scene where every position and technique was given the name of one of the sword-fighting forms. I can't find it now, but if you can it'll pretty much end this derail when you do.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

This unfortunately gets taken to the extreme in book 10 when we are treated to lots of different viewpoints as to what happened at the end of book 9. I would not have minded that much if book 10 had anything interesting happen in it at all other than page after page of Faile's captivity and Elayne being stupid. Not looking forward to that can of :can: when we get there...

Not to be a pedant, but your spoiler actually takes place in book 9.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

And stretches on into book 10, and book 11...

In fact I think the captivity actually happens at the end of book 8. Thats four drat books that Jordan drags that plotline out over.

You're right, I beg your pardon. The other thing, though, I don't know why you bothered to single it out as it happens in every book.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ramadu posted:

What is the 13x13 trick ?

If you haven't read TDR chapter 22, you shouldn't be reading spoilers.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

veekie posted:

^^ (Spoilers for Book 12)
Its a similar process I think. Fun part is when she was reading the Dark Prophecy, 'theres got to be something wrong with someone who calls words written in human blood "interesting"'. So many clues, and yet they all fail to show her essential nature.

That was explained easily enough by her being Brown Ajah. Moiraine had already thought that some Browns were so unworldly that they didn't think anything outside a book written 500 years ago could actually be important. She's exaggerating a bit, as most Aes Sedai seem prone to do when thinking of sisters from other ajahs, but Verin does fit the description better than a lot of Browns.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Book 13: Can people start putting the book number before the tags of the book they're spoiling when using spoiler tags, otherwise there is no point..

Anyway, wasn't it implied from moraine that one of the two sisters (verin or the other one) in the Two Rivers, when Perin was there, is black ajah?

Book 5 and later: She says in her letter that Rand should be as suspicious of Verin as he is of Alviarin, both of whom are Black. However, that comes immediately after her telling him not to trust any woman who has at that time earned the shawl. It's meant as a warning that there's no difference between an Aes Sedai Rand knows and thinks he can trust and any other sister. There's no indication that Moiraine knows either of them is Black.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ithaqua posted:

I don't think that's right... It's been a while since I read the books, but isn't Verin one of the oldest living Aes Sedai?

That claim is made at one point, I believe, but she's just shy of 150 when the story begins. That would put her well down on the Namelle sisters and Romanda, and only just over half as old as Cadsuane. I think we'll have to write it off to retcon by authorial fiat.

Edit: Aes Sedai are guided to their Ajah long before they're raised to the shawl. In the case of novices as strong as Siuan and Leane - both of whom were near the top of the ladder pre-stilling - it isn't unreasonable to assume someone would have an interest in starting the process before their Accepted test.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 7, 2012

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

veekie posted:

Egwene: "Nyneave only needed to see something done once to know how it is done."

Yeah, but before her block was broken she needed to be angry to see it.

On that subject, Nynaeve's block has always irked me. Once she knows she can channel, the thing that annoys her more than anything else is that she can't channel whenever she wants. Every time she ran up against her block, she would have immediately become angry enough to circumvent it.

Nynaeve not knowing she can channel is also a hoot, actually, given what channelling saidar feels like. "There was a time when you wanted something more than you've ever wanted anything. Then you had a full-body orgasm, and suddenly you got it."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

But when Rand consciously channels from the Eye he doesn't feel the normal "struggle against the freezing cold fire or be destroyed" thing either. The likely explanation is that Jordan didn't come up with the saidargasm until he wrote a chapter from the POV of a female channeller, which didn't happen until book 2.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

Does he ever explain what excatly the hedgehog ter'angreal does? The only thing I can figure is that it forces your body into a premade trap inside TAR or something. But if thats the case, then why didn't Perrin get sucked into a similar trap that Faile did? I guess you could argue its because Perrin has TAR wolf powers that make him immune. Or he's Ta'vereen. Or RJ didn't know what he was writing, but dammit it sounds cool so its going in the book.

Or because the trap can only spring on one person at a time. That's how most traps work.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Hobbes24 posted:

I always thought it was too bad Thom was too afraid of Aes Sedai to have a really skilled yellow fix that leg.

It wasn't the magnitude of the injury, it was the time since it had happened. Moiraine says so explicitly.

What the Aes Sedai call Healing these days is basic battlefield triage. It's designed to heal existing wounds, but can't do anything about the lingering after-effects of an old injury. The Yellow Ajah is comprised of sisters who have a natural talent for that particular weave and for Delving, which is using the One Power to make a diagnosis.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

veekie posted:

Moiraine despite being Blue(and thus politically oriented), boasts a wide array of battle magic, especially simple combat magic appropriate to small scale conflicts.

Not despite - because. The Greys are the politically oriented Ajah, whereas the Blues are devoted to causes. Sometimes you have to fight for a cause, so the Blues will all know some battle magic. Having chosen as her cause the finding the Dragon Reborn and guiding him to victory in Tar'mon Gaidon, Moiraine is really a Green in all but name anyway.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

Triage. Not bein' a dick, I didn't know the meaning until I looked it up either and learning is fun!

Don't worry, I know what it means too and it's not incorrect. The combat weave has the unfortunate side effect of killing the patient if the wound is too severe, and it also requires quite a bit of strength from the channeler making it. On the battlefield a channeler would divide the casualties into those who didn't need OP treatment and those who needed to be taken to a real Healer, with those who could be Healed and sent back out to fight in the middle.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

A Terrible Person posted:

What?

He basically explained things along the lines of triage. Aes Sedai heal those most in need of it who will survive. They expend some energy on those who might be hopeless (presumably) and save the last of their energy for those who would likely get better via traditional healthcare practices.

The specific order may be wrong, but the books themselves have a character specifically referring to Aes Sedai healing as comparable to battle triage. He's not being willfully ignorant, you're just being anal about definition specifics.

Exactly. Since learning is fun, here's the most basic method of triage as taken from the linked Wiki article:

quote:

At its most primitive, those responsible for the removal of the wounded from a battlefield or their care afterwards have divided victims into three categories:

Those who are likely to live, regardless of what care they receive;
Those who are likely to die, regardless of what care they receive;
Those for whom immediate care might make a positive difference in outcome.

Now, consider that a channeler using the emergency weave on the battlefield isn't going to have much to offer in the way of care other than Healing. That changes the categories to:

Those who are likely to live, even if they are not Healed;
Those who are likely to die, even if they are Healed;
Those for whom Healing might make a positive difference in outcome.

Which is exactly what I said, in the order I said it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

werdnam posted:

Well, I'm not finished with TSR yet, and I don't remember how everything works out specifically, but with what I've read so far, this is an understandable belief. She's stares at Rand with murderous rage when she comes back from the rings in Rhuidean, is angry with him all the time, constantly lectures him about how he treated Elayne, and Rand think she hates him.

Spoilers for books 5-7: You're right, Aviendha hates Rand because of what she sees when she goes to Rhuidean. What she sees is that she will fall in love with him, which will dishonour her because she's promised Elayne that she will watch out for Rand. Worse than that, she also sees she can't even keep it platonic because if she does it will go badly for the Aiel. Either she betrays her people or she betrays herself, and all because of him.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

werdnam posted:

One question, though: I never really got why walking through the glass columns in Rhuidean was so dangerous for the Aiel clan-chiefs-to-be. Later, Rhuarc says that no more than one in three survive the trip. I guess I just can't quite buy that the revelations about their past are so traumatic that it drives them to suicide. Is it part of the whole honor and ji'e'toh thing?

It isn't suicide. The column ter'angreal requires you to take a step forward to trigger each new vision, and won't release you until you've gone all the way back to the beginning. The Aiel who disappear inside the columns reach a point where they cannot bear to take their next step, and so like the novices who disappear in the Acceptatron, they never emerge.

It is all part of ji'e'toh, though. Aiel are raised from birth to believe in the honour and strength of their people. The clan chief candidates then find out their ancestors forsook their sworn loyalty to the Aes Sedai because they weren't strong enough to follow a philosophy the Aiel despise for its perceived weakness - the ultimate shame on every level. The Aiel who become clan chiefs are the ones who are strong enough to bear that shame.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Sgt Froggy posted:

Slightly off topic, can someone please point me to a "how to" for doing the redacted text sections? I was looking through the various rules sections but I didn't find much for that. I do not wish to spoil anything for others, nor do I want to find myself on a probation for doing it incorrectly.

Quote any post with redaction in unquoted text (e.g. Werdnam's last post) and you'll see the tags.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

I quibble with Sanderson's gross overuse of the word 'politics' and - Characters use it constantly in ToM, and I've only ever found a single instance of the word in the books Jordan wrote - referring to Daes Dae'mar would be more in keeping with the characters in my opinion.

Depends what they're doing. Daes Dae'mar is only played within realms, for the most part. It's about jockeying for position, and you can't do that in a kingdom where you hold no rank.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

based on the political situation at the start of the series, before the Forsaken and Rand have had a chance to mix things up:

Paitar Nachiman is king of Arafel, Easar Togita is king of Shienar, Alsalam Saeed Almadar is the king of Arad Doman, Andric is the King of Tarabon (although constitutionally The king of Tarabon shares power with the Panarch, who is always a woman, and they have different areas of responsibility), Mattin Stepaneos den Balgar is the King of Illian (although Illian has an early form of democracy with power divided between a council of nobles and a council of commoners from the merchant/shipping classes), Ailron is King of Amadicia (though he doesn't so much as take a poo poo without asking Pedron Niall first), Roedran Almaric do Arreloa a'Naloy is king of Murandy and Galldrian su Riatin Rie is King of Cairhein.

I'm fairly sure Ghealdan had a king at the start of the story as well, but Ghealdan changes monarchs like most people change their underwear.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

DarkHorse posted:

I agree, it is an incredibly clever way to portray a swordfight in compact prose: you use a short evocative phrase that can convey direction, strength, subtlety, or whatever in an amount of time that it would be possible to think if you're fighting almost on instinct. Fighting between two matched fencers should stretch them so far there's no time for complex thought, and bogging down the narrative with detailed description slows the (mental) action down.

And better yet, you don't actually have to know anything about swordfighting to write it. This avoids the literary equivalent of parrying with the edge.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Pimpmust posted:

There's not exactly a lot of Clan Chiefs to go around though, and there seem to be millions of aiel. A tall order to try to keep all of those educated.

You're assuming that only the Clan Chiefs can read or teach. It's more likely that the Aiel teach all their children. Randland is not fully literate, though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Daedalus Esquire posted:

I really like and hate Perrin at the same time. On one hand, he's a really great example of a transformational leader, but his refusal to accept it gets really grating.

And Faile. Faile is like a ta'veren for annoying dumb bitches and any plotline she's involved in is spoiled from the off.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Daedalus Esquire posted:

I get the arabic, but I saw them as Irish, redheads and blondes with the odd dark aiel here and there.

Not exactly spoilery, but later on it becomes clear that Murandians speak with an Irish accent. The Aiel do physically match Gaels though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Two Finger posted:

What's so bad about Myrelle?

Well, she gives into blackmail, refuses to listen to people who obviously know better than she does, and refuses to pass Lan's bond to Nynaeve even after Nynaeve marries him. On top of which, her vagina has magical sanity-resuscitating powers that at one point she was bestowing on four or five guys simultaneously - and she was also looking to bond Mat as a Warder to make it six. Apart from that, though, there's nothing wrong with Myrelle.

• Locked thread